Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Stelas posted:

Thanks for that, I'd totally forgotten it was out in the US this early, let alone looked for the thread Gyoru said he was going to make. I think I'm still picking up a UK copy, though, if only because my bandwidth's been dire lately.

On a side note, you might want to skip the first 3 pages or so of the thread, just a heads up. If you're having trouble, a handsome and charismatic poster is working on a walkthrough, which you can see in this post here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502551&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post406813631

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Spent $55 at a garage sale today and got Final Fantasy 7, 9, Tactics,Dirge of Cerebus, and Origins, Suikoden 3 and 4, Dark Cloud, Tower of Druaga Fushigino Dungeon, Arc the Lad Collection (complete in box) and Twilight of the Spirits, Lufia The Legend Returns (GBC), and Disgaea 2.

Already sold FF7 on Amazon. Keeping Suikoden 3, Dark Cloud, Tower of Druaga, and Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits for my collection. Haven't scored this big in a long time, feels good.

My dad snagged Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, and Pokemon Yellow while I was going through the console games though :mad:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Spent $55 at a garage sale today and got Final Fantasy 7, 9, Tactics,Dirge of Cerebus, and Origins, Suikoden 3 and 4, Dark Cloud, Tower of Druaga Fushigino Dungeon, Arc the Lad Collection (complete in box) and Twilight of the Spirits, Lufia The Legend Returns (GBC), and Disgaea 2.

Already sold FF7 on Amazon. Keeping Suikoden 3, Dark Cloud, Tower of Druaga, and Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits for my collection. Haven't scored this big in a long time, feels good.

My dad snagged Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, and Pokemon Yellow while I was going through the console games though :mad:

drat you ripped him off big time. I sold the arc the lad collection by itself on eBay for like 200 bucks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

drat you ripped him off big time. I sold the arc the lad collection by itself on eBay for like 200 bucks.

Doesnt go for anywhere near that now unfortunately. Also I only paid what they were asking, you don't haggle on a deal that good.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Is Saga Frontier 2 actually a good game? I remember played it a lot when I was young, and I saw a copy of it in a store. I thought that the concurrent storylines were interesting. But I haven't really enjoyed many JPGs for awhile (Parasite Eve being the exception).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SSJ Reeko posted:

Is Saga Frontier 2 actually a good game? I remember played it a lot when I was young, and I saw a copy of it in a store. I thought that the concurrent storylines were interesting. But I haven't really enjoyed many JPGs for awhile (Parasite Eve being the exception).

It has some good ideas and great art work but holy poo poo are the final scenarios godawful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SSJ Reeko posted:

It's certainly an okay game with a great soundtrack. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though. If you're familiar with Orange Fluffy Sheep from LP and his datamining gamebreaking antics, I wouldn't ask him to play it, even.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair, the bullshit is almost entirely contained in the last 2 scenarios. Battle of South Moundtop being one of the tactical war battles and horribly stacked against you with little you can do about it and the Final Battle with the Egg simply being a huge increase in difficulty followed by an incredibly long boss fight. The rest of the game is pretty playable for a SaGa game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

To be fair, the bullshit is almost entirely contained in the last 2 scenarios. Battle of South Moundtop being one of the tactical war battles and horribly stacked against you with little you can do about it and the Final Battle with the Egg simply being a huge increase in difficulty followed by an incredibly long boss fight. The rest of the game is pretty playable for a SaGa game.

That's true, I was pretty much able to stumble my way through to South Moundtop without so much as a guide when I was little. I never figured out the duel system, though, without having read an in-depth guide about two years ago. The best (worst?) part about what you're saying here, of course, is that it basically translates to, "you'll never finish it."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dueling isn't much different from regular battles. It wants you to think it is, but you're still just punching in your favorite attacks. The hard part is the temptation to try to spark really high end arts every time you go into one.

Even with the bullshit ending, if I were held at gunpoint and told to recommend a SaGa game, this would be it. I love its approach to storytelling and it has one of the shorter lists of obscure mechanics to understand (and you don't really have to understand them til the very end).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 27, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

I think the bullshit difficulty at the end is pretty standard for a SaGa game, especially Frontier. I've never had a different experience anyway.

I'd recommend the game based on it's gorgeous visuals alone - it dropped at a time when Square(whatever) was experimenting with "hand-drawn" visuals. It looks like a watercolor painting. And it's got one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time as well. Like you said, it's pretty playable on top so I think it's worth a recommend.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I got pretty far into that game as a kid but got stuck at some north vs south tactical bad late in the game. I can't remember the details, just that all of my units were very outclassed. I wonder if that was the bullshit battle?

I remembering really enjoying it up until that point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rascyc posted:

I got pretty far into that game as a kid but got stuck at some north vs south tactical bad late in the game. I can't remember the details, just that all of my units were very outclassed. I wonder if that was the bullshit battle?

I remembering really enjoying it up until that point.

It probably was. Your objective is just to survive something like 8 turns. You have a bunch of mage-ish units with wooden gear and the computer has about double that number in steel soldiers. You can hardly damage them, they can one shot your dudes and the only remotely consistent strategy I've seen is a very exploity way of forcing the enemy commander off the map when he backs off of not quite killing one of your units.

xSousuke
Feb 19, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

I approve of suikoden 3, that game is rare as poo poo in the states just like most of the shin megami series. I really REALLY loved suikoden 3 though, the army tactics gameplay was a really nice touch, i always loved from chap 3 on when the game really picks up, plus dat trinity system yo. I still remember I have suikoden 3 cause i jacked it from a friend 10 years ago :X

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm playing Saga Frontier right now, finished T260G and Emelia, now working on Red's quest (which I remember beating while during a Blockbuster rental when I was a kid). I understand why this game gets poo poo on so hard but I'm having a blast playing it. It's so rushed and unfinished, but after years of playing Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games I really dig just being dumped into a world without any set path to follow, and it's pretty cool being able to do that with a JRPG battle system. I'm wondering if there are any JRPGs that do the nonlinear open world thing, but actually do it well in a finished package. Anyone have any suggestions?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If you have a PS3, Atelier Totori is arguably the best 'open-world' do-what-you-like game I've played in a very long time. It's not perfect by any means but you're given an extensive world map and 3 years to work towards nebulous goals.

Most Saga games are to some extent open world, or at least very freeform. Romancing Saga 3 is probably the most-so. I really like Last Remnant as well, where you won't even see 80% of the world map if you just follow the plot; it's an honorary Saga game where you just happen to have an army instead of a party.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm playing Saga Frontier right now, finished T260G and Emelia, now working on Red's quest (which I remember beating while during a Blockbuster rental when I was a kid). I understand why this game gets poo poo on so hard but I'm having a blast playing it. It's so rushed and unfinished, but after years of playing Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games I really dig just being dumped into a world without any set path to follow, and it's pretty cool being able to do that with a JRPG battle system. I'm wondering if there are any JRPGs that do the nonlinear open world thing, but actually do it well in a finished package. Anyone have any suggestions?

I try to play this 6 month ago but couldn't get into it. I was doing red scenario and the plot was so disjointed I just find it terrible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Legend of Mana is an okay one. You actually build the world in that one and you generally have no clue what the gently caress you are doing in that aspect without a FAQ - placement, timing, monster generation, etc is effected by how you create the world. There's really no central plot as you are mostly playing second fiddle to all of the side character's stories instead. It also has a bizarre as hell crafting system that I never understood.

These two aspects ended up ruining the game for anyone who tried since they were probably expecting another usual Mana installment. It's still a pretty charming game though, just downright confusing at times (what sandbox JRPG isn't though).

Looking back on it, I honestly think Legend of Mana was a more complex game than Last Remnant but Legend of Mana did a better job of hiding it since it wasn't inherently difficult.

I'd honestly just go with Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song for the PS2 as the culmination in Romancing SaGa games available in the west.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 29, 2012

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
To add on Rascyc's post as someone who hadn't played a "____ of Mana" game before it, Legend of Mana is a loving classic. It has an incredibly vibrant and unique art style that hold up quite well today in my opinion and while yes, it's a bit obtuse, it has a lot of charm and doesn't really need you to go too deep into it's more esoteric systems unless you want to. There is an "optimal" way to place artifacts so as to get every quest and every little thing but even without putting that level of effort into it there is a whole lot of enjoyment to be had.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I asked a similar question in the Android thread but thought I'd check in here too...

Anyone here played Final Fantasy III on both DS and Android? Or even the DS version alone? I can probably get the DS version second hand for cheaper than the Android version, but want to know if it is worth just forking out for it on Android if there are any advantages to playing this version?

I still have FF IV sitting in my DS backlog but figured I should play FFIII first - or not?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

It doesn't really matter if you play them in order. There's no connection between the games, and they're both pretty different styles (FF3 being more like FF1 and FF4 being more like FF6, if you've played those) rather than one being a direct improvement of the other.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone here played Final Fantasy III on both DS and Android? Or even the DS version alone? I can probably get the DS version second hand for cheaper than the Android version, but want to know if it is worth just forking out for it on Android if there are any advantages to playing this version?

I still have FF IV sitting in my DS backlog but figured I should play FFIII first - or not?

FF3DS/phoneOS is a loving nightmare. Do not even bother wasting your time. I could go into further detail, but long story short, the NES version's math was essentially balanced; the DS version gives your party the NES math, but multiplies the enemies' HP by in some cases several magnitudes, pumps up their strength, and lets them attack multiple times per round. So basically it's Kaizo World Final Fantasy, except instead of using clever physics and techniques, your only recourse is to grind for a hundred hours.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

At one point I was planning on suggesting in the Final Fantasy thread that we do a random class challenge for FF3 like what has been done with FF5 before (with obvious exceptions for one or two areas like when you need magic). Then I figured that even offering to play FF3DS with whatever the worst combination is (probably Scholar, Evoker, and anything else) would probably not convince anyone else to play it with me.

So pretty much just play FF4DS since you already own it and chances are you won't like FF3DS anyway. I'm saying this as someone who really enjoyed FF3DS and doesn't like FF4 (I played the PSP version) at all.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

FF3DS/phoneOS is a loving nightmare. Do not even bother wasting your time. I could go into further detail, but long story short, the NES version's math was essentially balanced; the DS version gives your party the NES math, but multiplies the enemies' HP by in some cases several magnitudes, pumps up their strength, and lets them attack multiple times per round. So basically it's Kaizo World Final Fantasy, except instead of using clever physics and techniques, your only recourse is to grind for a hundred hours.

Or get lucky. Multiple times there were bosses that could've ended my game if the AI decided to do X and Y on the same turn at the right time, or used X twice on my healer and one shot them from full health. It's only been modernized on a superficial level and niceties you'd expect post-NES like save points weren't added or being able to buy revive items. In a game where you need to go through a moderate length dungeon to reach the final painfully long one to fight a boss and then enter the real final dungeon where you kill four more bosses before you can fight the final one who killed me more than once because it has a gently caress Off Beam that two-shotted my party and acted one turn after then the next turn before my healer could act. The only improvement I remember is that trying to escape battle doesn't set your defense to zero anymore.

The game also penalizes you for changing classes. In a game with a job system. Your stats go down when you change classes and the only way to get them back to normal is to win a number of fights based on your before and after class. You don't carry anything with you when you change class except a bit of max HP. You could go Black Mage for the whole game then switch to Ninja at the end and the only difference if it was Fighter to Ninja would be your final HP would be a bit higher. Nothing else carries over. There's no using abilities in other classes you leveled up in or anything.

Everything about the game was done better in FF5. FF3 is a bad game and there are better ways to use that money including folding it into paper airplanes and throwing it into a fire. Read an LP of it at best, you'll come out ahead on time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Everything about the game was done better in FF5.

This really sums up FF3. Every single thing done in it was better in FF5. Every single thing. It's possibly the only mainline Final Fantasy you can say that about. Every other one is different enough that you can't really go "Play FF9, it's like FF7 but better." FF3? FF5 is exactly that poo poo but better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

This really sums up FF3. Every single thing done in it was better in FF5. Every single thing. It's possibly the only mainline Final Fantasy you can say that about. Every other one is different enough that you can't really go "Play FF9, it's like FF7 but better." FF3? FF5 is exactly that poo poo but better.

5 (and this is also true for 6) was such a good game for the time and even now, really. It's got a meaty length and it improved generally in every way from its most recent predecessors. Why it wasn't released in the states at that time is staggering. I imported it then and I re-purchased it as soon as it was in English. Square knew what was up back then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I rented SaGa Frontier 2 as an RPG-crazed teen and had no idea what I was doing, but kind of enjoyed it. I think I gave up on the exact bullshit battle that was talked about before. Graphics in that game are bloody gorgeous, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

5 (and this is also true for 6) was such a good game for the time and even now, really. It's got a meaty length and it improved generally in every way from its most recent predecessors. Why it wasn't released in the states at that time is staggering. I imported it then and I re-purchased it as soon as it was in English. Square knew what was up back then.

Square was honestly afraid people wouldn't understand the mechanics and would be turned off by the (relative) lack of story. The translator of FF4/6 actually mentioned it. They considered marketing it as "Final Fantasy Extreme" but ended up skipping it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Square was honestly afraid people wouldn't understand the mechanics and would be turned off by the (relative) lack of story. The translator of FF4/6 actually mentioned it. They considered marketing it as "Final Fantasy Extreme" but ended up skipping it.

Japanese gaming companies' opinion on American gamers always confused me. We're the land of the WRPG, some of the densest games ever created by man and they thought we wouldn't get Final Fantasy?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd love to get FF5 on the DS, a la FF3 and 4. It's one of my favourite FF games, behind FF6.

Edit: fFFFFFfffFFFfffff

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Levantine posted:

Japanese gaming companies' opinion on American gamers always confused me. We're the land of the WRPG, some of the densest games ever created by man and they thought we wouldn't get Final Fantasy?

That was on PC, the consoles in the west in the 90s was mostly marketed to kids.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Saga Frontier 2 is one of my favorite games ever, it looks and sounds amazing even now so I dont see any reason you woudlnt enjoy it. As mentioned before there are two very bullshit parts in the game, but the strategy battle has a sure-fire but cheesy strategy if you get frustated, and the final dungeon isnt too bad as long as you realize that you cant backtrack or grind once you enter. The final boss is an absolute fucker though, no getting around that.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 29, 2012

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Levantine posted:

Not only that, FFV was the first major fan translation project. The fact that there was a whole new Final Fantasy game available only via emulator a relatively short time after the release of FF7 made software emulation a lot more widespread, and it proved that a group of volunteers could pull off a project of that magnitude. A huge chunk of the emulation/homebrew movement could be traced back to this game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody heard anything about Inquisitor since it hit Beta early this month?

edit: oh hey, a release date announcement! Looks like I know what I'll be doing on September 5th.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 29, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

niggapolis posted:

Saga Frontier 2 is one of my favorite games ever, it looks and sounds amazing even now so I dont see any reason you woudlnt enjoy it. As mentioned before there are two very bullshit parts in the game, but the strategy battle has a sure-fire but cheesy strategy if you get frustated, and the final dungeon isnt too bad as long as you realize that you cant backtrack or grind once you enter. The final boss is an absolute fucker though, no getting around that.

Have they really developed a "sure-fire" method since I last checked in 2010? I find it highly doubtful that they would since it's such a "dead language" topic. I tried a bunch of "sure-fire" methods from gamefaqs, none of which lived up to their names and all of which ended with me dying sooner than me trying my own thing. It's just a really, really badly-designed part of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best one I ever saw involved baiting the leader to the edge of the map and positioning your dudes so he'd more than likely retreat out of bounds after not you spam defend and hope you don't die.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

Have they really developed a "sure-fire" method since I last checked in 2010? I find it highly doubtful that they would since it's such a "dead language" topic. I tried a bunch of "sure-fire" methods from gamefaqs, none of which lived up to their names and all of which ended with me dying sooner than me trying my own thing. It's just a really, really badly-designed part of the game.

The three-turn-kill method works pretty consistently for me, though I agree it shouldn't be called 'sure fire.' It's just the best of a bad set of options.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Vittles posted:

The three-turn-kill method works pretty consistently for me, though I agree it shouldn't be called 'sure fire.' It's just the best of a bad set of options.

Yeah, thats the one I was talking about. I looked around and found it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091027113358/http://geocities.com/xo_pitseleh/moundtop.html

Its not sure-fire but things can only go wrong during turn 1 I think, so its easy to reset. Plus its incredibly satisfying to actually win the battle by mashing Fake Gustave to bits by surrounding him with arrow support.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody heard anything about Inquisitor since it hit Beta early this month?

edit: oh hey, a release date announcement! Looks like I know what I'll be doing on September 5th.

Looking at their website, this looks to be a Diablo clone? What's special about this game that you're looking forward to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Agnostalgia posted:

Looking at their website, this looks to be a Diablo clone? What's special about this game that you're looking forward to it?

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with a good diablo clone. Especially one that's only 12 bucks. And the whole be an inquisitor, find evidence, arrest heretics, hold trials thing could be really interesting if it's done well.