Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Oh my god that K-Mart dubstep ad is literally offensive to my ears, how do people listen to that stuff? I have to mute that one every time it comes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I thought it had gone away, but that terrible ACE commercial with the dude screaming "NEIGHBORS! WE SHOULDN'T NEED A GPS TO FIND FERTILIZER! WE SHOULD GO TO ACE!" to everyone in the neighborhood is back, and it's driving me insane. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGViXUV5ZPY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Timby posted:

I thought it had gone away, but that terrible ACE commercial with the dude screaming "NEIGHBORS! WE SHOULDN'T NEED A GPS TO FIND FERTILIZER! WE SHOULD GO TO ACE!" to everyone in the neighborhood is back, and it's driving me insane. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGViXUV5ZPY

I just saw that and was thinking about posting it.

So...we should go to Ace because you have small stores with poo poo selection? Got it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The "Summer Savin'" Grease parody on the Nissan ads needs to stop right the gently caress now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got one of those lawyer commercials from a lawyer who wants people who have been injured by table saws so they can sue them for not putting in flesh-detecting systems :pwn:

So...they should put something in that knows that the blade is hitting flesh (which would already cut the finger off) or something that stops the blade when a finger gets within a small area (which would cause the blade to disintegrate under the stress of stopping that fast and cause even worse injuries)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No back to school ad will ever be as bad as the Old Navy one with the smug girls dancing. You all know what I'm talking about.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Sash! posted:

So...they should put something in that knows that the blade is hitting flesh (which would already cut the finger off) or something that stops the blade when a finger gets within a small area (which would cause the blade to disintegrate under the stress of stopping that fast and cause even worse injuries)?
It exists. It's just expensive and a pain to replace and I think only one company makes them. Pretty cool though. I guess the idea is that all companies should have switched and any that haven't are being negligent so you should sue them? (I disagree with that but I'm not the lawyer)
http://www.sawstop.ca/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Solenna posted:

It exists. It's just expensive and a pain to replace and I think only one company makes them. Pretty cool though. I guess the idea is that all companies should have switched and any that haven't are being negligent so you should sue them? (I disagree with that but I'm not the lawyer)
http://www.sawstop.ca/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE

That's pretty ingenious. I'd be curious to figure out how the brake worked.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Sash! posted:

They had the guy on an episode of Time Warp if you can track it down. That show where they film stuff with a super high speed camera.

Edit whoops that was the youtube link from above.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've already had enough of Burger King's soft serve song commercial thing.

vyst fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 27, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tardcore posted:

Oh my god that K-Mart dubstep ad is literally offensive to my ears, how do people listen to that stuff? I have to mute that one every time it comes on.

Good ol' Youtube posted:

Are you all dumb? Skrillex isn't dubstep? Haha wow you must not know music. It takes a great talent to make music like that. Who says what music can be in any commercial, not any of you obviously. Stop putting down people because they have talent and you are sitting at home.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Sash! posted:

It works by sensing conductivity - wood isn't conductive, but flesh is. It's pretty amazing.

It's a pretty cool success story, but there's kind of a shady side to it too. The guy invented it and took it to the other saw manufacturers trying to sell them licenses to use it. They said no thanks, so he started his own company and currently makes one of the better quality table saws you can buy (plus it probably won't cut your hand off).

He's also encouraging the lawyers who are filing all the lawsuits now because since his saw is the only flesh sensing technology available right now, he stands to benefit greatly if it becomes mandatory. It's a pretty touchy topic in the woodworking world - sort of the "iOS versus Android" for woodworkers.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LordOfThePants posted:

He's also encouraging the lawyers who are filing all the lawsuits now because since his saw is the only flesh sensing technology available right now, he stands to benefit greatly if it becomes mandatory. It's a pretty touchy topic in the woodworking world - sort of the "iOS versus Android" for woodworkers.

Is it wrong if my first thought was wondering what side of the debate Nick Offerman falls on?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LordOfThePants posted:

It works by sensing conductivity - wood isn't conductive, but flesh is. It's pretty amazing.

It's a pretty cool success story, but there's kind of a shady side to it too. The guy invented it and took it to the other saw manufacturers trying to sell them licenses to use it. They said no thanks, so he started his own company and currently makes one of the better quality table saws you can buy (plus it probably won't cut your hand off).

It doesn't seem that shady, unless he's filing lawsuits against other companies that are also trying to develop technologies that prevent you from cutting your fingers off. I think most people would consider encouraging the industry to discourage dismemberment to be a good thing, but then again I'm not a woodworker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the only people calling it 'shady' are the dudes who don't want to put in something that will keep their workers from losing half a hand.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It adds over $300 on every saw that uses it though, and that's why there is so much resistance to adding them on all saws.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, now they're digitally superimposing ads on the football field.

gently caress everything.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Yikes, I have a friend that works for LivingSocial.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

That's not intrusive or distracting at all.

I thought it was bad that they were superimposing ads on the glass behind the nets in the NHL, but this is ridiculous.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was already bothered by the down and distance being on screen in three places. And the score graphic being so high that its almost on top of the near side receivers and DBs. The ads on the glass drive me nuts in hockey too. Its like they are trying to make me done with sports.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't be worst then the rear end Spider-Man ad.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
At this point I'm just hoping that the same context-aware overlay technology can one day be used to remove ads as well as place them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I forgot to ask: Are they persistent ads, or do they go away after the hike? If they're there for the whole play, or the whole loving drive even, then I don't even know what they're thinking anymore.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Obeast posted:

Considering that Axe smells like cheap poo poo cologne that stupid drunk sluts supposedly love and is mainly used by college-aged tools to pick up said sluts, I'm not surprised by how they advertise it.

:shrug:
I use axe bodywash in the shower and axe dry deodorant (not the spray stuff) because it smells nice and whenever it's noticed by a ladyfriend they comment that it smells nice too. Anybody that sprays on a ton of the poo poo is going to be a douchebag no matter what they are spraying on. The ads are terrible, but it's a pretty decent product when used correctly.

SpacePig posted:

I forgot to ask: Are they persistent ads, or do they go away after the hike? If they're there for the whole play, or the whole loving drive even, then I don't even know what they're thinking anymore.

They go away after the ball is in play, just like the extended down graphics (the big arrow graphic, not the lines)

note: A lot of ads like this are played around with during preseason because most of the preseason games are produced by either the team itself or the local broadcasters rather than the big boys at fox/nbc/cbs/espn. I doubt we'll see these in any real NFL games, just the preseason games.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 27, 2012

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leon Einstein posted:

It adds over $300 on every saw that uses it though, and that's why there is so much resistance to adding them on all saws.

I thought it cost more than $300, and you have to replace the blade and one other part everytime it goes off, which is something like $150. Still cheaper than cutting off a digit and having the hospital sew it back on though.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 27, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GutBomb posted:

They go away after the ball is in play, just like the extended down graphics (the big arrow graphic, not the lines)

note: A lot of ads like this are played around with during preseason because most of the preseason games are produced by either the team itself or the local broadcasters rather than the big boys at fox/nbc/cbs/espn. I doubt we'll see these in any real NFL games, just the preseason games.

Oh, I forgot it was preseason. Yeah, they try to cram as many ads as they can into preseason. If it's there for the regular season, people will go insane.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Meltathon posted:

I thought it cost more than $300, and you have to replace the blade and one other part everytime it goes off, which is something like $150. Still cheaper than cutting off a digit and having the hospital sew it back on though.

Also, since it runs off of conductivity you can't cut anything wet or you risk a false positive.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

You mean as amazing. All sports should have rear end Spider-Man.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
That Frank's kayak.com ad I keep seeing on Youtube is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

"Hi! Welcome to Frank's...Kayak.com!" *starts clicking skip ad button repeatedly*

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Rirse posted:

Dunno if Hit and Run is any good or not, but I'm tired of seeing ads for it almost three times ever commercial break right now on Adult Swim.

It ended up in 10th place if anyone is curious, only made $4.7 million.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

Are baseball players this out of shape nowadays? Maybe it's something I've missed because I don't watch baseball but I've never seen one so fat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atasi posted:

Are baseball players this out of shape nowadays? Maybe it's something I've missed because I don't watch baseball but I've never seen one so fat.

That's CC Sabathia. He fat.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I don't watch sports, so this is coming from a place of pure ignorance, I'm sure, but I'm amazed it's taken this long for something like that to happen. We're talking about a sport where poo poo like the end zone would open up and robots would come out and try to kill each other or something, and that was like a decade ago when I was living with a sports nut roommate.

The only way it's going to go is toward more of this stuff, I'm sure. There's certainly no shortage of people in sports that want more money, especially the broadcasters.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Atasi posted:

Fat Baseball Players are an American Tradition :911:. From Babe Ruth to Kirby "So Fat He Could Roll Around The Bases" Puckett.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

They've had this capability for quite a while now, since it's the same technology as the first down line. I think first down lines have been sponsored for a while now and they often superimpose the sponsor name on the field as the teams are lining up for the play.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

Fat Baseball Players are an American Tradition :911:. From Babe Ruth to Kirby "So Fat He Could Roll Around The Bases" Puckett.

Ok then, I guess since I didn't have a home team growing up I never really got into it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

As far as I'm concerned, they can put ads on drat near anything as long as it keeps ads off the uniforms.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

As far as I'm concerned, they can put ads on drat near anything as long as it keeps ads off the uniforms.

It won't :ssh:

edit: There's a Taco Cabana commercial running that insists on referring to Taco Cabana as "TC." I have never heard anyone call it that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 28, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The NBA is putting ads on the jerseys and getting mercilessly picked apart for it. It's supposed to start the season after next but maybe if there's enough negative feedback they won't bother. The commissioners of the other Big Four have already said it's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Someone re-imagined some NFL unis as soccer jerseys and the results were pretty interesting.