Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

In somewhat related news... you'll be able to play PSOne games on your Vita on Aug 28th.

One of the starting PSOne classics featured? None other than Final Fantasy 7 :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Couldn't you just grab the one from an old PC disc?

(not that you'd need to buy this if you had one around)

I have the disks and in fact I have an old installation of FF7 on an old hard disk. The directory structure is new and most of their changes are hooked into the new .exe, so really there's no point. My understanding is that the .exe modifications will all generally still work as long as they have the proper offset. I expect the mod community will use this version, especially because it uses Direct3d/ogg/etc. directly.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Happy Blue Cow posted:

In somewhat related news... you'll be able to play PSOne games on your Vita on Aug 28th.

One of the starting PSOne classics featured? None other than Final Fantasy 7 :pwn:

Yeah but that one doesn't have the achievements!!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I like how completely ridiculous his stance looks when it's done by a more realistic looking model.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's just stretching his quads dude. Gotta stay limber.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So I'm a few battles into FFT on the PSP and this is my first time playing it. Am I supposed to be rehiring my party after almost every battle, or am I just really bad at this? Ramza and the story characters are pretty much the only ones who survive each battle, with the hired squires just acting as meat shields. I just finished the battle in the woods after ditching castle guard duty- am I setting myself up for failure in the late game, or is that how early battles tend to go? Any other tips are greatly appreciated, although I already read the before I play entry on it. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a good idea to pick a squad of five out of your team and use them exclusively. You'll want the ones with highest bravery for fighter jobs and the ones with highest Faith for mages. Also at that point you should have some other jobs than squire available - the standard characters don't benefit from it much beyond qualifying for other jobs and JP Boost. Change those guys and gals to Knights, Archers and Mages and get some better equipment. If you had a lot of units die on you you might have to take a break from the story and go grind some levels and job points for your newbies now.

Failure in the late game is almost impossible for the same reason you don't want to get too attached to your guys. Although, do make Ramza into a character who can fight some tough solo battles, or you'll kick yourself later on. Specifically, make sure he has a way to deal consistently high damage and restore his HP.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 16, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The most important thing in FFT is the, uh, whatever they called the time system in that game. AT?
It's been a while since I played so I might get the buttons wrong, but hit triangle and a menu pops up. Click AT to see the turn order, and plan your moves around who's going to go next. Even better is when you're on a skill menu, (i.e., your cursor is hovering over 'Potion' or 'Lit 2'), hit the right directional button to see the list and how long that particular skill will take to complete. You'll be able to tell if a nearby enemy knight can act before, say, your priest finishes casting life on someone, resulting in her almost certain death (characters who are charging take bonus damage). Then you can prioritize a better course of action that's less likely to get you killed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Make sure you learn JP + as a support skill early on before you graduate characters to newer classes. It's a pretty invaluable skill in the early game.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Oh and for God's sake, use two save files, and always keep one of them at a point where you're on the world map and can move around freely. There are some multi-stage 'castles' that can ruin your save files if you find you can't beat battle 2 or 3 in them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Since it sounds like you're still struggling along with the base classes, put Item secondary on pretty much everyone and use potions if you need to. You can buy a LOT of potions for the amount of money it takes to buy a new recruit, so don't let your guys die.

I know it's harsh, but you may even consider restarting since you're so early. Random battles scale to the level of the highest-level person on your team, which at this point is probably Ramza. Trying to train a bunch of level 1 recruits against a bunch of level 5 Chocobos can be a nightmare. Level disparity doesn't mean too much later on, but where you are it may be more trouble than it's worth to catch up. I'd probably do as people suggested- concentrate on Ramza and 4 generics with high Brave/Faith values, and don't let them die. Learn the potion and Phoenix Down skills as quickly as you can, and don't be afraid to use them. Avoid random battles for a while.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Since it sounds like you're still struggling along with the base classes, put Item secondary on pretty much everyone and use potions if you need to. You can buy a LOT of potions for the amount of money it takes to buy a new recruit, so don't let your guys die.

I know it's harsh, but you may even consider restarting since you're so early. Random battles scale to the level of the highest-level person on your team, which at this point is probably Ramza. Trying to train a bunch of level 1 recruits against a bunch of level 5 Chocobos can be a nightmare. Level disparity doesn't mean too much later on, but where you are it may be more trouble than it's worth to catch up. I'd probably do as people suggested- concentrate on Ramza and 4 generics with high Brave/Faith values, and don't let them die. Learn the potion and Phoenix Down skills as quickly as you can, and don't be afraid to use them. Avoid random battles for a while.
yeah I just beat chapter 1 yesterday for my new game. I was using around 20 potions a battle and 2-3 Phoenix downs. Everyone had items as a secondary even the guest. They keep you alive and quickly raise your jp. I used them almost anytime someone didn't have full health and I couldn't attack someone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing to do in FFT is to stick an AOE spell on one of my units and have him run into a crowd of enemies as a suicide bomber. Sometimes I even see the AI (which is surprisingly clever) do this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonaventure posted:

Oh and for God's sake, use two save files, and always keep one of them at a point where you're on the world map and can move around freely. There are some multi-stage 'castles' that can ruin your save files if you find you can't beat battle 2 or 3 in them.

Star Ocean 2 has a place with a save point that can become impossible to get out :smith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

Star Ocean 2 has a place with a save point that can become impossible to get out :smith:

It has, like, three of these. Two of them aren't even optional!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's a good idea to pick a squad of five out of your team and use them exclusively. You'll want the ones with highest bravery for fighter jobs and the ones with highest Faith for mages. Also at that point you should have some other jobs than squire available - the standard characters don't benefit from it much beyond qualifying for other jobs and JP Boost. Change those guys and gals to Knights, Archers and Mages and get some better equipment. If you had a lot of units die on you you might have to take a break from the story and go grind some levels and job points for your newbies now.

Failure in the late game is almost impossible for the same reason you don't want to get too attached to your guys. Although, do make Ramza into a character who can fight some tough solo battles, or you'll kick yourself later on. Specifically, make sure he has a way to deal consistently high damage and restore his HP.

Fluffy's guide to early FFT ease and xp/jp farming:
Get JP on Ramza until he can get Gained JP Up and Yell(optional but helps).
Once he has that, go straight for monk.
Have two chemists, make them go black mage and white mage. After they have the basic spells (bolt/fire/ice and cure/prot/shell/raise) you can swap their roles so they get both sets.
Have another character (or two) go knight.
Ramza as a Squire (if still getting Gained JP Up) can attack/item/wish the knights to help get JP in that class and move to monk faster.
As soon as Ramza gets to monk your goal is Chakra. Do not spend any JP until you have this. As soon as you have the JP for this you need to win the fight you're in and buy the skill.

With Chakra equipped, get in to fights on the plain by coming in from the north (the castle). This positions you in a flat area and on your first turn you cam move everyone on to a flat area, meaning all your 0 height stuff (namely protect/shell/chakra) will hit all 5 spots.
Position your characters as (roughly):

OXO
XXX
OXO

Ramza should be in the middle, your melee people would go on whichever ends will see the most attacks. It really doesn't matter though because that character's going to have shell and protect (and regen if you want) while getting Chakra'd every turn.

What you do at this point is up to you. Getting gained JP up for everyone else should be done, but having white magic on 1-2 characters and black magic on 1-2 means that when the monsters come near, especially goblins, you can nuke them until there's 1 left, wounded and running away.

You should grab Revive and other monk skills, also make your other melee guy(s) in to a monk and swap them in to the middle as needed. I usually have people just hit each other because :effort: and because you have chakra going, you're never going to run out of MP, or cures, or attack magic. Early in the game you quite literally cannot die in this setup without trying to do so.

The only real downside is you're not clearing tons of fights so you won't have a shitload of money. The upside is that you're gaining JP fast as hell. You're also going to be leveling very fast but that can be a downside because the challenge is pretty low when you're super charged and only at the earliest part of the game.

e: tl;dr: Get a monk (or 2-3) with Chakra ASAP and your life becomes much easier early on.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you want to avoid that leveling up problem, just get/keep one character at level 1. Their job is to wear your best armor and not do anything.

You may want to get Equip Change for your characters (free from Chemist) so you can unequip your weapons on your actual fighters once the enemy threat has been mostly eliminated. Then stand around as described above with the level 1 character in the middle. Your Chakraer will heal your level 1 character while the other 3 characters hit them with the weakest attacks possible.

You gain experience at 10 points per action, +1 for each level higher the target is, or -1 for each level lower the target is. So by only hitting the level 1 character, you'll be getting much less experience, down to 1 exp. per action when you hit level 10.

Of course, none of this ridiculous grinding is necessary on a regular playthrough. Just play smart and pay careful attention to the AT List and you should be fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing that surprisingly nobody has mentioned is the zodiac system. Zodiac compatibility will make or break the game for you. Signs with good compatibility (four months apart) get a 25% bonus to damage and hit rates (which affect positive status spells like haste too) against each other. Signs with bad compatibility (three months apart) get a 25% penalty against each other. Signs with best/worst compatibility (six months apart, and opposite/same sex respectively) get a 50% bonus/penalty, respectively, against each other. Having three units with mutually good compatibility (like scorpio-pisces-cancer) will make the game a lot easier for you.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you're going to waste so much time JP farming why not just use the glitch?

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Fister Roboto posted:

Another thing that surprisingly nobody has mentioned is the zodiac system.

Yeah, there's a chart on Gamefaqs that sums it up: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/58503

Here's, also, a listing of all the bosses in the game and their zodiac signs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/23143

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd say that would depend on the skills you could get (since I doubt it'd just be all of them, considering how many are useless/redundant) but even if it was just Choco Cure/Ball/Esuna/Meteor it'd be more useful than Geomancy was.

Didn't X-2 mod Blue Mage Magic Gunner so even if you couldn't be arsed to learn enemy spells you could have overpowered damage to certain enemy types?

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

So I downloaded and installed the new FFVII on my WinXP laptop, and everything went smoothly, from download » install » online activation, but when I click "Play" in the launcher, the menu just refreshes and nothing happens. My connection seems to be all right; I even hit "Test" a few times to double-check.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is it just my old PC being old and bad?

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I have never used Squares store, If I bought and installed this on my desktop is it going to try and make me rebuy it to put on my laptop?

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I like how completely ridiculous his stance looks when it's done by a more realistic looking model.

I like how anyone with that much dedication to cleaning up the series would use the lovely AC outfits. Yes I'm that guy :goonsay:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I totally abused that chakra thing and the JP glitch.

penguinmambo posted:

I like how anyone with that much dedication to cleaning up the series would use the lovely AC outfits. Yes I'm that guy :goonsay:
That guy is my favourite guy. :colbert:

Why would you want Cloud in navy blue with a half skirt and one random sleeve?

(Also why would you re-buy a fifteen year old game now with extra DRM crap?)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Welp, I'm an idiot- I was having trouble with the game because I didn't know I could push Triangle on the stat screen to change jobs / abilities / etc. Thanks everyone for the advice, I started over and I'm doing much much better this time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DeathBySpoon posted:

Welp, I'm an idiot- I was having trouble with the game because I didn't know I could push Triangle on the stat screen to change jobs / abilities / etc. Thanks everyone for the advice, I started over and I'm doing much much better this time.

Don't feel bad, the first time I played I didn't realize you could select other units to dispatch by pressing L/R on the pre-battle formation screen.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't feel bad, the first time I played I didn't realize you could select other units to dispatch by pressing L/R on the pre-battle formation screen.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone has done that. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Francois Kofko posted:

If he's playing War of the Lions that glitch doesn't work anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It took me a long time to realize that the towns actually had shops and stuff in FFT. I think it took me a little bit to find the job menu as well.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

oshuaj posted:

So I downloaded and installed the new FFVII on my WinXP laptop, and everything went smoothly, from download » install » online activation, but when I click "Play" in the launcher, the menu just refreshes and nothing happens. My connection seems to be all right; I even hit "Test" a few times to double-check.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is it just my old PC being old and bad?

Turns out my directx was all screwy.

Anyway, I know most people aren't impressed w/ this 2012 version of FFVII and maybe I just have low standards/expectations, but I really like what I've seen in the few hours I've played so far. It's not a great remake or remaster like some would have hoped, but just smoothing out the FMVs, sprites and text makes a world of difference to me vs my 1998 PC version.

The DRM is a disappointment though as I suspect I'll have to repurchase it if I want to play it on a different PC?

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

remeez posted:

I have never used Squares store, If I bought and installed this on my desktop is it going to try and make me rebuy it to put on my laptop?

Don't buy anything directly from Square's shop. I tried to buy FFXIV and I read the fine print. It says that you only have 30 days to download the game and after that you have to buy it again. I think that's Digital River's download policy anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though I've only bought one thing from their store.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

remeez posted:

No. Hang on to your original downloaded file thogh because Digital River is stupid.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I actually quit the game as a kid because of this. I tried so hard to beat that first battle with just Ramza :(

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DeathBySpoon posted:

I actually quit the game as a kid because of this. I tried so hard to beat that first battle with just Ramza :(

Yeah, me too. Put me off the game for years.

Then on my third time through I beat the game as solo Ramza for some sweet vindication :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Francois Kofko posted:

Which glitch and on what version does it work?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

Which glitch and on what version does it work?

Probably referring to the JP Scroll glitch. It doesn't work on War of the Lions.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DeathBySpoon posted:

Better: a friend of mine actually did beat the game all the way to the first Dorter battle (so like three or four battles) this way on his first playthrough. I discovered this when he declared it "impossibly difficult" and asked when he would get more party members.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

penguinmambo posted:

It was mostly a test, I just grabbed the first model pack I could find. I ended up throwing it all out and finding an old copy of the original FF7 pc so I could load all the mods into it. The difference in quality is night and day and honestly I would not purchase the re-release. It's total garbage.

This is how FF7 *can* look and sound on pc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyboi posted:

This is how FF7 *can* look and sound on pc:

Oh, yeah. It's great how the characters are now disproportionate and wildly varying in quality, and the menus and text have all the visual style of someone's first Flash game. Vast improvement.