Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Who What Now posted:

Man, I feel stupid because I just like a comic about a down-on-her-luck lady just tryin' to do her best. I didn't know that I had to have a triple PhD in entertainment ethics.

Yeah, I don't know when we ended up in the book barn or what.

prequeladventure.com posted:

8/22/12: next update is still coming, it’s just turning out to be more complicated than I planned

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

I think the problem with this viewpoint is that it automatically assumes that the "arms race" and lower viewer percentages are a bad thing.

The whole "arms race" concept is, economically, just regular competition. It's a driving force behind both capitalism and technological development. As new, more efficient techniques are uncovered, there will be an expectation that they will be used. Everyone has an incentive to come up with something better than their competitors - which is also what motivates a lot of entertainment's groundbreaking experimentation. On the whole, it's a good thing.

Combine that with lower viewer percentages and higher overall viewership. That doesn't imply that the ability to captivate audiences has been lost, but rather that it has become more generally available. It means techniques that were once innovative and trumped the competition have since worked their way into general use - and are still working. If anything, I would construe the lower viewership percentages held by any one party as nothing more than the dissolution of a monopoly.

And even if overall viewer numbers for any particular television show went down, that is not necessarily bad - at least for the viewers. The most common reason people don't consume a particular piece of entertainment is because they would rather spend their time and money on something else. If all entertainment is able to hold roughly equal power over its viewers, then consumers are going to have to make their choice based off personal preferences. You could perhaps look at it in terms of the long tail model - a multitude of "products", each making a smaller number of sales. Consumers end up with entertainment that exactly matches their interests, and is just plain well done. Entertainers end up smaller but very passionate audiences. It's hardly dystopian.

There are other factors, of course, and probably a multitude of Horrifying Unforseen Consequences. But with the general direction economics seems to be taking - with an increasing number of "long tail" businesses and easily searchable databases - I think the outcomes I'm predicting are much more likely than the erosion of culture. If anything, we are on the brink of something really impressive. And as for the current problems artists have competing with reality TV and Twilight, that is something I would personally attribute to artists as a whole not fully understanding the mechanics behind entertainment. That's precisely why I want to look into it.

Who What Now posted:

Man, I feel stupid because I just like a comic about a down-on-her-luck lady just tryin' to do her best. I didn't know that I had to have a triple PhD in entertainment ethics.
Don't feel stupid, slow updates just made this thread veer off into theory.

So, uh, Prequel related, I drew some fire.

It sucked so I did it again, taking some cues from how it was done in Samurai Jack.

Not perfect, but should work for its purposes.

If you don't want to economics you can talk about my fire.

e: VVVVVVV Jesus Christ man, you haven't watched Samurai Jack? Get the hell out of this thread and go find some episodes. Your fake edit is even answered within the first four.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 26, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the second one looks a lot better. On that note now I'm wondering if I will ever happen to get around to watching Samurai Jack.

Fake edit: Maybe we can talk about how the name Jack is used in stories so much?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kazerad posted:

It sucked so I did it again, taking some cues from how it was done in Samurai Jack.

Not perfect, but should work for its purposes.

If you don't want to economics you can talk about my fire.

That's a squiggly green guitar.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

jetz0r posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Samurai Jack rocks. Shame Aku's voice actor died. :(

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This is amazing. Feature this somehow.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

It needs to be animated as she's playing it.

You can save this for when she becomes a super awesome high level fire mage. It is okay. We will wait. :allears:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

jetz0r posted:

My creation of this thread has now been fully justified.

Tollymain posted:

Yeah the second one looks a lot better. On that note now I'm wondering if I will ever happen to get around to watching Samurai Jack.

You really do need to get out and watch that. It's wonderful. Just be aware that the story isn't really complete. They keep talking about doing an animated movie to finish it off, but that hasn't really gone anywhere (although it may yet; stranger things have happened).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

You really do need to get out and watch that. It's wonderful. Just be aware that the story isn't really complete. They keep talking about doing an animated movie to finish it off, but that hasn't really gone anywhere (although it may yet; stranger things have happened).

Last time I heard of it was on a very old blog post from around 2009 I think, but hope shouldn't be lost, since this was posted on July 12th of this very year.
Also I still need to watch the whole series, I remember very scattered bits and pieces of it.

And since samurai jack talk came up I just couldn't get this image out of my head

(Katia doing her best Aku impersonation)

thumbnailed because I feel unworthy posting next to:
That's sick, did you have that pose already? I'm not sure if there actually was or wasn't an air guitar sprite.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

It needs to be animated as she's playing it.

I want her to stick her tongue out like Gene Simmons and shaking her head like she's having a seizure.

Now that's guitar fire wizardry.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I cant stop laughing at this.

One day Katia will be the best pyro-guitarmancer in Cyrodiil.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

I actually agree with everything you're saying, yet think cultural erosion as you put it needs some explaining.

It's really that common culture would erode, which is something I care about as a political science guy and vaugely patriotic person. One of the big crises of the information age so far is the erosion of national identity, a multifactor thing that comes from many places but is being exacerbated by the increasing flatness of the world's exchanges of goods, services, and information.

Nation-states like the US and many states which aren't quite nations as well find and create identity through common culture, and that identity serves a lot of purposes in terms of fostering cooperation and compromise within the group that identity defines. Right now, as political division and divisiveness are high in the U.S., and many European countries are facing demographic/political crises, and China is going through mid-stage industrialization towards a modern services economy, further eroding the common culture that glues together national identities seems like a bad idea. We could all end up as nationally listless as the Japanese, and our governments as frustrated by lack of national focus as India's.

Maybe it's inevitable, and in some ways I'm just a scared and conservative person. But either way, I think this really has gone far beyond a cat playing a sick flame guitar, hasn't it? :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jetz0r posted:

One day Katia will be the best pyro-guitarmancer in Cyrodiil.

Time to go and find out if there's a mod that adds Bard skills and lets you cross-skill to conjuration to summon pyroguitars.

There needs to be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was getting caught up on my podcast backlog and heard this:

MARTINI SHOT- Arm Tap

"I can use whatever trick I know to delude myself that I can manage the audience but...I can't. I can only bore them, or keep them interested"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ArfJason posted:

(Katia doing her best Aku impersonation)

Who dares to summon the Master of Mishaps, the Deliverer of Disasters, the Shogun of Soul Crushing Self Doubt, Katia?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Dear Kaz,

Once again, please don't horribly murder the dream-kitten with the terrifying nightmare beast please oh God it's breaking the website itself oh God.

Love,

The Internet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, you've once again outdone yourself. You're some kinda flash/html wizard.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That was pretty slick.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Probably the best part about this update was that there wasn't a scare-chord at the end :wth:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like the way the text around the rest of the page goes 'Zalgo' at the end. That's a nice touch. Also - :stonk:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Okay wow, I was reading this at night and that legitimately scared the poo poo out of me for a second. Awesome.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Yup, it's time to change them pants.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Well, that was certainly unexpected. Good job, man, I love what you and the tech people are doing with HTML5 fuckery.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Um, yeah. Okay. I'll just be closing that tab now.

It can't follow you if you close the tab, right?

Right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Once you've clicked the blue arrow to reveal the boss' ultimate form, open your browser's javascript console and type this magical incantation:

omgwtfishappening();

(omgwt fish appening)

The effect is funny.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay I went "Eek!" I admit it.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Oh hey, a Prequel update! I wonder what's going to haJESUS loving CHRIST

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

Holy poo poo - ok, yup. That was pretty well done.

SuitCase874
Aug 22, 2010

I think you could cheaply impress people with the mere novelty of flashy updates like these, but they're so much more than flashy. This is really emotive, well-planned animation. It's hard to really engage a person casually browsing along on their messy, big computer desktop, but the framing and pacing is so good I think anyone could be drawn in by that update. It's wonderful. Gush gush gush.

And what a cool-looking monster!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd probably react the same way Katia did. That monster was determined to scare her!

This is an awesome sequence so far, all the techno-wizardry is great and well-used.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
And in the next set of updates the king will begin making fun of the readers history and favourites. Following that, he will install himself on your desktop like a bonzi buddy from hell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy gently caress!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
"Oh hey, there's a few new replies in the Prequel thread. Maybe it upda... :stare:"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I swear I could hear a big Jurassic Park T-Rex roar with the final transformation and my laptop is muted!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Oh hey, there's a few new replies in the Prequel thread. Maybe it upda... :stare:"

Yeah pretty much this.

Those of you like me who thought that this ended too quickly, make sure you click the "next" button at the bottom.

Also appreciating the Zalgo text at the end; nice touch.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This is an awesome sequence so far, all the techno-wizardry is great and well-used.
The design for the nightmare emperor was great in the previous dream sequence, and is getting better and better.
On one hand, I am curious to see how this develops. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to. :ohdear:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cat Mattress posted:

Once you've clicked the blue arrow to reveal the boss' ultimate form, open your browser's javascript console and type this magical incantation:

omgwtfishappening();

(omgwt fish appening)

The effect is funny.

Everyone do this. I don't know about other browsers, but if you're in Chrome just hit Ctrl+Shift+J and copy/paste that line in.

Also, is the text at the end supposed to have a bunch of squares in it? Some of it's Zalgo'd, some isn't: http://i.imgur.com/Au2Wt.jpg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, is the text at the end supposed to have a bunch of squares in it? Some of it's Zalgo'd, some isn't: http://i.imgur.com/Au2Wt.jpg

Your browser's not using a font with enough of the unicode set.

I just tried it out in chrome and it suffered that issue, works fine in Firefox for me. Looks like the font that Chrome uses is more limited.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yup, in chrome all the text turns to squares.

• Locked thread