Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So there is a legion raid camp thing. I killed them.

Whenever I wait a couple of days and fast travel back, there is a non hostile legion guy there. If I wait a moment, he wanders over to the fire and ties himself up.

I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smol posted:

Why survival?

Raise survival to 100. Get Cass. Drink whiskey 24/7 and enjoy your permanent +6 DT, +3 STR and +3 CHA. :clint:

Is there a way to get this to work with the Rad Child perk?

Like, if I get my survival to 100 and THEN use the various Wasteland Survival Guides, will the -1 (or more) penalty to Endurance I get from being irradiated not show up in my skillset?

It sucks that you don't get the +3 bonus until 100 exactly, since when you're playing a high survival build you're very likely to do things that mess with your endurance (get irradiated for massive regen, take an H20 Penalty, etc.)

HiroChicken
Jun 3, 2007

Eevee of Tomorrow

homeless poster posted:

EDIT: Come to think of it, how feasible is it to play a courier that absolutely refuses to kill other humans? I'm not just talking plot humans, I mean any humans at all (including raiders/junkies/who ever). Would you just have to run like crazy from hostile human NPCs until you made it back to a town with armed guards? Would intentionally leading these other humans into a situation where you know they're going to be shot on sight invalidate the challenge?

I'm actually almost done with a pacifist run! Skilled and Good-Natured and I tagged Lockpick, Stealth, and Speech. I also focused on Barter, Stealth, and Science and most other non-combat skills. I carry a golf club, binoculars, and a camera.

Spots to avoid are the road south of Primm (raiders at the police station, Nipton Road Pitstop (more raiders), and the road west of Nipton (even MORE raiders). After that, you don't have to many things in the way of the road.

Easy ways of experience are hacking, lockpicking, and various speech successes. Stock up on Stealth Boys and use them for any quests that have a lot of hostiles in your way (Repconn, Helios One, Black Mountain).

My pacifist run lead to me leveling up at one point for taking a photo of Dinky and another time just for replacing Rex's brain. I'm level 25 now, and haven't killed anyone. Just have to finish up with making Vault 19 Powder Gangers join to Khans, get the Khans on my side, and then get the BoS on my side as well.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 5, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Angry Boat posted:

get .44 magnum handloads without GRA

You don't need GRA to get .44 handloaded, you just need the handloaded perk. Which you should always get anyways if your using guns.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Desperate Character posted:

So whats the best manner to go through all DLC? Do you really need to be at the suggested level or can you just breeze through them with high enough stats? I'm playing a unarmed/speech/bartering character.

Angry Boat posted:

I don't know about the minimum, but scaling on the upper end can get pretty ridiculous, turning enemies into bullet sponges.

Unarmed and melee weapons become godly powerful at higher levels. Each time I've taken a gun carrying character into Old World Blues they've come out as a hand to hand character at the end of it.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Angry Boat posted:

I don't know about the minimum, but scaling on the upper end can get pretty ridiculous, turning enemies into bullet sponges.

This happened to me the first time I played through all the DLC. I was playing on the PS3 as they were coming out, so my character was already pushing the level cap. The combat in OWB in particular was fairly tedious due to bullet sponginess, if I remember right.

I've just started up a new game after buying the Ultimate Edition on Steam, so I'd also love some advice on when to go ahead on the DLC.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Angry Boat posted:

Survival is needed to teach Jack how to make hydra, get .44 magnum handloads without GRA, and makes food more useful. But my first character didn't have anything to do with survival and did pretty well.

e: in addition to genuinely useful things, it also adds a lot of oddball recipes. Wasteland Tequila is useful with Cass, and who wouldn't make homebrewed Sunset Sarsparilla?

Everybody always forgets that you can use Survival to make poisons. :2bong:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
RE: pacifist run - If you're not above using mods, in the armory there's a crossbow that has extensive scripting for different kind of bolts and also contains the FO3 dartgun. It also includes tranquilizer bolts that knock enemies out and lets you loot them. They work with a slight delay and dont work on everything/everybody so it's not easy mode by any means. There are also similar bolts/darts that frenzy people for a bit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Desperate Character posted:

So whats the best manner to go through all DLC? Do you really need to be at the suggested level or can you just breeze through them with high enough stats? I'm playing a unarmed/speech/bartering character.

Do Lonesome Road last and invest some points in energy weapons before OWB (seriously, I blew through most everyone when I got that audio blaster gun).

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
Contreras's final task is a bugged out pile of garbage. You are given dialogue options containing information you haven't received yet, and then are given dialogue options that don't even correspond to the actions you took. "I convinced that Ranger to work with you." What? What ranger? You mean that guy in the pawns shop who's head I blew off? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT GAME!

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Every time I have come into this thread, there's a lot of DLC talk. I started my 4th playthrough of the game when the Ultimate Edition came out, got well into it, and then completely stalled once I started playing OWB. I ended up getting rid of my Ultimate Edition and going back to the normal copy. I don't know what it is, I had the same feeling with FO3 as well, but there's something about DLC in general that turns me off.

I'm not trying to say the DLC is equivalent to FO3's or anything like that, I'm not nuts. I think it's just the idea of being taken into this unnatural, closed off environment does something to me and I feel trapped and like I'm not getting the 'real' experience. I sort of feel bad about this and I'm carrying on my 4th playthrough now, and then I wonder if for my 5th I should get the Ultimate edition again. Maybe there's something wrong with me...

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think in terms of New Vegas, one difficulty I have with the DLC is that they really are quite different in tone when compared to the main game. Or I should say, the three Avellone-led DLCs are very different in tone and feel. I enjoy them a lot on their own but it's a pretty big leap for me to sorta think of the Mojave Courier and the DLC Courier as one and the same. I think Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road are the Fallout equivalent of very "high magic" settings, with pretty crazy concepts.

New Vegas and Honest Hearts feel a lot more... down to earth in a way I suppose.

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
You don't have to do the DLC's, but it's worth having them installed for the perks, traits, and items they add.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thompsons posted:

The Underground Hideout mod's shelf stocking feature is so pointless and yet so right

Oh God why did you make me aware of this? Why? :gonk:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's just silly how much better this game is than Fallout 3. Yet Fallout 3 got more critical attention. Why does Bethesda get so much bullshit credit they don't deserve from games "journalists" when they still haven't topped a game they made in 1996 and (in my opinion) really haven't made a good game since 2002? Did they make a deal with a man at the crossroads? It's absurd how much everyone loves them.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

It's just silly how much better this game is than Fallout 3. Yet Fallout 3 got more critical attention. Why does Bethesda get so much bullshit credit they don't deserve from games "journalists" when they still haven't topped a game they made in 1996 and (in my opinion) really haven't made a good game since 2002? Did they make a deal with a man at the crossroads? It's absurd how much everyone loves them.

I like pretty much all of bethesda's games...

I don't know why people can't just think new vegas is better than 3 without being angry about it. I mean, it is better but come on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't know why people can't just think new vegas is better than 3 without being angry about it. I mean, it is better but come on.

Probably because it shows just how broken gaming "journalism" actually is, and people tend to get upset when they're lied to or misled.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I love bethesda and their games but I fully acknowledge how terrible gaming journalism is. The mass effect 3 controversy sealed it for me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kharmakazy posted:

Because, in this case, it meant Obsidian didn't get paid a bonus and therefore, don't get to make as many games.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Because, in this case, it meant Obsidian didn't get paid a bonus and therefore, don't get to make as many games.

While I agree that was lovely, and bethesda probably paid to have the score lowered, I still don't think that makes bethesda's games bad. Also, I think it's a terrible idea to enter a contract where your bonus is attached to arbitrary scores that can likely be purchased with merch.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Thompsons posted:

The Underground Hideout mod's shelf stocking feature is so pointless and yet so right

VVV I'm just disappointed that there's support for Lonesome Road weapons but no shelf space for rockets. I wanna see a bunch of those little rocket canisters stacked up.

Not really the thread for it, but my Underground Hideout causes CTDs before the menu's even loaded. Are you supposed to use all the mod files, or just the latest dlc's one?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

keithy george posted:

Every time I have come into this thread, there's a lot of DLC talk. I started my 4th playthrough of the game when the Ultimate Edition came out, got well into it, and then completely stalled once I started playing OWB. I ended up getting rid of my Ultimate Edition and going back to the normal copy. I don't know what it is, I had the same feeling with FO3 as well, but there's something about DLC in general that turns me off.

I'm not trying to say the DLC is equivalent to FO3's or anything like that, I'm not nuts. I think it's just the idea of being taken into this unnatural, closed off environment does something to me and I feel trapped and like I'm not getting the 'real' experience. I sort of feel bad about this and I'm carrying on my 4th playthrough now, and then I wonder if for my 5th I should get the Ultimate edition again. Maybe there's something wrong with me...

I kind of know how you feel. When I played Fallout 3 or New Vegas I found it difficult to get back in the groove of the more grounded everyday wasteland events after returning from the DLC.
It was hard to really care about someones missing hat or paying a 50 cap debt when I`m loaded with unique perks and covered in kooky gear from the past or across the country.
You yourself advances so far in such a short time and the wasteland that you left hasn't changed at all when you return.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Ravenfood posted:

Be careful with this, a lot of people start using this as a crutch and get their poo poo pushed in in places like the Divide's Tunneler sections or all of OWB. Just because you can sneak-headshot everything now doesn't mean you always can. If you're doing guns, "And Stay Back" can be a great perk to shore up your weaknesses if open combat happens.

Loading up on pulse grenades is also an option if you like farming or immersion or whatever.

Edit: The red glare is fun too.

User fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 25, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just started a new run. Going to play legit evil for a change and took recharger rifle as my signature weapon. Hoping to upgrade to the GRA recharger eventually.

The goodsprings scene was strange to see from the other side...

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Synonymous posted:

Not really the thread for it, but my Underground Hideout causes CTDs before the menu's even loaded. Are you supposed to use all the mod files, or just the latest dlc's one?

I'm really not that knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but the way I have it set up loading in Fallout Mod Manager in the order of UHNV.esp, then UHNV-Honest Hearts, UHNV-Lonesome Road, and finally UHNV-OWB. I also forget if it requires New Vegas Script Extender or not.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 25, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know if rapid reload does anything to the recharger rifle type weapons?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kharmakazy posted:

Also, I think it's a terrible idea to enter a contract where your bonus is attached to arbitrary scores that can likely be purchased with merch.

These kinds of contracts are pretty much bog-standard as far as games development goes. I doubt Obsidian had a whole lot of bargaining power.

Kharmakazy posted:

Does anybody know if rapid reload does anything to the recharger rifle type weapons?

No reload animation so I doubt it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

These kinds of contracts are pretty much bog-standard as far as games development goes. I doubt Obsidian had a whole lot of bargaining power.

No reload animation so I doubt it.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that there was another option.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kharmakazy posted:

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that there was another option.

Hey who knows, it's no secret that the amount of game developers recieving bonuses, etc. dependant on Metacritic scores is going up. Maybe there was, I've never heard it, but I can't imagine the other other option was spectacular, either.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Managed to completely explore the map before I hit the strip, and now that I'm finally here I think I've managed to ruin my savegame. The first place I went to was Gomorrah, and I snuck around in places I shouldn't and now the Omertas go hostile whenever I leave sneak mode. I haven't kept a save where they have done so, but I know as soon as I do I'll fail a few quests and really dick myself over. Is there a console command to reset a faction's hostility? AFAIK, I haven't done any real damage as of yet, as none of them have had the chance to go hostile as I haven't left sneak mode, and I also haven't failed any quests, at the moment.

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
I got a couple of questions. First, where the hell can I load up on some Pinyon nuts? Goddamn my novac freezer is full up of brahmin steaks and cactus fruits just waiting to become desert salads, which seem to be the best food item factoring weight, healing, hunger and hydration. And surgical tubing. Is there somewhere I can get a poo poo ton of these?

And what's better (for next char): Small Frame + Adm. Skell + Toughguy or Intese Train Agi +1 + Toughguy? Considering it's the same amount of perk slots taken and losing a trait slot wouldn't matter, I'm wondering if one route leaves you with stronger limbs or not. edit: my bad, I thought small frame and Admantium Skell increased/decreased limb damage by the same amount.

Niggard of Oz fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 25, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

STiL. posted:

Managed to completely explore the map before I hit the strip, and now that I'm finally here I think I've managed to ruin my savegame. The first place I went to was Gomorrah, and I snuck around in places I shouldn't and now the Omertas go hostile whenever I leave sneak mode. I haven't kept a save where they have done so, but I know as soon as I do I'll fail a few quests and really dick myself over. Is there a console command to reset a faction's hostility? AFAIK, I haven't done any real damage as of yet, as none of them have had the chance to go hostile as I haven't left sneak mode, and I also haven't failed any quests, at the moment.

I would say summon testacles, but I don't think the omertas faction is listed with him, only the strip in general.

Edit: setally 0010C6F8 0001B2A4 0 0 Should set the Omertas to be your allies.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_console_commands#Player_Faction_and_Reputation

Also has lots of useful faction commands.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 25, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

STiL. posted:

Despite the Vegas imagery of the game, the Three Families are not as big a deal as you'd think. Hell, I've never done it but I can only imagine that House would give you a pretty big pat on the back for mass-murdering the Gomorrah, since if you accidentally help them with their schemes before House has you look into them, you can pass a speech check that convinces him to do just that. The only person who cares if you kill the Gomorrahs (and the White Glove Society, for that matter) is probably not the guy you are going to back.

And nobody seems to care if you shoot up the Tops. But still, I'm sorry Tommy Torini :(

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I grabbed this during the Steam Sale and love the poo poo out of it. Besides, Fallout 3 and Windows 7 don't get along, at least from my experience. I've been slaughtering NCR soldiers left and right with a lead pipe in Caeser's glorius name. My only gripe is that I get perks every other level now instead of each level. But other than that I'm having a blast.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

I would say summon testacles, but I don't think the omertas faction is listed with him, only the strip in general.

Edit: setally 0010C6F8 0001B2A4 0 0 Should set the Omertas to be your allies.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_console_commands#Player_Faction_and_Reputation

Also has lots of useful faction commands.

Did the trick! Thanks alot, especially since, while I did manage to successfully to get myself out of Gomorrah, once I came back in the doorman took all my guns and immediately became hostile.

edit: I did go through the link you listed, and I figured out pretty quickly which command does what. But I gotta know, where'd you find the 0010C6F8 id? I did some digging of my own and I sure as hell couldn't find it. Are you a wizard?

edit2: update!: the Omertas are back to being on good terms with me, however the Gamblers inside of Gomorrah still react as hostile. It's amusing, as the Omertas proceed to gun them down, but I'll have to be very careful as I do receive infamy when they spot me.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 25, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a mod, Perk Every Level, that does what it says. New Vegas is balanced around half a perk a level, though- a lot of perks from Fallout 3 are simply unnecessary or stupid.

Frankly, I like getting a perk every level- it makes levels feel more interesting.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a mod, Perk Every Level, that does what it says. New Vegas is balanced around half a perk a level, though- a lot of perks from Fallout 3 are simply unnecessary or stupid.

Frankly, I like getting a perk every level- it makes levels feel more interesting.
What happens when, due to skill/attribute/level lockouts you can't choose a new perk?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Synonymous posted:

What happens when, due to skill/attribute/level lockouts you can't choose a new perk?

I've never had that happen, but you click done and it goes away I'm pretty sure. I think I've done that when I COULD pick a perk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

I always use that and now increased wasteland spawns. Frankly Primm was a bit of a ghosttown without it since they patched out the enemies. With IWS it was actually a fight to get back into town again and those mines on the bridge made slightly more sense!