Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, it's pretty baffling they would do a thing like that. It's like attacking someone for wearing a hearing aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No, it's not like that at all unless the hearing aid can capture people's images against their will, which is the attacker's complaint.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Brainamp posted:

Wait, so why did they attack him? Because he had a loving thing over his eye?

Apparently someone else was recently attacked by staff for trying to take a picture of the McDonald's menu. I guess it's a company policy or something and they assumed he was trying to do some corporate espionage poo poo (of the inside of a mcdonald's??)

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I preordered DX:HR, but since I had many other games to work through, I decided to save it for my deployment. I have diligently avoided all information, spoilers, etc., and still have yet to browse this thread. I just wanted to post my impressions as a newcomer to the game.

I have no idea how many times I've played DX in myriad combinations (mods, styles, self-challenges, etc.). After several aborted attempts to play Invisible War, I doubted that there would ever be a worthy successor to DX. I approached DX:HR with trepidation, sure that I would be let down in some major way. To some degree, I dared to hope; this is the only game I have ever pre-ordered.

The opening cutscene began. My heart raced as I recognized Bob Page's voice. There were allusions to places and plans that I'm sure would make sense after my first playthrough, much like the Page-Simons conversation in DX. Was this a sign that the creators had identified the iconic elements of the first game or a simple homage?

The initial tutorial level had a scripted sequence followed by a very linear corridor level. Uh-oh. Looks like all of the free-roaming, RPG elements would be forsaken for another pretty cover shooter. :(

Surprise! How about a UNATCO-style building where you can snoop on your coworkers email and :pervert: barge in on the women's bathroom?

Suffice to say, the rest of the experience was amazing. It was everything I could have hoped for in a modern follow-up to DX. The designers clearly understood what made DX great: the RPG elements, subtle but lasting consequences to decisions, multiple options for playing style. I guess one could criticize the boss fights as demanding straight combat, but even the DX bosses usually required manipulating the AI or glitching to avoid the fights (excepting that you could flee from Simons without too much trouble with the right augs).

I really appreciate that, like DX, they picked a deeper theme to explore. Instead of "How should the world be ruled?" we got "What does it mean to be human? To evolve?"

I decided that for my first playthrough, I would play Adam Jensen as a pure-hearted, life-preserving, stealthy detective who leaves no stone unturned. Without really trying to do so, I got both the nonlethal achievement and "Foxiest of the Hounds". Actually, I got all of them but the books and hardest difficulty achievements.

For my second playthrough, Adam is a bitter, alcoholic psychopath who kills anyone and everyone :black101:, never passes up a chance to down some booze, and has a compulsion to flush every toilet in the world. I literally did not hold any guns on my first playthrough except the Stungun, PEP (barely used), and Tranq rifle. I didn't use any explosives except a handful of EMPs on robots. No turrets were turned on the enemy. So I'm learning the firearms, explosives, lethal takedowns, etc. for the very first time. Likewise, instead of immediately pursuing the CASIE, cloak, and silent running, I'm going with dermal armor, reflexes, strength, aim, etc. early on. It feels like an entirely different game.

Interestingly, I'm finding the game much harder this way. Partly, this is because I increased the difficulty level. But the nonlethal weapons and takedowns are very potent, and with experience I could eliminate large groups of enemies silently if necessary. Ie hope the pistols or a rifle can accommodate a silencer!

I can't wait to uncover the plot elements and changes I didn't choose the first time. I'm hoping that I can keep Dr. Reed from joining Page. How could you, Megan?

If I could mod the game, I think I would have Adam's entire energy bar slowly recharge. Relying on consumables to refill all but the first battery was a bit annoying. Maybe having the Icarus stun completely knock out enemies within a certain radius for a cool takedown on ghost runs would be nice.

I bought The Missing Link as well, and I'll give it a go when I've had my fill of mayhem in the main game.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Efexeye posted:

No, it's not like that at all unless the hearing aid can capture people's images against their will, which is the attacker's complaint.

A hearing aid could potentially superstitiously record a conversation, which in most countries is SIGNIFICANTLY more illegal than recording video.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I actually never, ever used the PEPS (I doing a half-rear end pacifistic run). Is it good? Does it do anything neat?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Camel Pimp posted:

I actually never, ever used the PEPS (I doing a half-rear end pacifistic run). Is it good? Does it do anything neat?

It's a pretty fun toy. Great for groups.

Can't rocket-jump with it, though. :(

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Camel Pimp posted:

It#s handy near the endgame for getting rid of large crowds of bad dudes coming your way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think Tracer Tong had something to say about this. Awesome technology is awesome. Awesome technology you can't take off and that other people may rip out your skull to get rid of: perhaps less awesome.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Speedball posted:

I think Tracer Tong had something to say about this. Awesome technology is awesome. Awesome technology you can't take off and that other people may rip out your skull to get rid of: perhaps less awesome.

Email from the incident in question has been released.

Dr. Steve Mann posted:

Might I sugest again, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday, at McDnald's, some scum we all know pushes burger for MCD gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam asalt gun. If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter. Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Camel Pimp posted:

It's a non-lethal pulse that knocks out anyone hit by it. You can totally use it on a pacifist run.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Camel Pimp posted:

It goes through enemies and can hit several of them. The problem is getting a multi-enemy hit requires breaking cover for a contrived shot most of the time (which will get you shot), it makes a lot of noise, it makes it very hard to see anything for a while after it's fired, and it has a massive reload time.

I dislike it. If I want to incap a bunch of enemies, I'd rather use a gas grenade, or a stun grenade followed by stun gun/takedown spam.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

OneEightHundred posted:

It goes through enemies and can hit several of them. The problem is getting a multi-enemy hit requires breaking cover for a contrived shot most of the time (which will get you shot), it makes a lot of noise, it makes it very hard to see anything for a while after it's fired, and it has a massive reload time.

I dislike it. If I want to incap a bunch of enemies, I'd rather use a gas grenade, or a stun grenade followed by stun gun/takedown spam.

Someone mod a replacement: Pepper Spray. Make sure it's effective on lasers like in DX.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The PEPS helps turn the last stage from "exercise in frustration" to "pretty bearable, I guess," so I highly recommend it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I don't know if I got extremely lucky or ran into a bug or what but I tried using the PEPS on the 2nd boss and she kind of freaked out and got stuck in the same loop while I shot her in the head with my pistol, so it has that going for it :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I didn't use it too much during my pacifist runs, but I liked having it on me for problem solving. If you can't get close enough to stungun someone or do a takedown, and they're moving around or behind some poo poo so you can't tag them with a tranq dart, it's the perfect solution. Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, it's great for groups. Later in the game, some more heavily armored enemies are only stunned by it, not knocked right out, so my strategy changed to "PEPS, close the gap while he's dazed, then 'kiss my shiny metal fist'"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The PEPS is also one of the best options for completely frying those infuriating robot sentries that appear in the late game and also turrets as easily as possible...I would never play without it.

Also worth mentioning that a fully upgraded typhoon is basically an 'I win' button for the bosses.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I always get the Typhoon as soon as possible, just to avoid boss battles. I can complete those in a maximum of five minutes, so I can get back to the main game.
Boxguards are also easily bypassed with that.
It's a sound investment, just to get by those bosses.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

KillHour posted:

A hearing aid could potentially superstitiously record a conversation, which in most countries is SIGNIFICANTLY more illegal than recording video.

A cellphone or a watch could do both of these too, if you want to be really paranoid. I hate to sound like some horrible :911: American, but this is far from the first time some French people have discriminated against and/or assaulted someone for looking different. Not saying it doesn't happen everywhere (it does) but France is pretty notorious for having some pretty vocal and aggressive racists running around that the cops literally do nothing about. (And sometimes it's the cops that are beating you) It's become a pretty big problem for Orthodox Jews and Arabs over there, lately.

Again, it happens in a lot of places... just bringing it up because this all happened in Paris, and it was Paris that was leading the way in anti-Arab immigrant hate crimes about 2 years ago.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Iacen posted:

I always get the Typhoon as soon as possible, just to avoid boss battles. I can complete those in a maximum of five minutes, so I can get back to the main game.
Boxguards are also easily bypassed with that.
It's a sound investment, just to get by those bosses.

Man, I just realized how much the game rewards you for stealth. Even though I'm playing a violent run-through, I think I'm going to beef up hacking stealth just to farm XP.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Fuzz posted:

A cellphone or a watch could do both of these too, if you want to be really paranoid. I hate to sound like some horrible :911: American, but this is far from the first time some French people have discriminated against and/or assaulted someone for looking different. Not saying it doesn't happen everywhere (it does) but France is pretty notorious for having some pretty vocal and aggressive racists running around that the cops literally do nothing about. (And sometimes it's the cops that are beating you) It's become a pretty big problem for Orthodox Jews and Arabs over there, lately.

Again, it happens in a lot of places... just bringing it up because this all happened in Paris, and it was Paris that was leading the way in anti-Arab immigrant hate crimes about 2 years ago.

Paris: the most beautiful city on Earth, ruined by all the Parisians. -Earth: The Book

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Did I really type "superstitiously" instead of "surreptitiously"? :psyduck:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KillHour posted:

Did I really type "superstitiously" instead of "surreptitiously"? :psyduck:

Don't worry about it, man. It's common knowledge that all augmentations are full of bad luck ghosts. Thankfully, I haven't had too many problems with my finger augmentations hey it's abe lincoln here, i got shot in the head--just so you know, mercury isn't exactly the best treatment for a wound like that. not sure if you guys and gals have figured that out but whatever

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I got this as a gift the other day (apparently my brother got it as a bonus for buying something else on steam? I dunno) and I'm sort of enjoying it. The cover system seems a little clunky, but okay.

That said, are you not able to return to doing side quests after you stop the transmission and get sent to the FEMA death camp thing that has the mercs? A buddy said to get my poo poo together before moving on, but I didn't expect to get pulled out of the midst of the gang territory and hadn't finished Cloak & Dagger yet.

That said, any recommendations for augments? I've been doing a stealthy assassin kind of thing, trying not to get caught by groups of guys and aggressively maneuvering behind cover to pop up and headshot with my silenced pistol, since the other weapons seem like garbage in comparison. I bought an inventory expansion, super mario jumps, a level of recharge bonus and a level of cloak so far. Hopefully I haven't screwed up and not earned enough praxis points so far?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Synnr posted:

I got this as a gift the other day (apparently my brother got it as a bonus for buying something else on steam? I dunno) and I'm sort of enjoying it. The cover system seems a little clunky, but okay.

That said, are you not able to return to doing side quests after you stop the transmission and get sent to the FEMA death camp thing that has the mercs? A buddy said to get my poo poo together before moving on, but I didn't expect to get pulled out of the midst of the gang territory and hadn't finished Cloak & Dagger yet.

That said, any recommendations for augments? I've been doing a stealthy assassin kind of thing, trying not to get caught by groups of guys and aggressively maneuvering behind cover to pop up and headshot with my silenced pistol, since the other weapons seem like garbage in comparison. I bought an inventory expansion, super mario jumps, a level of recharge bonus and a level of cloak so far. Hopefully I haven't screwed up and not earned enough praxis points so far?

You get a chance to finish off this set of sidequests after the warehouse but before you leave for the next location. The game is nice enough to warn you when you're at a point of no return/

Aug wise, Hacking Capture and Hacking Stealth are very useful, and punching though walls is as useful as it is awesome. Icarus Landing System is useful too, since fall damage in this game is ridiculous, and being able to leap out of windows saves a lot of time. There's loads of Praxis points available in the game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Synnr posted:

Cloak is fairly useless, and remember when buying energy recharge that only your last cell recharges once depleted, you have to use items for the other cells.

Personally I find it's best to get two points into typhoon before you finish the fema questline, and horde/buy as much typhoon ammo you can find.

Other than that, I suggest keeping a peps on you for killing robots and turrets and buying the dual take down augment and the rest of the inventory expansion.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Cloak is fairly useless, and remember when buying energy recharge that only your last cell recharges once depleted, you have to use items for the other cells.

Cloak is useful for all playstyles, since you can bypass laser alarms, use it to escape or flank hostile enemies since they move to your last seen position, or to sneak past tricky patrols. Since candybars are really only useful for when you want to do multiple takedowns immediately, or typhooning bosses, there's not really any reason to not use cloak whenever you feel like it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gils posted:

Cloak is useful for all playstyles, since you can bypass laser alarms, use it to escape or flank hostile enemies since they move to your last seen position, or to sneak past tricky patrols. Since candybars are really only useful for when you want to do multiple takedowns immediately, or typhooning bosses, there's not really any reason to not use cloak whenever you feel like it.

Cloak gets amazing once you invest a few points in it since it makes moving through areas packed with piles of bad guys much faster.

You want to invest in other Augs first such as Jump and wall smash since it allows you rake in extra Praxis points earlier on in the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Max cloak + silent spring + fast spring + longer sprint = completely bypass entire rooms of guards.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Max cloak + silent spring + fast spring + longer sprint = completely bypass entire rooms of guards.

Cloak doesn't last nearly long enough to be worth using, and considering you can get through every part of the game stealthily without it, I have always seen it as a waste of praxis

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Cloak doesn't last nearly long enough to be worth using, and considering you can get through every part of the game stealthily without it, I have always seen it as a waste of praxis

Cloak can be exceedingy useful in a few places while you're in Hengsha.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gils posted:

Cloak is useful for all playstyles, since you can bypass laser alarms,

Those aren't a problem as long as you have the stun-gun. Just shoot the laser emitter and the charge disables the laser for a while.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cloak lasts for a couple of seconds because it's for those situations where you MUST pass through an enemy's field of vision, like ducking between two cover points in front of a guard. It's a stealth enhancer, not a stealth-GIVER.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The cloak was really good for escaping that one ambush.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Iacen posted:

Those aren't a problem as long as you have the stun-gun. Just shoot the laser emitter and the charge disables the laser for a while.

...and just like DX1, I'm still learning things long after finishing the game :psyduck:

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I'm new to the series, should I grab the pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15147/) or just get Human Revolution?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

J3ng4 posted:

I'm new to the series, should I grab the pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15147/) or just get Human Revolution?

I can't view the contents with my phone, but the first DX is a must, and has the bonus of enhancing the HR experience as there are tons of references. Invisible War is meh.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The first game is a classic, the new one is pretty good too, for my money I'd say get the pack and play in whatever order you want.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

J3ng4 posted:

Depends.

The first one is still well worth playing, but if you're adverse to decade-old graphics and a fairly clunky AI, that might be a problem. But if not, go for it. You'll have a blast. I'd even suggest playing this one first so you can see the similarities and differences between it and Human Revolution.

Invisible War is...well, not so good. There are some good parts, don't get me wrong, but as a whole, it's kind of a mess, especially after the gameplay of Deus Ex. If you're down for playing a sub-par sequel to finish the storyline of the series, I'd say go for it.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Thanks, bought the pack. Going to play through the first one now, appreciate the help (honestly it was too good to pass up I just needed the nudge)

• Locked thread