Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Turk February posted:

I'd also like to recommend for those of you who enjoy dirty black/death metal to check out Antediluvian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1y9x_qn-w

Is there anything else of theirs where the production isn't muddy beyond recognition, or is that their thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
That's how they roll. Their split with Adversarial is pretty sweet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Pig Destroyer's facebook page was updated with this today.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wartooth posted:

One of my favourite thrash bands, Coroner, just happens to play at Jalometalli metal festival all the way up here in northern Finland next Friday. I was going there anyway but drat, what a coincidence. It seems they reunited just last year after a 15 year break too. Then again, the festival had Carcass in 2010, who I never thought I'd see live. They also have Vader, Iced Earth, and a lot of bands that I've never heard about but sound pretty cool.

For instance, how well known is Gorguts? I feel like I've heard the name before but I haven't heard the band. Same thing with Municipal Waste.

Also, this band is also playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5av2oGfw34g. It's a fairly old Finnish thrash metal band called A.O.D. Definitely looking forward to seeing them as well.

Gorguts are one of the best death metal bands of all time. As far as their musical output is concerned they're better than anyone else on the bill. And I just saw them live on the Death to All tour and they were pretty loving tight.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Everyone who likes prog or avant-garde metal should be familiar with Alchemist. They were one of my favorite bands for a long time, particularly with their albums "Organasm" and "Austriel Alien". They are broken up now, but they still rule and should not be forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmSvgndz_DQ

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Wow I haven't listened to Alchemist in a long time. Forgot all about them. If I can manage to pull myself away from the new Grave I'm gonna fire up Austral Alien today at work

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Happy Hippo posted:

Pig Destroyer's facebook page was updated with this today.

loving finally. Just hope the new drummer can live up to the band's standard

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I'm sure this won't be new to most, but I was just turned on to Dew Scented. Death-y German thrash metal with harsh vocals, it's like a dream :allears:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
And to get away from dew scented here's a track from Ripping Corpse's unreleased album :madmax:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This weekend is Bloodstock, and we are interviewing some bands that I know you people enjoy, so if you have any questions for Watain, Orange Goblin, Nile, Benediction, Grand Magus, Dimmu Borgir, and Iced Earth, then please feel free to post 'em!

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Gorguts is really well known, and they played well the last two times I saw them, but....nowadays I really only listen to their first album, and they only played one song off that, so I wasn't all that into it. I can listen to Considered Dead all the time though, rest of their stuff kinda bores me nowadays.

Ripping Corpse on the other hand!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
US Vektor Tour Dates Announced

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

My bands opening for Vektor in Chicago :-D (Also snagged opening spot on Skeletonwitch in November, our first two shows opening for touring acts)

Been listening to this album a ton recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU21diFyd0

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Turk February posted:

Everyone who likes prog or avant-garde metal should be familiar with Alchemist. They were one of my favorite bands for a long time, particularly with their albums "Organasm" and "Austriel Alien". They are broken up now, but they still rule and should not be forgotten.

Current and former members of both Alchemist and Alarum are in this band, The Levitation Hex. Sounds like a combination of both of them

http://soundcloud.com/levitationhex

So good. The s/t has recently come out and it's a real grower, but has some immediate standouts.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Faceless is out and about . . . honestly I was hoping for something as straightforward as Planetary Duality but this one trends a bit toward prog and maybe a tiny bit of symphonic stuff? Not really sure what to call it. Anyway the technical stuff is still really cool, it's just not what I was expecting

edit: okay yeah there's organ and sax on track 3. :wtf:

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 10, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Turk February posted:

This is right up my alley, I had no idea this band existed till now. Lyrical themes on evolution? gently caress yes.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Turk February posted:

While it might sound like it might be lame as poo poo, Alchemist's cover of Jeff Wayne's 'Eve of the War' is an incredible song, and people would tear the place up whenever they played it live.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm sure this won't be new to most, but I was just turned on to Dew Scented. Death-y German thrash metal with harsh vocals, it's like a dream :allears:
I'm not sure what happened, but from the member list on Wikipedia, it looks like the band broke up this year, but the singer decided to keep things going with a completely new lineup. Somehow it didn't change their sound too much, but the songwriting on this one doesn't seem to be quite as strong as on Impact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl-OiORrDaU

They're a band like Amon Amarth or Bolt Thrower: every album pretty much sounds the same (at least since 2000 or so), and you know in advance what you're going to get.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 10, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

It's boring and completely forgettable. I'd rather listen to some old Kreator.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Yeah I don't mind these one-trick ponies so much, for exactly that reason: consistency. Are there bands that do it better? Sure. Worse? Sure. Listening over these guys' catalog more, I'll certainly agree that I should brush up on my thrash.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I was in the same boat after hearing so many people talk about Dew-Scented and basically ignoring them (mostly due to the dumb name). I gave them a solid chance on a long road trip (my favorite place and time to give a new album a full listen) and was left pretty bored and unimpressed.

In Mourning's new album "The Weight of Oceans" though - loving solid. Also Uneven Structure's "Februus" is a great listen (perfectly done mix of ambient, drone, and (I hate the following word) djent.)

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'm currently on a tremendous Swedish Death Metal kick. Grave, Degial and Necrovation

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
You listening to Endless Procession of Souls? I'm starting to think I'm the only one impressed by it

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
YES!!! I think it's the best stuff they've done since Into the Grave.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm currently on a tremendous Swedish Death Metal kick. Grave, Degial and Necrovation

here, have some Whore, Morbus Chron, Vanhelgd, and some Fester.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Wyzt posted:

My bands opening for Vektor in Chicago :-D (Also snagged opening spot on Skeletonwitch in November, our first two shows opening for touring acts)

Been listening to this album a ton recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU21diFyd0

Who is your band? Been sorta curious about the Chicago metal scene, want to start going to a show here and there.

Morbid Florist posted:

You listening to Endless Procession of Souls? I'm starting to think I'm the only one impressed by it

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, it's the perfect kind of thrashy death I really love.

Also, wanted to mention with respect to the Blind Guardian love: If you like both metal AND video games (a stretch, I know), check out Sacred 2.

It's a Diabloesque action-rpg featuring a quest where you save the members of Blind Guardian and are evntually rewarded with a guitar shaped axe. You also get to see them play a concert in-game, which is pretty hilariously awesome.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 10, 2012

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

TheQat posted:

loving finally. Just hope the new drummer can live up to the band's standard

Some in studio footage, sounds like the new guy is gonna kill it.
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/db-exclusive-studio-footage-from-upcoming-pig-destroyer-album-book-burner/
Beyond psyched for the new album.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
It's funny seeing how big Vektor has gotten. The guitarist was a goofy friendly kid that used to post stellar threads like "Gay Chicken: How far have you gone" and "Dragon Ball Z Appreciation" on another forum.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Who is your band? Been sorta curious about the Chicago metal scene, want to start going to a show here and there.

My band is called Nucleus, I posted a song a few pages back I think. There are tonnnns of shows in Chicago, if you ever wanna meet up at a show lemme know on hurr https://www.facebook.com/SloughFeg

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

TheQat posted:

New Faceless is out and about . . . honestly I was hoping for something as straightforward as Planetary Duality but this one trends a bit toward prog and maybe a tiny bit of symphonic stuff? Not really sure what to call it. Anyway the technical stuff is still really cool, it's just not what I was expecting

Hymn of Sanity is pretty much PD summed up in one short song. It's good they went in a different direction though, I've listened to Planetary Duality about a gazillion times so I'm glad they kept it fresh.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

So these two ladies opened for Agalloch in LA last night and they were loving incredible. Probably not everyone here's cup of tea, but if you like stoner doom / drone sorta stuff and Eastern scales, give em a shot.

http://taurusisdust.bandcamp.com/

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Objurium posted:

So these two ladies opened for Agalloch in LA last night and they were loving incredible. Probably not everyone here's cup of tea, but if you like stoner doom / drone sorta stuff and Eastern scales, give em a shot.

http://taurusisdust.bandcamp.com/

I thought they were loving horrible

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Por que? I realize they're a bit challenging to get into and I was pretty well blazed and drunk, but they had a real cool vibe going.

e: one of the better shots I got from Agalloch's set:

Objurium fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 11, 2012

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Yeah I found Taurus to be pretentious as hell and completely uninteresting. Take away their LOL SO WEIRD projector videos and samples and you're left with astoundingly basic drone-doom. I hoped they would sound more like Dark Castle but I was disappointed, and so was the rest of the crowd from the look of things.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Scrambles posted:

Yeah I found Taurus to be pretentious as hell and completely uninteresting. Take away their LOL SO WEIRD projector videos and samples and you're left with astoundingly basic drone-doom. I hoped they would sound more like Dark Castle but I was disappointed, and so was the rest of the crowd from the look of things.

/shrug, different strokes, different folks, etc. I found a lot of their riffs sounded like even slower Dark Castle riffs, which was cool. They aren't attempting anything groundbreaking by any means, but I don't think judging them aside from their visual element is wholly fair, as it's totally part of their shtick. Trying to craft an atmosphere to get lost in. The edible that I'd eaten kicked in right about when Taurus went on, so I probably had less barriers in the way :)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TheQat posted:

edit: okay yeah there's organ and sax on track 3. :wtf:

Not even remotely what I expected, but unless Between the Buried and Me manages to turn up with the best album ever made in October I think this is going to be my pick for best album of 2012. As much of a complete change of direction as it is from Akeldama and Planetary Duality, I haven't been as amazed overall by an album in a long, long time.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
The Faroe Islands had their first ever entry in the Wacken Metal Battle this year; a doom outfit by the name of Hamferd. Even better, they won that poo poo. Like the reviewer said, it's tough to categorize them and group them with other bands.

Two songs on this here page.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
http://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/

Holy hell, this is the best Melodeath album I've heard in YEARS. The UK is putting out some fine music lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Same. I want my 40min of Taurus' set back. Agalloch was good as always, though.