Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

Ahahaha, oh man. As hilarious as I think it'd be if they used that game, I don't think it'd make for particularly good television considering how freaking TEDIOUS that game can get.

Yeah, but still, it's GCCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Dragomorph posted:

Ahahaha, oh man. As hilarious as I think it'd be if they used that game, I don't think it'd make for particularly good television considering how freaking TEDIOUS that game can get. It's a cavalcade of completely terrible design decisions that somehow ends up being oddly fascinating in spite of -- or maybe because of -- them.

Doesn't that make for a perfect GCCX challenge game?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They really didn't try with the cover of the DVD. Hoping the image is a placeholder.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
When I saw that hint I thought "Midnight Club" but it was one of those situations where my brain just pulled that out of its list of video game titles without actually thinking about what that game is.

If Arino decided to play a modern game and that's what he picked I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night for a week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

For those in Japan, the next GCCX event is a live stage challenge in Odaiba. August 26.

Thanks, Arino. Throw a party on my birthday that I can't go to.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

GidgetNomates posted:

When I saw that hint I thought "Midnight Club" but it was one of those situations where my brain just pulled that out of its list of video game titles without actually thinking about what that game is.

If Arino decided to play a modern game and that's what he picked I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night for a week.

It could be fun to watch him race through the streets of Tokyo in Midnight Club 2 at least. Definitely won't happen but a man can dream.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GidgetNomates posted:

i think hed probably go for one of the shutokou battle games instead :colbert:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

zari-gani posted:

Doesn't that make for a perfect GCCX challenge game?

I guess I should explain:

See, the thing with the game is that it's this weird hybrid of RPG-style and action platforming. In order to get through the stages, you have to accumulate a certain amount of cash that goes up with each level you go through. The problems, though:

1.) The amounts are usually in the several thousands, and it's only a matter of luck whether you find amounts of cash in the blocks you break that can get you to those amounts with any expediency, unless you're SUPER lucky with the gambling minigame.

2.) You usually are going to end up spending your money on other things, like healing when you inevitably take damage in the earlier levels because your attack sucks, or YOUR OTHER TEAMMATE FOR THE LEVEL.

3.) Speaking of which: Activating the RPG-style battle requires landing near an enemy JUST RIGHT. Land wrong, and you'll either end up taking damage or you'll just squash them like a Goomba, gaining no experience. (The latter earns you cash, mind you, but the way the best amounts land tends to mean it goes through the ground before you can grab it.)

4.) Almost none of the main three are strong enough out of the box to take on the stronger enemies, so you're pretty much forced to grind at LEAST a level or two in order to take out the bosses you need to kill before you even get on the money scale.

5.) Did I mention that as far as I can tell, there's no way to save and NO CONTINUES? And there's at least twelve stages of this sort of thing, the last stage of which, I believe, requires you to get somewhere in the realm of over 2,000,000 yen.

That said, there ARE some entertaining bits, which explains why I had a bit of a brief obsession with the game:

1.) The characters are almost comically inept; when they grab onto the side of something, their legs flail for a bit before they can grab on properly. And if you hit their heads on ceilings, you actually smash them flat. THIS ACTUALLY HAS GAMEPLAY CONSEQUENCES, as you suddenly find you can't drop through 1-space wide gaps unless you mash on the jump button flailing like a moron until your head reinflates.

2.) Here's how the RPG Battles go: You smash a button and hope you have enough strength to push harder and faster than your opponent. You get a few special moves, but they run on a "waza" meter, and once you're out, you're out. There's also items you can throw. The main goal is to actually smash your opponent into a wall. If you're strong enough, you can insta-gib some enemies by knocking them THROUGH a wall -- which is fine, except they can do that too, and if they used an item on you that stuns you in some way... Well, I hope they're not too strong.

...you know, I guess it COULD make for an entertaining episode with very judicious editing, but I'd be amazed if he could finish it in one day with the amount of bullshit it throws in your direction.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dragomorph posted:

...you know, I guess it COULD make for an entertaining episode with very judicious editing, but I'd be amazed if he could finish it in one day with the amount of bullshit it throws in your direction.

That makes it sound a lot like the Saint Seiya episode. Admittedly that's one of my least favorite episodes...

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

When I last checked, airplanes still travel to japan.

(What I'm saying is that suprise yourself by getting an airplane ticket to japan with your closest friend/family and have the best loving birthday ever)

makere fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 22, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Liku posted:

They really didn't try with the cover of the DVD. Hoping the image is a placeholder.

From what I've heard, it's the only official GCCX picture Discotek received so they didn't have much to work with. Also Fuji TV has final say on any design choices. They really try hard to deliver the best product they can (look at their other covers). If there are any shortcomings, best to assume it's due to circumstances beyond their control.

I don't know if that's the final cover or not. But I do know they're trying to get a little extra something neat...

Random Stranger posted:

Pretty sure they use a lottery system for tickets anyway, like most events in Japan.

Throwing in my own guess for the next episode: Ultraman Club or Youkai Club.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 22, 2012

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Throwing in my own guess for the next episode: Ultraman Club or Youkai Club.

Watching these videos I can almost imagine the voice of the announcer and sighs from Arino.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

zari-gani posted:

It'd better be. I'm a huge sucker for text-based mystery games and I love any time Arino challenges one.

Ssssame. That would be great.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This gives off a stronger cheap-piece-of-crap vibe than I have felt in many a moon.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I like all the episodes where Arino is touring some city and talking to people. Thanks for translating them. :)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"We're not a travelcooking show!!"

I would watch a show where Arino & co. just travelled the world like Pilot Guides or No Reservations.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Just finished watching the Gun-Dec episode. I hadn't seen the Japanese box art before, which is a shameless ripoff clear homage to Bruce Willis. The American box art has what looks like Mel Gibson and Sharon Stone circa Total Recall. But I guess there's a long history of videogame box art using then-action stars like Stallone, Schwarzenegger (Contra) and the guy who played Kyle Reese from terminator (Metal Gear). Eh. Reference images are reference images, but I wonder what the rules are for that sort of thing?

Per the actual episode and challenge I knew he'd win! I also knew he'd have trouble at the stage 5-2 birds. But he completely blew past areas that gave me fits, like the stage 5 and 7 bosses. Maybe creative editing was involved, but I doubt it. I sort of wanted to see him struggle, but he pretty much crushed the game, so good for him.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think it's more Kurt Russell than Mel Gibson personally.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

I think it's more Kurt Russell than Mel Gibson personally.

Ok, I see it too. The hair is all Gibson though.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Episode #145
8/2/2012
Famicom Detective Club

Hard to watch raws of text heavy games. Hope his skills in adventure games is still great.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

In the past, Arino has challenged shooting games, jumpin' games, and even simulation games. Today we see him challenge his very first Role Playing Game. The RPG that combines Arino's two true loves, games and comics, into one package. Shonen Jump's 20th anniversary crossover extravaganza, Famicom Jump!

Translation by Zari-gani

Direct
http://depositfiles.com/files/nj4bqpgo7

Download torrent81 (1 files; 548.08 MB)
View torrent stats

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Finally, a season 3 episode subbed. Many great unsubbed episodes from that season! Great episode! Can't wait for Dragon Power as well.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 26, 2012

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Excellent, new release! Thanks again for all the hard work!

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Haywood Japwnme posted:

"We're not a travelcooking show!!"

I would watch a show where Arino & co. just travelled the world like Pilot Guides or No Reservations.

I still hold out hope for a crossover show where Arino travels to hole-in-the-wall restaurants in the middle of nowhere while Anthony Bourdain is forced to play bad Famicom games in a cramped Tokyo office.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

joek0 posted:

Episode #145
8/2/2012
Famicom Detective Club

Hard to watch raws of text heavy games. Hope his skills in adventure games is still great.

zari-gani, you got exactly what you asked for!

And now I get to wait for you to sub it because it's all I could have ever wanted :3:

But seriously I'm stoked to watch Famicom Jump! Thanks so much, guys!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

From what I've heard, it's the only official GCCX picture Discotek received so they didn't have much to work with. Also Fuji TV has final say on any design choices. They really try hard to deliver the best product they can (look at their other covers). If there are any shortcomings, best to assume it's due to circumstances beyond their control.

I don't know if that's the final cover or not. But I do know they're trying to get a little extra something neat...

That's a drat shame, but if it's all they can work with then so be it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

You guys are the best. This will stave off the scratching until the next fix.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great episode guys! I hope you know how awesome you all are. :)

I love how the game's ending was pretty much nothing but "Thanks for playing and reading Jump magazine!" It literally is the video game equivalent of "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" from A Christmas Story, only it takes a lot longer for the player to find out and they probably know it's more or less a commercial going in.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

I love this artwork.
Thanks again!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Obeast posted:

That was another great episode guys! I hope you know how awesome you all are. :)

I love how the game's ending was pretty much nothing but "Thanks for playing and reading Jump magazine!" It literally is the video game equivalent of "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" from A Christmas Story, only it takes a lot longer for the player to find out and they probably know it's more or less a commercial going in.

At one part in the episode theres an NPC whose sole purpose is to tell you everyone should be using one of these things.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

What is the screen for on that monstrosity? Do I even want to know?

OHNONINJA
Sep 11, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

What is the screen for on that monstrosity? Do I even want to know?

Apparently it had a couple of games that could play on the LCD screen, as well as the ability to input codes to change the game programming, like a Game Genie on the fly, from what I understand.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

AD Urakawa laying down the line.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I know this isn't the Japanese language thread but can I ask a couple of random Japanese questions since I think there are like at least 4 people in here that speak it?

Is there a politeness or gender thing as far as pronouncing the word-final "u" of words? I noticed in Ring Ring Tactics the woman on the phone pronounced all the vowels of "desu" a lot, although mostly at the end of phrases. I don't think I've ever heard a man do that, so I was wondering if it was like a politeness thing or a feminine thing? I also noticed it when I was watching the Downtown newspaper batsu episode, that the woman (actress?) who played the secretary said "Ohayo gozaimasuuu" with a really long u at the end, which made me think it was some sort of formality/politeness thing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's more of a dialect/accent thing than politeness. I have seen it frequently used by maids or other female servants, but I think that's more akin to a butler having a stereotypical British accent.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
That game's not like Jump Ultimate Stars at all.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

That game's not like Jump Ultimate Stars at all.

Famicom Jump is an RPG. Jump Ultimate Superstars is an fighting/brawler game. Of course it would be 2 different games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the new episode guys.

Is your first language English, joek0? I feel like you miss the point a lot of the time.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I loved the special reactions for really bad matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Thanks for the new episode guys.

Is your first language English, joek0? I feel like you miss the point a lot of the time.

My first language is English. I guess I just don't get the sarcasm sometimes.