Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

Game looks absolutely adorable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

That looks pretty drat cute. I'm getting the impression it's more of a fishing version of Harvest Moon than it is an adventure game per se, but that's fine too.

...I kinda wish this was a handheld console game, actually. It looks like the perfect game for my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that is one Kickstarter game I wish they were thinking of iOS for.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Nobody has mentioned it so far, but if they give every KS backer a Steam key and also a GoG key, then essentially you get two copies of the game for the price of one. People who hate Steam can just give away those keys, and people who love it can give away the others.

Or they could have people indicate which type they wanted in their backer survey and only send the appropriate one to each backer.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sefer posted:

Or they could have people indicate which type they wanted in their backer survey and only send the appropriate one to each backer.

Oh right. That would make a lot of sense. I feel dumb now.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MikeJF posted:

That looks pretty drat cute. I'm getting the impression it's more of a fishing version of Harvest Moon than it is an adventure game per se, but that's fine too.

...I kinda wish this was a handheld console game, actually. It looks like the perfect game for my pocket.

Good thing for you they already made a fishing version of Harvest Moon for handheld consoles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, that is one Kickstarter game I wish they were thinking of iOS for.

Yeah, it does look like something that would be great on the go. I sent the guy/girl running it a message asking whether they'd consider iOS as a stretch goal, so I'll let you know what they say if they get back to me.

EDIT: They said it's pretty much not going to happen:

clairvoire posted:

Hello!

An iOS version may be unlikely, but only because I'm really unfamiliar with the platform. It would also require a complete redesign taking touch controls into consideration. Were time to allow it, there'd be no question! But the next 9 months are looking to be pretty hectic as it were, ahaha.

Seems like a pretty reasonable reason not to do one.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 17, 2012

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

macnbc posted:

Exactly. I think what's most likely going on is they're debating whether or not they want it to be DRM-free or not, rather than a question of if it's feasible.

I doubt it, I'd put money on them just trying to put at least a tentative agreement together with someone like GOG so they can announce it as "Our awesome friends at <x> will be providing a DRM-free download for those that want it". There's 29 more days to go before they actually take anyone's money, give them a chance.

I actually really appreciate it when people say "We're looking into it" on a Kickstarter. It always results in flack for not committing, but I think it shows that they're listening to criticism but actually taking the time to feel things out rather than just blindly jumping into something.

In this example, the problem isn't the DRM itself (obviously for those getting a physical copy it's just a case of not baking in Steamworks), it's fulfilment for those of us that aren't shelling out $65+. Sure serving a file 'aint rocket science, but we're talking about authenticating tens of thousands of people and providing them with multiple-gigabytes of data (so it'd better be a resumable download) in a short space of time. I would certainly want to research my options and come up with a vague plan before explicitly committing to serving hundreds of terabytes over the course of a few days in a fast and user friendly way.

Though the point that they should have offered it in the first place is a very valid one.

Illessa fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 17, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'know what I'd like as a distant stretch goal for Project: Eternity?

A good intuitive editor and mod system. I mean, games like this usually lend themselves to being extended pretty drat well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Illessa posted:

I doubt it, I'd put money on them just trying to put at least a tentative agreement together with someone like GOG so they can announce it as "Our awesome friends at <x> will be providing a DRM-free download for those that want it". There's 29 more days to go before they actually take anyone's money, give them a chance.

I actually really appreciate it when people say "We're looking into it" on a Kickstarter. People always take flack for not committing, but I think it shows that they're listening to criticism but actually taking the time to feel things out rather than just blindly jumping into something.

When you promise every feature that everyone asks for as soon as they ask for it then you have a disaster-in-the-making like the Ouya. Which made 8 million dollars so gently caress it I guess.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Am I the only one a little disgusted that Project: Eternity got $1,100,000+ with zero game footage? They have an impressive resume and I really need an RPG to recover from Diablo III but come on.

First I've ever heard of Ouya and I can't wait to watch this trainwreck.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Probably not, but, I mean, this is like the fifth time this sort of thing has happened

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Chunjee posted:

Am I the only one a little disgusted that Project: Eternity got $1,100,000+ with zero game footage? They have an impressive resume and I really need an RPG to recover from Diablo III but come on.

Without the money no game will be made - of course there is no footage. You think that by having alpha footage the project would be protected from failure? On Kickstarter there are both games which need the cash to pull them through the major stage of development and they can showcase a demo. Then there are promises, ideas, whatever you call it, and those won't happen without the money.

Am I disgusted? More like thrilled! Ff this is going to be a trainwreck I'll be very surprised considering their track record.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chunjee posted:

I can't imagine what game footage would tell me about the project. They're a big company with credible people, so I know the game will be made. What will 3 minutes of footage tell me? Will it somehow confirm that the game will be good or have good story/writing/exploration? No, it won't do any of that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It will certainly be interesting to see what Obsidian produces without publisher pressure but also without a publisher's deep pockets, resources and deadlines. Could go either way in my estimation, especially since they have a reputation for producing buggy games with a lot of planned content cut out.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Chunjee posted:

The top 5 most successful Kickstarters in the Video Game category are Ouya, Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Planetary Annihilation and Shadowrun Returns. Of those, only Planetary Annihilation had anything substantial to show. If Eternity and Homestuck exceed PA (seems likely), we'll be five for five.

Fanbase and nostalgia will get you everywhere.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Even PA's presentation was entirely concept art.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

That rhythm shooter updated with a two stage demo.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

Pretty nice, they already hit their third stretch. I hope shipping all those physical copies doesn't hurt their bottom line too much though.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I can't imagine what game footage would tell me about the project. They're a big company with credible people, so I know the game will be made. What will 3 minutes of footage tell me? Will it somehow confirm that the game will be good or have good story/writing/exploration? No, it won't do any of that.

I guess this does make a lot of sense. I totally forgot about Shadowrun and some of those others that look really promising with no gameplay at the moment.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Illessa posted:

The top 5 most successful Kickstarters in the Video Game category are Ouya, Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Planetary Annihilation and Shadowrun Returns. Of those, only Planetary Annihilation had anything substantial to show. If Eternity and Homestuck exceed PA (seems likely), we'll be five for five.

Fanbase and nostalgia will get you everywhere.

Double Fine, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and now Eternity are all basically banking on the "gameplay footage" from their previous similar games. Those KSs practically promised NOT to do anything unexpected and just give you another fresh pass down a previously trod path that we know you love. Which is totally 100% fine, but it's apple and oranges to someone who doesn't have a back catalog of producing industry leaders in this exact thing they're trying to do now.

e: I backed all of them and it never occurred to me to expect them to have work in progress to show.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

e: I backed all of them and it never occurred to me to expect them to have work in progress to show.

Me neither. I always treat Kickstarter projects as the literal meaning of "Kickstart"... or to get a project started. That means while I would expect a vision or concept, possibly even concept art to go with, I wouldn't expect anything substantial to be produced yet, because at that point it's already started.

I think people who've jumped on the Kickstarter bandwagon most recently just see it as some sort of elaborate preorder system, when I think the original theory of the site is to get projects going from the ground level. You're selling people on the idea of a product, rather than the finished product itself.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Double Fine, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and now Eternity are all basically banking on the "gameplay footage" from their previous similar games. Those KSs practically promised NOT to do anything unexpected and just give you another fresh pass down a previously trod path that we know you love. Which is totally 100% fine, but it's apple and oranges to someone who doesn't have a back catalog of producing industry leaders in this exact thing they're trying to do now.

Absolutely. Sorry, my last sentence probably sounded judgemental. Hell the Double Fine boards have at various times been awash with complaints of people objecting to the visual style and saying it should be more like <insert-classic-point-and-click-here>. Same thing with the stuff Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns are slowly trickling out. People are backing these things because they have clear expectations as to what the end result will be (and to make a statement about abandoned genres of course), and the devs are courting that. Will be interesting to see how much fallout there is - I fully expect all these nostalgia projects to result in solid games, or at least interesting ones; but a chunk of people are inevitably going to be disappointed when their particular favorite aspects are not prioritised.

Unknowns are less likely to hit that problem, but have the much bigger initial issue of simply grabbing people's attention without the industry connections or pre-established fanbase to stomp around making noise for you.

I've backed 5/7 - not interested in Ouya or Homestuck, though almost all at pretty low levels since I'm not rich/passionate/daring enough to really sink cash into something that might not turn out quite how I'm hoping.

The exception being DFA, since I'm a massive DF fangirl and figured the dev interaction and documentary alone would make it worth my cash. So far that's worked out quite well :dance:.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Chunjee posted:

Tim Schafer didn't have any idea of what his adventure game would be beyond "An adventure game" at the time of his pitch. If I recall from the making-of videos, he only started to come up with ideas for the game after the end of the funding period.

At least apparently Obsidian did a little bit of world-building before officially starting the campaign. I'd say they're ahead of the curve.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rope Kid just posted some foundational details about what Eternity will entail, if that brings anyone off the fence (in either direction)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Scrumble Ship might be the next to pull what Castle Story managed. It's doing something pretty unique with voxels, and already looks fun to goof around with.

(build spaceships out of blocks, build air-tight hulls, wire up some thrusters, and fly around blasting voxel-precise holes in other ships - sending their crew men zipping off into space, eventually)

It looks like he's even modeling the melting point and heat transmissive abilities of various materials. You can also build a spaceship out of butter.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shalinor posted:

Scrumble Ship might be the next to pull what Castle Story managed. It's doing something pretty unique with voxels, and already looks fun to goof around with.

(build spaceships out of blocks, build air-tight hulls, wire up some thrusters, and fly around blasting voxel-precise holes in other ships - sending their crew men zipping off into space, eventually)

It looks like he's even modeling the melting point and heat transmissive abilities of various materials. You can also build a spaceship out of butter.

You pretty much has me at building a spaceship out of butter. I didn't even need to view his video.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So Sealark that totally awesome looking Cave Story/Earthbound/Animal Crossing hybrid has hit its last concrete stretch goal and is now going after the tv channels (including MOTHER loving SHARK WEEK). As seen in this update.

quote:

Bonus fish, Television, final reward tier, and final milestone unlocked!
Update #4 · Sep. 18, 2012 · 10 comments
I can't even put to words what I'm feeling right now. Just know that I'm typing this while cartwheeling into space. You folks are unbelievably amazing! Thank you all so much!

There will be 150 official fish in the game! And 1 not so official!

And TV! And simulated weather, but really who's interested in that when you have TV! In spirit of this milestone, a new reward tier has been added at $50, and yes, this includes more physical copies! The next stretch goal will add a new channel for every additional 2000 raised. The channels are my way of wrapping up additional content for the game, so with every channel, may come new characters, locations, lore, and gameplay!

The last stretch goal

I cannot promise more content for the game after 30,000. It's going to be stuffed to the brim as it is, and I'm dead set on keeping the 9 month deadline! However! Every penny is getting sunk into this game no matter what. So my plan is this. Should we reach 30,000, I will begin an expansion after releasing Sealark, to be released free to everyone who owns the game! By making an expansion, I allow myself the time needed to work on the additional content for the game. I want to make this clear though, should this last goal be hit, nothing from the main game will be pushed into the expansion. It'll be entirely bonus content for a complete game!

I'll have some previews of the fish and television in the coming days! Until then, thank you all again for all your support! You are all the best!

I think the really interesting thing is that she's willing to go for less money, or at least is not willing to make really crazy promises/stretch goals to try to get more money out of her backers. It shows a really interesting sense of professionalism rarely seen on KS (or, really, in general) to go "Look, I have X amount of extra content planned and that's it. Any extra money you want to give me is great but I can't produce any more in the timeframe I want to release the game in with more money."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shalinor posted:

- Any shape possible
- Organic ships
- Butter ships

I cannot wait for the gigantic penis spaceships propelled by butter.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Infinitum posted:

- Any shape possible
- Organic ships
- Butter ships

I cannot wait for the gigantic penis spaceships propelled by butter.
Wouldn't a penis spaceship instead shoot melted butter, to patter uselessly against the titanium hull of the Chastity 9000?

Or I guess it would be both, propellant and projectile.

EDIT: ahem, the point here is that this is the kind of theorycrafting that the Kickstarter will lead to. That alone is worth a few bucks.

EDIT2: Unrelated, Pamplemousse is getting blog updates now. I'm really digging the style.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 19, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Every come-on has an equal and opposite rejection.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Here's a very promising project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive?ref=category

An RTS/base defense game set on a spherical asteroid, with deformable terrain. You control a general-purpose lunar-lander-style construction vehicle, with the ability to lift buildings up and drop them where you want. Professional pitch video, too.

This is scratching itches I didn't know I had.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Rhythm Destruction put up a demo, check it out if you like rhythm games or shooters:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhythmdestruction/rhythm-destruction-a-rhythm-and-shoot-em-up-game-f/posts

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So this is floating around at the moment:

http://www.destructoid.com/publishers-accused-of-trying-to-exploit-kickstarter-235292.phtml

Obsidian posted:

We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

Um, lol? No, that's not quite the term for it...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why on earth would publishers think anyone would ever take that deal?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Why on earth would publishers think anyone would ever take that deal?

quote:

"I think they were trying, honestly, to be able to do something with us and they felt that was the easiest way to do it. They would then not need to go get budget approved and deal with the challenge of that," he wrote in a follow-up post. "What I don't think they did was to think about our side of it and what they were really asking."

Got it from here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119668-Obsidian-CEO-Publishers-Are-Trying-to-Sneak-Into-Kickstarter

So basically according to Feargus they just weren't thinking

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I feel like this is something Sega would have felt was a great idea to propose. They're so ridiculously budget minded as a publisher that their idea of marketing is to release games on the same day as major blockbusters and hoping people pick up their games. :downs:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thanks for digging up the rest of it. It's nice to have more context. :)

Frankly, that doesn't really make it any better, but still.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I suspect the fact that a lot of those publishers probably believe physical stores are still relevant has something to do with why they think their offer might be a useful one.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Quarex posted:

I suspect the fact that a lot of those publishers probably believe physical stores are still relevant has something to do with why they think their offer might be a useful one.

They still are, though?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Not for PC games, comparatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Of course, one of the main reasons Kickstarters tend to produce PC games is because of a lack of traditional publishers for console distribution.

Although I suspect it's also that they tend to work in niche game genres or types that wouldn't adapt to a console as well, but hey.