Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Koirhor posted:

I'm more offended that Toyota decided that it needed to be a Scion in the USA, so the Toyota president literally says "Hay wtf no sports car for Toyota, let's make one" Proceeds to make one and then put a Scion badge on it in arguably their largest market. If I ever get one rebadging will be the very first thing I do.

But will you be so committed that you'll also get the Toyota airbag ($800)? :)

Re: Spark Plugs, there has to be an easier way... this is just the "official" version.

Alternately, I see a lot of people installing stiffer/new motor mounts @ 60k :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem that much different from any other Subaru.

Seems a hell of a lot different to me. The service manual for my 2002 WRX only has you removing the battery and washer fluid bottle on the driver's side and the air intake on the passenger side. There's no disconnect exhaust and engine lifting fuckary.

There looks like there's even more clearance on my '11. It almost looks like I could get them from below without removing anything.

That said, most driver's will only every have to replace the plugs once, maybe twice in the lifetime of the car. I would be interested to see what the actual labor for that is as a dealer as it may be worth it just to not gently caress with it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It is going to be a lot harder. The engine is a lot lower and farther back because it doesn't have to be in front of and above the front differential. Plugs are definitely way harder to get to and the service manual for a WRX says nothing about unbolting motor mounts wherever that idea came from. Until people actually start doing it we'll never know though.

As far as wheels go, there are plenty of options out there because the fitment is the same as for the 02-present WRX. People bitch about it not being 5x114 but the car is light enough that it probably won't need a hub upgrade (even though I have it mostly figured out). My friend Matt plans on spending a lot of time at the track in his FRS so we'll see. He has AST shocks on order and a set of 17x9 mach V wheels with RS3s.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 17, 2012

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

revmoo posted:

Holy loving poo poo! I no longer have any interest in this car. What the gently caress were they thinking?

:goonsay:

Get over it. It's been designed to have nothing compromise its handling or centre of gravity. So you get to choose: buy this car and enjoy driving. Then save up $5 for every 1000 miles you drive and use that to pay a shop to do the plug change. Or buy an 80s beater with no goddamn modern technology that can break because only a real man changes his own plugs and drives cars he can engine swap in his backyard in under 5 minutes.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'm just going to assume that almost all the BRZs and FR-Ss will still be running on the stock plugs ten years from now.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Is there a timing belt service at 120 ish thousand kilometers? (around what the EJ's are).

Wondering why Subaru didn't spend the extra 100 bucks on iridium plugs and have them done when the whole front of the car was off anyway?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ecstatic posted:

Is there a timing belt service at 120 ish thousand kilometers? (around what the EJ's are).

Wondering why Subaru didn't spend the extra 100 bucks on iridium plugs and have them done when the whole front of the car was off anyway?

Uh, which part of "budget sports car" don't you understand? :raise:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Devyl posted:

I'm just going to assume that almost all the BRZs and FR-Ss will still be running on the stock plugs ten years from now.

Upgraded plugs will be a huge selling point when people are looking to trade up

"yeah dude, took me 7 hours, worth it"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Upgraded plugs will be a huge selling point when people are looking to trade up

"yeah dude, took me 7 hours, worth it"

N/A Subarus before the BRZ: Remove engine, change head gaskets.

N/A Subaru BRZ: Remove engine, change spark plugs. :downs:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Might as well get those head gaskets too while it's down. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ecstatic posted:

Should be timing chain, the FB is.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Devyl posted:

Just like the rear 3 plugs on FWD V6's.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So I guess I'll invest in a hoist in the next five years, and I'll just refresh the whole drat engine at sixty thousand miles. It'll probably need a clutch at that point anyway.

e: I will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't need new headgaskets at that point, too

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hello Spaceman posted:

:goonsay:

Get over it. It's been designed to have nothing compromise its handling or centre of gravity. So you get to choose: buy this car and enjoy driving. Then save up $5 for every 1000 miles you drive and use that to pay a shop to do the plug change. Or buy an 80s beater with no goddamn modern technology that can break because only a real man changes his own plugs and drives cars he can engine swap in his backyard in under 5 minutes.

After thinking about it for a while, you are right. I think and hope the rest of the motor would be reliable at least. I hope they use iridium plugs.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

^ Subaru technician.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Pretty much every FWD V6 (half of the cars on the road) need engine mounts undone to reach rear plugs, why are you whining about something that trivial? I bet someone will figure out a combination of wrenches and sockets to do that in record time anyway. And judging by the pictures so far, the accessories are very much accessible from either top or bottom, which is much more important then a set of once-in-50k-miles spark plugs.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The kids will just take hole saws to the unibody rails. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I was able to replace the engine mounts on my focus in the parking lot of my apartment I figure I'll be able to do the same on an FR-S when replacing the spark plugs :v:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Saw my first FR-S/BRZ in the wild last night on my street. Surprised to see it on the south side instead of downtown or north side of Chicago. It was the ultramarine blue that I think is galaxy blue silica on the BRZ, looked loving awesome (although it does sound a little anemic).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Jalopnik embarasses itself while breaking news of the first turbo kit fitted:
http://jalopnik.com/5927631/the-first-turbocharged-subaru-brz-adds-13-horsepower

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

Just like the rear 3 plugs on FWD V6's.

The only FWD V6 I've ever changed plugs on didn't require anything special to get to the rear plugs. I believe it was a Mercury Sable, circa 1999. You know, the oval ones with the Ford Vulvan in them before the change to coil-on-plug.

There wasn't a lot of room, but it wasn't that bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

the oval ones with the Ford Vulvan in them

Well yeah, they're easier to work on once you've warmed them up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Well yeah, they're easier to work on once you've warmed them up.

Wow, yeah, Freud would have a field day with that one...

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Wow, yeah, Freud would have a field day with that one...

Sometimes putting a 5/8" socket into a spark plug hole is just puttig a 5/8" socket into a spark plug hole.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
So uhhhh have we talked about the accelerated performance turbo car putting down 200whp?

It's expensive, but it's cool to see such options so early in the car's history.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mat_Drinks posted:

So uhhhh have we talked about the accelerated performance turbo car putting down 200whp?

It's expensive, but it's cool to see such options so early in the car's history.

It's about a 50whp gain, so it's not too bad. $6k seems like a lot of money for that but I haven't exactly been keeping up on how much kits generally run. It's capable of more power too, so it has that going for it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

fknlo posted:

It's capable of more power too, so it has that going for it.

On race gas or E85 maybe, I can't imagine there's that much more room for power gains on pump gas - unless you don't mind playing Russian roulette with your engine every time you drive it. I would have to assume lower CR pistons will be a requirement before you can turn up the boost.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 25, 2012

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
So, I heard from guy I race with that his friend bought one and after the 1000 mile break in the ECU unlocks timing and suddenly you have like 10% more power. Is this a butt dyno claim, or actually true?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's possible... The Alfa Romeo mito cloverleafs' ECU restricts the power to 80% until the 1,000 mile break-in mark crosses.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Brigdh posted:

So, I heard from guy I race with that his friend bought one and after the 1000 mile break in the ECU unlocks timing and suddenly you have like 10% more power. Is this a butt dyno claim, or actually true?

Doubtful, but I wouldnt rule out he simply noticed the engine breaking in. On a boxer engine especially, they do need a few kms to bed in well.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brigdh posted:

Could be, it's not without precedence. BMW is starting to do that with their bikes, the S1000RR has a 9000rpm limiter until you get the first service done, and the dealer plugs the ECU into their service module.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

On race gas or E85 maybe, I can't imagine there's that much more room for power gains on pump gas - unless you don't mind playing Russian roulette with your engine every time you drive it. I would have to assume lower CR pistons will be a requirement before you can turn up the boost.

Yeah, you're replacing other things if you turn up the boost, but you don't have to buy another turbo! I think they claim it will be good up to 350hp.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cat Terrist posted:

Doubtful, but I wouldnt rule out he simply noticed the engine breaking in. On a boxer engine especially, they do need a few kms to bed in well.

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on how an engine breaking in would relate to more power/better response/etc? Especially how a boxer engine is unique in this regard. My car knowledge is weak in this regard, but I'd like to know more. Thanks

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Brigdh posted:

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on how an engine breaking in would relate to more power/better response/etc? Especially how a boxer engine is unique in this regard. My car knowledge is weak in this regard, but I'd like to know more. Thanks

There is no unique bed in procedure (altho drive it like you stole it but nothing over 4000 rpm is a bit different, which is what I've been told by the dealer to use) - but it's the nature of boxer motors to need a few more kms to achieve their best tolerances.

To start from the beginning -

When an engine is first built, even with today's much better tolerances, they all need a bit of time to take rough edges off the moving parts, the rough bits are still boody small but they are there. So the engine will need to wear them down to be smooth. These rough edges dont allow the engine to be quite as free spinning and drag on the moving parts. Thence, you develop less power, the engine isnt as happy to rev etc.

Once the rough edges are gone, you have completely smooth bearings, cylinder walls etc so the engine now can produce it best. Which for a I or V format, occurs at around 1000 to 3000 kms. The fact htere's likely to be tiny metal shavings in the oil is the reason why you flush the oil at 1000 - 1500 kms for any motor.

The difference between a boxer and a I or V is that there is a tendancy for a Boxer to bed in on the bottom side first and to take longer to fully achieve bedding in on the top - so you get your smooth cylinder wall at the bottom fairly quickly, but the top will take longer. So thence you have more resistance to parts moving for longer until the top surfaces achieve their bed in as well. Given tolerances and smoothness from the factory is much better than it used to be, the effect isnt as noticable but it's still there.

Also, because there's more pressure on the bottom surfaces, there's more friction until it all smooths off than in a I or V, thence less performance.

It was I believe first realised what a difference a well bedded in Boxer motor had over one with the standard bed in distance in about the 60's VW ran a bunch of Beetles in production car racing and the factory kept wondering why they got their asses handed to them by a privateer with a car with 20,000 kms. It turned out the engine with the kms on it was able to rev better and produce a handful more hp as a result. This became a resonably well known trick for Beetles and Porches - use engines that had 10,000 to 20,000 kms on them and you were 1-2 secs a lap quicker. It also applied to Subaru engines as well, up to the WRX it was always a good idea to use an engine with a few kms on it to get the best out of it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So this happened:

http://www.news.com.au/news/nissan-takes-aim-at-toyotas-86/story-fnejnq7a-1226435862694

quote:

NISSAN bosses have finally given the green light for a compact sports car, referred to in-house as the "Mini-Z".
This diminutive Zed car is not to be confused with the Silvia coupe (200SX/240SX), cancelled in the wake of the global financial crisis in 2008. This is an all-new compact sportster in the vein of the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ joint venture.
Plans were revealed at last year's Shanghai motor show in the form of the Compact Sports Concept. Conceived as a joint venture between Japan and China, it has since been shuffled around Nissan's HQ until "it has finally been granted a go sign", as a source says.
"The Japan side held the R&D initiative from very early on," he says, "while the Chinese team worked on the design side and assembling relevant data."
The concept is fitted with the 148kW turbo from a Nissan Juke. The 1.6-litre was the base engine for the DeltaWing. The differences between last year's concept and this latest scoop rendering show the styling has been moulded into a far more aggressive yet appealing silhouette. Carsguide also has just learned that a 4WD version will join the initial front-wheel drive base model.
Our source suggests the success of the GT86 and BRZ has done nothing to hurt the research and development timetable of this new compact coupe. The two cars will no doubt be seen as rivals.
China is thought to be the car's main market but Japan and some European countries will receive small numbers. The US is still being considered.
In terms of price, Carsguide expects Nissan to undercut its Toyota-Subaru rivals by as much as 10 per cent.
Another major difference will be design. The coupe follows in the Juke's footsteps and employs some unique lines, departing from the conventional sports car proportions of the GT86/BRZ. The Nissan will be close in size to the Honda CR-Z hybrid.
A huge sales point for the new coupe will be its 4WD system, a miniature version of that used on the mighty GT-R. The Mini-Z gets the Juke's all-mode 4WD i-system with torque vectoring.
The Nissan coupe's engine falls short of the power figure of the Toyota/Subaru FA20 powerplant but it has a wider torque band for greater mid-to-top end response.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

It also applied to Subaru engines as well, up to the WRX it was always a good idea to use an engine with a few kms on it to get the best out of it.

Not a boxer but you could always pull a BMW and just weld the cylinder heads on and see how much boost it'll take after 100,000 miles.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wow.

A mini-GT-R with 198hp with looks like that, at ~$24,000?

And they are only considering bringing it to the US?

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 27, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Wow.

What did the 86 start out as? 2400lbs, low 200s hp, low 20k USD?

Though it certainly seems possible, given Juke capability and pricing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That seems pretty ripe for Renault to stick an Alpine badge on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Kenshin posted:

Wow.

Finally MiniFoo, you are being a crafty consumer! Hello? I'll take eight! :zoid:

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 27, 2012

• Locked thread