Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Did Game of Thrones with my 5 person group last night.

I was Stark and planned on turtling a bit before moving out in force (after securing the nearby barrels) and slaughtering my way to 7 castles. Hoped Lannister and Greyjoy would fight, and Tyrell and Baratheon would bother each other over the South enough to stalemate.

I grabbed the Eyrie early, and seemed okay. However, Greyjoy and Lannister non-aggression-pacted, and I neglected to muster any ships in the Bay of Ice.

What happened? Team Greyjoy snuck a small force in to take Winterfell, and I was shut down piecemeal. How appropriate.

I don't really like the game that much. It's a very thinky strategy game, but for the life of me I can't think up a smart way to logically progress toward a goal. The events seem too random to really make any moves with confidence. Like bidding on influence tracks, where it's incredibly easy to bankrupt yourself to get awesome positions only to see ANOTHER game of thrones westeros card next turn, or some other reason to bid.

I really want to like it, but I'm just not seeing a great game in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Countblanc posted:

Was anyone going to make a GenCon 2012 thread? I was going to but then I realized I've only been once and don't really know poo poo about it other than that it has a lot of really bad fighting game players and a showroom you shouldn't shop in until sunday.

That's why I didn't make one but if someone did I would post in it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

werdnam posted:

I've played it, too, and my experience was not quite as positive. I had an okay start, but by turn 5 I and my neighbor got hit hard by one other player. Consequently, our economy went into the pits and we spent the next four turns putzing around while three other players just took off. The end left the winner with 40+ points, two other players with 30+ points, and the bottom three in the teens. It seemed like an interesting game, but that particular session was not very fun at all for me.

Yep that sounds like my friend's experience from yesterday's game. Another dude just completely steamrolled over him after he'd managed to take center around turn six or so. I had a blast because I was able to play my own game in my corner at my own terms, but if you can't do that you probably won't have a good time.

Tekopo posted:

Ended up teaching Dungeon Petz to three newbies this weekend, with one of them having wanted to play the game for months and months.

I'm glad to hear you like it so much, as Dungeon Petz is one of the favourite games around here. It's always hilarious how things can totally snowball from "everything's fine at my petting zoo" to "I now run the world's largest pet cemetery" in a single turn.

One of the best things ever was a friend of mine buying a pet during a late turn, then taking his sweet while with the needs assignment. When it was time to reveal, he just started cracking up and told everyone that despite all he'd tried, he had managed to kill a pet within minutes of getting it in.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

NGDBSS posted:

They were probably just hoping for some fireworks. When (if nowadays) I play that with my usual group, if someone has the capability of playing Ancient Artifact everyone (except potentially the poor sod on Mecatol) will enthusiastically vote for it. Either everyone gets free techs or you have hilarious explosions. Win-win if you ask me.

Oh, I know. I try to do it as well if I draw the card, or that action card that lets you choose a political card. It just really annoyed me that he threw it down on a critical turn and managed to convince my left neighbour to vote against his best interests, giving the game away to yet another player.

Now don't get me wrong, I still had fun, but it stings to lose an 8-hour game to accidental king-making :(

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
It was a Dungeon Petz kind of weekend here in the goon thread, I guess. I introduced it to my kids (they loved Mage Knight) and my gf and they loved it.

Very thematic and fun. Like most of Vlaada's games (especially MK) the mechanics were so front-loaded it was hard to get momentum built learning the rules, but once we got over that hump, it went really well.

I'm sure we missed a few little details in the rules, but from the reactions around the table, it will definitely get a lot more play so we can sharpen out rules in the next game. Great purchase. (the kids are 9 and 12. The 9 year old proclaimed it was his favorite game of all time!)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't know why, but some people seem to struggle with the fact that you draw the colours but the needs are what you actually play. Last time I tried to focus heavily on how fulfilling needs and how pets work, and I still had questions like 'But how do I know what the pet needs?' half-way through the game. Everyone seems to understand how the game works by the end, though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Len posted:

That's why I didn't make one but if someone did I would post in it.

I have never been and I would make one just so people can talk. Most people know what the deal is. I'll make if it hasn't been made by the time I get home in a few hours. Keep it in Traditional Games or open to General since there are cool things for everybody?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

So, after my basement flooded this summer and a bunch of old, crappy games I never played got destroyed (that's why they were in the basement), I'm getting a decent insurance settlement, including $400 to replace the games.

What should I get? :D

I'm thinking:

Dungeon Petz
7 Wonders
Agricola
Steam

I don't even know what else is on my to-buy list at the moment. Maybe something lighter that my wife would be more into, but that I'm not going to find boring? (I know she'll like 7 Wonders, but I don't know what else to get...)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

xopods posted:

I don't even know what else is on my to-buy list at the moment. Maybe something lighter that my wife would be more into, but that I'm not going to find boring? (I know she'll like 7 Wonders, but I don't know what else to get...)

You should probably tell us what kind of games you actually do like. I can blindly suggest Arkham Horror, Android and Twilight Imperium, but that may not actually help you if you hate large, complex games.

That being said, while 7 Wonders is light, it is a lovely 2 player game. Unfortunately, I can't really think of good light 2 player games, but other light games that are playable are Carcassonne and Tsuro. I hate it, but other people like Ticket to Ride, so there you go.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Has anyone here played the Star Trek Deckbuilding Game? I'd like another opinion on it since my first play of it was less than stellar.

My take: No deckbuilding game should take 2.5 hours to finish. The winner went from no points to winning in the last part of the game. The explore deck is too random to build any deck strategy out of. And it seemed really difficult to buy cards out of the center due to their high prices.

Now it was our first play with 5 players, so I will forgive a little extra time but the game just seemed to drag.

Edit:

Also, for the person asking about Gencon, while I'm no Gencon expert, I can certainly answer some basic questions.

jadarx fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 23, 2012

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

We also played a couple of rounds of Small World. You all know what Small World is, you all know it's a good game. Can't wait for Realms now that Small World is making its way onto my table all the time again.

I was thinking of picking this up, are any of the expansions worth getting?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

taser rates posted:

The three mini-expansions that add powers/races (Cursed, Dames, and Be Not Afraid) are worth it if you like it. No reason to pick it up now unless you know you already like the game. If you do pick them up, though, get Be Not Afraid first since it comes with a tray that fits all the other expansions. I like the Underground powers/races, too, although a lot of them are just remixes of the original Small World ones. Elves, for example, become the power Immortal, Dragon Masters become an item that everyone can get, etc. I think the balance/interestingness works out better, but I don't have any math to back me up on that.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

nimby posted:

Then the guy to my right plays Ancient Artefact, and everyone spends every trade good they can to have more votes than me.

I'm not sure I understand this part. There should only be one racial or a couple action cards that allow these shenanigans. Was there a law that allowed TG to be spent as votes?

Aside from that, while that law is unintentionally hilarious, it does suck to be hammered with it.

If you play with a totally random setup, you'll often have one or more homeworlds adjacent to Mecatol. That law tends to get shot down way more often in games like that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

taser rates posted:

I think Underground's water spaces for a more interesting board, as well. I am not enough of a game-ologist to know whether they cause balance issues.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: 2012 GENCON DISCUSSION THREAD :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497460

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

You should probably tell us what kind of games you actually do like. I can blindly suggest Arkham Horror, Android and Twilight Imperium, but that may not actually help you if you hate large, complex games.

Sorry, I've been around here enough I assumed the regs would know my tastes and that anyone else could guess based on the games I listed.

Anyway, no. Keep anything Fantasy Flight/Avalon Hill/Gamers Workshop/etc. way the hell away from me. I'd rather go to the dentist. :) But thank you for trying.

Oh, but I'll add Wars of the Roses to the list. That's about as far as I want to go towards the complicated/thematic/direct player interaction end of the spectrum. Played that once at a Stack Academy convention and it was awesome, because simultaneous action selection is my favorite thing ever.

Maybe Ninjato too, that was pretty sweet, and I know my wife will play it because she was with me when I got to try it.

Though I've only played each of those once, so if someone can advise me on their lasting power, that'd be good.

quote:

That being said, while 7 Wonders is light, it is a lovely 2 player game. Unfortunately, I can't really think of good light 2 player games, but other light games that are playable are Carcassonne and Tsuro. I hate it, but other people like Ticket to Ride, so there you go.

I'm not actually looking for two-player games. Basically all my wife ever wants to play when it's the two of us is Dominion or my own game Insidious Sevens, and I'm okay with that. It's just annoying when my friends and I want to play Dungeon Lords or Urban Spawl and she neither wants to play those, nor wants to be left out, so we end up playing Tikal or Thurn & Taxis or whatever, which, while fun, start making me feel like I'm playing on autopilot after a while.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

xopods posted:

I'm not actually looking for two-player games. Basically all my wife ever wants to play when it's the two of us is Dominion or my own game Insidious Sevens, and I'm okay with that. It's just annoying when my friends and I want to play Dungeon Lords or Urban Spawl and she neither wants to play those, nor wants to be left out, so we end up playing Tikal or Thurn & Taxis or whatever, which, while fun, start making me feel like I'm playing on autopilot after a while.

I think that autopilot-y feeling is pretty indicative of "light" games in general, but you might have some success in games that aren't exactly rules extensive, but the social interaction aspects make up for the lack of deep rules. The poster child for this type of game would probably be The Resistance (you will need at least a group of five), but you may also want to look into Dixit or maybe even Small World and Galaxy Trucker. I like 7 Wonders, but it is also a game that you can get burnt out on really quickly if you play it too often. Once a week is probably a good pace, and variety is the spice of life etc.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

GrandpaPants posted:

I think that autopilot-y feeling is pretty indicative of "light" games in general, but you might have some success in games that aren't exactly rules extensive, but the social interaction aspects make up for the lack of deep rules. The poster child for this type of game would probably be The Resistance (you will need at least a group of five), but you may also want to look into Dixit or maybe even Small World and Galaxy Trucker. I like 7 Wonders, but it is also a game that you can get burnt out on really quickly if you play it too often. Once a week is probably a good pace, and variety is the spice of life etc.

I'd say The Resistance really needs at least seven to work. It becomes so much more fun when you have more people.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

homullus posted:

I think Underground's water spaces for a more interesting board, as well. I am not enough of a game-ologist to know whether they cause balance issues.

If you don't want to pick up Small World:Underworld (And i honestly say don't pick it up since the three race/power expansions do not go along with it very well at all), then get Realms since it adds the water mechanic from SW:U into the base SW while adding in modules and missions and a create-your-own mentality, and the boards get pretty interesting.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

My wife's a terrible liar and hates Werewolf/Mafia, so I don't think she'd be keen on the Resistance.

I myself am not very fond of Small World.

Dixit's cool, I might think about that. It's also unlike anything else in my collection.

I do like Vlaada, so I might eventually get Galaxy Trucker, but I'll see if I can get her turned on to Dungeon Petz first, and from there transition to Dungeon Lords.

I think my wife mostly just doesn't like having to think several moves in advance while planning for multiple contingencies, because it makes her feel all AP-ish. She'd rather either play something where she can decide on a strategy early on and just keep rolling with that, or where the decision-making is broken into bite-sized chunks that can sort of be handled one at a time (even if she'd be more likely to win if she did think a bit ahead).

So she likes Dominion, because she feels like she can make each purchase decision in a vacuum (even though this is why she loses), etc. Whereas the time I convinced her and some friends to play Dominant Species with me, I thought it was going to end in divorce.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

xopods posted:

So she likes Dominion, because she feels like she can make each purchase decision in a vacuum (even though this is why she loses), etc. Whereas the time I convinced her and some friends to play Dominant Species with me, I thought it was going to end in divorce.

Although I hate the game, Race for the Galaxy does "I can work in a vacuum (and still lose)" pretty well. God is that a dull game, though. Edit: I would read the rules, download Keldon's AI, and try it out there first. The iconography is loving hell on new players.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pander posted:

I was Stark and planned on turtling a bit before moving out in force (after securing the nearby barrels) and slaughtering my way to 7 castles. Hoped Lannister and Greyjoy would fight, and Tyrell and Baratheon would bother each other over the South enough to stalemate.

I grabbed the Eyrie early, and seemed okay. However, Greyjoy and Lannister non-aggression-pacted, and I neglected to muster any ships in the Bay of Ice.

What happened? Team Greyjoy snuck a small force in to take Winterfell, and I was shut down piecemeal. How appropriate.

I don't really like the game that much. It's a very thinky strategy game, but for the life of me I can't think up a smart way to logically progress toward a goal. The events seem too random to really make any moves with confidence. Like bidding on influence tracks, where it's incredibly easy to bankrupt yourself to get awesome positions only to see ANOTHER game of thrones westeros card next turn, or some other reason to bid.

I also played Game of Thrones with a group of 5 this weekend. The way our game unfolded was completely different. Lannister and Greyjoy pretty much decimated one another into irrelevancy while ignoring the Starks who consolidated power in the North. I was Tyrell and I allied with Baratheon in agreement to split the south while we both moved upward.

What ended up happening is that Lannisters and Greyjoy were pretty much non-entities to win towards the end of the game, only existing to act as spoiler. Tyrell/Baratheon/Stark were all in contention up until the 9/10th turn with Baratheon finally winning because Stark spread themselves too thin.

It was hard for me to develop a strategy with the way that the cards unfolded. From rounds 1-6, we only mustered once. There was very little fighting so being the lead on the Fiefdom track was ultimately worthless, same with the Iron Throne. The total randomness of the cards makes it seem like each game session would unfold differently. I think all of us (being our first time playing) were scared of losing armies, so we essentially holed up until the second half of the game.

I would say for now that I liked it. I'd have to give it more play sessions to see if that holds up. I wish there were more events on the cards.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Although I hate the game, Race for the Galaxy does "I can work in a vacuum (and still lose)" pretty well. God is that a dull game, though. Edit: I would read the rules, download Keldon's AI, and try it out there first. The iconography is loving hell on new players.

Yeah, I've played it once and hate it too. Full agreement with you there.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Nitis posted:

I'm not sure I understand this part. There should only be one racial or a couple action cards that allow these shenanigans. Was there a law that allowed TG to be spent as votes?

:gonk:

We've been playing it wrong for years. How do I explain this to my friends? We've always played it thinking that trade goods can always be exchanged for influence, even in voting. Oh god this changes everything. I thought we finally got the rules down ~8 games ago and made nearly no mistakes!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

nimby posted:

We've been playing it wrong for years. How do I explain this to my friends? We've always played it thinking that trade goods can always be exchanged for influence, even in voting. Oh god this changes everything. I thought we finally got the rules down ~8 games ago and made nearly no mistakes!

Wait, this is wrong? We've been playing it like you have. What'd I miss?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Agronox posted:

Wait, this is wrong? We've been playing it like you have. What'd I miss?

Nitis' comment made me check the rulebook, page 23 on voting:

Trade Good counters cannot be used to gain additional votes.

I feel bad for all the times we got someone screwed over by dumping trade goods on a crucial vote :(

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

nimby posted:

I feel bad for all the times we got someone screwed over by dumping trade goods on a crucial vote :(

Don't feel bad. Everyone was playing by the same rules so its not like you changed them to screw someone over. In fact you guys may find that you like to play by your rules and house rule it anyways.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

nimby posted:

Playing that way makes the already broken Emirates of Hacan even more broken in 4 and 8 player games. (drat strong in other player counts, too)

I completely sympathize, though. I have probably 30+ games under my belt, mostly 6 - 8 player, and I still find odd tidbits in the rules that I could have sworn I knew which has cost me games.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm itching for a Magic the Gatheringish two-player card game without the collectible part. Besides Summoner Wars, what options do I have? If I do buy the Summoner Wars Master Set, what other decks/factions would you guys recommend buying if I want to get something extra?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm itching for a Magic the Gatheringish two-player card game without the collectible part. Besides Summoner Wars, what options do I have? If I do buy the Summoner Wars Master Set, what other decks/factions would you guys recommend buying if I want to get something extra?

I don't really get the connection between Summoner Wars and MTG aside from both being card games, but all the factions have their own playstyle, so they are all pretty much worth getting. I personally like the Jungle Elves, myself. If you like them more, there is also the reinforcement packs for added variety!

I haven't read the rules or anything and I have no idea how well it plays/is balanced, but you may want to keep an eye on Mage Wars. Seems like some weird fusion of non-collectible MTG and Summoner Wars style arena combat.

You may also want to look into the upcoming Android: Netrunner.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pretty much every Fantasy Flight deck game. Game of Thrones, Warhammer Invasion, LotR (which is co-op), and the upcoming Netrunner.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I'm itching for a Magic the Gatheringish two-player card game without the collectible part.
LCG is the word you're looking for.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So is anyone else playing Dungeon Command? I went to a demo and had enough fun that I bought both starters. 6 plays in, it's still really fun. I was skeptical of having no dice, but attacking works pretty much like Summoner Wars except you don't roll 1's and 2's. There are lots of interrupts and ways to get cover, along with enough varied terrain that it feels pretty tactical so far. A DnD friend bought a set just for the minis, so now I have extra cards and map pieces to play with. I'm going to try customizing the orders and creature pool.
The one guy I played so far that didn't have fun played the drow and just bum rushed my copper dragon with his frail little elves and got mad when they did nothing except get eaten. I think he missed the point about low hp dudes who need to be sneaky and combo their attacks for good effect. So far it feels like a cross between Heroscape and Summoner Wars to me.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been on a bit of a kaiju kick lately. I thought about buying Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars, but I've heard really bad things. I heard there exists a better kaiju game out there, but no matter how much I scour Google or Board Game Geek I can't find any other information. Anyone know?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

I've been on a bit of a kaiju kick lately. I thought about buying Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars, but I've heard really bad things. I heard there exists a better kaiju game out there, but no matter how much I scour Google or Board Game Geek I can't find any other information. Anyone know?

I think what you're thinking of is King of Tokyo. Never played it, but heard good things. Possibly also Monsterpocalypse, but I don't know if they are still selling that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

nimby posted:

Nitis' comment made me check the rulebook, page 23 on voting:

Trade Good counters cannot be used to gain additional votes.

God dammit, I got hosed in a game yesterday because someone did this. I was Naalu, and already had Cybernetics, and the law Fighter Tax came up on round two :suicide:

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Pander posted:

There are so few cards it is pretty easy to card count them until every Winter is Coming. This is not different from any other game with cards ever.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think what you're thinking of is King of Tokyo. Never played it, but heard good things. Possibly also Monsterpocalypse, but I don't know if they are still selling that.
It was Monsterpocalypse, but I like my games to come in a single box, so King of Tokyo actually looks more interesting to me, even though its gameplay looks more random too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Acinonyx posted:

So is anyone else playing Dungeon Command? I went to a demo and had enough fun that I bought both starters. 6 plays in, it's still really fun. I was skeptical of having no dice, but attacking works pretty much like Summoner Wars except you don't roll 1's and 2's. There are lots of interrupts and ways to get cover, along with enough varied terrain that it feels pretty tactical so far. A DnD friend bought a set just for the minis, so now I have extra cards and map pieces to play with. I'm going to try customizing the orders and creature pool.
The one guy I played so far that didn't have fun played the drow and just bum rushed my copper dragon with his frail little elves and got mad when they did nothing except get eaten. I think he missed the point about low hp dudes who need to be sneaky and combo their attacks for good effect. So far it feels like a cross between Heroscape and Summoner Wars to me.

I have a friend who will buy the game just for the miniatures so I'm going to order a copy for myself once the first three groups are out and then hand it off to him if it sucks. I really love these type of games and it seems like this one is going to work much better than some of the other games in the genre that have convoluted rules for lines of sight and interruption which usually steer me away from them.

(and yes I have Earth: Reborn and it's good)

War of Honor - The legend of the five rings stand alone multiplayer box.
The upcoming Netrunner remake as previously mentioned.
Building yourself a M:TG cube. The Space:The Convergence stuff is still out there, I can send you a link if you like the look of it and can print it yourself or locally.

I can't really recommend any of the LCGs from Fantasy Flight, for a variety of reasons but mostly balance.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CloseFriend posted:

Super Giant Monster Showdown is probably the most thematic Kaiju game in existence. Whether you'll like it or not depends entirely on how wooly you like your games.

• Locked thread