Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

RC and Moon Pie posted:

On the other hand, I thought the exposition was the best part of the book.

It probably plays a bit into my history/stats geekdom, as I loved the bits of history (such as the Kitchener Ironworks explosion) in It and on one of my rereads of The Long Walk, I kept up with Walker numbers and the order of death.

Me too. I honestly thought the best part of the Stand was the first half. Basically from the introductions to them meeting everyone on the road. Once they got to Nebraska and met the old woman I started to care a lot less, and I thought the ending was mostly slog, outside the series of events around Harold setting the bomb and the immediate aftermath. Best part of the whole book was the Lincoln Tunnel.

But the "Derry Interludes" were easily a high point for me in It. They felt like little contained short stories while they world built. In fact, I think one of the reasons It works so well is the entire book is kind of a series of short stories within an interesting frame. Most of the book is basically each kid's interaction with It, framed by the adults reminiscing and some other elements to tie it together. Every chapter felt like it's own fairly contained tale, telling it's own saga while simultaneously serving the major plot. The book sort of loses that by the end but at that point things get weird and you are already too invested to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

The book sort of loses that by the end but at that point things get weird and you are already too invested to care.

What exactly gets weird about it? :allears:

It's been a while since The Scene was mentioned

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pheeets posted:

I would love that. I've been hearing rumors that he's ready to retire though

That's been floating around ever since he got run over. He might slow down, but he's probably going to keep writing until he drops dead over a manuscript.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I ended up re-reading Duma Key while on vacation last week. I forgot how much I seemed to fall into the book, and how much I enjoyed the whole story. I think Wireman may be my favorite character.

Definitely the best King I've read in a really long while.

I still have not managed to slog through 11/22/63 yet. I keep picking it up, but can't get into it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hated the Derry interludes in "It" when I was a lot younger, like 15 or so, but now I will often just read those parts and put the book down.

The Stand is a love/hate thing for me because I absolutely LOVE reading about the random people and their fates after the plague, the army trying to contain the plague, the Lincoln Tunnel, everything about Flagg, the parts set in Vegas, everytime Harold gets a scene, everything about Trashy and the Kid.

I really dislike Franny and Stu, Mother Abigail, basically everything once the sides are set between Boulder and Vegas. They just seem preachy and timid and I really never found myself empathizing with any of the good guys. They bored the poo poo out of me. It was like all they did was keep me from reading about the infinitely more interesting characters.

I cannot overstate how much I dislike Franny.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I love Harold because he's up there with Ignatius J. Reilly when it comes to characters that are eerily prescient of how the dregs of the internet would be like in the future. I could totally see Harold angrily writing on Reddit about how he's being friendzoned.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finished Misery. I said in my previous post that most of the novel wasn't very exciting, but I think it really stepped it up in the final fifty pages. The climax and denouement were excellent, especially surprising for a King book.

Anyway, going to take a break from King after reading 5 novels and one short story collection in the past half a year. Outside of IT, there aren't many of his great works that I haven't read. I'll probably finally get to IT before the end of the year, though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ridonkulous posted:

There is also supposed to be a third book eventually. Hopefully just as "connected" as the first two where (read:barely).

Since Speedy Jack is ostensibly stuck in the Territories it would be a pretty interesting how the story plays out. I just hope he hangs out with more Wolves. Sunny Gardener's Twinner is still alive too (I think, dont quote me on that), maybe he would be the antagonist. Jack could finally get some just ice for poor ol' Wolf :(

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I just finished Under the Dome, I highly enjoyed it even though it was pretty black and white as far as the good guys versus the bad guys.

Any word on when the TV series is going to come out?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

oldpainless posted:

I hated the Derry interludes in "It" when I was a lot younger, like 15 or so, but now I will often just read those parts and put the book down.

The Stand is a love/hate thing for me because I absolutely LOVE reading about the random people and their fates after the plague, the army trying to contain the plague, the Lincoln Tunnel, everything about Flagg, the parts set in Vegas, everytime Harold gets a scene, everything about Trashy and the Kid.

I really dislike Franny and Stu, Mother Abigail, basically everything once the sides are set between Boulder and Vegas. They just seem preachy and timid and I really never found myself empathizing with any of the good guys. They bored the poo poo out of me. It was like all they did was keep me from reading about the infinitely more interesting characters.

I cannot overstate how much I dislike Franny.

I agree with you for the most part. Although I really liked Stu until he met up with Franny and Harold. His time in the medical facility and meeting Glen was good stuff. I also really liked Larry until he met Nadine (I hated Nadine, though her final act was cool). Basically I loved reading about poo poo going down, but once they all started teaming up it got really dull for me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Farbtoner posted:

I love Harold because he's up there with Ignatius J. Reilly when it comes to characters that are eerily prescient of how the dregs of the internet would be like in the future. I could totally see Harold angrily writing on Reddit about how he's being friendzoned.

I really liked the part when Harold realises that he's being a complete tool, and he could just accept things the way they were, be happy with his life, and move on.

Instead, he decides not to.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Recommendation question: Is it worth it for me to keep trying to get into On Writing? I've heard it lauded as one of the best books ever written about writing, and I have a deep fascination with how stories are formed, but every time I try to dig into the 15-page kindle sample, I'm rolling my eyes at his repeated forewords and meandering, egotistical narrative of seemingly pointless details of his own childhood.

Does this thing eventually get going and keep going strong, or do I just hate reading Stephen King writing about Stephen King?

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

ProfessorProf posted:

Recommendation question: Is it worth it for me to keep trying to get into On Writing? I've heard it lauded as one of the best books ever written about writing, and I have a deep fascination with how stories are formed, but every time I try to dig into the 15-page kindle sample, I'm rolling my eyes at his repeated forewords and meandering, egotistical narrative of seemingly pointless details of his own childhood.

Does this thing eventually get going and keep going strong, or do I just hate reading Stephen King writing about Stephen King?

As a somewhat practicing writer, I thought it was a great resource (particularly, his endorsement of "Bird by Bird", which helped get me out of a rut). That said, the entire book is a character study of his relationships with his mother, his wife, and alcohol and concludes with a look at the car accident that destroyed his leg. I may be remembering the order wrong. Along the way, he gives some good writing advice.

So, if you can't bear all of that, then I wouldn't recommend reading it. I read it ten years ago and thought it was invaluable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ProfessorProf posted:

It's mostly an autobiography.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Gray Ghost posted:

As a somewhat practicing writer, I thought it was a great resource (particularly, his endorsement of "Bird by Bird", which helped get me out of a rut). That said, the entire book is a character study of his relationships with his mother, his wife, and alcohol and concludes with a look at the car accident that destroyed his leg. I may be remembering the order wrong. Along the way, he gives some good writing advice.

So, if you can't bear all of that, then I wouldn't recommend reading it. I read it ten years ago and thought it was invaluable.

Got it, looks like I'll be skipping that one after all. Back to his fiction I go!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ProfessorProf posted:

Got it, looks like I'll be skipping that one after all. Back to his fiction I go!

It isn't quite as bad as Gray Ghost made it sound. If you really do care about how stories are formed (and not the just the mechanics of writing), it's worth reading.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

It's mostly an autobiography.

And telling you to use adverbs sparingly.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
For what it's worth:

The first 103 pages out of the 185-page book are autobiographical. Those pages follow his early development as a writer, including his first published book, Carrie. I found that first section to be well-written and enjoyable, and it gives some insight into why he writes what he does.

The other 180 or so pages (except for 23 pages about his accident) are about writing, and I found that part to be among the best and most helpful books on writing out there.

I thought it was worth buying and now it's worth keeping on my bookshelf.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

And telling you to use adverbs sparingly.

Yeah, that too. So I thought it was amusing that in The Stand he says one of his characters "cocked his arm cockily" out the driver's side window.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

crankdatbatman posted:

Finished Misery. I said in my previous post that most of the novel wasn't very exciting, but I think it really stepped it up in the final fifty pages. The climax and denouement were excellent, especially surprising for a King book.

Anyway, going to take a break from King after reading 5 novels and one short story collection in the past half a year. Outside of IT, there aren't many of his great works that I haven't read. I'll probably finally get to IT before the end of the year, though.

Yeah...well, looks like this guy found a copy of Pet Sematary tonight, so he's going to be starting that as soon as possible.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm about halfway through Heart-Shaped Box, so far I love it because you can tell that Joe is his father's son when it comes to writing but he seems to be avoiding a lot of his father's hang-ups: he hits the ground running (the ghost shows up in less than 20 pages and then he weaves the exposition in and out instead of having 200 pages of people farting around before anything actually happens) and when people have sex he fades to black instead of throwing out some TMI first.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I thought Heart Shaped Box was a little boring and silly, and Hill put a lot of effort in to trying to show how :black101: cool the main character was.
On the other hand, his latest book Horns was really good. If you like Heart Shaped Box, definitely give Horns a read as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just read the Shining, I found it every bit as nervewracking and unsettling as Salem's Lot, and I didn't want to go to sleep last night.

Good book, in other words.

Even if I was kind of left wondering two things - 1 where does the fuel for the boiler come from, is it coal? It was unclear...
2 - Phones are out, OK, what about power? Does the hotel have generators? Is it power lines? Logically, the powerlines would be overhead, right?

Ah I'm probably overthinking.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Two Finger posted:

I just read the Shining, I found it every bit as nervewracking and unsettling as Salem's Lot, and I didn't want to go to sleep last night.

Good book, in other words.

Even if I was kind of left wondering two things - 1 where does the fuel for the boiler come from, is it coal? It was unclear...
2 - Phones are out, OK, what about power? Does the hotel have generators? Is it power lines? Logically, the powerlines would be overhead, right?

Ah I'm probably overthinking.

Yeah, you're probably overthinking. That said, my dad used to manage a ski lodge, and while it wasn't hotel sized, it was still a large commercial building on a snowy mountain.

Yes, it had a generator for when things got lovely (which was actually pretty rare). The generator ran on the same poo poo the boiler did, which was a huge underground tank of fuel oil that only needed filling every few years.

The power lines to the whole resort ran up the mountain on big metal frame towers separate from the phone lines, but within the resort it was buried power lines, because apparently regular overhead lines get lovely in the snow. The phones going out wasn't uncommon, but power outages were pretty rare.

But yeah, fiction.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, you're probably overthinking. That said, my dad used to manage a ski lodge, and while it wasn't hotel sized, it was still a large commercial building on a snowy mountain.

Yes, it had a generator for when things got lovely (which was actually pretty rare). The generator ran on the same poo poo the boiler did, which was a huge underground tank of fuel oil that only needed filling every few years.

The power lines to the whole resort ran up the mountain on big metal frame towers separate from the phone lines, but within the resort it was buried power lines, because apparently regular overhead lines get lovely in the snow. The phones going out wasn't uncommon, but power outages were pretty rare.

But yeah, fiction.

I kind of can't help it when it comes to this kind of thing, because boilers are a big part of my job :/

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Haha no worries mate, I do historical fencing (court sword, small sword, longsword, a couple of other more fun things) and I have the same problem with sword fights in books and movies. Part of my brain goes "It's fiction! Get over it! :argh:" and another part goes "Haha, suuuuuuuure that works! :rolleyes:".

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farbtoner posted:

I'm about halfway through Heart-Shaped Box, so far I love it because you can tell that Joe is his father's son when it comes to writing but he seems to be avoiding a lot of his father's hang-ups: he hits the ground running (the ghost shows up in less than 20 pages and then he weaves the exposition in and out instead of having 200 pages of people farting around before anything actually happens) and when people have sex he fades to black instead of throwing out some TMI first.

The second you finish Hear Shaped Box, pick up Horns. I loved every single page of that book.

I've been rereading all of the gunslinger books, and I'm about halfway through Wizard&Glass. Somehow, I forgot Rhea masturbates with a snake.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The second you finish Hear Shaped Box, pick up Horns. I loved every single page of that book.
Contrary to the opinions in this thread, I LOVED Heat Shaped Box and really enjoyed Horns up until the last 1/3rd of the book. It was nothing in particular related to the plot or anything, it just felt like it started to drag a little and got somewhat stale. Still a good read, nonetheless.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've been rereading all of the gunslinger books, and I'm about halfway through Wizard&Glass. Somehow, I forgot Rhea masturbates with a snake.

Words can not express how much I hate every second of that flashback that isn't the showdown in the tavern or the one with the thinny. Goddamn I hate that book so much.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

King loved that teenage romance even more than the unbearable town in 11/22/63.

It's good if you skip 50 pages here and there.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

iostream.h posted:

Contrary to the opinions in this thread, I LOVED Heat Shaped Box and really enjoyed Horns up until the last 1/3rd of the book. It was nothing in particular related to the plot or anything, it just felt like it started to drag a little and got somewhat stale. Still a good read, nonetheless.

I loved Heart Shaped Box too, im just a giant sucker for a Devil story. Plus, Ig was an awesome main character. I feel like I'm in the minority because I loved Wizard&Glass, its one of my favorites. Have people in here been reading Locke and Key?

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 1, 2012

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I've been trying to clear out my "to read" stack before I buy even more books, but at the hospice thrift store the other day, I found three SK books I hadn't read before: Needful Things, The Talisman, and Gerald's Game. So guess which book I bought.

Guess which book I bought and read

it has to get better at some point it just has to

from cover to cover.

Gerald's Game has a single good section, comprised of chapters thirty and thirty-one, in which the heroine escapes from her handcuffs with the aid of aself-inflicted degloving injury. Those fifteen pages draw from the same well as "Survivor Type" and that one scene from Misery. The result is fantastic, harrowing and cringe-inducing in all of the right ways. Unfortunately, the other ninety-five percent of the book is harrowing and cringe-inducing in all of the wrong ways.

I initially wanted to read GG because I'd read Dolores Claiborne and... "enjoyed" seems like the wrong word, but I appreciated it. Hard, grey, perpetually middle-aged Dolores was a welcome change from most of SK's other female viewpoint characters, and though I think there were some missteps here and there, her portrayal overall seemed believable and sympathetic. By contrast, Jessie Burlingame never seems like anything other than dear old Uncle Steve-O wearing a blond wig and a pair of falsies-- big, touchable, blood-smeared falsies that get mentioned more and more often as the prose drags on.

At that stage in his career, c. 1991, I think that writing from a female perspective was still very much a novelty for King; I can only hope he's gotten better at it over the last twenty years. It's like he had to pause every few paragraphs to remind everyone (including himself) that Jessie is a woman, and he never really succeeds in convincing himself. Toward the end of the book, there's a bit where Jessie is writing to her old friend Ruth about all the unfairness and misogyny she had to face before, during and after the main events of the novel; this drags on for a bit, and then she finishes by saying "this is not the time to discuss women's issues. This is the time to talk about [man who had almost nothing to do with Jessie's story]." And then "she" writes thirty pages about him.

Then, of course, there's the sex. In brief: Jessie's father molested her when she was ten years old, almost thirty years ago. She alternates between blaming herself for the molestation and denying that it ever happened; during her time spent handcuffed to her late husband's bed, she confronts the event and its continuing impact on her life for the first time. This is the central theme of the book*, and it has good potential, as long as it's handled knowledgeably and sensitively. It isn't. In the first half of the book, King hints at the molestation of Jessie so frequently and blatantly, that anyone can figure out exactly what happened based on those hints alone; then he goes ahead and describes the scene in detail anyway. It's a bit like that thing where he writes "X never saw Y alive again" twenty pages before Y's gruesome death, but with more incest.

Oh, and Jessie eventually decides that, since it wasn't penetrative sex and it only happened once, getting molested by her father wasn't actually the worst thing that could have happened to her.** I have not been so angry at a book since Memoirs of a Geisha.

If you're really curious about Gerald's Game, I suggest the following reading strategy:
  • Lightly skim the first 1/3 (up through Chapter 14).
  • Ignore the middle 1/3 completely.
  • The book ends with Chapter 31.
  • Come to think of it, just read Cujo instead.
Gonna go re-read Misery now as a palate cleanser. Cheers.

* ... until it's suddenly about a deformed serial killer on the loose. "Space cowboy," a.k.a. "Rudolph," a.k.a. Raymond Andrew Joubert doesn't appear completely out of nowhere, as some in this thread have suggested; but there is so little overlap between his story and Jessie's that they may as well have been separate books.

** Someone suggested, some months and many pages ago, that the reason SK keeps writing about child abuse is that he himself was abused as a child. If that's the case, then why do his depictions of sexual abuse always ring false? Statistically speaking, he probably grew up knowing a few kids who were abused, and he may have met some truly creepy adults in his time; but if his firsthand knowledge of abuse goes beyond that, then his apparent naivete on the subject is stunning.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So why did you get angry at Memoirs of a Geisha?

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

RoeCocoa posted:

If that's the case, then why do his depictions of sexual abuse always ring false?

He's also probably spoken to a black person, spoken to a child, had sex with a lady and taken public transport, but he sure as poo poo can't write any of them with any veracity either.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

jfjnpxmy posted:

He's also probably spoken to a black person, spoken to a child, had sex with a lady and taken public transport, but he sure as poo poo can't write any of them with any veracity either.

What loving parts are there to "taking public transport" that an author could get wrong?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

jfjnpxmy posted:

But Stephen King has never been a black person or a lady (or a black lady in a wheelchair), and it's been so long since he's been a child or needed to ride public transportation, he's probably forgotten what that's like. He could make up for this deficiency of knowledge by doing research (e.g. talking to many black persons and children and ladies), but that would take time, and he prioritizes volume over accuracy in his writing.

Vorgen posted:

So why did you get angry at Memoirs of a Geisha?

Same basic reason-- Arthur Golden tries to write from a woman's perspective, and even though we spend almost the entire novel inside her head, she comes across more like a fetish object than an actual person. Not just in the sense that geisha are fetishized in Western culture and their own, but in the sense that the viewpoint character never makes one decision or has a single thought that doesn't revolve around a man. I don't have the book anymore, or I'd cite some examples. It's one of the very few books that I actively regret reading.

edit: The difference is that I've enjoyed many books by Stephen King, but hated the only Arthur Golden book I ever read.

RoeCocoa fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

RoeCocoa posted:

But Stephen King has never been a black person or a lady (or a black lady in a wheelchair), and it's been so long since he's been a child or needed to ride public transportation, he's probably forgotten what that's like. He could make up for this deficiency of knowledge by doing research (e.g. talking to many black persons and children and ladies), but that would take time, and he prioritizes volume over accuracy in his writing.

The main reason I don't want to re-read the Dark Tower series is that I can't stand the way he makes Odetta/Susannah sound. Like "Sho!" for "sure", and many other sterotypical locutions. I felt she was a sympathetic character, but I hated the way she spoke. It's like King read Uncle Tom's Cabin once and called it good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pheeets posted:

The main reason I don't want to re-read the Dark Tower series is that I can't stand the way he makes Odetta/Susannah sound. Like "Sho!" for "sure", and many other sterotypical locutions. I felt she was a sympathetic character, but I hated the way she spoke. It's like King read Uncle Tom's Cabin once and called it good.

Detta was supposed to be a caricature of a deep south negro. And even after the two personalities merged to make Susannah, Detta was still there, fo sho.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Detta was supposed to be a caricature of a deep south negro. And even after the two personalities merged to make Susannah, Detta was still there, fo sho.

Don't defend him you honkey muhfa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jealous Cow posted:

Don't defend him you honkey muhfa.

In general, I'm not. He gets it wrong more often than he gets it right. See Speedy Parker in The Talisman and pretty much every black person with a bit part.

But in Detta's case, it's deliberate.