Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SiKboy posted:

I'm fairly critical of vince in a lot of ways, but to be fair I have to say I'd defend this one, because it gets over and can pop a live crowd really well. Plus, it is usually funny. Dont make me dig up that clip of the Osirian Portal hypnotising the CZW locker room to make them dance...

Edit: gently caress it, I love this clip:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQFkSFDpn8

For the record, I love the gimmick, I'm just explaining where it came from.

Bocc Kob posted:

I like the one story where some football player's agent or whatever was trying to cut him through line to get a Warrior autograph, so Warrior demanded the agent take off his shirt to show what he'd accomplished in life.

This doesn't even make sense.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dickeye posted:

This doesn't even make sense.

ULTIMATE. WARRIOR.

NOTHING the man does makes sense.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
YOU WANT A TATTOO THEN SHOW ME YOUR TRAPS.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nasboat posted:

I'm wondering how common of a move this has become in wrestling. We all know about how Jim Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior (although I believe he did that after WWF had trademarked the Ultimate Warrior and of course there was litigation or at least the threat of it between the two). Anyone know of any other guys who have officially changed their names?

The other big one other than the ones that have already been mentioned is Steve Austin. He legally changed his last name from Williams to Austin in 2007.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chunky Delight posted:

Speaking of Warrior what was his World Title reign like? He held on to the title from Wrestlemania 6 to the '91 Rumble so it was a fairly lengthy reign.
Now that I'm thinking of it, the reign was pretty uneventful. He defended the championship against Rick Rude at SummerSlam 1990, in a callback to their IC title feud a year earlier. At Survivor Series he was just in one of the traditional tag matches. And I don't think he wrestled on free TV much, so that was pretty much it?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

I like the one story where some football player's agent or whatever was trying to cut him through line to get a Warrior autograph, so Warrior demanded the agent take off his shirt to show what he'd accomplished in life.

Oh man, yeah I remember that one.

I just remember being so confused why someone so clearly homophobic (perhaps deep in the closet) would pick bodybuilding, pro wrestling, and giving backrubs for a living as a chiropractor as professions.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just remember being so confused why someone so clearly homophobic (perhaps deep in the closet) would pick bodybuilding, pro wrestling, and giving backrubs for a living as a chiropractor as professions.

Chances are if you're really homophobic you're compensating for something. :ssh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

flashy_mcflash posted:

For the same reason high school wrestling teams use "human being" like most people use spaces between words. You know it's homoerotic as poo poo, but you do it anyway, and you try to make people think you're disdainful of the gayness.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
The people that I normally watch RAW and SD with think that Cesaro/Claudio is absolute dog dookie. I know he has a history of being a good wrestler, are there any recommendations for things I can show them to try and prove that he might not deserve to get beat by Santino every time?
And yeah I read the spoilers so I know that's not the case this week, but in general.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I only know of Warrior Warrior and Chyna.

Stone Cold legally changed his name from Steve Williams to Steve Austin about five years ago.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

There's a reason those spoilers were in the SPOILER thread and not openly posted in the discussion thread.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Minidust posted:

Now that I'm thinking of it, the reign was pretty uneventful. He defended the championship against Rick Rude at SummerSlam 1990, in a callback to their IC title feud a year earlier. At Survivor Series he was just in one of the traditional tag matches. And I don't think he wrestled on free TV much, so that was pretty much it?

He was kind of like the Punk to Hogan's Cena - he was the champ but Hogan was still the top guy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Down Right Fierce posted:

The people that I normally watch RAW and SD with think that Cesaro/Claudio is absolute dog dookie. I know he has a history of being a good wrestler, are there any recommendations for things I can show them to try and prove that he might not deserve to get beat by Santino every time?

The easy answer is anything you can find on Youtube, because it's all great. But to pinpoint a few quick things.

"Top Ten Moves of" Youtubes are kinda cheesy, but they're a great starting point.

I've never seen this one before, but someone uploaded the entire Nigel McGuinness vs Bryan Danielson vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Tyler Black elimination match from Death Before Dishonor VI back in 2008. I imagine this match will, at worst, be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvqllXbGE9k

Here's a snippet from the Kings of Wrestling vs Kensuke Sasaki and Morishima. Claudio hosses up here spectacularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbXJsqGDnc

Also this is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFVhzB-wc0

His Art of Wrestling interview is one of the best of the show's run. http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/2011/06/22/aow-48-claudio-castagnoli/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My only problem with Cesaro is the Gotch Style Neutraliser is such a shite finisher, especially coming from the guy who used to use the Swiss Death and Ricola Bomb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

ULTIMATE. WARRIOR.

NOTHING the man does makes sense.

Why did he do that to Santa?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Warrior randomly wearing a baseball cap for that promo on Raw in 1996 was pretty great.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Orgophlax posted:

CM Punk is (now) his legal name so I don't think they could trademark it if they wanted to.
FYI, this never happened. His twitter remarks to this was how stupid it was and questioned where people come up with this crap.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Mayo and Catsup posted:

FYI, this never happened. His twitter remarks to this was how stupid it was and questioned where people come up with this crap.
I don't remember that at all. I remember him saying yes when asked directly about it on Twitter. Twice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Orgophlax posted:

I don't remember that at all. I remember him saying yes when asked directly about it on Twitter. Twice.

Punk saying yes to stupid questions on Twitter is kind of something he regularly does.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
whatever happened to that reality show of Warrior's? The one where he screams at emo band members and makes them get into shape until they puke? I really wanted to watch him abuse those punks.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
When Punk came to WWE, Heyman successfully argued to let him keep using the CM Punk name. Thats all there is to it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I've never seen this one before, but someone uploaded the entire Nigel McGuinness vs Bryan Danielson vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Tyler Black elimination match from Death Before Dishonor VI back in 2008. I imagine this match will, at worst, be great.

This was my MOTY for 08. Had so much fun watching it live. More of a showcase for Tyler, because Claudio is eliminated first. HOWEVER his heel turn comes right after he is eliminated and he looks like a BEAST

Also that vid has a slight audio desynch.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 25, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Down Right Fierce posted:

And yeah I read the spoilers so I know that's not the case this week, but in general.

Call your friends stupid americans and uppercut them.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Call your friends stupid americans and uppercut them.

Specifically, give them this kind of uppercut.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Back to the whole name copyright discussion, how the hell was MVP able to keep the rights to his name/gimmick?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

404GoonNotFound posted:

Back to the whole name copyright discussion, how the hell was MVP able to keep the rights to his name/gimmick?

He created it himself and WWE didn't demand him to fork it over.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
God, the Swiss Death is so awesome.

This is not exactly a question, but...I never got the appeal of the Michinoku Driver II/Juvi Driver. It's like, they really hang a lampshade on the fact that if you can bodyslam somebody, you could just drop them on their head.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

I only know of Warrior Warrior and Chyna.

This sounds like the world's worst lawfirm.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Have there ever been any famous/successful CHINESE (not Japanese) wrestlers?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Do you believe in Kayfabe? Because DDT in Japan has a sister company that's made entirely* of Chinese wrestlers! Also "Beautiful Bitch" Lin Bairon is Chinese!*

*They're all alter egos of Japanese wrestlers
*To hide that she isn't really Chinese, she usually speaks Engrish

I looked on Google, couldn't find a single pro wrestler from China. I'm sure there might be one or two that's made it on the independent circuit. Otherwise it looks like all Asian pro wrestlers either come from Japan or farther west in Asia.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Do you believe in Kayfabe? Because DDT in Japan has a sister company that's made entirely* of Chinese wrestlers! Also "Beautiful Bitch" Lin Bairon is Chinese!*

*They're all alter egos of Japanese wrestlers
*To hide that she isn't really Chinese, she usually speaks Engrish

I looked on Google, couldn't find a single pro wrestler from China. I'm sure there might be one or two that's made it on the independent circuit. Otherwise it looks like all Asian pro wrestlers either come from Japan or farther west in Asia.

haha @ DDT China. I'll have to check that out.

Regarding the second part, I know right? I was thinking that it was kind of odd that such a populous country never had even one major star or anything.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is there a specific reason that no one (as far as I know) uses the Bonzai Drop? Did it cause injuries? I don't really love the move, but it seems odd that no one has picked it up. Especially given the fact that he's a Samoan wrestler from the Anoai Family and they seem to pay tribute/respect to the wrestlers that came before them, it just seems odd.

The Whoopie Cushion doesn't have any successors either as far as I know, is there possibly a ban on rear end-based splashes?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Is there a specific reason that no one (as far as I know) uses the Bonzai Drop? Did it cause injuries? I don't really love the move, but it seems odd that no one has picked it up. Especially given the fact that he's a Samoan wrestler from the Anoai Family and they seem to pay tribute/respect to the wrestlers that came before them, it just seems odd.

The Whoopie Cushion doesn't have any successors either as far as I know, is there possibly a ban on rear end-based splashes?

They're not terribly impactful moves if you don't have a big rear end, and there isn't really anyone in WWE of the Rikishi/Yoko body type. There's big guys, and fat guys, but no big rear end guys that I can think of.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I dunno, Doink and Pinkie Sanchez aren't big dudes and they made it look good. Pinkie Sanchez used a whoopie cushion in Chikara for a while.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Vince Is an rear end in a top hat and is trying to pretend that rear end based offense is the best offense!!!

Also nobody really super fat outside of Brodus.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

Vince Is an rear end in a top hat and is trying to pretend that rear end based offense is the best offense!!!

Also nobody really super fat outside of Brodus.

I think that just validates my point!

Imagine that Brodus does the Yoko-drag to the corner, does a silly little dance, and Bonzai Drops a jobber! I am down. You prefer the flying crossbody or a splash? Pffffft. Some Samoan out there is blocking this move and I demand to get to the bottom (ha) of it!

Also I was unaware that Pinkie Sanchez did the Whoopie Cushion but he's a good choice, plus that move seems more dangerous, like a cushier double-stomp finisher.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not that I can recall, but Rikidozan and Kintaro Oki were Korean.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Also I was unaware that Pinkie Sanchez did the Whoopie Cushion but he's a good choice, plus that move seems more dangerous, like a cushier double-stomp finisher.

A panda bear does the most dangerous whoopie cuchion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JNcknGvhOcI#t=426s

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

Professor Toru Tanaka was half Chinese, half Hawaiian and born in Hawaii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Kobald in chikara does a whoopie cushion too. It looks like poo poo. Just like everything else he does.