Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If you're having a really hard time, just abuse quicksave? Run around, shoot him once or twice, run away, quicksave. Unless the Xbox can't quicksave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I agree I was dense, but it is sad that a game can be set to "narrative", yet still have an impossible to pass part. Deus Ex still happens to be one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm going to try a few more times before I give up and retreat to an earlier save point.

I trusted him, and see where it got me? :argh:

Have you switched to easy mode during the fight?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

KillHour posted:

I much prefer the more subtle one where the woman with the social implant uses it against you. When you go back to see her, she's gone and you're out 2 grand. :v:

Can I get some clarification? I cannot remember when this happens

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, is anyone else curious as to what Sarif is referring to during the intro sequence when he says "he doesn't need that?" Were they trying to install a toaster oven, a Deion Sanders Hotdog Express, an automatic cat food dispenser, or something?

"He doesn't need that."

"But sir, just look at the poor guy. His body's been pulverized. He'll have to undergo months upon months of physical therapy to recover, and it'll hurt like hell. And now you're telling me not to fix his tiny wiener? You're a monster!"

"He never asked for this."

It was a reference to Robocop where Bob Morton had them remove Murphy's perfectly viable arm in favor of full cybernetic prosthesis. Adam also had a mostly uninjured fully functioning arm as indicated by the cutscene but Sarif wanted a full on super soldier.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Can I get some clarification? I cannot remember when this happens
Side quest: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Bar_Tab
Character: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Jaya

The wiki seems lacking in details on the subject, however. Someone who has a saved game right around there might want to verify the specifics and fill it in.

SirDan3k posted:

It was a reference to Robocop where Bob Morton had them remove Murphy's perfectly viable arm in favor of full cybernetic prosthesis. Adam also had a mostly uninjured fully functioning arm as indicated by the cutscene but Sarif wanted a full on super soldier.
That's one of my all-time favorite movies and I didn't even notice that particular homage.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 27, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'd really like to buy the soundtrack to the game, which I found here on Amazon MP3 (25 tracks). But it doesn't have near as many tracks as the one in this YouTube playlist (85 tracks), which I assume is ripped from resource files in the game.

Anyone know what the story is?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'd really like to buy the soundtrack to the game, which I found here on Amazon MP3 (25 tracks). But it doesn't have near as many tracks as the one in this YouTube playlist (85 tracks), which I assume is ripped from resource files in the game.

Anyone know what the story is?

Not much of a story, you've guessed it right yourself. :) The Augmented Edition soundtrack has 12 tracks, the Original Soundtrack has 25 (and some of them are tweaked in some ways, or multiple tracks from the game blended together to form one) while there's way more tracks directly ripped from the game - about 150 of ambient / tension / combat tracks without the cutscene audio files.

The OST isn't bad and I own a physical copy of it, but a ton of music tracks are missing. I'd really love a much bigger official collection (especially because the cutscene audio files have sfx baked into them in-game), but just like with a bigger art book, there's no indication of it happening officially.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hogburto posted:

Side quest: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Bar_Tab
Character: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Jaya

The wiki seems lacking in details on the subject, however. Someone who has a saved game right around there might want to verify the specifics and fill it in.

Indeed, that's the only place I thought possible; I'd verify but I cannot play right now, but I don't remember her being very convincing. Perhaps it occurs if Adam doesn't possess the implant?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Indeed, that's the only place I thought possible; I'd verify but I cannot play right now, but I don't remember her being very convincing. Perhaps it occurs if Adam doesn't possess the implant?

Yeah, if you skipped that upgrade for some reason, she is a lot less effective.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I happened to get my hands on the Tactical Pack. Is it worth installing, or should I just gift it to someone? I can theorize that the credits don't matter at all, the shotgun appears underpowered and the game doesn't really have a lot of spots for a silenced sniper where the pistol wouldn't do, but I can't really know if the pack is worth it unless I ask people who played with it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 27, 2012

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I happened to get my hands on the Tactical Pack. Is it worth installing, or should I just gift it to someone? I can theorize that the credits don't matter at all, the shotgun appears underpowered and the game doesn't really have a lot of spots for a silenced sniper where the pistol wouldn't do, but I can't really know if the pack is worth it unless I ask people who played with it.

The extra credits let you buy a few extra augs and the grenades are somewhat helpful, but yeah you won't miss much if you skip using it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Zotwoz posted:

The extra credits let you buy a few extra augs and the grenades are somewhat helpful, but yeah you won't miss much if you skip using it.

I think it's worth it just for the credits, simply because more/earlier augs = more fun.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yeah, the credits are nice, but so far I've never felt a need to use either weapon. I alsways play as a sneaky, stealth dude, which rules out the shotgun. And as I like to use only the stungun, that more or less makes the rifle completely superfluous.

Edit: That said, whatever thing included the AUD has been my savior. The AUD has made me much more adventurous and willing to explore, even if it takes a bit out of the challenge.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm always in favor of another silenced firearm. It's nice having a no-fuss point-and-click option.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Xander77 posted:

I've used the silenced sniper rifle a lot, especially now that I've completely given up on using the tranq-rifle. But, I prefer to reach out and touch someone to getting up close and personal.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Tecman posted:

Not much of a story, you've guessed it right yourself. :) The Augmented Edition soundtrack has 12 tracks, the Original Soundtrack has 25 (and some of them are tweaked in some ways, or multiple tracks from the game blended together to form one) while there's way more tracks directly ripped from the game - about 150 of ambient / tension / combat tracks without the cutscene audio files.

The OST isn't bad and I own a physical copy of it, but a ton of music tracks are missing. I'd really love a much bigger official collection (especially because the cutscene audio files have sfx baked into them in-game), but just like with a bigger art book, there's no indication of it happening officially.
Ahh, all I have is the Explosive Mission Pack, because they don't like to give American customers all the stuff in preorders. That's kind of disappointing; maybe I'll purchase the one on Amazon but then also look into ripping the Youtube version so I have a more-complete collection available for my listening pleasure.

Iacen posted:

Yeah, the credits are nice, but so far I've never felt a need to use either weapon. I alsways play as a sneaky, stealth dude, which rules out the shotgun. And as I like to use only the stungun, that more or less makes the rifle completely superfluous.

Edit: That said, whatever thing included the AUD has been my savior. The AUD has made me much more adventurous and willing to explore, even if it takes a bit out of the challenge.
The Explosive Mission Pack was the one with the AUD (and the useless UR-DED remote explosives, the Tong's son mission, and the chance to get that grenade launcher slightly earlier after that mission). That's what I have, anyway, so I never got the Silverback shotgun or the silenced sniper rifle.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The Silverback Shotgun is a lot of fun just for how silly and out of place it is in this game. I wouldn't consider holding onto it for a serious playthrough though, but the grenade launcher is great for the last third of the game.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

jojoinnit posted:

The Silverback Shotgun is a lot of fun just for how silly and out of place it is in this game. I wouldn't consider holding onto it for a serious playthrough though, but the grenade launcher is great for the last third of the game.
It's good for a cowboy themed playthrough where the revolver is your secondary weapon :clint:

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

SpelledBackwards posted:

(and the useless UR-DED remote explosives

I found them useful for creating distractions and disorienting enemies without depleting my supply.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody ever made a mod that enabled all batteries to recharge over time? I really think that allowing only the last pip to recharge had incredibly far reaching negative consequences for the balance of the entire game. I also believe that a mod as simple as an "all pips regen" mod would completely fix the problem.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody ever made a mod that enabled all batteries to recharge over time? I really think that allowing only the last pip to recharge had incredibly far reaching negative consequences for the balance of the entire game. I also believe that a mod as simple as an "all pips regen" mod would completely fix the problem.
I think you're mixing up "your enjoyment" with "balance." With the single recharge plus all the energy supplements, there's already more than enough energy to go around. Having all pips filled for free every time you engage the enemy on top of that would make it just ridiculously easy. Seriously, they playtest. I'm sure the all-pips recharge was ruled out as an unfulfilling experience.

There is a cheat engine script to make all bars begin recharging by adding a tiny amount of energy to the next bar once the last bar is done charging.
If you want to play the game with the least bit of sanity at all, you could easily modify that so that it would only do that when energy was exactly 1 so you'd get just 2 recharging pips instead of all recharging pips.
With all recharging pips, you pretty much wouldn't have to even care about energy consumption. Just switch to superman mode whenever enemies are around.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Poppleganger posted:

I found them useful for creating distractions and disorienting enemies without depleting my supply.
I could see that. I suppose I just resented how much inventory space they took up. Understandably, they didn't stack too terribly well.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

If you are doing a sneaky kill run, they work wonders.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hogburto posted:

I think you're mixing up "your enjoyment" with "balance." With the single recharge plus all the energy supplements, there's already more than enough energy to go around. Having all pips filled for free every time you engage the enemy on top of that would make it just ridiculously easy. Seriously, they playtest. I'm sure the all-pips recharge was ruled out as an unfulfilling experience.

There is a cheat engine script to make all bars begin recharging by adding a tiny amount of energy to the next bar once the last bar is done charging.
If you want to play the game with the least bit of sanity at all, you could easily modify that so that it would only do that when energy was exactly 1 so you'd get just 2 recharging pips instead of all recharging pips.
With all recharging pips, you pretty much wouldn't have to even care about energy consumption. Just switch to superman mode whenever enemies are around.

Honestly, I think the biggest mistake the devs made was combining the resource pool used by both your takedowns and the rest of your augs. Actually, when they ran playtests with a fully recharging pip system, they found that nobody did anything but constant takedowns.

So, instead of separating the resource pools (like, say, Valve did with the Half-Life Episodes when they gave the flashlight its own battery, separate from the one used for sprinting) and just limited how often you could do takedowns, the DX:HR guys just nerfed everything by only letting 1 energy pip recharge. Sure, it stopped players from doing constant takedowns, but it also meant players now had a hugely limited resource pool to do anything else with, which meant all the other aug abilities had to be rebalanced to be super powerful to account for how little you'd be able to use them, and on top of that, they created this bizarre system where the best way to use your energy was to only use replenishing devices (candy bars) right before you planned on using more than one pip, and no sooner, otherwise you'd technically waste the resource... which also meant players were given incentive to sit around and wait on their one pip to regen instead of making progress and having fun playing the game. The choice to use candy bars was really just the cost of not having to sit around for 15-20 seconds to stare at a wall while the rest of the game went on without you. Oh, and to top it all off, this effectively destroyed any reason to spec into having more than two pips, meaning less meaningful choices for character builds.

I've always thought it would have been a better idea to give takedowns their own resource pool and talents, then having all the other augs fall under the energy system originally designed for the game... then making augs cost less over time but be tweaked to be a little less effective so you could actually feel like a cool cyborg dude who's always shifting resources around and even more able to do awesome stuff all the time... kind of like how Deus Ex 1 was (except this time balanced for constantly renewing energy instead of having to hunt for old-school style bio-energy packs all the time). But, seeing as I can't do that, the next best thing would be to use a mod or something for all-pip-regen and just self-compensate by not doing as many takedowns.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 29, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, cause screw streamlining things. You know what people really wanted more of? Numbers to keep track of.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Yeah, cause screw streamlining things. You know what people really wanted more of? Numbers to keep track of.

Yeah, what kind of boring nerd wants to keep up with stats. In an RPG. Totally got me there bro.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deus Ex is not an RPG, though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Efexeye posted:

That's exactly what the first one is, and the reason gunplay was terrible unless you were totally gun-focused in skills.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Efexeye posted:

Really? You might want to tell the developers that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Action being the key word though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

For me the key differentiator in "what makes a game an RPG" is that it's stat juggling with gear bonuses that defines your character, and DXHR definitely doesn't have that. It's just Praxis points and in my estimation that doesn't meet the standard. The devs can call it whatever they want.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Increased complexity in the mechanics wouldn't really keep it from being satisfying in terms of action. To be honest I never really felt like most of the aug upgrades had a real impact on combat. It's way more noticeable when it comes to the other 'pillars'. I think that they kind of let combat be the east way out of most situations, even if you're not specced for it, and I think that that sort of makes combat and combat-builds less interesting.

Efexeye: I think you're the one with the weird definition of RPG, not the developers. It's got progression mechanics, your gear has viewable, modifiable stats, it's reactive and has a quest system, and on and on. It's got pretty much all the trappings of an RPG. It's not as numerically complex as some, but to be honest I really disagree about numerical complexity, or even gear and min/maxing, being a necessary part of an RPG.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay so it's an "Action RPG" and has to carry whatever baggage comes with that. It's pretty far away from Dragon Warrior, if you get my drift.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The only things batteries are even used for are takedowns, punch-through-walls, x-ray vision, typhoon, cloak, and run/land silence. I think limiting cell recharge isn't just to throttle takedowns, but to make doing cloak takedowns ALWAYS cost candy.

I think it's justifiable from a balance perspective, but part of why is because the active aug system is so weak. It's really not very useful outside of stealth and blowing up bosses.

Punch through walls should also really not cost a full battery.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

^^^
The problem there is that partial batteries refill. Really, it should've been a number like health rather than discrete power cells.

Efexeye posted:

Okay so it's an "Action RPG" and has to carry whatever baggage comes with that. It's pretty far away from Dragon Warrior, if you get my drift.

Yeah, and part of that baggage is making sure that progression mechanics, narrative choices, etc, have an impact. They dropped the ball when it comes to progression mechanics and combat. Money's really your main means of improving your combat stats and abilities. But there aren't enough drains on your money to ever feel like there's a real decision.

I think it would've been more satisfying if they'd kept the original system, where praxis points and credits were more intertwined because you'd have to spend credits at clinics to unlock new skill trees. But expanding the aug system to encompass more combat abilities, even if it is less 'streamlined', wouldn't be a bad thing unless it got crazy excessive.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wanted lethal takedowns to take less of an energy cell while non-lethal would take up a whole one or 1.* whatever.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

But, seeing as I can't do that, the next best thing would be to use a mod or something for all-pip-regen and just self-compensate by not doing as many takedowns.
Ummm... Being able to use all your augmentations any time you feel like without being too cheap about it is a limit the game already has built-in: energy items. Your improved system is ignoring energy items and imitating their exact functionality manually.

Having the ability to have free God-Mode whenever you need it is pretty much the same bag as being in God-mode constantly. It's good to keep a limit you have to work with or sacrifice something for to keep some challenge. Try out 2 recharging pips playing as you like at all times and give a little trip report when it's all done to let us know if just that little bit extra is all it takes to make energy items nearly useless or not.

My feeling on the matter is that (unless people considered it fun to sit and wait for pips to recharge back up to 5 constantly), the 1st recharging pip would get used most of the time. You'd need 2 pips for encounters about half as often as you would need 1 pip. 3rd pip encounters are still rarer and so on.
So for extended encounters, a conflict-oriented player would get most of his use out of just that 1st pip, anyway. It's not 5, but I think the difference between 1 regenerating pip and 5 regenerating pip isn't as big a deal in most situations and 2 regenerating pips lets you just overpower enemies in situations where 1 pip and some finesse would've sufficed. I think 2 would be great for a replay, but I'm glad it was just 1 for the initial run.

If there was a 2-regerating-pips aug that took like 3 or 4 Praxis available after you bought the 1st or 2nd battery upgrade, that would be a pretty square deal over buying the additional batteries.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 30, 2012

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I wish they had made all pips regen, perhaps at a diminishing rate beyond the first pip, and balanced it with increased difficulty/puzzles that really demanded increased Aug use. Of course, that would have been problematic for the last couple of levels based on a certain decision the player makes.

You could also make it so that the scripted-sequence takedowns only work with surprise, and replace their use in full combat with a standard, but powerful melee attack. It really doesn't make sense that takedowns require energy at all, considering Adam doesn't appear to be using any more strength than it would take to carry a few boxes around his apartment. Getting punched by a guy with a metal fist should hurt without augmented strength.

Overall, I really want to feel like my cyborg character has major advantages over the enemy, especially since this is central to the overarching themes of the story. But limiting the use of the augmentations to the point that you're mostly relying on basic gun or sneak skills undercuts this. I think there's enough middle ground between "FPS with occasional cloak/Typhoon" and "God mode" to accomplish this.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

I think there's enough middle ground between "FPS with occasional cloak/Typhoon" and "God mode" to accomplish this.
The energy bars already give the player control over when they want to hold back and when they want to go nuts. There were enough in the game for me up until the last level when I was sucking 'em down like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I refused to do it because Pritchard said it would probably be a good idea to get the upgrade :colbert:

Also, is anyone else curious as to what Sarif is referring to during the intro sequence when he says "he doesn't need that?" Were they trying to install a toaster oven, a Deion Sanders Hotdog Express, an automatic cat food dispenser, or something?

"He doesn't need that."

"But sir, just look at the poor guy. His body's been pulverized. He'll have to undergo months upon months of physical therapy to recover, and it'll hurt like hell. And now you're telling me not to fix his tiny wiener? You're a monster!"

"He never asked for this."

You can find an email in the Detroit LIMB clinic that states one of your arms and both of your legs were removed because Sarif had a contract stating they could do what they want, i.e. they could have been fixed.

• Locked thread