Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

My sister had a friend at school called Will Raype, surprisingly he didn't seem to have that hard a time. To make things better his dad is called Howard which, yep, when said in our accent sounds exactly like hard.

I recently met a Pedussy Begum in work. Its just so...unfortunate :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I just found this fantastic list!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

An engineer I work with told a variation of the L-a story while we were out to lunch with some people today. He claimed she was one of his wife's students. He did the stereotypical black neck waggling thing and tried his best to sound like a black woman. It was awkward.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

rodbeard posted:

An engineer I work with told a variation of the L-a story while we were out to lunch with some people today. He claimed she was one of his wife's students. He did the stereotypical black neck waggling thing and tried his best to sound like a black woman. It was awkward.

Yeah I've had that. I mention it's an urban legend but everyone insists that their mum/wife/friend works with someone who actually saw it, this one was definitely real.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Cody

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Jun 9, 2014

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah I've had that. I mention it's an urban legend but everyone insists that their mum/wife/friend works with someone who actually saw it, this one was definitely real.
I'm just surprised it's always with a dash. Never an Am&a, &rew, N@asha or Ma~. Or "It's spelled L'ena and pronounced Lapostropheena". Show some imagination, urban legendeers.

Silly names: I'm disappointed to discover, on googling, that Nimrod Ping wasn't Nimrod Ping's birth name. Still, Adrian Ping is pretty terrible too.

And horrible Liberian politics seemed a bit harder to take seriously whenever the name Moses Blah was mentioned.

I met a South African called Result once, as well, though that's apparently a Boer spelling of something else and kind of cool rather than terrible.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

I dated a guy named John Buttlick in highschool

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I went to school with a Chris P. Bacon.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I was almost named Larry Bird [lastname]. My mom nipped that in the bud.

There's a dentist in Seattle named Dr. Viola Gay

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I recently was introduced to a little boy named Loahghynn. Or, "Logan" for us normies.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

One of the trainwrecks on 16 and Pregnant named their baby Brody as a portmanteau of Brooke and Cody.

Grody Brody.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm just surprised it's always with a dash. Never an Am&a, &rew, N@asha or Ma~. Or "It's spelled L'ena and pronounced Lapostropheena". Show some imagination, urban legendeers.

Those names don't sound black enough and therefore don't meet the "Subtly please racists" quota.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
Dragos Pauna

Wait sorry I thought this was the awesomest names thread

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Call Now posted:

All of them?
Yes.

jojoinnit posted:

you mean to change your surname to theirs?

Yeah.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I work at a motel, and last year I checked in a gentleman named King Best. His middle name? Arthur.

Acknot
Mar 18, 2008
I have an uncle whose grandparents had the pretty normal Norwegian names Willy and Odd. He is at a loss as to why English speaking persons seem to find the name Odd Willy witty somehow.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Took this picture on a cross-country roadtrip in March of 2008.

edit: Company near me named Analtech

iForge has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Sep 28, 2012

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

edit n/m

Dogbrisket has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Sep 26, 2013

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dogbrisket posted:

Worst thing I ever saw in my time working in California's social service system was a kid named Wu Tang.

Yeah, but I'll bet that kid ain't nuthin' to gently caress with.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dogbrisket posted:

Worst thing I ever saw in my time working in California's social service system was a kid named Wu Tang. Just loving horrible.
That's not horrible, that's awesome.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Nah, it's pretty bad. It also tells me that kid's parent(s) are dumbfucks and he's got no chance in life :smith:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dogbrisket posted:

Nah, it's pretty bad. It also tells me that kid's parent(s) are dumbfucks and he's got no chance in life :smith:

Can I just say I'm really loving glad you're not working for Cali's social service system anymore?

On a more positive note, since this is also somewhat the Cool Names Thread, I met Malachi J. Blade when I was in basic training. Good guy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dogbrisket posted:

Worst thing I ever saw in my time working in California's social service system was a kid named Wu Tang.

I'm imagining a teenage action hero with a father who was Japanese martial arts master and a mother who was a black American gangstress, and he must unravel the clues surrounding their mysterious deaths...

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

redmercer posted:

On a more positive note, since this is also somewhat the Cool Names Thread, I met Malachi J. Blade when I was in basic training. Good guy.
Blade is even more awesome when I imagine it paired with military titles. "Hi, I'm Sergeant Blade ..."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

redmercer posted:

You've just reminded me that I used to work with Marlon Blood. Who was the whitest suburbanite you could ever hope to meet and worked in patent searching. Nice bloke, but such a waste of a badass blaxploitation name.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
In elementary school, there was a girl named Zenith which didn't seem weird to me at the time and only later did I realize that it wasn't an actual name.

I also went to high school with an Eowyn.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I once got into a conversation with an elderly man in line at the pharmacy. His name was William Robert. Apparently, his mother had intended to name him Billy Bob, and told the nurse that when he was born. His father was away at war,and his mother was illiterate. The nurse wrote William Robert on his birth certificate instead of what the mother said. She didn't know about it until almost two years later when his father came home, at which point they figured they might as well let it be. He'd wanted to thank that nurse many, many times over the years.

A few more weird spellings:

Kcarheem Marta'vee (Kareem)
C'celya Skye
Anthynee Moses - I pronounce this An-thigh-knee in my head every time.
Nyckolaus Lee
Ahtum Rene (Autumn)
Tahliegha (Talia) - Sometimes I think parents hold contests where they choose a name and then try to see who can get it the furthest away while still making it vaguely pronounceable. The winner gets a box of Pampers and a certificate for an 18th birthday name change
Anderxon Ly Xayarath - X is not interchangeable with S. And I don't know what the hell is with Xayarath. Sounds like a Star Trek alien.
Juornei - Journey. Good band.
Secileigh Marie (Cecily)
X-zèvion sèMaj-DhèMayni - Okay, Xavion isn't actually a name, but Semaj is James spelled backwards. And that mess is Damon with an i.
Ahlyis Jai - Alice Jay
Lybertee Paris - Y is also not interchangeable with I or E in all circumstances
D'kot'e Kole - Dakota Cole
A'Vri-Seanae McKnz, sister is SaYunce - box of Pampers for A'Vri! And seriously, seance? Is she going to summon the dead?
Aerheiyahnah - Poor Ariana. It's not like it's a common name that needs 12 letters

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

:stare: And I thought Contessta and Cha'tara (shuh-terra) were bad.

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy

iForge posted:

Took this picture on a cross-country roadtrip in March of 2008.

edit: Company near me named Analtech

I live in western Ohio and there are tons of ads on TV and radio for Tom Raper RVs, all the time, and billboards. It's ridiculous. Rapermania. What a terrible name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dwyane Wade, the basketball player. In fairness, he is named after his father. He also has a sister named Tragil.

:wtc:

I had a teacher in high school who said somebody near her had named their kid Sincere God. I'm not sure how true it is, but given that there is a Ubiquitous P. God in the Social Security Death Index, it's at least plausible.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Dogbrisket posted:

Other winners included kids named after lowbrow liquor (Alize) bad cologne (Drakkar) and probably a half dozen or so Tupacs. also, the requisite girls named aftrr luxury cars.

Well, to be fair, if you mean by that Mercedes, Lexis/Lexus, and/or Porsche, those are all legitimate names and have been since well before any cars existed. Though Porsche maybe was more of a surname until comparatively recently.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

ibntumart posted:

Well, to be fair, if you mean by that Mercedes, Lexis/Lexus, and/or Porsche, those are all legitimate names and have been since well before any cars existed. Though Porsche maybe was more of a surname until comparatively recently.

Portia is a legitimate first name. Porsche is not. It is a surname, though. Alexis was around before Lexis/Lexus, and Lexis was sometimes used as a first name, but Lexus was not (except as an occasional attempt at a creative respelling, but not as something that would be traditional for anywhere. Lexis, too, would probably not predate cars as a formal name).

Mercedes definitely was - it's an appellation of the Virgin Mary (Mary of the Mercies). It's actually a really popular name in many countries.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
This is more awesome than terrible, but there's a thoracic surgeon in my area named Loki Skylizard. I saw his name in the paper and thought it must be a joke or an error, but he exists and looks completely normal, despite having what is potentially the world's best name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Bonster posted:

Portia is a legitimate first name. Porsche is not. It is a surname, though. Alexis was around before Lexis/Lexus, and Lexis was sometimes used as a first name, but Lexus was not (except as an occasional attempt at a creative respelling, but not as something that would be traditional for anywhere. Lexis, too, would probably not predate cars as a formal name).

Point taken. Though I admit I don't always think using a surname as a first name is inherently terrible (except when it's obviously a patronym/matronym, like MacKenzie), so the German spelling of Portia as a first name doesn't bug me at all.

Bonster posted:

Mercedes definitely was - it's an appellation of the Virgin Mary (Mary of the Mercies). It's actually a really popular name in many countries.

As are other appellations derived from the Virgin Mary, such as Consuela (from Nuestra Señora del Consuelo, Our Lady of Consolation), Dolores ( María de los Dolores, Mary of Sorrows), Pilar (María del Pilar, Mary of the Pillar---this one isn't so common in my experience, though), and Rosario (Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Our Lady of the Rosary).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bonster posted:

The car was in fact named after a Daimler employee's daughter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_(car)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

ibntumart posted:

Point taken. Though I admit I don't always think using a surname as a first name is inherently terrible (except when it's obviously a patronym/matronym, like MacKenzie), so the German spelling of Portia as a first name doesn't bug me at all.

I generally agree. People have been using surnames as first names for a long time - it was considered rather posh for a long time, because it was usually noble families preserving the mother's surname in the name of her son. Porsche as a surname was probably occupational or came from a male name, but no one can seem to agree on what. It hardly matters, because it's a form of Portia now. Names are flexible.

Speaking of flexible, how about some actual, on-topic names?

Let's talk about Nevaeh. The more observant of you have noticed that it's heaven spelled backwards. Every parent who names their child this claims that it struck them in a moment of inspiration. This is why it went from eight girls with this name in 1999 to the 25th most popular name in the US in 2010. That's a lot of inspiration. A combination I have seen over and over?

Nevaeh Lee - Heaven Lee

Cute.

You know how, when you were a kid, you knew you were in serious trouble when your parent yelled your first, middle, and last name? Here are some names where that might lose impact.

Saint Adrian
Angelic Gabriela
Precious Heaven Marie
Heavenly Darling
Myeanjell
Heavenly Angel
Precious Prince Denyia - This is a girl. A girl named Prince.
Heavenlee Patience
Precious Angel
Beloved Treasure Joli

On the other hand, some parents choose names which don't sound right unless the kid's in trouble.
Demonta
Quadir Jameek Powerful Supreme
Demonica
Fury
Master Joe
Antavion Demon
Maverick Justus - actually, this sounds like a television show

Bonster has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Sep 30, 2012

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

tbp posted:

Just had a patient named Gay Hammie. Well thanks all.

Whoa, HIPAA violation right there.

A girl I went to high school with who turned ultra-hipster in college had a daughter a few months ago and named her Fanny. Let's hope she never wants to move to England.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I went to school (and was friends for a while) with a girl named Mercedes Sapphire. Legitimately after the car and the rock. Her father named her. To my knowledge she still hasn't forgiven him. And then she named her son Gage. Her claims are that it was not after the Pet Semetary character, but knowing her love for Stephen King, I somehow doubt that.

I work at a pizza place. When we take an order, we ask for a name so it's easily and quickly identifiable should we be busy. I've come across some truly awful names. Usually this leads to a declaration that I'm moving to a country where you have to pick a name off a list of approved names or get a panel or people to agree that it's not a stupid idea. Most recently it's been a slew of La- prefix names, all of whom insist on spelling it out and making sure I get the capitals right. We had one claim of the name Fabreezia. Fortunately, the girls admitted when they picked up their food that it wasn't actually anyone's name and that they'd just made it up because they didn't want to give a real name.

I've two cousins, a father and son, named Mack, after Mack trucks.

Not terrible, but a "creative" spelling. A good friend of mine is named Cyan, pronounced Cheyenne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

My brother in law was a Marine, and in his Boot Camp class he had a guy born Dominico Francisco Quilici (normal enough name) but by the time he became a Marine he was Corporal Saint Don Dominico HomoFreakian. He married a woman who changed her name to Peace HomoFreakian, and then within the last decade or so they have changed their names to Dude and Peace Jaway.