Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord Banana posted:

Sorry, I wasn't super clear. People shouldn't be putting up major spoilers, but sometimes you can't explain things properly without talking about minor spoilers. If you absolutely do not want to hear spoilers for a game, you shouldn't go searching for tips, because you'll probably read something somewhere that will spoil something.
Yeah, there's a certain minimal level of information your'e gonna have. Otherwise you'd have advice like "don't go there, you know, that one place, before you get a certain plot item, you'll know when you get it, wink wink".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Centipeed, I kind of love that you are in that rare class of person who can see dramatic and largely uninformed criticism of something you have spent a lot of time working on, and rather than just understandably roll your eyes and keep doing what you are doing, you look at the small subset of interesting suggestions they are making and think maybe it could be improved.

What I am saying, basically, is: Centipeed for Emperor of Europe.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Quarex posted:

Centipeed, I kind of love that you are in that rare class of person who can see dramatic and largely uninformed criticism of something you have spent a lot of time working on, and rather than just understandably roll your eyes and keep doing what you are doing, you look at the small subset of interesting suggestions they are making and think maybe it could be improved.

What I am saying, basically, is: Centipeed for Emperor of Europe.

I'm strangely detached from the criticism: The tips weren't written by me for the most part, it's really a repository for Goons so Reddit's opinions don't matter so much, and they're making GBS threads all over the guy who posted the submission, so I'm sort of an impartial observer.

Still, while categorising the tips on every page is a nice idea, I don't think I'll ever get around to actually implementing it. There's hundreds of pages on the wiki now, and I haven't played nearly enough of those games to be able to reliably categorise them anyway.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I think you should just keep doing what you've been doing. These changes sound like a whole lot of work and I don't think anyone here has really complained about the current system in place. That all seems a bit :spergin:

There's been a few spoilers in the thread, but they typically get edited or they have the proper tags, or they've been specifically asked for -- I don't think it's that big of a deal, but that's just my opinion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I do think some of the overly-huge pages should be pruned and/or sorted, though. (See: The horrific mess the Final Fantasy Tactics page used to be.)

Maybe we can keep a list of "pages that need work", and then people who know the game and feel up to it can make those pages look better, etc? It IS a wiki (kind of).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 17, 2012

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I have a few Final Fantasy XIII-2 questions since Cliff mentioned it:

Should I bother with min/maxing (it's kind of weird that this is in there) for leveling? I have a feeling that it doesn't make that much of a difference but I'm not 100% sure.

I figure it can't hurt. Some basics:

When leveling up in the crystarium, there are small and large orbs. All orbs give a set stat boost regardless of the class you are levelling up, but the large orbs give a bonus boost based on what class you level up in that orb. You can min/max by controlling which bonuses you get.

For example, I want Noel to be my main COM guy and a physical attacker. Therefore, I will save all his COM level ups for large orbs, because that gives me a bonus +2 STR per level, a total of +196 or something at level 99. Conversely, he will never use magic, so I want to make sure I never level up his RAV on a big orb (+2 MAG).

e: As to whether it makes a difference, I'm about 15 hours in (just reached Academia 4XX) and have found battles on the easy side, but YMMV.

Cliff fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 15, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Oh okay, that's not so bad. I read one of the gamefaqs guide on the subject and it seemed way more complicated. I even shelved the game because I felt I already screwed up.

Thanks!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mayor McCheese posted:

Honestly I think you should just keep doing what you've been doing. These changes sound like a whole lot of work and I don't think anyone here has really complained about the current system in place. That all seems a bit :spergin:

There's been a few spoilers in the thread, but they typically get edited or they have the proper tags, or they've been specifically asked for -- I don't think it's that big of a deal, but that's just my opinion.

I agree. The wiki serves its intended purpose wonderfully as it exists currently. I've said it before, but it's worth reiterating--it's nice not to have to wade through the kilobytes of ascii art, pointless changelogs, dedications, superfluous copyright notices, poorly-drawn ASCII controllers with button layouts, etc. that you would get from a FAQ, but it's also not so spoiler-averse as to be too vague to be of any use. When I pick up a new game, it takes less than a minute to find the relevant wiki page and scan it for important info like how I shouldn't ever sell the protagonist's sword in a certain JRPG or how the default control scheme for a new jet combat game sucks and that the player can change it in the options menu.

It's just fine the way it is: short tips for people new to a particular game. I don't see any point in changing it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

While we're on the subject of the wiki's maintenance and spading, the Space Pirates and Zombies page looks like ctrl-v was hit one too many times.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I finally installed the Oddworld pack I bought awhile back, and started Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. I grew up in the age of unforgiving console platformers, but I'm finding this game brutal. Part of it is the fact that every death has a slow (by today's standards) respawn. I can almost always figure out the solution to a screen, but I find the controls so unresponsive that I can rarely pull it off. I'm only on the second level. Does this get any better? Am I hamstringing myself by playing with a keyboard? Are the sequels very different? (Obviously Stranger's Wrath is, but I mean Exodus and Munch.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's like that all the way through, not much to really give you tips on. Exodus was pretty much an expansion pack for the first one, it's basically more of the same and just as brutal. Munch was an Xbox game and was a 3d platformer so it's probably not as puzzle based or hard but I've never heard anyone say anything nice about it or really talk about it at all. Stranger's Wrath is pretty awesome though.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

I finally installed the Oddworld pack I bought awhile back, and started Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. I grew up in the age of unforgiving console platformers, but I'm finding this game brutal. Part of it is the fact that every death has a slow (by today's standards) respawn. I can almost always figure out the solution to a screen, but I find the controls so unresponsive that I can rarely pull it off. I'm only on the second level. Does this get any better? Am I hamstringing myself by playing with a keyboard? Are the sequels very different? (Obviously Stranger's Wrath is, but I mean Exodus and Munch.)

Keyboard isn't too bad. You can really dial-in-ahead your keystrokes. You don't need to react quickly, just do it all really early and Abe will usually get what you're trying to say.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

While we're on the subject of the wiki's maintenance and spading, the Space Pirates and Zombies page looks like ctrl-v was hit one too many times.

Thanks - I've removed the repeating information.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Centipeed posted:

Still, while categorising the tips on every page is a nice idea, I don't think I'll ever get around to actually implementing it. There's hundreds of pages on the wiki now, and I haven't played nearly enough of those games to be able to reliably categorise them anyway.
I don't see any point in changing anything. It's not broke and it doesn't need fixing. Hell, I just feel honored that you made a wiki based on a thread that I created. Thanks for all the work you've done!

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I just got Ceaser 3 and I keep having problems with food and jobs. I try to get people into jobs but they keep complaining about how there isn't any when there are plenty of jobs around them. Is there a good city template I can use? I am going to do the Peace campaign first then go on the War one afterwards.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Citizens don't look for jobs, it's the workplaces who put out recruiters who must make it to populated households. This was the Impressions way until Zeus. It sucks without Pharaoh's roadblocks, but you have to make sure that the recruiters can't gently caress up and get lost on the way to the residential zone.

In Pharaoh, I liked to put my main community far away from any industries and then just keep a 2x2 "recruitment office" shack near all of the disgusting clay pits and workshops. The recruiters find it and can access the whole labor pool even though they're only talking to two sickly beggars in a hole. I don't know for sure if it works.

Also don't bother with warfare-heavy missions, combat sucks and is just a chore in all of the games.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 17, 2012

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Should I try to get Casas? I started getting them and now I'm 63 workers short and it's getting worse.

(I'm only on the 2nd mission in the game.) :saddowns:

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Derek Dominoe posted:

Honestly, I've never had an issue with controlling the game with a keyboard. The controls are pretty tight, you just have to get used to all of Abe's quirks. The only thing to watch out for is Abe's momentum. The game is only going to get harder and you're going to have to make more precise quick jumps.

Exoddus is pretty much the first game done better, controls are untouched, but gameplay is given a lot more variation, they add a quicksave feature, and commanding muds is a lot easier. If you're having control problems with the first one, you're definitely going to have issues with the second.

Munch's Oddysee is a completely different game. It's a 3d platformer, one of the first to come out on xbox. Plays a lot like Mario 64, but with shittier controls and camera.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Dragon Age: Origins

The wiki has a lot of tips for mages, but not much for warriors / rogues. What spell / attribute progression is broken, and what is useless?

Edit - Also, DLC. What's worth buying, and is there a way to just buy stuff on steam without going through the really stupid system?
Same questions for Dragon Age: Awakening

Also, recommended mods.

And, how do I play the Arcane Warrior? Do I just armor up, buff, and then go do what a fighter would do?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anything for Driver: San Francisco? I've got it coming from lovefilm in a couple of days. I vaguely remember enjoying the demo even though I was crap at it.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Something that isn't immediately apparent but I find incredibly useful for the 2d Oddworlds: the distance in any and every given room is divided into discrete cells, and all forms of movement conform to these precise quantities. The momentum you conserve from running and run-jumping will always cause Abe to slide forward two cells, and it always takes at least one cell of running before you can perform a run-jump. Rolling is slightly slower than running but you do not conserve any momentum, that is to say you stop on whichever cell you've just rolled onto, which combined with the fact that you can switch between running and rolling fairly freely can help you to not slide into unwanted explosives and screen-transitions. The early game is pretty good about giving you some squares of leeway but the mid- and especially late-game obstacles depend on maintaining pretty high precision.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SiKboy posted:

Anything for Driver: San Francisco? I've got it coming from lovefilm in a couple of days. I vaguely remember enjoying the demo even though I was crap at it.

Upgrade your boost bar and recharge rate first, everything else second (except maybe your income rate, since this makes upgrading easier). Also, don't buy any cars until you save up and purchase the ford gt.
Additionally, the bonus missions you can access from the garage menu (ex. "movie" "driver") are easily some of the best missions in the game. However, do as many rounds of story missions as possible before doing these, as the story missions unlock abilities that are very very helpful for getting around the city quickly (and open up more segments of the map).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

No Awakening specific tips? I can't really find anything online either (DAnexus doesn't even have an Awakening mod section)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I haven't played Awakenings but I was reading the thread around the time it came out and the general consensus was that it was very easy because you are really high level at that point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nobody asked but here it is

Spectral Souls
  • You don't need recipes to synthesize items.
  • The second you have a sagestone and a heart stone synthesize them into a vitality ring. The second you have a vitality ring and a sagestone synthesize them into a fortitude ring. The second you have spare EP upgrade your vitality rings to max (+25 vit)
  • Vitality improves your total health only on level up and you will hit max level, hence you want to beeline the hell out of vitality rings
  • You'll want every character you have to have minimum 40 speed by about level 40.
  • Just keep putting points into strength. You'll want strength to be well over 50 by level 40.
  • Mage, just put points into int
  • Do not raise luck. Do not think of raising luck.
  • There are several very easily missed characters who if you have in your party the game gives you free EP and Party Points in special scenes. Look them up in a guide.
  • Register only the first tier of each weapon tree (I.e. Silver Spear, Silver Sword, Gold Fingers) as those skills + Quad Attack (bought from the shop) are the only thing your party will ever use
  • Crush and that whole line of skills are 100% worthless.
  • If you don't have the manual (aka bought a phone version of the game) you'll have to online to look up what the character traits you unlock actually do. Yes, its stupid.
  • Certain party members die/leave your party forever. You will lose any party points you put on them. If this bothers you look up in a guide who dies. As a hint, it tends to happen to characters who require a lot of points to level up compared to other characters you have.
  • Points at level up unspent are carried over to the next level up or the party point screen
  • Mages are only useful for healing unless you plan to pre-plan your entire character development. They are, very, very good at healing so you'll only need one.
  • At level 25 and level 40 you'll have the option to change a characters class. Do so immediately as it gives you multiple level ups worth of stats for doing so, unlocks new character specials, and increases total AP/Mov distance.
  • Damage reduction is flat, so there is never a reason to not just shoot for even bigger numbers. The cliff is also incredibly steep, you can be doing 1 damage a hit and then with 1 point more you'll deal 40 a hit and a few more after that 200ish a hit.
  • The game throws defensive items on you like candy, while you can get better gear you'll compensate by having high vitality. Instead spend your precious EP on weapon upgrading and fortitude ring upgrading.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 21, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Goofballs posted:

I haven't played Awakenings but I was reading the thread around the time it came out and the general consensus was that it was very easy because you are really high level at that point
When I asked for tips on Origins, I've been told that Awakening is when the game gets hard. Which is why I'm ask for tips etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

By the time you finish Origins, you'll have a strong enough grasp of the mechanics that you'll be able to figure out which Awakening skills/talents/etc. to pursue without any trouble. Worst case scenario, I'm pretty sure in Awakening you can buy respecs.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Any for Borderlands 2, without spoilers?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Same as above. My friend mentioned that there was a guy I need to keep talking to over the course of the game to get some bonus guns. Is this true, and if so, who and where?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zushio posted:

Same as above. My friend mentioned that there was a guy I need to keep talking to over the course of the game to get some bonus guns. Is this true, and if so, who and where?

He's sometimes in Sanctuary, in random locations. Don't bother looking for him, but if you see a guy carrying around a couple guns, stop and talk.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

EddieDean posted:

Any for Borderlands 2, without spoilers?

* Most importantly, if you preordered the game you got a golden key (and if you didn't, or want another, you can sign up for gearbox shift and get one). The key opens a golden chest in the game's main city/hub. Pay attention when running around that town not to accidentally open it and spend your key (it's the only "proper" chest in the town, not counting boxes and lockers and such). The chest gives leveled purple loot, so if you open it at level 8 then when you reach level 12 or so you'll just be tossing that gear. The later you can stand to wait, the longer the gear you get is going to last.

* As an addition to that first point, if you don't like what you got from the chest, deal with it or try to trade it or something. Don't just dashboard/turn your console off/force-close the game, because it autosaves as soon as the chest opens and when you do this you lose the key but don't get the loot.

* Unlike the first game, which required you to do X number of quests in a given area before the story mission to move on to the next area unlocked, BL2 can get very linear very fast if you ignore side quests. You'll also get pushed into the deep end of the level curve with enemies outleveling you by wider and wider margins. As difficult as it can be to just drop a story-important quest in progress, always stop when entering a new area and do as many sidequests as you can find, or you're going to miss a whole lot of the game.

* Because each manufacturer now has a set-in-stone gimmick, you can quickly rule out weapons even if they have better stats once you know what does and doesn't work for you. For example, I like to use assault rifles, and I'm constantly finding ones that are better in every category, but leave them because they are made by Jacob's. Because of Jacob's' gimmick (all of their weapons fire as fast as you can pull the trigger), it turns out their assault rifles are all one-shot guns rather than burstfire or full auto. Simmilarly, Torgue assault rifles fire really slow-moving projectiles that make the gun feel really slow-firing even with high ROFs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, never, ever reload Tediore guns till its at 0(which it happens automatically anyway), otherwise you lose ammo.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Also, never, ever reload Tediore guns till its at 0(which it happens automatically anyway), otherwise you lose ammo.

As a counterpoint, the explosion from the reload does more damage with more ammo left in the clip. So while it does burn ammo like crazy, you can do some serious damage tossing a near full clip gun at somebody.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

* Most importantly, if you preordered the game you got a golden key (and if you didn't, or want another, you can sign up for gearbox shift and get one). The key opens a golden chest in the game's main city/hub. Pay attention when running around that town not to accidentally open it and spend your key (it's the only "proper" chest in the town, not counting boxes and lockers and such). The chest gives leveled purple loot, so if you open it at level 8 then when you reach level 12 or so you'll just be tossing that gear. The later you can stand to wait, the longer the gear you get is going to last.

It's actually very easy to get more keys by doing some ini editing. Go to (where ever you installed to)\DLC\POPremierClub\Lic and open the WillowDLC.ini file. In there you'll see a golden keys entry, just change the 1 to however many keys you want (I don't know if more than 99 would work though) and viola, more keys.

Don't do this if you don't want to break the game too hard, because rolling in all purple equipment will make you pretty strong.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lord Banana posted:

It's actually very easy to get more keys by doing some ini editing. Go to (where ever you installed to)\DLC\POPremierClub\Lic and open the WillowDLC.ini file. In there you'll see a golden keys entry, just change the 1 to however many keys you want (I don't know if more than 99 would work though) and viola, more keys.

Don't do this if you don't want to break the game too hard, because rolling in all purple equipment will make you pretty strong.
They already fixed this exploit, and you really don't need it anyway. You'll get plenty of good guns.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

theshim posted:

They already fixed this exploit, and you really don't need it anyway. You'll get plenty of good guns.

Oh fair enough. You definitely get plenty of good stuff anyway, but that doesn't make using the insane purples any less fun!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
The Golden Chest loot isn't a huge deal anyway. There's a fair chance of getting stuff you don't particularly want (like a bad combination of grenade mods) and no matter what level you unlock it at you'll be able to quickly find better gear. Gear seems to scale exponentially, so it's almost impossible for a level 30 weapon to be good enough to carry you to 50, as in the first game.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
How about some tips for Phantasy Star 4? The game is fun, but obtuse skill names and no instruction manual is making it a little tough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The advice I got in this thread for PSIV was pretty good. It's a straightforward 16-bit JRPG without any missables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

How about some tips for Phantasy Star 4? The game is fun, but obtuse skill names and no instruction manual is making it a little tough.

The post linked by Nate RFB is solid. Apart from that, look up a list of skill effects, item stats, and item abilities on gameFAQs or something (I think that info is normally in the manual?), and possibly combos (I don't think that information is normally in the manual, but a lot of them are basically impossible to find via experimentation). Although in practice you can muddle through without doing this, and the only abilities likely to give you trouble figuring out what they do via experimentation are buffs/debuffs and save-or-dies.

Apart from that, make sure you have an escapipe and telepipe on you at all times and enjoy the ride.