Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Holy poo poo why did no one tell me how good the Falcon is? Falcon + Demolisher's unlimited ammo = total lockdown. Sucks that it's in competition with the Harrier for my AR slot, but I'm favoring the Falcon.

It's also the perfect partner to the Piranha on my Destroyer.

I know it's killer with ammo powers because it can AOE the effects, but even on its own it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The game must REALLY want me to use an Acolyte, it's been throwing them at me since I got the MK1. about 12 PSP's and it's maxxed. Game, I got a Javelin I'd like higher than Mk2. Maybe you could give me a Hurricane? Start giving me Black Widow upgrades? I'll even take gear upgrades, I'd like a grenade pack mk V.

But no, if it's not tossing Acolytes it's Class cards. I got three N7 classes fully pimped out. Be nice if you could purchase weapons and stuff directly instead of buying random packs and hoping for the best.

Grumble, Grumble, whine, whine....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Psion posted:

Why don't I ever run into any of these people? I'll take a free 130k for no effort.

First try too!

I guess you could just go into lobbies and leave until you see a Striker, AR or Scorpion with no mods or consumables?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I had totally forgotten about the community goal when I got my +6 gel upgrade today

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Hey friends I have a Q, apparently the PC version of ME3 is on sale and I really wanna get it for my BF, my question is, could I buy the disc version and just give him the code in the manual? Would that be enough for him to DL it?

Or does he need the discs?
The $19.99 sale has both digital download and physical copy options. I'm not sure if there is a shipping charge for the physical copy. Basically, all you need is the product key which you enter into the Origin interface, and that serves as proof of purchase.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pumpking posted:

Another few hours of playing, another few hours of constant disconnects.

Sup. :argh::hf::mad:

Wave 9 and 10 disconnects all around!

Especially after you use a medi-gel.

Someone add me on Origin so I don't have to play against pubs. My username is GearBoxClock.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 2, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

After getting disconnected on wave 10, I went back to SP since I had only finished maybe a third of it.

I somehow got disconnected in singleplayer in the segment following Mordin (one of my favorite characters) dying and had to do the bit right before/after it again.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Elotana posted:

In terms of netcode, no, but there's a PC add-on from the Bioware forums that lets you ping lobbies, and most of the time you can get away with playing Vanguard if the host has <50 ping. So you can avoid it a little more reliably.

What is this wizardry and why has it not been discussed at length?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Got a couple of nice PSPs today.

Also, if you haven't tried it, pizza delivery missions can be more awesome. Get a running start at it, and when you reach the package, spam the space bar (or substitute your action key here) and you'll run while dropping and picking up the package. Corners are a bit wierd if you're hosting, but it makes for easy deliveries and it's kinda fun to boot.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I almost forgot about my Commendation pack. Ended up with a Valiant 5. *yawn*

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

TacticalGranny posted:

Also, if you haven't tried it, pizza delivery missions can be more awesome. Get a running start at it, and when you reach the package, spam the space bar (or substitute your action key here) and you'll run while dropping and picking up the package. Corners are a bit wierd if you're hosting, but it makes for easy deliveries and it's kinda fun to boot.

Say what you will about game balance but I think it would be awesome if Vanguards could charge while carrying the package. Infiltrators get an inherent advantage in the 4-hack objectives, why shouldn't Vanguards get them for the delivery objective? :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psion posted:

Why don't I ever run into any of these people? I'll take a free 130k for no effort.

Am I an rear end in a top hat for immediately reporting people doing this? It annoys me.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat for immediately reporting people doing this? It annoys me.
Nope! Though I didn't report anyone myself yet (:effort:), I always either kickvote or leave the lobby if there's an obvious cheater present. Sure, farming is lame as well, but it at least requires some effort and stays within the rules. The risk getting reprimanded for staying with an exploiter is admittedly very low unless you do it all day, but I'd rather take 10 minutes longer per round than gamble on getting my equipment reset or similar.

You never know, one day Bioware might figure out how hire a contractor to do SQL queries and gather Plat matches with < 15min wave 10 completion that had a Striker/Falcon/Scorpion involved for closer investigation. If that ever happens I don't want to show up in their reports with increased frequency.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I don't get why everyone is so anti cheating. I mean I don't do it, but if someone wants to help me get a free 75-130k I'm not going to run to Bioware and have a bitch. The way I see it it's recompense for all the times I've been DC'd and hosed out of stuff that costs real money.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

TacticalGranny posted:

Got a couple of nice PSPs today.

Not sure whether to be more jealous of the harrier 3 or the warfighter gear 4. Warfighter is one of the most useful gears and I cant get it above 2. Gear in general is rare as hens teeth for me.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Elotana posted:

The best double phantom kill:

Yesterday was my first try with Salarian Engineer and although my scores were never very high I feel like I was contributing significantly with decoy, energy drain and incinerate (on the bosses). The build I'm using is: Salarian Engineer Decoy Tank

Only thing is I'm having trouble finding a weapon (or weapons) I like with it. I like to keep spamming energy drain and be able to drop a new decoy at any moment so low cooldown is important. I experimented with carnifex II, mantis X, katana X, even the tempest. What do you guys bring for salgineer?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Rape Jake. posted:

I don't get why everyone is so anti cheating. I mean I don't do it, but if someone wants to help me get a free 75-130k I'm not going to run to Bioware and have a bitch. The way I see it it's recompense for all the times I've been DC'd and hosed out of stuff that costs real money.

Let me quote DS9 for a second. "I remember what [X] used to say about [Y]. That it didn't matter if he agreed with the taboo or not, because the price for breaking it was too high." You cheat one time too many, Bioware will realize it's a pattern and just ban you from MP forever. That is not a chance I am willing to take and I don't think I'm alone in that.

EDIT:
Beyond that, most of the people who get involved in cheating games didn't go into it looking to cheat themselves, so when they show up in a game ready to play legit, and then have to sit around for a bit, the dashed expectations can be annoying regardless of the 'free' credits.

It also breaks the spirit of the game much more than farming does, as the whole point is that you're trying to find a defensible position to hold off the enemy. That's precisely what farming is, except you already know where the defensible location is, perhaps through intel. Sure, it can be boring (though I've never found Plat farming to be; that's always a clusterfuck whether you're getting overrun or just ruining the enemy), but that's pretty much even with sitting around and watching someone missile everything.

Personally, the thing that sticks most in my craw is the idea that this person is trying to get a leg up. Not that they have one, mind, but that they're so out of the mindset of teamwork that they're loving with the game just to "beat" everyone else. Anyone that's that anti-teamwork I just don't want to play with.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 2, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Felinoid posted:

Let me quote DS9 for a second. "I remember what [X] used to say about [Y]. That it didn't matter if he agreed with the taboo or not, because the price for breaking it was too high." You cheat one time too many, Bioware will realize it's a pattern and just ban you from MP forever. That is not a chance I am willing to take and I don't think I'm alone in that.

If they banned every person that rode the coattails of cheaters I doubt there would be very many people left playing this game. I'm not saying it's safe to outright abuse the glitches that they have banned, but getting a free chunk of change every now and again is no biggie.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Rape Jake. posted:

If they banned every person that rode the coattails of cheaters I doubt there would be very many people left playing this game. I'm not saying it's safe to outright abuse the glitches that they have banned, but getting a free chunk of change every now and again is no biggie.

You're right, they don't ban EVERY person. But they look for patterns. Stay with cheaters too much, and they consider it a pattern. They've straight-up said that much, that they consider people benefitting from cheaters to be as culpable if they do it on purpose, and their best way of determining that is repeated instances. There's also the issue that for every few times you see someone cheating, there's probably a couple that you didn't notice. But they've got the data (even if you set feedback to off, a lot of it still gets recorded on their servers), and they will see it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheDK posted:

Yesterday was my first try with Salarian Engineer and although my scores were never very high I feel like I was contributing significantly with decoy, energy drain and incinerate (on the bosses). The build I'm using is: Salarian Engineer Decoy Tank

Only thing is I'm having trouble finding a weapon (or weapons) I like with it. I like to keep spamming energy drain and be able to drop a new decoy at any moment so low cooldown is important. I experimented with carnifex II, mantis X, katana X, even the tempest. What do you guys bring for salgineer?

I've been experimenting with the Salarian Engineer myself. Haven't found anything that really works with regards to weapons. Pistols don't really work for me as an engineer, so I tried a Harrier (mine is VI so I get decent cooldowns on it) but the Harrier is a boring workhorse. The Mattock is alright too if you don't mind carpal tunnel. The most fun combination I've found is a Scorpion + Hurricane.

The decoy doesn't feel like it does anything against Cerberus unless it's set beforehand, and Reaper bosses straight up ignore it most of the time (gently caress you Banshee for ignoring my preset decoy and teleporting through 2 goddamn walls to magnet hand me) but it makes Geth a walk in the park because they instantly target the thing.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I've seen a lot of SalEngs with the Indra, I think because it's relatively light, rapid fire but not a pea-shooter, has the 2x scope, and because Salarians have the sniper weight in their race tree.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

TheDK posted:

I always had the best luck with a Phalanx pistol on my salarian engineers. It just seemed to fit my play style and general lack of aiming ability the best. It gets a decent rate of fire and packs just enough punch to help fill in the gaps when I'm not spamming powers at something. There are better weapons, but none seemed to click for me like the Phalanx.

The comedy option is to use a Scorpion with cry-rounds equipped. Just go crazy freezing targets (if you hit them) and blowing them up with near misses. It's not the more effective strategy, but I find it thoroughly amusing to see explosions going off everywhere.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

TheDK posted:

I'm having trouble finding a weapon (or weapons) I like with it.
Talon + ULM. Secondary mod up to you but it should probably be the piercing one so you can deal with Guardians and are more effective vs. armor and cover. Scope if you really need the range.

Equip Disruptor ammo. Shoot -> ED/Incinerate. Tech Bursts all day err' day.

Thanks to ULM, the Talon has become my go-to gun whenever I'm playing a class that's not weapon focused. You can even throw in an ULM'd Hurricane on top as backup while retaining 200% cooldown. What makes it so good beside being the highest DPS pistol is it being a highly accurate, lightweight (with ULM) shotgun, and shooting multiple pellets instead of a single powerful shot increases your chances of the ammo power being applied by a significant margin. So the real magic behind it is the ammo power, specifically Disruptor ammo which primes Tech Bursts, but Cryo can work as a good crowd control tool as well. The other ammo powers are better suited to builds that aim to exploit the raw damage of the gun itself.

Consistently causing Tech Bursts is what makes the difference between being near the bottom and top of the scoreboard as "support" class, if you care about that kinda thing. If you're crafty and have at least one of your powers specced for AoE, you can even shoot two targets between cooldowns and pull off a double-Tech Burst, if they were close enough together.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

TheDK posted:

You might want to try the energy drain armor boost instead of the extra damage at rank 6, especially as you only have three ranks in fitness. Taking damage over radius at rank 3 pretty much makes up for the loss in damage at 6, but energy drain isnt a great offensive power by itself. Its good for keeping you alive and setting off tech bursts so I prefer to spend the points in 40% damage reduction which vs geth is a near constant buff. Its still pretty useful against cerberus but admittedly not much use against reapers, but thats when you go justicar or drell adept for the 40% reave buff instead :D

As for weapons I tried a sniper build but couldn't make it work. I had limited success with a raptor but I dont have any of the really good sniper rifles and I'm a bad sniper anyway. I used to take a carnifex 3 with AP and extended barrel until I got the talon, now I just use that with ultralight materials, AP and disruptor ammo and tech burst all day. Seriously the talon does not gently caress around its amazing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pumpking posted:

but energy drain isnt a great offensive power by itself.
Gonna have to disagree with this. It does triple damage against shields and barriers, so that damage boost at level 6 will actually be three times as large. And due to shield gating, you really want to be able to completely strip the shields instead of just mostly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Felinoid posted:

You're right, they don't ban EVERY person. But they look for patterns. Stay with cheaters too much, and they consider it a pattern. They've straight-up said that much, that they consider people benefitting from cheaters to be as culpable if they do it on purpose, and their best way of determining that is repeated instances. There's also the issue that for every few times you see someone cheating, there's probably a couple that you didn't notice. But they've got the data (even if you set feedback to off, a lot of it still gets recorded on their servers), and they will see it.
I mentioned in a report I sent out (and got a reply to, so they do look at them at least) that I didn't back out of the mission because it costs me consumables and I shouldn't get punished for someone else cheating. I leave in the lobby once the game is done, though.

I also don't understand the whole "pres butan to win" attitude. If I want to loving murder everything by pushing a single button I'll take my L20 human sniper with a BW into a bronze game. Which I do from time to time because it's fun to pop the heads off of every single Cerberus mook in there.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Paracelsus posted:

Gonna have to disagree with this. It does triple damage against shields and barriers, so that damage boost at level 6 will actually be three times as large. And due to shield gating, you really want to be able to completely strip the shields instead of just mostly.

Wow ok. Did not know that. Fair enough then. Damage reduction at rank 6 is still very useful though especially if you skimp on fitness.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Felinoid posted:

I've seen a lot of SalEngs with the Indra, I think because it's relatively light, rapid fire but not a pea-shooter, has the 2x scope, and because Salarians have the sniper weight in their race tree.

It's currently my go-to for White Platinum farming (still sticking with Piranha Geth for Glacier).

The cooldown works perfectly with cloak-prox-shoot and thanks to the range if you have someone keeping the enemy busy at the terminals you can hang out in the back and not die all the time.

--

I'm a bit concerned if Bioware is banning people who play a lot with cheaters. I don't go looking for them by a long shot and I sometimes report but it seems like these days every other Platinum game has a missile glitcher. I don't quit if I've spent decent equipment on the mission.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Two Finger posted:

Eh.

I got into it with a Bioware employee (not a dev, a writer) about this a little while ago. I don't cheat, I'm not a cheater. I don't pay 60 bucks for a game just so I can do exploits that completely take the teeth out of said game. On the other hand, I think this game's multiplayer is too structurally flawed (many bugs from day 1 still present, many bugs they SAID had been patched out are still in the game, more bugs show up with every DLC, EA's servers are garbage, the store system is garbage), too unbalanced (Banshees), and too based in bad faith in general (BUY OUR PACKS :signings:) for anybody to be able get self-righteous about it when people do decide to just circumvent all that bullshit. If Bioware has a problem with cheaters, maybe they shouldn't make cheating such an enticing option.

As far as reporting them goes, whatever. I strongly doubt anything actually happens to these guys. If Bioware doesn't care about having a structurally sound game, why would they care about cheaters? The fact that these guys are still running around tearing up Platinum indicates to me that Bioware isn't doing much about it.

However, guys who do the missile exploit and don't give you a heads up to disable all your level III and IV consumables first are the scum of the earth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elotana posted:

I would say go 6/6/6/4/4 to see what you like and then use a card later. Use proxies to debuff things before you shoot and e-drain when you need shields. Taking Bonus Power for rank 6 will let you e-drain, proxy, and then shoot, all under the cloak bonus.

And don't use the Vindicator its a piece of poo poo (even by assault rifle standards). Either take a shotgun and get in people's faces or take a sniper rifle and go long.

Sorry, I meant Valiant...not vindicator.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

VJeff posted:

If Bioware doesn't care about having a structurally sound game, why would they care about cheaters?

Because they care about the appearance of one. If it looks like they do something about cheaters - whether or not they're solving the problem, or actually catching most or all of them - then other people tend to be content.

It's seriously a smoke and mirrors kinda thing. Appearance but as little substance as possible (substance = costs money. apperaance = doesn't)

This isn't unique to Bioware. I've seen this play out over more games than I can count.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
So, taking the advice of this thread, I ran a Talon with Disruptor Ammo on a Salarian Engineer, and yeah, the tech bursting is pretty cool. I happened to get dropped into a Geth game, too, so Energy Drain and Decoy worked out nicely.

That said, if N7 Paladin didn't have the silly quirk of having tech bursts you trigger with Snap Freeze being centered on you, I wouldn't give the SalEng another look. Incinerate on either is pretty much solely a tech burst trigger, and Decoy feels a little too uneven - amazing against Geth, not so good against everything else.

That reminds me: is there anyone here with an effective Incinerate-centric build? It's not quite as "SKIP THIS" as Concussive Shot, but on most builds I either skip it or drop three points in it "just in case". Same question for Carnage, I guess. Neither seems very worthwhile.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I report every missile glitcher I come across. If you're so bad at this easy rear end game you have to cheat then do it in a private lobby. Don't ruin my fun.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What the gently caress is with this game...

Playing a geth gold farming mission, one geth hunter is left and will NOT die...we ran around chasing him for 2 minutes before someone was able to melee him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nwin posted:

Playing a geth gold farming mission, one geth hunter is left and will NOT die...we ran around chasing him for 2 minutes before someone was able to melee him.

I've had this problem before and I had to quit because literally nothing would kill the guy. It was kind of infuriating.

Synonamess Botch posted:

I report every missile glitcher I come across. If you're so bad at this easy rear end game you have to cheat then do it in a private lobby. Don't ruin my fun.

That is an incredibly glib way of looking at it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Gatac posted:

That said, if N7 Paladin didn't have the silly quirk of having tech bursts you trigger with Snap Freeze being centered on you, I wouldn't give the SalEng another look. Incinerate on either is pretty much solely a tech burst trigger, and Decoy feels a little too uneven - amazing against Geth, not so good against everything else.

Although it won't always happen, it's amazing when a boss goes for the decoy and attack it with futility. Particularly when it's a Banshee since they just look at it stupidly wondering why it can't grab it while you and your teammates focus fire it to death. I don't score that amazingly well with a Salarian Engineer but I can usually stay alive using the Decoy to draw fire while I attack from cover, flank, or retreat. You usually have to plop it somewhere pretty open so that the enemies will see it before they see you or a teammate.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This game finally coughed up an N7 Destroyer for me. I know missile launcher is still stupid, but what's the fun way to set up multifrag and devastator mode?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gatac posted:

That said, if N7 Paladin didn't have the silly quirk of having tech bursts you trigger with Snap Freeze being centered on you

That's pretty much the best thing about it! It's like having the old 360 degree ballistic blades again.

I was testing the Paladin on Bronze to try to confirm that the tech burst really does emanate from the character and it isn't just a graphical glitch. Near as I can tell, it does, but that's nice because it keeps enemies out of your space.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

As far as reporting them goes, whatever. I strongly doubt anything actually happens to these guys. If Bioware doesn't care about having a structurally sound game, why would they care about cheaters? The fact that these guys are still running around tearing up Platinum indicates to me that Bioware isn't doing much about it.

However, guys who do the missile exploit and don't give you a heads up to disable all your level III and IV consumables first are the scum of the earth.

The weird thing is they do bans in "waves". Compile investigations of reports for a month or two and then BAM, all of a sudden there's a thousand people that can't access the multiplayer anymore. It may seem like they're not doing anything when the guy you reported is still playing a couple weeks later, but unless they gently caress up (hey, this is Bioware we're talking about :sigh:), he's not going to be around for much longer.

nwin posted:

There was a hunter in one Gold game I played that was immune to everything... except Warp Bubble. It took us a few minutes to figure out what the one thing that did any damage to it was, since we were all trying things, but once we did, it was just a matter of reviving each other when he deigned to shoot and keeping the bubble on him until he eventually dropped. And then the waves 8-10 were completely normal. Weirdest drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Psion posted:

This game finally coughed up an N7 Destroyer for me. I know missile launcher is still stupid, but what's the fun way to set up multifrag and devastator mode?

Multi-Frag: Force & Damage, Force & Damage, Grenade Count.
Devastator Mode: Accuracy, Rate of Fire, Damage.

• Locked thread