Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The descriptions don't always match how your dwarf will end up acting. My dwarf, on paper, is pretty much the opposite of me.

Then he threw a tantrum and became the gooniest gently caress in the fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaodai posted:

Then he threw a tantrum and became the gooniest gently caress in the fortress.

Pretty sure that title is always going to be held by Olesh.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

24th Sandstone, 238

We're here! We're finally here! It doesn't matter if it's just a hole in a hill - this journey is over and here I will find Glory!
I thought about it during the jorney here: I don't know any crafts, but I know how to use a shield, and I know how to fight - I'll join the army and fight to protect this place! I'm going to be like the Great Heroes from the Legends!

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure that title is always going to be held by Olesh.

I especially like how my dwarf has done nothing of note except for getting punched by another dwarf having a tantrum.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Toiwat posted:

This dwarf seems like a complete opposite of me. Also "The Creation of Slaughter" was an awesome name.

Oh god look at those skills - I'm not gonna last long am I :ohdear:

You are only 10 so you cant be drafted... yet.
I am curious as to how a dwarven child has experience using armor and shields.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rurik posted:

It might be confirmation bias speaking

It is confirmation bias speaking.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Zapdos posted:

You are only 10 so you cant be drafted... yet.
I am curious as to how a dwarven child has experience using armor and shields.

You ask this after seeing what Male Man has been through??

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

OhCrap posted:

You ask this after seeing what Male Man has been through??

Using a shield and armor... being a shield and armor...

I suppose those are similar.

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.

TildeATH posted:

Using a shield and armor... being a shield and armor...

I suppose those are similar.

Isn't "being your *x*" like the number one cheesy way of saying that someone is good at something? Loving all these updates btw.. I feel like making a drawing again soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OhCrap posted:

I can't think of a time when I've had more fun in adventurer mode. There was another site near Bronzestabbed where I stumbled in the middle of a kobold civil war. I did some cleanup, proceeded on to peaceful old Kilrudzat, and had a nice time talking to all the dwarfs.

Went down to the cavern and paid respects to the bodies of i poo poo trains, Ventnor, neongrey, and Mlle. Then stumbled on a tableau of troglodytes, Internet Kraken, and other critters beating the living crap out of Bronzestabbed dwarfs. Internet Kraken was stopped by a heroic toad. Wandered back up to the surface, had a snooze, and promptly got the hell kicked out of me by a harpy that had been ... changed.

I can't help but think what an awesome site Leperfish has picked :D

This is skirting the edge of spoilers. There's nothing really revelatory here, but nobody knew about kobold civil wars, for example. Please use caution, thanks! :)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

This is skirting the edge of spoilers. There's nothing really revelatory here, but nobody knew about kobold civil wars, for example. Please use caution, thanks! :)

I don't want to know what exactly you put in the game (don't spoil me/us!), but I'm curious if you expect whatever you put into the game to pop up sometime during the LP. Or what happens if they never do?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Brannock posted:

I don't want to know what exactly you put in the game (don't spoil me/us!), but I'm curious if you expect whatever you put into the game to pop up sometime during the LP. Or what happens if they never do?

It doesn't kill us. :v:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I love my dwarf so much

Keep on shining, you naked, whip-wielding star

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leperflesh posted:

Isn't kobold "civil wars" just a glitch involving embarking on top of one of their camps?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've not done anything to the kobolds, and IK, I don't know. However... adventure mode reveals a lot of stuff, and there's been some behind-the-scenes discussions about doing something with it in the LP. I'd prefer nobody spoil things by posting adventure mode shenanigans in the thread. Visiting the fortress is fine, of course, because you're only going to see what's already there, but the rest of the world is our oyster so let's not pillage all the pearls, or some other terrible metaphor.

The other thing is, Omon Atho (the Realm of Soul) is a pretty good worldgen. We could conceivably do more DF LPs here, including adventure-mode LPs.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010
Alright probably no update until tomorrow afternoon, I got a busy night tonight!

Shiv Katall
Feb 11, 2008
Rape knows no boundaries
Liar. You are sitting at your computer like the rest of us. Give us an update. Free Zaodai

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zapdos posted:

Alright probably no update until tomorrow afternoon, I got a busy night tonight!

She's a man, man.

Free Zaodai

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry. I'm not looking to spoil anything. I used the term just to give a broad name to what I found happening without going into detail about why it happened, but it was better left out. I fully understand your point. It was only intended as a one-off post to say how much fun I had trying it out.

Leperflesh posted:

I've not done anything to the kobolds, and IK, I don't know. However... adventure mode reveals a lot of stuff, and there's been some behind-the-scenes discussions about doing something with it in the LP. I'd prefer nobody spoil things by posting adventure mode shenanigans in the thread. Visiting the fortress is fine, of course, because you're only going to see what's already there, but the rest of the world is our oyster so let's not pillage all the pearls, or some other terrible metaphor.

The other thing is, Omon Atho (the Realm of Soul) is a pretty good worldgen. We could conceivably do more DF LPs here, including adventure-mode LPs.

Totally agree. It really is a terrific worldgen. I could've just said that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

From Hihohe
I am the human artist from nearby Saquarpesor and in congratulations of your new overseer I have sent this engraving of Zapdos.

Please bring more tales upon our caravans so that I may illustrate them and send them to you fortress.
All craftsmanship is of the most mediocre quality

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 28, 2012

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Hihohe posted:

From Hihohe
I am the human artist from nearby Saquarpesor and in congratulations of your new overseer I have sent this engraving of Zapdos.

Please bring more tales upon our caravans so that I may illustrate them and send them to you fortress.
All craftsmanship is of the most mediocre quality

:allears: This is magnificent

Ok I fixed Rurik and Tarox's information. Let me know if there are any other problems.
New update coming in a few.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
So, this is where we're at with fan contributions, huh?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Wubbles posted:

So, this is where we're at with fan contributions, huh?
Here's an engraved image of dwarves demanding the release of Zaodai from the cowardly Overseer. The dwarves are followed by steel Forgotten Beasts. The image menaces with spikes of progress and social commentary.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

1st Timber, 238

There have been more complaints from the military recently. Must improve barracks immediately.

I will move it to the area around the new main staircase. This way we will always be between the enemy and the fortress proper.

3rd Timber, 238

Leperfish tells a version of the old "Help I've fallen and I can't reach my beer!" joke. A classic but I tire of it.

Ajaxify's corpse has not been moved from where she fell. I am informed that there is no place for corpses to rest besides tombs. I designate corpse stockpile for this purpose until more tombs are ready.

I order the expansion of the dining hall. More room for the new tables and thrones needed.

7th Timber, 238

It is Barbarossa's twelfth birthday. Welcome to adulthood Barbarossa.

I ask what she would wish for her coming of age. She replies "My mother." I ask if she would like a second wish. "A well would be nice." I will get on that barbarossa.

(OOC: You have the best traits)

12th Timber, 238

I begin work on the reservoir fix. The only difficult part will be blocking off the existing flow.

A door will be placed in the wall for future projects.

The outpost liason from Akrelzuglar arrived today at the head of a large caravan. I realized I had not checked our supply of trade goods. Hopefully OhCrap made preparations.

It would appear that he did. 8 bins of crafts are available for trade.

13th Timber, 238

poo poo. Log082 reported sighting a significant goblin force approaching the fortress.

invaders

Actually only about the strength of one of their standard squads, but also trained wartoad ridden by their leader.

All dwarves ordered inside. I will not risk confronting them as our military is still woefully underequipped.

Fortunately, the caravan has many trained soldiers guarding them. More than enough to deal with the threat.

Hope they will understand, although it is probable they will not be in the mood to trade afterwards.

15th Timber, 238

Log082 ignored my order to stay indoors and rushed outside to recover his weapon he carelessly cast aside.

He luckily heard our shouts, realized his error and returned safe.

17th Timber, 238

Now Tiler Kiwi has left to patrol the outside route despite my order to stay indoors.

He also heard shouts, came back inside, I locked outside doors.

20th Timber, 238

No sounds of combat can be heard outside. Conversation with caravan through door reveals that goblins have not moved to engage.

Work on the reservoir progresses. Barrier wall constructed, floodgate connected but not linked to lever.

New barracks partially set up. Proper walls, floors, stockpiles for equipment and quarters will come later.

22nd Timber, 238

InwardChaos turned 13 today. For some reason she was held back a year. Will have to talk to woytaz about it.

Conversation with her went much the same as with Barbarossa.

I check on supplies available for birthday party and discover alcohol shortage.

I ordered the construction of another still. Hopefully this will increase output enough to provide a surplus. If only we could trade with caravan.

23rd Timber, 238

Fiddler Three is thirteen today. At least there is still one happy child in this fortress.

24th Timber, 238

Dwarves have been happier overall lately. Even Zaodai has come to terms with his incarceration.

New floor of barracks is being placed. More blocks needed.

25th Timber, 238

As a gesture of friendship I have given OhCrap, her husband MinorRed and her dog Ezum their own tomb off of OhCrap's office.

I have also completed the general tombs and all dead are buried except for Ajaxify as her body is outside with the goblins.

28th Timber, 238

Leperfish has helpfully informed me that I made mistake when I expanded the dining hall. I will fix that.

Zapdos fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 31, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Wow, a siege already? It's a bit early I think, but then there's a lot of dwarves too. It's good there's not many of those goblins, but I still think it was the correct choice to stay indoors. Engaging the invaders with a small military with even less equipment would be folly. Too bad just that we can't trade. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm liking Zapdos's style, but isn't OhCrap a lady-dwarf?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe, but never since the dawn of dwarfkind has anyone been willing to lift a dwarf's leg to check.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

26th Timber, 238

Well. A whole month and not so much as a word from the Overseer about the concert hall. Meanwhile we're locked in while a group of goblins lays siege to our fortress. We're perfectly safe, and well enough supplied, but what's the use in sturdy fortifications and full bellies when our citizens' souls go hungry, deprived of the finer examples of our culture? I've had enough; I have decided that I will breathe music into this fortress, concert hall or no.

And so yesterday I took my violoncello and set up in a corner of the dining hall. The piece I performed was one I have always loved; a song by Thomas Twinsounds, recounting the legend of a dwarf who fell in love with a maiden simply by seeing an engraving of her. And though mine was a solo rendition, as I played I could almost hear the spirits of our forefathers joining in, filling out my sound and giving voice to those cherished words:

Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to?

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

:downs: Fixed!
I will be remembered not for my few accomplishments as overseer but my inability to find out what genders dwarves are.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why are you using timg tags for all the images? It makes them a pain in the rear end to read through.

Herr Zwiebel
Apr 25, 2009

Worry Not,
Wonder Not.
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Why are you using timg tags for all the images? It makes them a pain in the rear end to read through.
No, it makes it easier if you have a monitor smaller than the image x rez and just want to scroll down through the page. Please keep using timg.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Herr Zwiebel posted:

No, it makes it easier if you have a monitor smaller than the image x rez and just want to scroll down through the page. Please keep using timg.

It doesn't make that judgement very well though. None of the images in the last update would have caused problems on my crappy work monitor and they all got shrunk down to thumbnail size so I have to click them.

It's not that hard to use good judgement when applying the timg tag instead of just slapping it on everything.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Apparently The Human and Goblin civilizations waged a war just ten years ago. There was only one battle but it was bloody.

Both civs lost about 10% of the population in one battle.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
To add my 2 cents to the whole image size thing, I think the absolute greatest choice would be to have cropped, full-zoom images. They're clear, easy to read, don't stretch resolutions, and you can focus our attention. I'm a DF vet, but I go cross-eyed when someone posts a full-sized screenshot of a specific scene; I might as well be playing Where's Waldo.

To make such shots, I cannot recommend Snagit enough. At full disclosure we have a corporate license with them at my work, and it does cost money, but the free trial would cover a full turn without problem

The main benefit, aside from being able to take screenshots of portions of your screen, is it keeps all the images in a nice history gallery that you can annotate and then save all at once.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SirPenguin posted:

To add my 2 cents to the whole image size thing, I think the absolute greatest choice would be to have cropped, full-zoom images. They're clear, easy to read, don't stretch resolutions, and you can focus our attention. I'm a DF vet, but I go cross-eyed when someone posts a full-sized screenshot of a specific scene; I might as well be playing Where's Waldo.

To make such shots, I cannot recommend Snagit enough. At full disclosure we have a corporate license with them at my work, and it does cost money, but the free trial would cover a full turn without problem

The main benefit, aside from being able to take screenshots of portions of your screen, is it keeps all the images in a nice history gallery that you can annotate and then save all at once.
Or you just use IrfanView like everyone recommends and not pay for software.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I suppose you could! You could even use Win7's Snipping Tool if you were feeling jaunty enough. Whatever poison you pick, I'd love if more overseers did the whole cropping thing.

Does anyone else just skip over TIMGs entirely when there's a post full of them? Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Loden Taylor posted:

Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to?

Man, this really deserves some dwarfy lyrics. It's great.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SirPenguin posted:

Does anyone else just skip over TIMGs entirely when there's a post full of them? Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Nah, I do the same. Wait, I'm a weirdo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

TildeATH posted:

Nah, I do the same. Wait, I'm a weirdo, too.

I skip over most updates and lurk the thread to make snarky comments

• Locked thread