Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

-Don't overuse Seth at first, spread out exp among your weaker units and only bring him in when you're in a pickle. Taking away his weapons and using him to tank can be pretty helpful. Once your units are somewhat caught up though, feel free to start using him. He has really good growths.
-You have to bring Eirika/Ephraim on a lot of chapters, so don't neglect them. Ephraim is fantastic, so this shouldn't be a problem in his case. Eirikia's good too, just frail early on.
-The trainee units (Ross, Amelia, Ewan) take a lot of grinding or patience to use. They'll be good, but barring Ross who joins early enough to easily level, not worth the effort.
-The Bishop class (a promoted Mage, Monk or healer), deals effective damage to monsters, so they're pretty ridiculous.
-Any enemy with a portrait that's not a boss is recruitable.
-You don't have to grind at the tower to beat the game. There's nothing wrong with doing so, but there aren't any unfair difficult spikes either.
-Most characters are pretty viable to use, although Garcia and Gilliam are some early game options that are kind of meh.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

-Don't overuse Seth at first, spread out exp among your weaker units and only bring him in when you're in a pickle. Taking away his weapons and using him to tank can be pretty helpful. Once your units are somewhat caught up though, feel free to start using him. He has really good growths.
-You have to bring Eirika/Ephraim on a lot of chapters, so don't neglect them. Ephraim is fantastic, so this shouldn't be a problem in his case. Eirikia's good too, just frail early on.
-The trainee units (Ross, Amelia, Ewan) take a lot of grinding or patience to use. They'll be good, but barring Ross who joins early enough to easily level, not worth the effort.
-The Bishop class (a promoted Mage, Monk or healer), deals effective damage to monsters, so they're pretty ridiculous.
-Any enemy with a portrait that's not a boss is recruitable.

Aha. Welp, doesn't seem like there's a lot of "tricks" to this game, just playing good.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Is there any silly little things I need to know about Fallout: NV
I've played Fallout 3 and I know there's a thread and a million guides online but I don't want to spoil anything.
All I want to know is are there any big things I need to know about.
Also when should I take on the DLC and in what order?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Aha. Welp, doesn't seem like there's a lot of "tricks" to this game, just playing good.

Yeah not really. It's one of the easier games in the series, so it's pretty newbie friendly. One thing that might catch you up though; I wouldn't use more then around 10-12 characters. Promotion items are limited, and unpromoted units aren't really viable past a certain point.

Two more things I thought of actually. In chapter 14, you can recruit a character with an item called the member card. Stand on a certain tile on certain maps with the member card, and you'll get access to shops selling really good items. The shops are in Chapters 14 and 19, here's a map as to where to find them:

http://serenesforest.net/fe8/secret.htm

Similarly, there's a map that takes place on a desert. Hidden in the desert are various treasures, have a thief step on the general area of one and they'll get one for sure, anybody else has a luck+1 chance of getting one. Again, here's a map:

http://serenesforest.net/fe8/desert.htm

Obviously, neither of these things are essential, and are pretty much the requisite stuff put in the game to sell guides.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

While I'm at it, lemme add my own tip: press R in armories to get a detailed look at equipment.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I've played Fallout 3 and I know there's a thread and a million guides online but I don't want to spoil anything.

I would suggest getting the Delay DLC Quests mod and then just diving in. The DLCs normally pop up quests as soon as you start the game telling you where to go to do them and they are little spoilery. Also if you have the edition with all the preorder packs included I highly recommend you dump most of the stuff it gives you or you will be rather overpowered and rich starting off.

Other than that its mechanically very much like fallout 3 so your experience playing 3 will do you well. Speech is somewhat more important I think and make sure you read the skill descriptions as some have changed. I wouldn't worry about min-maxing on a first playthrough and just enjoy it. Its also good about making it abundantly clear when you are passing a no turning back point in the plot, I think it even pops up a message that says as much so don't worry about messing things up too much.

As for doing the DLCs they have a popup that tells you what levels are recommended before you enter them as you can't leave freely for a bit with each of them. I haven't done all the DLC so I don't know if they will spoil the main story.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Play through the DLC in release order, so Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and then Lonesome Road. They're individual side stories but each one also contains buildup for the last one and they're all pretty awesome in their own ways. Dead Money recommends level 20 or higher but I've done it at level 10 and didn't find it hard, other people absolutely hated it though so your mileage may vary. It does have some quite high speech checks and lockpicking doors so maybe get those skills up before going in if that stuff is important to you.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

As with any Bethesda "Big RPG", if you're the casual sort, leave the difficulty at the default level, and build your character however strikes your fancy. If you're a more serious gamer, crank the difficulty to max, start with 9 INT, 7-8 END, and 1 CHA, and tag Repair, Speech and one combat skill.

There only thing you need to know is that if you are wearing a faction's armor, people will think you are a member of that faction. For example, you will be attacked if you return to Goodsprings wearing Powder Ganger armor. There are no missables, although you can't do everything in one playthrough.

As for the DLC, the only one I really enjoyed was Old World Blues, mostly due to the constant infusion of goofball humor. Dead Money sucked, the other two were just ok.

P.S. If you can't figure out how to make it to Nellis AFB, just take two doses of Turbo and run for it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Alteisen posted:

Just grabbed Witcher 1 extended edition, anything I should know before I start? Keep hearing about a learning curve in regards to combat.

Get Aard sigh stun upgrade early, most enemies in game are not stun-immune, even bosses, and you can kill a stunned enemy in single blow.
Also invest in group style, it awesomely reverses the situation when you're outnumbered(which is, to say, pretty much all the time) - the more enemies are next to you the harder it hits on all of them at once.
Use potions all the time, ingredients are plentiful, also try to brew potions with secondary effect for extra kick(same color ring around all ingredients).
Sell ingredients with chemical names(salts, acids, crystals etc) for money when you find some, brew potions from weeds and monster organs you collect, the difference in price is huge. Also grab all the vodkas you find for potion bases, buying it is too expensive and nobody minds you stealing the drinks from their home.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

thebardyspoon posted:

Play through the DLC in release order, so Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and then Lonesome Road. They're individual side stories but each one also contains buildup for the last one and they're all pretty awesome in their own ways. Dead Money recommends level 20 or higher but I've done it at level 10 and didn't find it hard, other people absolutely hated it though so your mileage may vary. It does have some quite high speech checks and lockpicking doors so maybe get those skills up before going in if that stuff is important to you.

I like to flip the order of Dead Money and Honest Hearts, mostly because how the skill requirements pan out. It doesn't negatively impact the overarching plot, and if you get to HH around level 15, you'll be right in the ideal range for the .45 acp weapons.

Outside of which DLC order to go in, the best bet for playing New Vegas the first time is to just let it happen. Don't worry about getting the optimal play experience, just shoot things when you feel violent, talk them down when you feel merciful and explore when and where the wanderlust strikes you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gynovore posted:

As for the DLC, the only one I really enjoyed was Old World Blues, mostly due to the constant infusion of goofball humor. Dead Money sucked, the other two were just ok.
Standard argument completion: and there are people who think Dead Money was the best of the four, and that Honest Hearts was so bad that the people who made it should be ashamed. Pretty much everyone agrees that Old World Blues was good or great, though, and that Lonesome Road probably had too much combat but was super-memorable and felt post-apocalyptic in a way no other game really ever has.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
If you're playing NV on the PC, check out the modding thread. There's quite a few things that will improve your experience even for a vanilla first time run. Also - just go for it. It's another great Obsidian game and the plot and dialogue reflects that.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Quarex posted:

Standard argument completion: and there are people who think Dead Money was the best of the four, and that Honest Hearts was so bad that the people who made it should be ashamed. Pretty much everyone agrees that Old World Blues was good or great, though, and that Lonesome Road probably had too much combat but was super-memorable and felt post-apocalyptic in a way no other game really ever has.

People's opinions vary wildly on the quality of each DLC. I guess its a testament to the fact that New Vegas is a lot of things to a lot of people. Someone who enjoyed tense, stealthy, close-quarters combat might like Dead Money, someone who preferred unguided exploration and observation would get a kick out of Honest Hearts, someone who felt that the humorous writing and pop culture references were the strongest part of the game would love Old World Blues and someone who really got into the overarching philosophical narrative of the game would like Lonesome Road the most.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

While I'm at it, lemme add my own tip: press R in armories to get a detailed look at equipment.

Keep an eye for someone called Amelia, recruit this girl AT ALL COSTS.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Kind of got lost last page, any advice for Gratiutious Tank Battles or A Valley Without Wind?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well I got Crusader Kings II and am absolutely terrified. Can I play this game without being a master of medieval heraldry?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pyromancer posted:

Also grab all the vodkas you find for potion bases, buying it is too expensive and nobody minds you stealing the drinks from their home.
Perhaps more importantly, there is a very simple formula (which I think you learn in the prologue) to turn any alcohol into a top-tier potion base. Turn all the cheap booze you grab into White Gull and not only will that spare you from purchasing the expensive stuff, you will save a lot of inventory slots by only needing one stack for alchemy bases.

Still on The Witcher, don't be afraid to craft a meteorite sword as soon as you have any three stones, instead of waiting for a "good" combination. There's several unique swords scattered throughout the game that are generally better than anything you can craft at those points, so unless you rush through the main quest those meteorite pieces will quickly become vendor fodder.

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door
Just picked up the Silent Hill HD Collection, but I know absoultly nothing about Silent Hill in general.
Anything I should know?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Well I got Crusader Kings II and am absolutely terrified. Can I play this game without being a master of medieval heraldry?

It's pretty intimidating at first, yeah. Take a look at Kersch's excellent LP over here, it's kind of like an extended tutorial.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ungrateful Dead posted:

Just picked up the Silent Hill HD Collection, but I know absoultly nothing about Silent Hill in general.
Anything I should know?
This is mostly for Silent Hill 2:

The games can be easily cheesed with melee weapons because most enemies walk in straight lines and have close range attacks. Conserve your ammo when you can and just bash enemies in the head or simply avoid them when running through the streets. Not so much for SH3 because enemies are generally more agile but melee weapons are always awesome.

The exits to town are dead ends but usually include hints on where you're supposed to go as well as ammo and items. If you're lost then just explore and the game will eventually guide you to the correct path.

The endings to SH2 are determined by a variety of factors I don't want to spoil but the most important thing is to listen to a conversation that occurs at the very end of the game. You'll be walking down a hallway while people are talking in the distance (it's the only time it occurs actually). Listen to the entire thing before continuing.

If you bump into a guy with a steel contraption on his head wielding a giant sword, it's a good idea to run and don't stop.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

So I just bought Gothic 2 without entirely realizing that it's a 10 year old game and therefore clunky compared to modern games. What should I know about it before I start?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ungrateful Dead posted:

Anything I should know?
I wrote this up for Silent Hill 1:

quote:

Getting the best ending is kind of tricky without knowing how to do it before hand. It has nothing to do with your deaths or number of saves or something like that (however stuff like that does matter for Silent Hill 2), but rather there are just a few small, but very specific, sidequests you have to do. One determines whether you get the Good or Bad ending, while the other determines whether you get the Good/Bad or Good+/Bad+ (basically just an enhancement of the previous endings).

Without spoiling it completely, I'll give a few hints I suppose...since half the fun is figuring out the puzzle anyway.

Getting the Good ending:

-Go to Annie's Bar when you get the chance

-Try to figure out how to open the gas tank in the motorcycle you find in a certain location

Getting Good+/Bad+:

-Try to figure out a way to pick up the liquid on the ground in the hospital

-You'll want to use it during a certain boss fight (not the last one)

Except for that final line, all of these things should be something you can do as soon as you discover them. In other words, don't just gloss them over and expect to have a chance to go back and do them later.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The first Silent Hill isn't in the collection, it's just the 2nd and 3rd games.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

What's the good word on Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga? Picked this up on Steam, and it seems pretty neato from the hour or so I've played so far.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I have one for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD:

--If you care about achievements or unlockables at all, don't pick Tony Hawk to go through the levels with. There is an achievement for unlocking a hidden character that is attainable by finishing all the objectives on the final level. Unfortunate thing is, it can be done with any character save for Tony Hawk.

You can always pick another character (including your avatar, which is neat) and go through the game again, but it irks me I spent time on the one character that can't get the achievement for what I did.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I strongly suspect I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but...

Any advice for Fable III? I've played the first but not the second.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

theshim posted:

The gameplay and difficulty can best be described as "for babies", just do whatever the gently caress you feel like and enjoy the humor.

In the latter half of the game, there is a time based countdown that leads to the endgame. While it's only advanced by doing story missions, there's a pretty massive timeskip with one of the missions that catches people off guard. Basically, don't get on the steamboat until all your affairs are in order

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bastastic posted:

So I just bought Gothic 2 without entirely realizing that it's a 10 year old game and therefore clunky compared to modern games. What should I know about it before I start?

I haven't yet finished the game, but here's a couple things I wish I hadn't learned the hard way.

-It's an open world game, but exploration is highly level dependent. Basically, if a monster can kill you in one or two hits, retreat and quest in a safer area until you have some more experience.

-Hand to hand combat is based on timing. It definitely takes getting used to, but a safe starting strategy is to constantly swing your sword from left to right. Practice out of combat to get used to each weapon's timing so you can swing it without interruptions.

-The backwards dodge is your best defensive tool. Use it often, especially against monsters because...

-Blocking only works against humanoids.

-There is loot and herbs everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It's a goddamn medieval easter egg hunt. As in there are about 3 stashes within 30 seconds of the start of the game. Jump on top of roofs. Look under bushes and in dark corners. Climb onto every rock and mantle onto every cliff. The scrolls and potions you find will save your rear end in the early game, and everything else can be eaten or sold.

-Don't apprentice with the alchemist. Some herbs can be brewed into permanent stat boosts, so giving them away to an npc is a waste.

Good luck, it's an impressive and surprisingly good looking game for it's age, even if the interface is a bit "special".

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 22, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any tips for Radiata Stories? The wiki only tells me to recruit either humans or non-humans. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, since no one else has any, and I've sunk several hours into this game now.

A Valley Without Wind
  • Check out the official wiki when you get a chance. It doesn't give away any major spoilers, and is really more like a more-detailed BeforeIPlay. Most of these tips are covered in more detail there.
  • Remap the pause button to something easily reachable (Q on a typical WASD set-up is ideal). You can only get a close look at enemy stats while paused, and having to reach across your keyboard while fighting a boss is annoying and awkward.
  • Play through the tutorial mission.
  • Mess around with the difficulties a bit, find somewhere that's challenging, but not frustrating.
  • There are only two ways to heal: Killing enemies, or going back to town.
  • Don't be afraid of dying, you don't lose anything not immediately replaceable.
  • Learn to loot efficiently. When you find a building, or a dungeon, your goal is not to empty every room, but to search for any stashes, empty them, and then move on. Otherwise, you're just going to end up burning out without much to show for it.
  • On that note, make good use of your maps, especially the one in the bottom right. If you mouseover a room, it will give you details about what to expect there. You can see up to two rooms deep from where you are, so you'll never have to enter a dead-end room to see if it goes anywhere.
  • Destroyed rooms are always empty, and can be safely ignored, or hidden in without worry.
  • Crafted spells are almost always better than found ones, even before adding gems.
  • Everything you need aside from spells can be bought from the floating crystals in town. It's expensive, but it gives you an out if the RNG just won't give you enough of something you need (Wind Shelters and Buoys are the usual culprits.)
  • Always plant the Wind Shelter on the windy side of the threshold. You'll want the extra square of reach, and the mission is always windy, anyways.
  • You have ten upgrade points to distribute between Health, Mana, and Attack, and you can buy the crystals for them in town for dirt cheap. Play around with the set-up that works best for you. Though, as a rule of thumb, mana capacity is the least important of the three. Whether you want more health or more attack power comes down to personal preference.
  • A good mouse set-up is your main attack spell on left-click, wooden platforms on right-click, and an attack spell of a different element on middle-click, preferably one that can destroy background objects. Keep a few utility spells and items on the hotbar that you can fire off with the number keys, when you need them.
  • Keep at least 500 wooden platforms on you at all times. They're dirt-cheap to buy, can be found everywhere, and running out in the middle of a cave dive is almost certainly a death sentence.
  • If you die somewhere you expect to be again (like the Overlord's tower), kill the ghost first. They have a way of piling up.
  • Nothing you can do can ever render the game unwinnable.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 23, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gmq posted:

Any tips for Radiata Stories? The wiki only tells me to recruit either humans or non-humans. :v:

It doesn't really matter as long as you try and recruit as many people as possible while playing. Near the end you have to choose sides but the game is fairly balanced for the most part. The fairy ending is widely considered the best ending but it's worth keeping a save before you're asked the deciding question and the endgame content is only about 5 hours long.

I highly suggest a recruitment guide because recruiting is like a Suikoden game except 10 times more obscure. Some people join based on your levels, others appear at specific times, and there are many that can be arbitrarily locked out completely. You can't get 100% on the first play so don't sweat perfection.

NPCs don't learn skills and can't change equipment so the initial loadout is important. For a good, well rounded human party you should focus on Vancoor and Oracian guild members. The Vareth guild members generally have obscure conditions but their magic is incredibly helpful.

Non-humans are the easiest to recruit after the split BUT you want to recruit them as early as possible if you'll side with them. The game doesn't balance experience so new characters will be underleveled in the endgame. Non-humans congregate together and most of their conditions seem to be "talk to them alone or at X time" but again, don't hesitate to use a guide.

Kick everything and everyone! I don't think there are negative repurcussions, you can't die in a duel, and you get items and money from objects. Sometimes it's required to recruit people. Jack Russel is the biggest douchebag in JRPGs and it's fun reading people's reactions.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 23, 2012

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

al-azad posted:

It doesn't really matter as long as you try and recruit as many people as possible while playing. Near the end you have to choose sides but the game is fairly balanced for the most part. The fairy ending is widely considered the best ending but it's worth keeping a save before you're asked the deciding question and the endgame content is only about 5 hours long.

I highly suggest a recruitment guide because recruiting is like a Suikoden game except 10 times more obscure. Some people join based on your levels, others appear at specific times, and there are many that can be arbitrarily locked out completely. You can't get 100% on the first play so don't sweat perfection.

NPCs don't learn skills and can't change equipment so the initial loadout is important. For a good, well rounded human party you should focus on Vancoor and Oracian guild members. The Vareth guild members generally have obscure conditions but their magic is incredibly helpful.

Non-humans are the easiest to recruit after the split BUT you want to recruit them as early as possible if you'll side with them. The game doesn't balance experience so new characters will be underleveled in the endgame. Non-humans congregate together and most of their conditions seem to be "talk to them alone or at X time" but again, don't hesitate to use a guide.

Kick everything and everyone! I don't think there are negative repurcussions, you can't die in a duel, and you get items and money from objects. Sometimes it's required to recruit people. Jack Russel is the biggest douchebag in JRPGs and it's fun reading people's reactions.

I will (sort of) second using a guide. Recruiting people is a lot of fun, but some are difficult to figure out. I recommend looking for a guide that lists missable characters, and going from there. You'll almost certainly need a guide for some characters, but figuring it out is a great deal of fun. (For me, at least)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theshim posted:

Whatever playing style you choose (melee, guns, or magic), it's helpful to specialize in magic, just because it's the only thing that can reliably do damage quickly to groups of enemies. Lightning is an especially useful spell, because it stuns enemies as well as does damage.

If you use guns, note that when you use the over-the-shoulder aim, it causes a lot of aggravating slow-motion camera effects where it will zoom in unimpressively on the enemy being shot while enemies continue to attack you in slow motion from off-camera...my advice is to not use that aim view, because that effect is so annoying and there's no way to turn it off (that i've found).

When buying property, houses are more profitable than shops

...that's all i can think of really apart from the thing that the other guy mentioned about that obnoxious out-of-the-blue time jump into the endgame (which is a very important tip, so I quietly repeated it anyway)...you can't really die in the game, so nothing you do is too dangerous, just do what you want and have fun really.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Off the top of my head, the biggest difference is that skill checks work differently: instead of your skill level translating into a percentage chance for success, you have to beat a skill threshold in order to succeed. Also, a lot of other skills have checks, and it's not all Speech all the time (though, to be honest, Speech, Barter, and Science are still by far the most common checks).

Repair works differently, as well; you no longer need 100 Repair to repair something to perfect condition, so it's no longer a race to the maximum.

Armor uses Damage Threshold (which subtracts points of damage off the top) now instead of Damage Resistance (which reduced all damage by a percentage). This makes Deathclaws even deadlier than before, if you can believe it. I recommend using AP ammo on them, preferably from an extreme distance. There's no Dart Gun equivalent to neuter them anymore, either.

And finally: Don't Bother With Hardcore Mode.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Anything in particular for Age of Empires: Online? I've played 2 and 3, so I was going through the tutorial just to familiarize myself with how Online handles things, but I feel like I'm just missing something with the game. I have to buy Skirmish mode? There are only 4 civs? How do I use stuff in my inventory? If I know what I'm doing, is there any reason not to just, say, buy the Persia civ and jump right in?

E: I don't need any core gameplay tips, I know how to play AoE, it's everything connected it that's confusing me.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 23, 2012

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Civ 5 - I played the tutorials but the game still feels really confusing to me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

What's the good word on Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga? Picked this up on Steam, and it seems pretty neato from the hour or so I've played so far.

Mindread everyone, especially those with high XP costs. Many of them will cause sidequests or items to spawn, or else give you stat and skill boosts. Either way, you'll make up the XP debt no problem in the long run.

On that note, keep an eye out for keys or hidden chests, or people's secret stashes. Many of them need you to mindread someone first to find them, but there's still a lot simply hidden in odd areas or behind other items.

In the first region, don't go inside the buildings at the Mine, or to the second region, until you're done with the Dragon Temple and related areas. The stuff there is considerably higher level and will smoke you. Do complete every sidequest before going into the Temple, though.

In the second region, there are hard to spot transculent spheres in the air. These will instantly kill you if you spend more than a couple seconds in them while in dragon form. To actually get started on exploring the region, you'll need to take a teleporter from one of several dotted along the cliffs, which will lead you inside one of the spheres and up into the base set against the cliff wall. Once that's done, pretty much the entire region unlocks for you to explore at your leisure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

Mindread everyone, especially those with high XP costs. Many of them will cause sidequests or items to spawn, or else give you stat and skill boosts. Either way, you'll make up the XP debt no problem in the long run.

Repeating this because it's important. Mindread everyone as soon and as often as possible. Don't worry about the XP debt, and don't bother putting points into mindreading (all that does is reduce the debt you incur, which is already meaningless - yes, even the ridiculously high costs in the expansion).

Also, the Flying Fortresses are optional. There's some nice gear in them and I think you have to complete at least one, but they can get kind of tedious and it's not mandatory to clear them all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DannyTanner posted:

Civ 5 - I played the tutorials but the game still feels really confusing to me.

There's a thread for the game where you can ask in-depth questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have entirely too much time on my hands today, so here's some tips for Age of Wonders. I've only played the campaign but I imagine a lot of this should apply to multiplayer aswell.

• A growing army consumes gold which requires expansion, which requires an even larger army, etc. Turtling is slow death at least until the very late game when you can get by with heroes and a couple stacks of high level units.

• If you need to free up resources, send troops on suicide missions instead of disbanding them. Disbanded units like to wander around "freeing" your towns and gold mines. They will occasionally attack you at the worst possible moment.

• You can use some units' abilities out of combat, by double clicking on their portrait. Clerics in particular can heal other units in the same stack.

• Cheap spells are the best spells. Always get at least one Orb of Air and Orb of Life. This gives you access to Chain Lightning, one of the best offensive spells in the game (damages 4 units with a chance to stun for 1 round) and Summon Eagle, a very fast flying summon that can explore, loot one hex towns and can defeat one or even two level 1 units in a pinch.

• Conserve movement as much as possible. When attacking with a stack of units, select the one with the most remaining movement by left clicking, and then right-clicking under it's portrait. When it attacks an adjacent army, the rest of your army will be pulled into the battle without wasting any remaining movement points.

• Regarding hero creation, it's best to focus on pure combat or spellcasting. With spellcasting, prioritize researching global (purple) spells until you get Town Portal. A hero with Spellcasting 4 or better can cast Portal every turn, effectively defending all of your cities simultaneously. Combat heroes benefit from round attack, first strike and wall climbing. Any remaining XP points are best used on increasing their stats and speed. Every hero should have some form of long range attack as well.

• You can draw a town's defenders into the open by attacking an enemy stack that is outside, but adjacent to the town. If it is a four hex town with only one stack of defenders, appriach them from the diagonally opposite side and you will fight each other inside the city walls!

• Don't be afraid to loot or even raze towns if you already have a decent income. Keep the initiative, and keep your armies fighting instead of waiting around.

• High level summoning spells are a waste of mana. For the price of one summoned dragon you can permanently haste three flying units as a deep strike force that covers twice the territory, or you can buff an entire army in preparation for a battle.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 23, 2012