Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This is the only thing I've seen about Sleeping Dogs and I can't tell if its good or bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NIW1Upu98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

Welp, time to go sell my possessions on SA Mart so I can afford this game.

In other news, Tech Report has officially dubbed the 660 Ti part of its 2012 Back-to-School Sweet Spot system. I guess they like it.

A z77 board with a locked CPU?
OCZ SSD?
Sound card? I'd say you should always run with onboard unless you have awfully noisy onboard or a specific need for the card.

Maybe there's a little bias in there. Still, the 660Ti is a fine card of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 17, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

HalloKitty posted:

A z77 board with a locked CPU?
OCZ SSD?
Sound card? I'd say you should always run with onboard unless you have awfully noisy onboard or a specific need for the card.

Maybe there's a little bias in there.

As mentioned in the SSD thread (I think, conversations are feeling oddly distributed right now), they love OCZ for some reason.

Z77 with a locked CPU isn't the end of the world - you can still kick that sucker up four bins and lock Turbo to all cores for +800 MHz vs. the base frequency.

As for a sound card, well, old habits die hard. AnandTech started a Podcast the other day in which they were saying how i7s should be the default pick. Their rationale was that top-end-on-a-platform enthusiast computing used to cost $1000 for a CPU, and in comparison $300 is a steal.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

As mentioned in the SSD thread (I think, conversations are feeling oddly distributed right now), they love OCZ for some reason.

Z77 with a locked CPU isn't the end of the world - you can still kick that sucker up four bins and lock Turbo to all cores for +800 MHz vs. the base frequency.

As for a sound card, well, old habits die hard. AnandTech started a Podcast the other day in which they were saying how i7s should be the default pick. Their rationale was that top-end-on-a-platform enthusiast computing used to cost $1000 for a CPU, and in comparison $300 is a steal.

True, but why not just get an H77? And I didn't even realize there was still a consumer audio card market.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

FamDav posted:

True, but why not just get an H77? And I didn't even realize there was still a consumer audio card market.

Lose the ability to kick it up the four bins? I 'unno. The price gap between a low-end Z77 and high-end H77 is not large.

As for consumer audio cards (what thread is this again?) they exist. They're split between audiophile bullshit and legit useful cards if you have dumped a particularly large amount into really nice headphones or do recording.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I had an itch to upgrade my computer and opted for a sound card a few months ago. After this video card upgrade I don't know what else to do haha.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FamDav posted:

Not only that, Creative just officially released some new cards. Quad-core ASIC plus tons of other goodies, likely with standard Creative drivers!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FamDav posted:

Good Audio cards/DACs are pretty necessary when your headphones/speakers pass the 300$/600$ mark, respectively.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

doomisland posted:

This is the only thing I've seen about Sleeping Dogs and I can't tell if its good or bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NIW1Upu98
I'll semi-hijack to say that Sleeping Dogs is really damned fun and looks amazing on a good card. With the hi-res download things look great and the gameplay and storyline are fun.

I've already dumped 10 or so hours into it and imagine I'm getting near the end and not once have I thought it was a chore to do something mostly because for most missions you don't have to drive clear across the map for no reason.

Plus the characters are done really well both in voice and writing

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

real_scud posted:

I've already dumped 10 or so hours into it and imagine I'm getting near the end and not once have I thought it was a chore to do something mostly because for most missions you don't have to drive clear across the map for no reason.

Not to get too off-topic, but really, only 10 hours in length?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Do you guys think a 650 watt psu is plenty to power an i5 3570/660ti machine? I have no plans to overclock or run SLI. Power supply in question is the corsair AX650.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
More than enough.

Anti-Hero posted:

I've got 8.7 hours on it and I'm still just in the first two areas, although I did collect all the collectibles in the first area and do most of the side missions so far.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 17, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

More than enough.

Is a Seasonic 620w enough for an overclocked i7 2600k, an overclocked Geforce 670, and a 560 Ti 448 for PhysX?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you were running both cards flat out I think it would be borderline, but I don't think (unsure on this) that a physx load is going to ever get close to pushing the 560 to the max, so it should be fine.

Maybe Agreed could chime in with what kind of load just being a physx processor puts on a GPU?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

If you were running both cards flat out I think it would be borderline, but I don't think (unsure on this) that a physx load is going to ever get close to pushing the 560 to the max, so it should be fine.

Maybe Agreed could chime in with what kind of load just being a physx processor puts on a GPU?

My 448 is not cutting it for 1440p (drat you Koreans!) and I am thinking of relegating it to PhysX duties thanks to Agreed's jizzing all over the thread about his setup

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would sell the 560 because you can probably get some decent money for it and it seems like total overkill to have a physx gpu to me really, but hey.

I would be interested to see someone do an article on the subject at some point.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Anti-Hero posted:

Actually I think I'm way off, I thought I was near the end but I haven't even unlocked the house in some of the other areas so I think I have quite a few more hours ahead of me before it's beaten.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Animal posted:

My 448 is not cutting it for 1440p (drat you Koreans!) and I am thinking of relegating it to PhysX duties thanks to Agreed's jizzing all over the thread about his setup

Same deal here. Though I'm thinking of what kind of graphics setup I'd need to drive 3x 2560x1440 monitors.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Aquila posted:

Same deal here. Though I'm thinking of what kind of graphics setup I'd need to drive 3x 2560x1440 monitors.

I'm sure a pair of GTX 690 SLI could pump out that kind pixel volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAECBuDICg

Also, just as a terribly niggly thing that has been bugging me with the OP is that the tessellation subsection section header is misspelled with one 'l'.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Whale Cancer posted:

Do you guys think a 650 watt psu is plenty to power an i5 3570/660ti machine? I have no plans to overclock or run SLI. Power supply in question is the corsair AX650.

A better sized power supply for you is 450W.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Animal posted:

It doesn't demand a GF110 card's full resources, but it does clock up to full (stock) speed, and you can overclock the memory to get some added bandwidth.

But don't do it unless you're messed in the head, there are with the addition of Borderlands 27 games of dramatically varying quality that have GPU accelerated PhysX implementation.

If you're gonna play a LOT of Borderlands 2, I guess hang onto it if your power supply can handle a 670 and the (hungry hungry) GF110-based card simultaneously; my 750W Corsair HX is actually a 900W-safe CWT and it can pretty effortlessly manage a highly overclocked 2600K, a highly overclocked GTX 680, and the GTX 580 (which will, annoyingly, sometimes spin up even when there is no GPU PhysX going on at all - blame the drivers), as well as one optical drive, two 2TB HDDs, and 3 SSDs. And 4x4GB DDR3 1600 DIMMs at 1.525V. I ought to get a measurement tool to see what my total system draw is, but the added energy bill component is about the same as having a 100W lightbulb on in a room constantly. To carry the analogy, you also only go into that room about once a month. Not a major expenditure there, but it is part of the final analysis.

Another drawback - if you aren't using an Ivy Bridge processor, the lack of PCI-e 3.0 support and a tendancy for most Sandy Bridge motherboards capable of running two 16-lane devices in 8x/8x mode will mean that a modern, high-end graphics card will be somewhat bottlenecked (game dependent, but expect as much as 5% for PCI-e 2.0 8x). So it's going to cost you a portion of your possible performance at anything lower than PCI-e 3.0 8x/8x to do.

The benefit, in that minority of games that support it, is that at all resolutions, you will get superior framerates using a dedicated PhysX processor than if you used, say, two 680s in SLI. No kidding, the rendering hit and the inefficiency of juggling the card's shader resources as CUDA cores no they're shaders no they're CUDA no they're shaders is big enough that you end up eating poo poo for FPS in demanding PhysX calculations if you have ANY rendering card, SLI or otherwise, trying to pull double duty.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The motherboard is an ASUS GENE-Z. Case is a Fractal Define Mini. The 448 is a MSI Twin Frozr Lighting so I could get a nice price for it and put it into the 670... but I do love Arkham City, and I will play Borderlands 2 since its bundled with the 670. Also I like the Metro games... decisions.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Wait, so to get the sweet particle effects in borderlands I'd need the 660 and another nvidia card or can you just run it off of one?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Wait, so to get the sweet particle effects in borderlands I'd need the 660 and another nvidia card or can you just run it off of one?

You can run it off one. Its just much faster to unload it to an extra card.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
In the Same vein, can I have a main ATI card (7950, say) and use a cheaper nvidia card for physx? Or are people with ATI hardware screwed out of the cool stuff?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Frank Dillinger posted:

In the Same vein, can I have a main ATI card (7950, say) and use a cheaper nvidia card for physx? Or are people with ATI hardware screwed out of the cool stuff?

There are unofficial, unsupported, really unstable hacks to let you do that, but practically speaking it's a no go. Team Green or bust.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Good Audio cards/DACs are pretty necessary when your headphones/speakers pass the 300$/600$ mark, respectively.

Technically true, the best kind of true. The best way to handle audio on the PC has almost never been correlated with price. Ten years ago it was about getting the best quality line level signal out to a decent app. Now it's all about getting the best (i.e. unsampled or upsampled) digital signal out to your DAC -- or just bypass it completely and use a USB dac that has drivers to handle 192Hz signals.

The best cards to do this have never been the $200-$300 gaming cards. These days, at least for headphones, most people wouldn't even bother with dealing with this onboard and just use a USB DAC.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

A better sized power supply for you is 450W.

Wow thats well under what I was expecting. I thought 550 bare minimum.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I purchased a Evga 670 this week and installed it.

Since the upgrade I have had several hardlocks, dozens of crashes in Planetside2, and other games. I did the Firmware upgrade earlier today, and it stopped the hardlocks, but I am still crashing to desktop a couple of times an hour. I usually get a popup from windows telling me the Nvidia drivers crashed.

It is an overclocked model, but the temp doesn't seem to be the problem, when I run monitoring software it stays under 70c.

Is this normal for 670s, or should I RMA the bitch?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Try underclocking the card using MSI Afterburner or a similar utility. If that solves the issues, then the problem is the card. If it doesn't, then the problem is the drivers, which is a much more difficult problem to fix.

My money, however, is on the card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Nvidia has released new WHQL drivers, chock-full of new game profiles and suchlike: 305.68 WHQL.

E: Oops. If you don't own a 660 Ti, you actually want 305.67. Or just wait a bit for them to get posted officially.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

E: Oops. If you don't own a 660 Ti, you actually want 305.67. Or just wait a bit for them to get posted officially.

This driver is A Very Good Driver, and I recommend it. The current Beta driver from the nVidia drivers page is rather out of date, having been released July 3, and doesn't include profiles for many current games.

nVidia has stated intent to push a new WHQL driver which will presumably wrap both of these functionalities (660Ti features + everything else) soon, and further enhance compatibility with major releases that are ongoing, including a Sleeping Dogs SLI profile for anyone doing that.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

InstantInfidel posted:

Try underclocking the card using MSI Afterburner or a similar utility. If that solves the issues, then the problem is the card. If it doesn't, then the problem is the drivers, which is a much more difficult problem to fix.

My money, however, is on the card.

Down clocked it to base, still crashed.
Down clocked it 200MHz, still crashed.

Tried to install the Beta drivers above, and my computer started beeping like Rosie from the Jetsons. Said "gently caress It", put my old Radeon back in and printed the RMA labels.

Probably going to go for a non-overclocked version this time. I'll have to check out the 660 Ti too.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
The only other things I can think of would be to clean up the drivers for your old card. Other than that, try those beta drivers.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Animal posted:

You can run it off one. Its just much faster to unload it to an extra card.

Thanks for the clarification.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

An unrelated question: are there still hacks to use nvidia cards for the acceleration features of Adobe CS6? I some posts suggesting that ATI were the way to go for that because of OpenCL but I was under the impression that Adobe only supported Nvidia with the mercury engine stuff? I can ask in the post-production thread if this is the wrong place.

For Premiere's Mercury Engine, the one that does rendering, it's still mostly Nvidia-only with only a few official Radeons in Macbook Pros. Hacking in support for Nvidia cards is easy, but hacking in support for Radeons is not.

For Photoshop's Mercury Engine (a different one), that's OpenCL based and works on pretty much everything, with a larger list of officially supported GPUs which includes even Intel Ivy Bridge IGPs.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

For Premiere's Mercury Engine, the one that does rendering, it's still mostly Nvidia-only with only a few official Radeons in Macbook Pros. Hacking in support for Nvidia cards is easy, but hacking in support for Radeons is not.

For Photoshop's Mercury Engine (a different one), that's OpenCL based and works on pretty much everything, with a larger list of officially supported GPUs which includes even Intel Ivy Bridge IGPs.

Thank you! I searched myself like a real grown-up Internet user and found the info so I edited out my question (too late to save you the trouble) but this puts my mind at ease.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

This should be a legit adobe gripe blog post.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe I can run Borderlands 2 off one 580 at 2560x1600 and use the other for PhysX? Because hot drat, that demo was impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed posted:

It doesn't demand a GF110 card's full resources, but it does clock up to full (stock) speed, and you can overclock the memory to get some added bandwidth.

But don't do it unless you're messed in the head, there are with the addition of Borderlands 27 games of dramatically varying quality that have GPU accelerated PhysX implementation.

If you're gonna play a LOT of Borderlands 2, I guess hang onto it if your power supply can handle a 670 and the (hungry hungry) GF110-based card simultaneously; my 750W Corsair HX is actually a 900W-safe CWT and it can pretty effortlessly manage a highly overclocked 2600K, a highly overclocked GTX 680, and the GTX 580 (which will, annoyingly, sometimes spin up even when there is no GPU PhysX going on at all - blame the drivers), as well as one optical drive, two 2TB HDDs, and 3 SSDs. And 4x4GB DDR3 1600 DIMMs at 1.525V. I ought to get a measurement tool to see what my total system draw is, but the added energy bill component is about the same as having a 100W lightbulb on in a room constantly. To carry the analogy, you also only go into that room about once a month. Not a major expenditure there, but it is part of the final analysis.

Another drawback - if you aren't using an Ivy Bridge processor, the lack of PCI-e 3.0 support and a tendancy for most Sandy Bridge motherboards capable of running two 16-lane devices in 8x/8x mode will mean that a modern, high-end graphics card will be somewhat bottlenecked (game dependent, but expect as much as 5% for PCI-e 2.0 8x). So it's going to cost you a portion of your possible performance at anything lower than PCI-e 3.0 8x/8x to do.

The benefit, in that minority of games that support it, is that at all resolutions, you will get superior framerates using a dedicated PhysX processor than if you used, say, two 680s in SLI. No kidding, the rendering hit and the inefficiency of juggling the card's shader resources as CUDA cores no they're shaders no they're CUDA no they're shaders is big enough that you end up eating poo poo for FPS in demanding PhysX calculations if you have ANY rendering card, SLI or otherwise, trying to pull double duty.

So, does that mean it would be worth it to use one of my GTX260's as a PhysX card when I upgrade? (Doubt it)