Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

LordPants posted:

I haven't seen the DVD, what specifically are you referring too? The Observer had like a 5 page run-down on how shallow that documentary was and how much it skipped over.

Which issue?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Arbite posted:

Which issue?
Late August/Early September 2009

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Late August/Early September 2009

Here's the link if you can't find it. (The Observer archive is horribly organized)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
These may be funnier because it is 4:30 AM, but new back issue quotes from the Observer!

From 6/5/96

quote:

Much of the 5/27 WCW Saturday Night show was live from Speed Street in Charlotte with Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes. They also went to matches at Center Stage which they pretended were live but were actually taped weeks ago. The only two glitches were that Col. Parker was with Steve Austin at Center Stage and with Meng in Charlotte on the same show and that Doug Dillenger was visible all over the Charlotte show in the background and also was involved in breaking up Flair and Savage after the Alex Wright match in Atlanta.

quote:

After a good performance on PPV, Bischoff was really annoying in commentary on this show. Both on this show, and on a later Hotline live interview segment, Bischoff was continually critical of UFC to the point he came off like a child trying to insist that his dad could beat up someone elses dad and nobody would believe him.

quote:

Bischoff, who celebrated his 40th birthday that day, did totally discredit stories of Brad Armstrong returning as Captain Planet saying that would never happen and that Armstrong was fired for a company policy violation (the Armstrong match that aired that morning on Pro was taped before his firing).

quote:

Randy Savage was the main guest at a Celebrity Sports Club get-together in Aurora, IL on 5/17. He was billed as a "World Wrestling Federation superstar" in both the program and the area newspaper post-banquet article. The program claimed Savage started pro wrestling in 1985 which is only about ten years off. Savage said his three favorite wrestlers were himself, his dad and Dick the Bruiser.

quote:

WCW lost all its television in Toronto.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I would have loved to have seen Brad Armstrong as a Captain Planet knockoff :sigh:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Toffile posted:

I would have loved to have seen Brad Armstrong as a Captain Planet knockoff :sigh:
Only if he's like the version that was on Robot Chicken where Ted Turner dressed as him, ran around yelling "CAPTAIN PLANEEEEEEEET!" and violently attacked polluters as he said "Protect the environment OR I'LL F***ING KILL YOOOOUUUU!"

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Observer back issue quotes are the best.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

quote:

WCW lost all its television in Toronto.

First thing that came to my mind:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toffile posted:

Johnny Ace would have made a better Captain Planet.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

In RE: to the WWE Network stuff, Vince mentioned on a conference call today that a very in depth series is in the works to comprehensively cover the Monday Night Wars. (his quote was something like that).

I'd love to see that, even if it will surely be pro-WWE.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

In RE: to the WWE Network stuff, Vince mentioned on a conference call today that a very in depth series is in the works to comprehensively cover the Monday Night Wars. (his quote was something like that).

I hope it is like 30 for 30 on ESPN and we get documentaries on El Dandy and Silver King.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Frot Lesnar posted:

I hope it is like 30 for 30 on ESPN and we get documentaries on El Dandy and Silver King.

and Hector Garza tearing his scrotum in an air-conditioning-unit mishap

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Every episode is going to be Vince using digital enhancement to make random WCW talent join the kiss my rear end club.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
June 12th 1995 back issue is up!

quote:

Ted Turner met with Eric Bischoff on 6/5 in Atlanta. No word on anything that came out of the meeting.

Hmm... I wonder what they talked about!

quote:

Expect Hogan to appear on Jay Leno probably in early July to promote the record. WCW is going to heavily promote Hogan's record including doing a WCW Saturday Night show on 7/8 where most of the show will emanate from a Tampa night club where Hogan, Hart and the band will be doing a live performance of songs from the album such as that classic song that used to be Dave Sullivan's entrance music.

quote:

Little Richard is being negotiated with to appear on the Los Angeles PPV show. If so, expect him to be in Johnny B. Badd's corner in a match.

quote:

On television over the weekend, this week's minor faux pas was that during the open of the show and during his match with Dick Slater, Sting was wearing one type of make-up, but during the Flair-Savage brawl outside, which took place in between, his make-up was completely different showing the events were taped on different days. Actually compared to the usual snafus, that was really minor.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did that Hogan concert show actually happen??

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

Did that Hogan concert show actually happen??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXLVyLIYYg

Apparently not but I only skipped through and didn't see it.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Frot Lesnar posted:

I miss that dumb opening. Instead of showing some spots and finishers and Hogan tearing his shirt off and Macho pointing at the camera intensely, they trick you into thinking you're watching The Terminator or something.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Frot Lesnar posted:

drat, Regal was pretty chunky back then. I remembered him being in better shape, at least until the late 90s and his alcoholism took full control. Also, can you believe the Ultimate Warrior is coming back to wrestling?! Gonna have to call Mean Gene and check out the Slim Jim Bash at the Beach Control Center for more info ASAP.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

WWE.com uploaded a set of "wacky" WCW photos, and there's some absolute gems. The best part is the captions seem to have been written by a member of these forums.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/revenge-wcw-wackiest-photos

My personal favourite is "This is about the time Ric Flair went off the deep end."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"At first glance, it looks like Buff Bagwell, but at least The nWo official was in the ring during an actual main event."

Well played, WWE. Got a full "Pahahaha" out of me.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

WWE was sitting on a picture of Goldberg and Mel Gibson this whole time?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

Tank Abbott is about as photogenic as he was dominate in the ring.
Nice copy editing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Paul Heyman vs. Jim Cornette, the Internet would have broke back then"

Yeah, I think they got us.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Sean O'Haire reaches the pinnacle of the WCW Power Plant ... probably wasn't too hard."

Amazing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

An Actual Bear posted:

WWE.com uploaded a set of "wacky" WCW photos, and there's some absolute gems. The best part is the captions seem to have been written by a member of these forums.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/revenge-wcw-wackiest-photos

My personal favourite is "This is about the time Ric Flair went off the deep end."

There are more of these!

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/wackiest-wcw-photos

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Goldberg kissing a baby kangaroo. :stare:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorite had to be

"At first glance, it looks like Buff Bagwell, but at least The nWo official was in the ring during an actual main event."

It amuses me to no end that nobody likes Buff Bagwell.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

It amuses me to no end that nobody likes Buff Bagwell.

Mods?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
New back issue. Looks like that meeting with Turner led to some new show on Monday nights.

quote:

The idea for the show stemmed from the Bischoff/Turner meeting and was released to the WCW front office on 6/8 at an employees meeting headed by Harvey Schiller. Reports we received is that obviously the time slot is no coincidence and stemmed from Turner being personally miffed by the letters Vince McMahon was sending him earlier this year urging him to fold the company claiming the wrestling company was an embarrassment to Turner's name.

quote:

Schiller did almost a 180 degree about-face during the meeting from his introduction to the wrestling company. When Schiller was first named as President of WCW, replacing Bill Shaw, he said that companies that spend time worrying about their competition aren't spending enough time worrying about their own product. This was a counter to Bischoff, whom nearly everyone around him claims is obsessed with the idea of running McMahon out of business. At the meeting, Schiller supposedly talked of how important it is to put the World Wrestling Federation down and out and other company officials afterwards were saying this move amounts to the declaration of an all-out war.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A wrestling war on monday nights?

That'll never catch on. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In non-Nitro news, I was intrigued by the idea that Ron Reis had a brother who was even worse at wrestling than he was. At least I imagine he was since I don't think he even had a match?

quote:

The younger brother of Ron Reis, whose first name is either Jay or Dave and is 6-8, is at the WCW training school. The two are now being groomed to be a Giant tag team. According to a local coach (both are from San Jose), even though Ron (legit 7-2) was a better basketball player, the younger brother is the better all-around athlete of the two and on the surface would seem to have more potential in wrestling.

and the usual WCW shenanigans...

quote:

Since both Sting (U.S. title) and Renegade (WCW TV title) came out with their not-as-yet won title belts at a Center Stage taping on 6/7, that pretty well gave away title changes on the 6/18 Great American Bash PPV show from Dayton, OH. As of press time, approximately 3,000 tickets had been sold for the show in the 6,000-set Hara Arena.

There are some changes from the original line-up. The Dave Sullivan-Dallas Page match has been changed to an arm wrestling match with Page putting up a date with Diamond Doll and Sullivan putting up his pet rabbit Ralph (boy, they've sure given that rabbit time to get over) as a result of an incredibly lame television angle over the weekend. The Page vs. Sullivan wrestling match, no doubt stemming from an arm wrestling angle, was moved to the next PPV. Jim Duggan vs. Kamala, managed by Kevin Sullivan with his new name Taskmaster, was also moved to the next PPV. The Marcus Bagwell vs. Craig Pittman match is also in jeopardy as Bagwell has been on crutches this past week and nobody seems to know whether or not he'll be ready to wrestle. Last word at press time was that he would but if not, Jim Duggan would be the replacement. Supposedly one of Bagwell's calf implants (these aren't uncommon in bodybuilders because the calf muscles don't grow in comparison with other muscles with weight training and for those interested in competition, weak calves throw off symmetry) leaked and he had a painful lower leg infection. From interviews taped before a live audience for airing after the PPV, it appeared Sting will beat Meng, but not cleanly, leading to a rematch at the next PPV. In addition, a match with Road Warrior Hawk vs. Bunkhouse Buck has been added to the show.

Edit: I am an idiot and forgot to include the tidbit about Buff Bagwell's calf implants.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 15, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Austin is wrestling in Japan. I assume that that implies he'll hurt his arm soon unless he goes back later in the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Austin is wrestling in Japan. I assume that that implies he'll hurt his arm soon unless he goes back later in the year.

I was trying to pay attention to those stories and completely blanked on it as I was reading this week's issue. I also blanked on including an amazing part of the tapings report so I edited my previous post.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I busted out laughing when the second picture was just Jeff Jarrett existing, sans caption.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MassRayPer posted:

In non-Nitro news, I was intrigued by the idea that Ron Reis had a brother who was even worse at wrestling than he was. At least I imagine he was since I don't think he even had a match?
Impossible. No one is worse at wrestling than Ron Reis.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I really do love WWE bringing up the old archival shots, they're great. I'm glad they're getting some use out of them, we'd never see them otherwise.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I really do love WWE bringing up the old archival shots, they're great. I'm glad they're getting some use out of them, we'd never see them otherwise.

They should just release a DVD of CM Punk going through the WWE Prop warehouse, love to see what old stuff they are sitting on that we haven't seen in ages.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Astro7x posted:

They should just release a DVD of CM Punk going through the WWE Prop warehouse, love to see what old stuff they are sitting on that we haven't seen in ages.
I have this wrestling dream where the Gobbledy Gooker comes out of nowhere to beat up John Cena and oh, he's going for the Yes Lock.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I love that during mid-1995, when Raw was literally in high-school gyms being taped 3 weeks at a time, Vince still sent Turner letters about folding WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Astro7x posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be bonus footage on his new DVD?