Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

No worries, FFIX is flawless :smug:

Card game is pretty boring and lacks any of the tangible benefits of FFVIII's. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Eggie posted:

Vaan is FFXII's hero from a marketing standpoint only. It's been said before but the true hero of FFXII is Ashe and Vaan only served as a marketing tool, which I don't mind because the game starting with Vaan's perspective gave a very saddened yet ambitious tone for the story that worked very well. Honestly, I like Vaan as a character. Now as the plot moves along Vaan doesn't do much but he and Penelo talk and their characters grow a bit so it's not like they completely vanish from the story- they still have presence.

I thought it was Basch (the "older" knight-guy) who was originally supposed to be the lead character in the story, then they added Vaan for marketing purposes?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

Bad card game, slow plot, Eiko, Quina, entire soul transfer poo poo, final boss, slow slow combat. I did like learning skills from item and the main character's job being thief but outside of that I didn't really care for the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Card game is pretty boring and lacks any of the tangible benefits of FFVIII's. :colbert:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA

I thought the card game was kinda fun. It didn't take me long to figure out, and I didn't start playing until my cards were actually reasonable, but I had a decent amount of fun with it (even if it was pretty self-contained).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Bad card game, slow plot, Eiko, Quina, entire soul transfer poo poo, final boss, slow slow combat. I did like learning skills from item and the main character's job being thief but outside of that I didn't really care for the game.

Triple Triad isn't much better at all, the plot moves pretty quick after Disc 2, Eiko is hilarious, so is Quina, don't see what's wrong with the soul transfer thing since at that point existence had been completely obliterated, the final boss has a fantastic theme, and the combat being slow is exaggerated.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 28, 2012

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Gonna do a replay through the series. Not necessarily in order. I've pretty much got console vs. PC as a choice for each. Looking for some input if there's a better version to go with.

FF1 - GBA over GC (Is this better than PSX?)
FF2 - GBA over GC (Is this better than PSX?)
FF3 - ZSnes?
FF4 - PSX
FF5 - PSX
FF6 - PSX
FF7 - Undecided. I remember not liking the PC version, but dat PSX translation.
FF8 - PSX (I don't know that there's much value to the PC version)
FF9 - PSX
FF10 - PS2 (US release)
FF10.2 - PS2
FF12 - PS2 (non-IZJS)
FF13.2 - 360 + Sazh DLC + Lightning DLC + Gilgamesh + Ultron + Lighting Coli
FFT - 1.3 Content

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Toshimo posted:

Gonna do a replay through the series. Not necessarily in order. I've pretty much got console vs. PC as a choice for each. Looking for some input if there's a better version to go with.

FF3 - ZSnes?
FF4 - PSX
FF5 - PSX
FF6 - PSX

Here's how I recommend.

FF1 - PSP or GBA
FF2 - PSP or GBA
FF3 - NES
FF4 - PSP or GBA, or DS if you want something different
FF5 - GBA
FF6 - GBA

The GBA ports add stuff and fix a few bugs for each, and the PSP ports enhance those. I'd go PSP first, then GBA if you don't have a PSP. The problems with the PS1 versions are slow load-times and in the case of FF5 a pretty bad translation. FF1/2 on PS1 are pretty nice, at least, but I'd still recommend the GBA or PSP versions.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah. I don't have a PSP and I've only got the GBA versions of 1 and 2. If the 5 translation is really awful, I'd rebuy that for the GBA, but I can just as easily rip and emulate the PSX versions of 4 and 6 to soften the load times (or just play the original SNES releases).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The problems with FF7 PC is the music got replaced with some crappy MIDIs with an awful soundfont and it sounds like poo poo. If you do play PC FF7 find the mod that fixes the music or just play the PS1 version. The writing is so barely improved you won't notice it.

Also FF5 Advance is perfect and by far the best version of the game. The fan translations aren't nearly as good by any metric.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd play the original version ten times out of ten with FF6. They messed up the sound and added load times in exchange for three or four ugly CGI videos.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Defiance Industries posted:

I'd play the original version ten times out of ten with FF6. They messed up the sound and added load times in exchange for three or four ugly CGI videos.

:chord:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
VI and IX hold up the best for me, easily. I'm about to beat VI Advance and 18 years after the first time I played it I still adore that game. Even though it really doesn't give all its playable characters nearly enough to do in the story, I'd still have preferred keeping them in and seeing more of them get full-on WoR sidequests of their own like Cyan and Strago did.

As for IX, its cartoony graphics have aged pretty well for the 5th generation. I've gotten burnt out near the end of almost every JRPG I've ever played because by then the characters all play the same—or for each character I have to do one thing over and over in every fight—final dungeons often have dull designs, and I just want the loving game to end. I didn't feel nearly as much of that with IX as usual.

ImpAtom posted:

I couldn't stand Triple Triad, but I admit part of it was that I accidentally spread the loving Random rule.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I have to admit, I like the Final Fantasies where the characters homogenize the least by the endgame. When I played FF6, I equipped Espers that would complement characters, rather than turn everybody into a caster. I also hate doing grindy poo poo like breeding chocobos or dodging 100 lightning bolts to get ultimate weapons, but I guess that stuff is optional for a reason.

Also I really like the Final Fantasies that don't make me play through some dude's angsty bullshit for like 75% of the game. Or if they do, let me switch him out of the party, please. There are other characters that I would much prefer to use.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

FF3 - ZSnes?
FF4 - PSX
FF5 - PSX
FF6 - PSX
FF7 - Undecided. I remember not liking the PC version, but dat PSX translation.
FF8 - PSX (I don't know that there's much value to the PC version)
FF9 - PSX
FF10 - PS2 (US release)
FF10.2 - PS2
FF12 - PS2 (non-IZJS)
FF13.2 - 360 + Sazh DLC + Lightning DLC + Gilgamesh + Ultron + Lighting Coli
FFT - 1.3 Content

FF1: PSX
FF2: PSP or GBA
FF3: NES
FF4: PSP or GBA
FF5: GBA
FF6: SNES or GBA

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Ross posted:

I thought it was Basch (the "older" knight-guy) who was originally supposed to be the lead character in the story, then they added Vaan for marketing purposes?

Basch was meant to be the main character, yes. He would have made a better "main character" than Vaan. Vaan was added because the last time Matsuno (the original co-director of FFXII) made a game with an older protagonist (Vagrant Story) it bombed. Of course, this is silly because Final Fantasy is one of the biggest franchises in video games and Square-Enix could make a Final Fantasy with a drunken walrus as the main character and it would sell like hot cakes.

quote:

FFIX talk

The more I talk about FFIX, the more I like it even if it's a little flawed. I understand what people say when it has charm.

I might have complained about this before, but I didn't like how ATEs didn't show up as much in the later discs. Steiner and Freya could have used them since they sort of fall off the map later on in the story and you don't know how they're feeling in relates to the plot. Plus, the ATE's were just generally entertaining and charming. Square-Enix should bring them back.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eggie posted:

Final Fantasy with a drunken walrus as the main character

I would unironically but the poo poo out of this.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Excellent choice. The PSX version fixes the grind of the original, but isn't trivial like the GBA or PSP version.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I really suggest playing FFXII International. It's such a drastic improvement over the original.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

:filez: or whatever but I seriously can't imagine playing any version of 2 or 3 without an emulator with savestates and frameskip. Obviously that merits consideration for any oldschool JRPG, but FF2 and 3 are among the grindiest and most annoying I've ever played.

Curiously despite somebody else saying the newer versions took the grind out of FF1, I never found that game to be too bad. It's slow-paced, but it's also easier than 2 or 3 so you don't actually have to grind as much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only grind FF1 had was getting to level 7-8 on creeps and ogres at Elfland to make the Marsh Cave suck less, or getting a silver sword which usually took until 8-9 depending on anything else you bought.

Other than that, unless you do some Giant Hall power leveling to make things easier you can usually just play through and not grind until the very end game (if at all) depending on your team and how well you use the Heal equipment and stuff like Black/White shirts, Zeus gauntlet, Thor's Hammer...etc.

If you've played the game a bunch and go with a high-powered team like Fighter, Fighter/Black Belt, Black Belt, Red Mage you're probably going to be fine without any grind but you can expect Astos to be a major bitch if you're only level 5-7.

FF2 is a whole different story. Either break the difficulty over your knee by leveling the right stuff, or be prepared for a horrible slog later on. If you don't get agility leveling up then the late game is unbearable because you can never flee, status effects will always hit you, and so will every enemy attack.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

The last time I played FF1 I got all the way to Chaos but I just couldn't damage him fast enough before he full healed. I took down all the fiends in the dungeon leading up to him in just a couple of turns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Trance.

Otherwise, I'd tend to agree. Now I just have to figure out why I haven't replayed as often as it deserves.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr Pepper posted:

I really suggest playing FFXII International. It's such a drastic improvement over the original.

In story? Or just mechanics? I'm not really interested in paying $90 for another copy of an rpg I already own for the sake of a few gameplay improvements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

In story? Or just mechanics? I'm not really interested in paying $90 for another copy of an rpg I already own for the sake of a few gameplay improvements.

Just mechanics. There's little-to-no real change to the story.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Toshimo posted:

Although calling it "a few gameplay improvements" is short-selling it a bit. The gameplay feels pretty substantially different in many ways; it's not trivial additions like a few tacked on boss fights. For a game that is very heavy on gameplay in the gameplay:story ratio, big improvements to how well it plays is significant.

On the other hand, can't blame you for not wanting to buy a game twice to play once.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I can't remember if it's FF2 or FF3 but one of them has a final dungeon that's often noted as the hardest in all of RPGing.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ross posted:

I can't remember if it's FF2 or FF3 but one of them has a final dungeon that's often noted as the hardest in all of RPGing.

FF3 is the one with the ridiculous marathon final dungeon with no save point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Miracon posted:

The most fun I've had in RPGing in a long while.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Ross posted:

I would't go that far.

It's 3, and it's not that it's "hard," but that it's rather bullshitty. There's two dungeons nestled within each other, the second with 4 hard boss fights and then the final battle. It's rather long and can be pretty taxing on your numbers by the time you get to them. There's no save points and if you try to warp out it only takes you as far as the one square area of world map between the two dungeons, so you've still got to walk out the rest of the way. So there's no good way to stop and prep up between boss fights.

What is the hardest dungeon? Probably something in Nocturne.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

Although calling it "a few gameplay improvements" is short-selling it a bit. The gameplay feels pretty substantially different in many ways; it's not trivial additions like a few tacked on boss fights. For a game that is very heavy on gameplay in the gameplay:story ratio, big improvements to how well it plays is significant.

On the other hand, can't blame you for not wanting to buy a game twice to play once.

Basically I'd say a whole lot of gameplay flaws were fixed in the International version.

Characters end up the same - You pick one of 12 different jobs for each character, so everyone is different.

Random chests are a pain - There are a lot more chests, and they respawn faster. Plus there's no convoluted "forbidden" chest thing.

The game can be a little slow - Press a button and the game's speed doubles. Handy for quickly moving from place to place.

Near endgame weapon/magic balance becomes bad, with high combo weapons being the only good choice for damage. - The removal of the 9999 damage cap means that balance is drastically improved. Magic is actually useful and the difference between slow and powerful weapons and fast and weak weapons is actually meaniningful

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Miracon posted:

It certainly is a stupidly long dungeon, but at least I didn't bother with it until I was at a sufficiently high level. At that point, there was no attrition left to be had and it was just "jeez I really hope I don't get another random encounter before I find the path to the next room."

I don't remember it sourly. I just remember it being really boring, and the high encounter rate didn't help that at all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ross posted:

III, specifically III DS. It's designed in such a stupid way. First off, the entrance to the final dungeon is at the end of another dungeon, so you'll be a bit down on resources by the time you even get there. There are no save points in between or in fact anywhere in the whole process. Once you get into the final dungeon, you can't get out at all. Basically the final dungeon is two or three hours by its lonesome; you're supposed to go through and kill four minibosses, each of whom can be kind of tricky but usually aren't all that difficult. You can skip the minibosses if you'd like, but you're supposed to do most of your endgame grinding in the last dungeon and going through and killing them at least gives you some illusion of progress. Smart players will notice at this point that thanks to the lack of save points or ability to leave the dungeon if you die at any point you have to do everything all over again. The issue here is that the last boss is easily the hardest final boss in the series, especially since in the DS version they dramatically inflated her health and gave her three extra attacks per round because of a bunch of jerking off about ~oldschool RPGs~. There's no way you can heal faster than she can damage you, so your gameplan is to deal damage faster than she can. You still need a healer to buy you enough time to maybe have a shot at grinding her down, though, so if she decides to focus fire him down in the first couple rounds you're hosed, try again.

In other words, gently caress III DS, it's hard but for all the least interesting reasons.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Fungah! posted:

There are no save points in between or in fact anywhere in the whole process.
I really hate this idea that the inability to save makes a game's content more difficult. (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, for instance, made saving a Bad Thing as part of its design.) All it means is that when my guys die, so does all my interest in doing all that poo poo ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At least Dragon Quarter built its mechanics around the saving thing. The final dungeon in FF3 just doesn't have any save points because gently caress you.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
It didn't have any save points, because they hadn't been invented yet. FF4 was the first RPG to have them, I'm pretty sure.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hedera Helix posted:

It didn't have any save points, because they hadn't been invented yet. FF4 was the first RPG to have them, I'm pretty sure.

The obvious advantage to remaking an old game is that you can put in all these convenient gameplay elements that have since been implemented such as buying multiple items at once and--gasp--save points!

But no, the players must have an authentic, legitimate experience. This of course includes inflating enemy HP by at least one magnitude and giving them multiple attacks per turn while the only advantage the game gives to the player is removing a damage cap they'll almost never feasibly reach (and doing so lazily, might I add).

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

The obvious advantage to remaking an old game is that you can put in all these convenient gameplay elements that have since been implemented such as buying multiple items at once and--gasp--save points!

But no, the players must have an authentic, legitimate experience. This of course includes inflating enemy HP by at least one magnitude and giving them multiple attacks per turn while the only advantage the game gives to the player is removing a damage cap they'll almost never feasibly reach (and doing so lazily, might I add).
I can't really stand any of the first three Final Fantasies in any iteration because they just feel so dated and tedious now. I really thought with Origins and Dawn of Souls and the PSP/DS games that Square would gut the whole battle system and rebuild it from the ground up (II sure loving needs it) and modernize the dungeon-crawling. I don't know how I ever let myself believe Square would actually do that.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

The White Dragon posted:

Well, of course. It's just that for the original, it was somewhat understandable, even if it dates the game heavily.

Did the DS version at least make it so that you don't lose all your defense when trying to run away?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Vil posted:

Trance.

High Tide :smug:

Seriously, all this IX love does my heart good. It is an absolutely magical game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I really hate this idea that the inability to save makes a game's content more difficult. (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, for instance, made saving a Bad Thing as part of its design.) All it means is that when my guys die, so does all my interest in doing all that poo poo ever again.

It's a pretty legitimate design decision, but one that works meaningful in games where conservation and knowledge are a big part of what is going on. (Which doesn't apply to Final Fantasy at all.) It isn't supposed to make the game more difficult so much as it is to change the mindset that someone approaches a game with.

In something like Shiren the Wanderer or Dragon Quarter or even many games with Ironman/Hardcore modes, you're not expected to finish it in one go. Each trip into the game is supposed to involve gradually increasing knowledge (and in the case of games like Dragon Quarter or Shiren, gradually stacking bonuses.) The purpose of limited or punishing saves is to encourage players to try different tactics, deal with mistakes, and in general do something besides savescum for optimal results or zerg rush until they get through. As such they play a big part in games where conservation and proper use of resources is a meaningful part of the game.

The problem is that never applies to Final Fantasy. Your resources in Final Fantasy are extremely basic, there's little in the way of randomization or unexpected circumstances, and the ways you can approach enemies are limited. By limiting your saves there all you do is increase the tedium because a trip back through that dungeon isn't going to increase your knowledge or require you to do something different. Nor can you make "progress" like in some of the better Dragon Quest games where you unlock shortcuts. More often than not a FF dungeon is linear as hell and so repeat trips are boring instead of something that feels like you make progress.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 29, 2012