Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Megalixir posted:

How does the Darkmoon Covenant ring work? Does it only invade people within a certain level of you?

I have a level 6 darkwraith but I'm getting bored of it, I did it for over 200 hours with the PS3 version already. Ganking newbies with Great Combustion is too easy.

You can invade free of level limits in Dark Anor Londo, using the blue orb has the same level restrictions apparently as sunbroing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

FrickenMoron posted:

You can invade free of level limits in Dark Anor Londo, using the blue orb has the same level restrictions apparently as sunbroing.

So I have to kill Gwynevere? How do I stay in the Darkmoon covenant then?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Not Eek posted:

I've been playing only little bits at a time since release and I've just joined The Warriors of Sunlight. There's something empowering about literally throwing a bolt of lightning at somebody.

Also, is this one of those games where pretty much any weapon is viable? Or is my Divine Claymore going to become a heap of crap somewhere along the line?

Depends. In PvP there's a pretty well defined group of weapons because their movesets are so good PS Claymore is one of them.

In PvE anything will work great assuming the weapon is tailored to your build. Certain things will probably kill things faster but it's PvE so unless it's a speedrun who cares.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
No, you have to wear the Darkmoon ring and then you can be called to invade other players who run through THEIR dark Anor Londo. Sorta like the forest covenant PVP! Using the blue eye orb has restrictions levelwise.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

FrickenMoron posted:

No, you have to wear the Darkmoon ring and then you can be called to invade other players who run through THEIR dark Anor Londo. Sorta like the forest covenant PVP! Using the blue eye orb has restrictions levelwise.

That's what I've been doing, I'm sitting here in front of O/S with the ring on and nothing. I invaded a Japanese player an hour ago, that was it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well that's about the frequency I had forest invasions, so I left the covenant. You're probably too high for using the blue orb.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can you get weapons that curse other players?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Depends. In PvP there's a pretty well defined group of weapons because their movesets are so good PS Claymore is one of them.

In PvE anything will work great assuming the weapon is tailored to your build. Certain things will probably kill things faster but it's PvE so unless it's a speedrun who cares.

Oh, awesome. Guess I'll just continue whacking poo poo as usual then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Time constraints happened when they were making it.

...there straight-up wasn't enough humanity or souls in the game if you were playing it as they intended (i.e, without grinding.)

Boy do I remember that. Humanity was rare as hell when the game first launched. What a pain that was.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

My victory against Artorius let me get all of the spells with the exception of pursuers. Obviously, I needed to do some phantoming. Holy poo poo, Dark Bead vs Quelaag. Hoooly poo poo. To think that I thought Homing Crystal Soulmass took her out fast. If you can get close enough that all of your dark bead shotgun hits, you can turn large monsters inside out in record time.

You should try out the Manus Catalyst with dark sorceries, if you can. It causes dark sorceries to do more damage than with the tin crystal catalyst, although I don't know what your stats are.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

McGrady posted:

You should try out the Manus Catalyst with dark sorceries, if you can. It causes dark sorceries to do more damage than with the tin crystal catalyst, although I don't know what your stats are.

I kind of want to make an INT character for when the DLC hits consoles now

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Not Eek posted:

Oh, awesome. Guess I'll just continue whacking poo poo as usual then.

Yeah, claymore has a good moveset and Divine isn't a bad weapon line if you have decent faith.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man I have no idea how I'm going to beat Artorias. Everything after the Lordvessel has been complete cake for me so far but he's just completely wrecking my poo poo. I'm wearing a full suit of the new armor and even with Ring of Steel Protection he can kill me in 2-3 hits. My +8 Fire Claymore doesn't do poo poo against him and the only Pyromancy that'll even dent his health is Great Fireball and that's only good for 4 uses and maybe 1/3 of his health if I can land all of them.

Iron Flesh loving blows because he's so strong he can still stagger me with some attacks and it barely negates damage. Is he just strong against all fire attacks or is he just that tough of a boss?

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Man I have no idea how I'm going to beat Artorias. Everything after the Lordvessel has been complete cake for me so far but he's just completely wrecking my poo poo. I'm wearing a full suit of the new armor and even with Ring of Steel Protection he can kill me in 2-3 hits. My +8 Fire Claymore doesn't do poo poo against him and the only Pyromancy that'll even dent his health is Great Fireball and that's only good for 4 uses and maybe 1/3 of his health if I can land all of them.

Iron Flesh loving blows because he's so strong he can still stagger me with some attacks and it barely negates damage. Is he just strong against all fire attacks or is he just that tough of a boss?

He's incredibly easy to either block, or dodge. Whack him out of his charge-up move as well so he continues to do no damage.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lagos posted:

Tweaked my gear a little to make Four Kings easy.

But at what cost?!

You should be ashamed to be wearing the mask of the father. Build up endurance like a man. :colbert:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Is the Dried Finger useful for something?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

Is the Dried Finger useful for something?

Use it in human form in the forest, painted world, duke's, or the kiln. Something special happens!

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Finished the Crystal Caves, I've never been so happy to be finished with a place before. :argh: I had a LOT more trouble with the shells than the boss, god help you if they swarm.

Can someone give me a hint on what stat I should work on next? I was thinking on continuing upping my endurance/vitality (since I'm terrible at this game), but I honestly have no idea.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I beat Artorias earlier today after being stuck on him for about a day. Now I've talked to Hawkeye Gough because I want to fight Kalameet but whenever I enter his arena he just toasts me repeatedly.

Yodzilla posted:

If you whack him 3 times while he's charging up for abyss super sayin mode, you'll stagger him and he won't do the extra buttloads of damage. I had luck using the ring of favour and protection, havel's ring, enough armour to get me some poise while being under 25% carry and the green herbs the guy across the bridge from the arena sells. I also found that if you back him into the walls of the arena he's much easier to deal with with him rolling away.

e: VVV Where is that, down the ladder in the valley? That's where I've been trying to go.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 3, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Ignimbrite posted:

I beat Artorias earlier today after being stuck on him for about a day. Now I've talked to Hawkeye Gough because I want to fight Kalameet but whenever I enter his arena he just toasts me repeatedly.

If you whack him 3 times while he's charging up for abyss super sayin mode, you'll stagger him and he won't do the extra buttloads of damage. I had luck using the ring of favour and protection, havel's ring, enough armour to get me some poise while being under 25% carry and the green herbs the guy across the bridge from the arena sells. I also found that if you back him into the walls of the arena he's much easier to deal with with him rolling away.

You need to go into K's arena.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Can someone give me a hint on what stat I should work on next? I was thinking on continuing upping my endurance/vitality (since I'm terrible at this game), but I honestly have no idea.

Keep putting points into vit/end. Only really level strength/dex if you wanna use a particular weapon. And even then, I'd probably only level strength so I wouldn't spread my stats too thin.

Become a Darkmoon and get to Rank 1 to get the best talisman for your type of character. At least that's what I would do.

After that I dunno. Do the new content if you want since you have the item to get there.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Become a Darkmoon and get to Rank 1 to get the best talisman for your type of character. At least that's what I would do.

Thanks for the advice!
However, won't joining the Darkmoon reset my Warrior of Sunlight progress? Those medals were kinda a pain to get, and I do like the Lightning Spear. :ohdear:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What weapon is advisable for a sorcerer to use? I've put in lots of time with str, dex, and faith builds on ps3. But I'm not sure what I should be shooting for with sorceries... Just pick a weapon I like with minimal str and dex investments and make it enchanted? Right now in considering going with one of the katanas.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sitting here at work on Labor Day twiddling my thumbs like an idiot, thinking about Dark Souls.

My guy's at level 39, where would be a good place to drop my white sign? I want to pick up a bunch of humanity I lost last night and if I could smack a boss or two so I could finally join the sun covenant it would be a bonus. I was dropping it in the depths and New Londo when I was messing around there but I think I'm way too high level for those.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Sitting here at work on Labor Day twiddling my thumbs like an idiot, thinking about Dark Souls.

My guy's at level 39, where would be a good place to drop my white sign? I want to pick up a bunch of humanity I lost last night and if I could smack a boss or two so I could finally join the sun covenant it would be a bonus. I was dropping it in the depths and New Londo when I was messing around there but I think I'm way too high level for those.

New Londo is actually a pretty high level area, 39 might be too low. When in doubt Try O+S, people need the most help there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I haven't run into those guys yet because I've been trying to explore everywhere I can before doing Blighttown and ringing the second bell.

Looks like I may finally have to bite that bullet.

AFTER investigating New Londo and the valley of drakes :getin:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Thanks for the advice!
However, won't joining the Darkmoon reset my Warrior of Sunlight progress? Those medals were kinda a pain to get, and I do like the Lightning Spear. :ohdear:

You can still using lightning spears. It's only Sunlight Spear you can't use

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dragonwagon posted:

I have a question:

Is it possible to reach that corpse on the bottom right of the pic somehow?
I can't see any way there. The place is just outside Firelink Shrine towards Undead Burg.

Even easier method: rest at firelink, Drop down from above, get the ring, use homeward bone

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What are the best ways to farm titanite chunks?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

VisAbsoluta posted:

What are the best ways to farm titanite chunks?

Darkwraiths in drained New Londo or Black Knights in the Kiln.

Those giants right before Ornstein and Smough can also drop them, but it's a low drop rate and they're colossal pains in the rear end to kill.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 3, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ignimbrite posted:

I took most of this advice and pretty much kicked his rear end! My problem was:

1) I completely forgot about the Ring of Favor and Protection
2) I didn't know about the green herbs
3) I never upgraded my shield so now I'm rocking a +5 Silver Knight Shield with hella stability
4) I was still mis-timing his attacks

It's a shame you can't upgrade the Guardian set of armor though. This poo poo rocks.

e: there's some good PVP going on in the town right after that fight too

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

What weapon is advisable for a sorcerer to use? I've put in lots of time with str, dex, and faith builds on ps3. But I'm not sure what I should be shooting for with sorceries... Just pick a weapon I like with minimal str and dex investments and make it enchanted? Right now in considering going with one of the katanas.

Moonlight Greatsword is pretty amazing for end-game since it deals pure magic damage and gets S-rank bonus solely from intelligence. And it boosts your magic defense and has a special attack. Takes 16 str to wield with one hand.

Other than that, pretty much any decent weapon upgraded to magic/enchanted will work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I start a new game+, do I lose all the boss armors I've obtained, like Golem Armor from Doomhall?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 3, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Azraden posted:

Woo, finally got The Dark Soul achievement after going for the The Dark Lord ending on NG++! Well, kinda. The achievement popped up (I even took a screenshot in Steam) and yet it doesn't show up in my GFWL/Xbox account. (it shows me as having 40/41, with The Dark Soul missing). :v: GFWL.

Has anyone else had that problem with GFWL or X-box?

I didn't get the 4-kings achievement for whatever reason. Hoping that it doesn't lock me out of the "all achievements' one and that NG+ unlocks it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You can still using lightning spears. It's only Sunlight Spear you can't use

And the sunlight spear sucks. Takes two slots for five uses.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

I took most of this advice and pretty much kicked his rear end! My problem was:

1) I completely forgot about the Ring of Favor and Protection
2) I didn't know about the green herbs
3) I never upgraded my shield so now I'm rocking a +5 Silver Knight Shield with hella stability
4) I was still mis-timing his attacks

It's a shame you can't upgrade the Guardian set of armor though. This poo poo rocks.

e: there's some good PVP going on in the town right after that fight too

I found that sorcery works on them pretty well too. Smough gets destroyed by the Soul Spells, and Super Orenstein can get hung up on the broken pillars if you keep one between you and him. You should still be able to get your various attack spells over the stumps, but his lunge attacks will be blocked.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Okay I just entered the depths for the first time. Got past the butcher no problem, but then jumped into the secret hole behind his little table. Oh poo poo a giant rat, well this isn't too bad I think I can w-- OH poo poo fell down some waterfall, now I'm in even deeper and don't know how the gently caress to get back. Oh god what are these things spewing fog and the rats are huge and I'm dead.

Overall I could be pretty mad about all this but I'm not. I just wish I had a chance of recovering the 11000 souls I was carrying.

Anyways, I assume there are some optional areas and quests to be found, right? At what character level or point in the game should I start actually looking for them?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I've been having a lot of fun Gravelording in this game thus far, but now, as of late, nearly every single fight has devolved into a game of schrödingers stab. Is there any way of avoiding this situation besides rolling/counterstabbing? Are there any PvP viable builds out there that could help me deal with it in a way other than engaging in lagstabbing dudes myself? Like, I don't know, some gimmick or ranged build or whatever?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Okay I just entered the depths for the first time. Got past the butcher no problem, but then jumped into the secret hole behind his little table. Oh poo poo a giant rat, well this isn't too bad I think I can w-- OH poo poo fell down some waterfall, now I'm in even deeper and don't know how the gently caress to get back. Oh god what are these things spewing fog and the rats are huge and I'm dead.

Overall I could be pretty mad about all this but I'm not. I just wish I had a chance of recovering the 11000 souls I was carrying.

Anyways, I assume there are some optional areas and quests to be found, right? At what character level or point in the game should I start actually looking for them?

For someone going through the game in the intended sequence, there are only 5 optional areas, and 1 of them is tiny and 1 of them you are very likely to encounter going through the main quest. The new DLC is entirely optional as well. If you're in the Depths, you're about 1/4 through the game. Once you finish about half the game, the rest opens enough that you can and should explore at your leisure.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

I've been having a lot of fun Gravelording in this game thus far, but now, as of late, nearly every single fight has devolved into a game of schrödingers stab. Is there any way of avoiding this situation besides rolling/counterstabbing? Are there any PvP viable builds out there that could help me deal with it in a way other than engaging in lagstabbing dudes myself? Like, I don't know, some gimmick or ranged build or whatever?

If you hit someone who is backstabbing you, it cancels the damage from the backstab and cancels the damage you do to them. It will still go through the backstab animation though. A weapon with a wide swinging arc will discourage backstabs and can dead angle people who are trying to circle around you.

tractor fanatic fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Most true ranged options like crossbows and projectile sorceries are pretty bad for PvP honestly. Bows are typically better, but not super common either. If you want to mitigate people trying to close in on you for lagstabs you probably want to use AOE spells like the Firestorm series and the super powerful Wrath of The Gods. Homing Soul Mass and it's stronger brother are also useful in the sorcery tree, and Great Fireball/Great Chaos Fireball have huge hitboxes as well. A lot of the new Darkness based spells seem useful in this regard as well.

For weapons, Zwei and Large Club are weapons with particularly wide swing moves to keep people out, but require a good amount of strength to use.

But lag backstab will always be useful and something to watch out for. It's much dumber on console, since with the right equipment setup 95% of the playerbase is gonna get one shot by it, even if they too are PvP specced.

• Locked thread