Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hey thanks guys for the Praxis tips. I just got to Hengsha, about how far along am I? If pretty far I might just restart the game, I'm sure I missed some things in the Detroit hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anti-Hero posted:

Hey thanks guys for the Praxis tips. I just got to Hengsha, about how far along am I? If pretty far I might just restart the game, I'm sure I missed some things in the Detroit hub.

You get to go back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brainamp posted:

You get to go back.

Yes, but with the set of areas to visit changed and any unresolved sidequests are permanently cancelled at the end of any one visit.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

gooby on rails posted:

Yes, but with the set of areas to visit changed and any unresolved sidequests are permanently cancelled at the end of any one visit.

I already missed a couple of sidequests due to the UI not doing a great job of tracking it for me. My concern is this is probably one of those games I will only play through once (which is sad because it deserves more, but I don't have the time) so it might be better to reboot and start over with a more focused praxis path rather than muddle my way through it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

gooby on rails posted:

You might want to buy the Typhoon just in case the boss fights get frustrating.
Typhoon's pretty optional if you either pile up rockets or frags.

The main priorities I think should be inventory expansions and exploration-related augs (Hacking, punch through walls, high jump, lift heavy objects) that get you more XP and items.

Things to hold off for last are probably Fortify (take Stealth instead), Social Enhancer (only needed for a select few social battles, most can be solved by not skipping content and reloading your save if you gently caress up), extra batteries (take recharge rate instead), recoil compensation (sucks) and a second point in radar (sucks).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it possible to legitimately get every aug upgrade unlocked? I have a feeling with the amount of XP they throw at you it is.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

KillHour posted:

Is it possible to legitimately get every aug upgrade unlocked? I have a feeling with the amount of XP they throw at you it is.

No, You can not get every augment there is. You can cheat to get them, but you can't get them naturally even if you get as much exp as possible in the game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Also, unlike Deus Ex, it's not incredibly easy to accidently get infinite EXP.

Thanks Mr. Savage. :allears:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dixie Flatline posted:

Icarus landing is really good though just because it makes getting around so much easier.

It made navigating Hengsha a whole shitload easier for me.

Sometimes I fall off of things. :downs:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Also, unlike Deus Ex, it's not incredibly easy to accidently get infinite EXP.

Thanks Mr. Savage. :allears:
As nice as that exploit is, it's pretty much icing on the cake since you just need Pistols 3, Rifle 4, Lockpicking 3, Electronics 3, and MAYBE Demolition 2 (so you can one-shot the big bots with a LAM) to be in deep diminishing returns on XP gains.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I stayed up all last night playing this game, and I've just beaten the first boss. I'm back in Detroit. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty setting using a non-lethal stealth setup. I'm going to play the game again on the highest difficulty after I complete this playthrough, but I'm trying to earn most of the Steam achievements on this playthrough.

I think I messed up the Pacifist achievement because on my infiltrating the DRB hangout, I punched through a wall and grabbing a DRB gang member and snapping his neck. I don't know why it did this, but does this count against the Pacifist achievement? If it does it seems extremely ridiculous for the game to automatically kill someone when all I wanted to do was punch through a wall.

On this note, does hacking and setting turrents to fire on your enemies count against Pacifist? I can't think of anything else that would count against, but is there anything I should watch for to earn this achievement?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I think I messed up the Pacifist achievement because on my infiltrating the DRB hangout, I punched through a wall and grabbing a DRB gang member and snapping his neck. I don't know why it did this, but does this count against the Pacifist achievement? If it does it seems extremely ridiculous for the game to automatically kill someone when all I wanted to do was punch through a wall.
Yes. Don't punch through a wall when someone is on the other side. Check your radar.

quote:

On this note, does hacking and setting turrents to fire on your enemies count against Pacifist?
Yes.

quote:

I can't think of anything else that would count against, but is there anything I should watch for to earn this achievement?
Don't push enemies into hazards, i.e. fatal drops, electrified water, gas, or mines.

Exploding bots apparently kill enemies, but don't count against the achievement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't ever shoot a guy with more than one tranquilizer dart.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I can confirm that a boxguard exploding after being hit with an emp grenade and killing a guy doesn't gently caress up pacifist.

In other news, I found the xray vision a lot more useful than the radar, just flick it on for half a second every now and then so as not to waste power.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Aww... shucks :(. Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll get it next time.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Exploding bots apparently kill enemies, but don't count against the achievement.

Godamnit I thought it did count. That would have made things so much easier.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Aww... shucks :(. Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll get it next time.

Don't forget you can't kill anyone in the training prologue either...which I suppose means you have to dodge all the enemies because the only weapon you have is an assault rifle, and you don't have augs for takedowns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Don't forget you can't kill anyone in the training prologue either...which I suppose means you have to dodge all the enemies because the only weapon you have is an assault rifle, and you don't have augs for takedowns.
Yeah, but this is pretty easy to do and good practice for a non-lethal run in general. You don't even need to sneak through a lot of the rooms, you can just make a mad dash for the exit, enemies won't follow you very far.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
My first playthrough is also a pacifist run (I was going to go for no-alerts no-deaths but that would require too much savescumming for a first run). By the time I got to Shanghai I regret doing a no-death run. I can't wait to play this game again with a shotgun and a sniper rifle.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Lord Bude posted:

It's not that hard, I did it on my first playthrough. The patrol paths are pretty easy to see, so slipping past only takes slightly longer than killing them.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Finally got my pacifist run :woop:,but I somehow blew foxiest of the hounds. :saddowns:

What's the status you have to avoid? I got "Smooth operator" every mission, which I thought meant you never raised the alarm, which is what Foxiest was, I thought. I mean, I still got "Alarmed" in some situations, like Zhao's penthouse and Malik's Crash Site but there's absolutely no way to avoid those, is there?

Also, I wound up with 207,000 EXP at the end of my latest run, missing only six points worth of augs, and I was super-duper thorough. Aside from ghosting every mission and getting a headshot on everything every time, I think that'd drop you down to four aug points remaining at best. I would venture to say it's mathematically impossible to get every single aug point, but I bet if you're super-crazy you could come close.

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 27, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Judicious use of double takedown would probably do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GetWellGamers posted:

What's the status you have to avoid? I got "Smooth operator" every mission, which I thought meant you never raised the alarm, which is what Foxiest was, I thought. I mean, I still got "Alarmed" in some situations, like Zhao's penthouse and Malik's Crash Site but there's absolutely no way to avoid those, is there?

Yes, those are unavoidable and don't break the achievement. Getting spotted by a security camera does, though.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Suspicious, or alarmed? I reloaded if it ever went red.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GetWellGamers posted:

Suspicious, or alarmed? I reloaded if it ever went red.
It just counts whether any alarms go off, not whether enemies become Alarmed. So if you're seen you're fine, unless they set the alarm off. But if you trigger any laser tripwires, such as the laser gauntlet at the top of the Tai Yong building, or any of the lasers in Shanghai, you lose the achievement.

Scripted alarms, like the penthouse, don't count.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Brainamp posted:

It's not that hard, I did it on my first playthrough. The patrol paths are pretty easy to see, so slipping past only takes slightly longer than killing them.

I'm pretty sure you can also shoot gas canisters to score a non-lethal takedown for the majority of the enemies there.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Getting Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds on my first playthrough was really liberating. Now I just do whatever the hell I want. Unfortunately, the exp hound in me often ends up doing a non-lethal takedown anyway; it's just that now they get a silenced 10mm bullet to the head afterward.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GetWellGamers posted:

Finally got my pacifist run :woop:,but I somehow blew foxiest of the hounds. :saddowns:

Also, I wound up with 207,000 EXP at the end of my latest run, missing only six points worth of augs, and I was super-duper thorough. Aside from ghosting every mission and getting a headshot on everything every time, I think that'd drop you down to four aug points remaining at best. I would venture to say it's mathematically impossible to get every single aug point, but I bet if you're super-crazy you could come close.

It's completely possible not to be seen in Zhao's penthouse. I did it on my first run through, without killing anyone (on the hardest difficulty). :smug:

It took like 50 reloads. :downs:

Edit: What if you ghosted every mission, hacked every possible thing, and used takedowns or double takedowns on every single possible enemy in the game? I'm totally trying this.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 27, 2012

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

It's completely possible not to be seen in Zhao's penthouse. I did it on my first run through, without killing anyone (on the hardest difficulty). :smug:

It took like 50 reloads. :downs:

Edit: What if you ghosted every mission, hacked every possible thing, and used takedowns or double takedowns on every single possible enemy in the game?

Or just use the air duct and a bit of cloak and you're set.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have a storyline question that I hope somebody will just fill me in on becuase I don't want to restart my game.

I talked Zeke down in the Sarif factory stand-off. Then I forgot to meet up with him back in Detroit before I left for the FEMA facility. When I got to Sandoval's "apartment" Zeke was waiting with the bait and hit me with an EMP. (I think my crowning achievement in single player games was hitting him with the stun gun even through all the poo poo EMPs do to you....) If I were to do his little side-mission back in Detroit at the beginning of the game, would he be more hospitable to me in Sandoval's downtown apartment?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

tadashi posted:

I talked Zeke down in the Sarif factory stand-off. Then I forgot to meet up with him back in Detroit before I left for the FEMA facility. When I got to Sandoval's "apartment" Zeke was waiting with the bait and hit me with an EMP. (I think my crowning achievement in single player games was hitting him with the stun gun even through all the poo poo EMPs do to you....) If I were to do his little side-mission back in Detroit at the beginning of the game, would he be more hospitable to me in Sandoval's downtown apartment?
I finished the mission and he was still hostile there so no.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

tadashi posted:

I have a storyline question that I hope somebody will just fill me in on becuase I don't want to restart my game.

Nope. Always hostile at that point.

^^^ :mad:

\/\/\/ :allears:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 27, 2012

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No, Zeke's sidequest doesn't change how he reacts to you in Sandoval's apartment: he's always hostile and waiting to ambush.

e:f,b^2

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Or just use the air duct and a bit of cloak and you're set.

There's an air duct? :aaaaa:

Also, I didn't have cloak until Montreal

tadashi posted:

Also, the EMP mines are under the body and attached to the praxis kit by a wire. If you move the body, you can deactivate the mines, and take the praxis kit without being zapped.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 27, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

KillHour posted:

There's an air duct? :aaaaa:

Also, I didn't have cloak until Montreal

I think it's in the wall to your left when you enter her office.. It might be covered.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That would have been easier. Took an hour and a half to get past that part. :saddowns:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I hacked literally everything that could be in the game, I think. Like, I'd get inside a room and then find another way outside and around it just so I could hack the locks on the other doors, too. I'd hack computers I had keycodes for, hell, I hacekd my own computer in my office. And I never, ever, *Ever* left a hack without every single prize. By the time I got to the last area I had about 80 nukes and 55 stop viruses, not to mention fifty grand in the wallet. It took some monumental fridge and vending machine and copier shuffling, especially in the ground floor of the police station- since I won't even knock out any of the officers- but it's possible to hack things even in relatively "Public" areas, and reap all the sweet sweet exp from them.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GetWellGamers posted:

I hacked literally everything that could be in the game, I think. Like, I'd get inside a room and then find another way outside and around it just so I could hack the locks on the other doors, too. I'd hack computers I had keycodes for, hell, I hacekd my own computer in my office. And I never, ever, *Ever* left a hack without every single prize. By the time I got to the last area I had about 80 nukes and 55 stop viruses, not to mention fifty grand in the wallet. It took some monumental fridge and vending machine and copier shuffling, especially in the ground floor of the police station- since I won't even knock out any of the officers- but it's possible to hack things even in relatively "Public" areas, and reap all the sweet sweet exp from them.

But there is still not enough exp in the game for every aug. You can get a good majority of the upgrades, but not all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dallan Invictus posted:

No, Zeke's sidequest doesn't change how he reacts to you in Sandoval's apartment: he's always hostile and waiting to ambush.

e:f,b^2

If you aren't concerned with playing non lethally you can also just kill Zeke after you finish talking to him in the alleyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you do that, the dead security guy trap (with praxis kit) won't be there as far as I know.

• Locked thread