Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Oh man. Just absolutely gently caress you and then everything else after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's a metaphor. A brilliant, savage metaphor.

Because honestly, what else is a gay Marine supposed to feel when a member of the GOP says "Reinstate DADT" and "Support our Troops" in the same speech?

I understand that, but what the gently caress? The Onion just gets more and more brutal.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

The problem is, their subtle satire keeps coming true. In order to stay ahead of the game, they have to be increasingly extreme:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rnc-builds-levee-out-of-poor-people-to-protect-con,29337/?ref=auto

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mad_Lion posted:

The problem is, their subtle satire keeps coming true. In order to stay ahead of the game, they have to be increasingly extreme:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rnc-builds-levee-out-of-poor-people-to-protect-con,29337/?ref=auto

I call that and raise you GOP Convention To Feature Strong Lineup Of Conservative Women Listeners.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
People were fooled by a satirical Web site that isn't the Onion, for once. The much-smaller Daily Currant started a ruckus with this story: Todd Akin Claims Breastmilk Cures Homosexuality. It went over Twitter like wildfire, and was posted by Web sites as actual news.

Always check the source!

A bogus cure from the Onion: Revolutionary New Homophobia Immersion Therapy Involves Lowering Patient Into Tank Of Gays.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Neil Armstrong Becomes 115 Billionth Man To Die On Earth

Strongside/Weakside: Gabby Douglas (this may be my favorite regular feature of theirs)

LARGE THE HEAD has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Aug 29, 2012

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

It's a shame there's so much partisan stuff lately. It only takes a slight whiff of smugness, or indulgence, to kill the humour, for me at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Ann Romney Asks For Divorce so much, if only for the amazing closing line about Mitt Romney's reaction.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
New American Voices: Will.i.am To Debut New Song On Mars.

"It was nice of them to wait for Neil Armstrong to die before doing this."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

The Onion can get as dark as they want, but I personally can't imagine anything much more depressing or inane then debuting a tepid pop song on a barren, lifeless planet.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
http://www.theonion.com/video/missing-girl-probably-raped,14164/

This hurt to watch.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Bob Nudd posted:

It's a shame there's so much partisan stuff lately. It only takes a slight whiff of smugness, or indulgence, to kill the humour, for me at least.

Normally I would agree, but with Representative Akin's biology lessons and the Republican National Convention, it would be a dereliction of comedic duty to try to keep it balanced right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bob Nudd posted:

The Onion definitely leans left a bit, but this the week of the Republican convention. Expect some Democrat-satirizing when the other convention is happening.

McCain, Feingold Co-Sponsor Chain Of Integrity-Themed Eateries

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

I liked "If anyone's going to like will.i.am's new song, it's rocks."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Oh this is fantastic.

Libertarian Reluctantly Calls Fire Department

quote:

CHEYENNE, WY—After attempting to contain a living-room blaze started by a cigarette, card-carrying Libertarian Trent Jacobs reluctantly called the Cheyenne Fire Department Monday. "Although the community would do better to rely on an efficient, free-market fire-fighting service, the fact is that expensive, unnecessary public fire departments do exist," Jacobs said. "Also, my house was burning down." Jacobs did not offer to pay firefighters for their service.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Nudd posted:

I agree, usually they balance partisanship off with absurdity but articles about throwing nuts at a black woman and yelling "this is how we feed animals" and shouting down a Puerto Rican delegate for not being American enough were way over the line.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

I agree, usually they balance partisanship off with absurdity but articles about throwing nuts at a black woman and yelling "this is how we feed animals" and shouting down a Puerto Rican delegate for not being American enough were way over the line.

Correction: it was two GOP attendees who were throwing nuts at a black camerawoman.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

:asoiaf:

These are real :psyduck:

Young Freud you should click those links, I almost did what you did.

edit: well not exactly what you did, but I did assume he was actually linking Onion articles which is what I assumed you were doing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Totally TWISTED posted:

:asoiaf:

These are real :psyduck:

Young Freud you should click those links, I almost did what you did.

edit: well not exactly what you did, but I did assume he was actually linking Onion articles which is what I assumed you were doing.

No, I read them. In the related news, at least at the time, they had a link that it was "two" and not just one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
BREAKING: John McCain Just Blew His Brains Out During RNC Speech
I was offended by this until I actually read the article.

quote:

“My friends, I’m not going to be around much longer, so I want to tell you this,” said McCain, a decorated Vietnam war hero. “I am for same-sex marriage if it’s implemented in an incremental way that makes sense. I am for a woman’s right to choose. I believe that human beings have caused this planet to overheat, and that those of you ignoring this issue should be ashamed of yourselves. Immigrants who arrived here as children should be given a path to citizenship. And the income gap in this country is unacceptable. I have always believed these things. And I also believe that this party’s hard turn to the right is detrimental to the well-being and progress of this entire country.”

“Goodbye,” McCain added, and then put a bullet into his head.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Someone should craft a facebook post where you put up 4 headlines, 2 from the onion and those two previously mentioned, and have your friends guess which are which.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Thanks to the Onion, Thursday is my favorite day of the week.

Sex House Episode 8

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Lysidas posted:

Sex House Episode 8

Holy... gently caress.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Lysidas posted:

Sex House Episode 8

holy poo poo

:stare:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There's a reason that the Onion is focusing pretty much solely on the Republicans at the moment and it's not because they are "partisan." It's because the Democrats at the moment are your standard crooked crony politicians, pretty boring as far as political humor goes. Republicans on the other hand have been literally maliciously evil for a while now, doing so many outrageously terrible things that you have to find a way to laugh at them, otherwise you'd just go into deep depression as you think about how awful everything is.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Holy loving hell Sex House is wonderful and I love it. I love the Onion so much.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's a reason that the Onion is focusing pretty much solely on the Republicans at the moment and it's not because they are "partisan." It's because the Democrats at the moment are your standard crooked crony politicians, pretty boring as far as political humor goes. Republicans on the other hand have been literally maliciously evil for a while now, doing so many outrageously terrible things that you have to find a way to laugh at them, otherwise you'd just go into deep depression as you think about how awful everything is.

USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an article laughing at liberals/people who live in reality regarding Paul Ryan's bullshit speech:
Valiant Fact-Checkers Once Again Save American Political System From Descending Into Corruption

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Best They Could Get Accepts Republican Nomination

The point is pretty boring, but the writing reminds me a bit of David Foster Wallace.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's sad that this was more than just a headline...

The Onion posted:

Overweight Tattooed Nerd Girl Working At Forbidden Planet A Fantasy Sex Object To Hundreds Of Customers

Apparently, there's a whole series on comic book nerds...

quote:

Some Poor Writer To Give Moon Knight Another Shot

quote:

Movie Industry Admits 'The Avengers' Really Only Made About $8 Million Nationwide, Tops

quote:

'Check Out This Dope-rear end Marv Wolfman Interview I Found Online,' Area Man Actually Says Out Loud

quote:

Exasperated Mother Finally Throws Out Musty Comic Book Collector

quote:

Virginity Still In Mint Condition

quote:

'You Liked Maus And Persepolis, Though,' Man Tries To Plead With Friend Who Isn't Comics Fan

quote:

Weird Glitch Causing 'The Amazing Spiderman' To Reboot In Middle Of Movie

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Virginity Still In Mint Condition
I can't stop laughing at this.

And now for content. This one is an oldie, but it's golden: Church Group Offers Homosexual New Life In Closet

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

BREAKING: John McCain Just Blew His Brains Out During RNC Speech
I was offended by this until I actually read the article.

I was calling for that in 2008

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redmercer posted:

I was calling for that in 2008

poo poo, that was a Robert Smigel was on that train of thought in 2004.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"I just want to be clear: all the Clippers are dead."

Gets me every time.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A great American Voices: Clint Eastwood Gives Bizarre Speech.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

The last line just made me laugh like crazy for no reason.

Eli Manning tears his ACL while playing with his Skip It.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The best part of that is the picture/name/occupation on the last 2.

Gerald Moskowitz
Grinding Wheel Inspector

and

Marshall Wattles
Acrobatic Rigger

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Weekly World News is a lot less consistent than The Onion, but every once in a while they come up with something cute. For instance, Obama Buys Eastwood Chair.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

The best part of that is the picture/name/occupation on the last 2.
[snip]

They are always coming up with funny ones. Just going through the recent ones:
  • Offset Duplicating Machine Operator
  • Acid Filler
  • Armature Tester
  • Expeller Operator
  • Wet Suit Gluer
  • Mirror Installer
  • Clip-On Sunglasses Assembler
  • Test Baker
  • Ammonia Still Operator
  • Barrel Repairer
  • Leather Parts Matcher
  • Watch-Crystal Molder
  • Yield-Loss Inspector
  • Tire-Cord Weaver
  • Worm Picker
  • Nut Roaster
Many are real jobs, but they are so obscure.

While looking through them, I found one that I hadn't seen that had a visual joke: Mutant Butterflies Found Near Fukushima.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My Great-Grandfather Started This Business With One Simple Mission That We Abandoned Decades Ago

This totally nails the business climate since the '80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Eight Pound Man Removed from Woman's Vagina