Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mst3kmann posted:

Tig Nataro's legendary Largo set is now available on Louis CK's site.

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live

I didn't have any feelings about this one way or the other until I read the e-mail from Louis I just got. Holy poo poo I couldn't give him my dollars fast enough.

Louis C.K. posted:

Greetings to the people and parts of people that are reading this. Hi. This is Louis. I'm a comedian and you bought a thing from me. Well, I'm writing to tell You that there is a new thing you can buy on my website louisck.com. It's an audio standup set by not me but another comedian named Tig Notaro. Why am I selling someone else's comedy on my website?

Well, Tig is a friend of mine and she is very funny. I love her voice on stage. One night I was performing at a club in LA called Largo. Tig was there. She was about to go on stage. I hadn't seen Tig in about a year and I said how are you? She replied "well I found out today that I have cancer in both breasts and that it has likely spread to my lymph nodes. My doctor says it looks real bad. ". She wasn't kidding. I said "uh. Jesus. Tig. Well. Do you... Have your family... Helping?". She said "well my mom was with me but a few weeks ago she fell down, hit her head and she died". She still wasn't kidding.

Now, I'm pretty stupid to begin with, and I sure didn't know what to say now. I opened my mouth and this came out. "jeez, Tig. I. Really value you. Highly.". She said "I value you highly too, Louie.". Then she held up a wad of note-paper in her hand and said "I'm gonna talk about all of it on stage now. It's probably going to be a mess". I said "wow". And with that, she went on stage.

I stood in the wings behind a leg of curtain, about 8 feet from her, and watched her tell a stunned audience "hi. I have cancer. Just found out today. I'm going to die soon". What followed was one of the greatest standup performances I ever saw. I can't really describe it but I was crying and laughing and listening like never in my life. Here was this small woman standing alone against death and simply reporting where her mind had been and what had happened and employing her gorgeously acute standup voice to her own death.

The show was an amazing example of what comedy can be. A way to visit your worst fears and laugh at them. Tig took us to a scary place and made us laugh there. Not by distracting us from the terror but by looking right at it and just turning to us and saying "wow. Right?". She proved that everything is funny. And has to be. And she could only do this by giving us her own death as an example. So generous.

After her set, I asked Mark Flanagan, the owner of Largo (great club, by the way) if he recorded the set. Largo is set up for excellent recordings. He said that he did.

A few days later, I wrote Tig and asked her if I could release this set on my site. I wanted people to hear what I saw. What we all saw that night. She agreed. The show is on sale for the same 5 dollars I charge for my stuff. I'm only keeping 1. She gets the other 4. Tig has decided to give some of that to cancer research.

Tig, by the way, has since undergone a double mastectomy. She is doing well. Her doctors say her chances of survival are excellent. So she went there and came back. Her report from the frontlines of life and death are here for you to... Enjoy.

Please go to my site louisck.com and buy her show. You can buy it here:

http://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live

Thank you. Have a terrific afternoon.

Louis C.K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
This set is best listened to in an extremely dusty room fyi.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I am trying to prepare myself mentally for this. But it's Tig.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.
Just bought and listened to it. It's tremendous, and the audience response will make your heart throb like a puppy just licked your face.

It's also pretty damned funny. She does a great job of conveying the comic absurdity of this huge pile of crap hitting her all at once.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Exactly what I expected and hoped for. Not necessarily the funniest set I've ever heard, but probably the best in recent memory by a good margin.

Really plays the whole thing up in the perfect way. It only took one or two jokes until the entire audience was on board.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why is Louis taking a dollar of it. Why not just upload it on his site for her and let her keep all the money.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Bandwidth, probably. She'd be getting money witheld regardless of who was putting it out anyway unless she had the means to do it herself.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Good bit of business, isn't it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Bandwidth, probably. She'd be getting money witheld regardless of who was putting it out anyway unless she had the means to do it herself.

That's...not true. He could have done an even more charitable thing and just put it up there for her, eating the bandwith cost, and just giving her 100% of the profit from her sales.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
It's not charity though?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

80% of the gross is better than what most stores would give her.

She could have made more money by setting up her own site, but 20% is a fair trade for effortless set up and an ad to the Louis CK mailing list.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I feel like people are overestimating how wealthy Louis CK is when they say he should just "eat the cost"

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

It's not charity though?

It is? Part of it is going to cancer research and I'm sure Tig is also using it to cover some medical bills.

I think it was super nice of Louie to do this, all I'm saying is I was surprised he was keeping ANY of it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

rear end Catchcum posted:

That's...not true. He could have done an even more charitable thing and just put it up there for her, eating the bandwith cost, and just giving her 100% of the profit from her sales.

He also could have not said what he's taking anyway and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

We all know Louis is known for being incredibly selfish and didn't at all split up the million dollars he made off of his first release to give bonuses to his staff, pay off the bandwidth, and donated to various charities. Nope, it was all about how much money he could keep to himself!

You're ridiculous. Take a minute and think about what you're saying. He isn't doing enough?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
A comedian of his stature should have just cured cancer before it could hit Tig.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Maarak posted:

A comedian of his stature should have just cured cancer before it could hit Tig.

Why just before it hit Tig? Why is he showing his friends preferential treatment? Shouldn't someone of his station be concerned with the welfare of the populace before his own personal desires? We did elect him to this position, after all.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I say we take back what is ours from those drat comedians! Who do they think they are, up their on their gilded thrones, eating caviar by the bucket full, hanging out in their privileged "comedy clubs", and releasing hours of comedy material, the time is now people!

Down with the Comediocracy!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The only money going to charity for this is the money that Tig is electing to give to charity from her take. I don't see why Louie asking for a bit, regardless of his reasons, is such a bad thing since he's the one hosting it and advertising it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

SpacePig posted:

The only money going to charity for this is the money that Tig is electing to give to charity from her take.

You don't know that for sure, though. It's totally possible that after Louis pays off the bandwidth fees and the people who run his site/put it together, he may give the extra money he makes to the charity Tig chooses (or just give it to Tig herself).

Maybe the people at the Largo asked Louis if they could have a small cut of the money because it will help keep the lights on, and Louis figured he would rather it come out of his take instead of Tig having to deal with it.

The point is only Louis knows exactly what the buck is for. I think it's wrong to look at it like Tig is only getting 80% and Louis is hoarding 20% for himself. It's more likely that Tig is receiving close to 100% of the actual profit and Louis will deal with all the other stuff. Just like others have mentioned, Louis isn't exactly rich enough to just eat those costs.

Does Louis really come across as the kind of guy who sees a friend going through rough times and thinks it's an opportunity to exploit it and profit from it?

Okay that was a lot of words for something that really shouldn't be an issue at all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The really jaded part of me thinks this was all set up from the beginning. Louis just happened to be out in LA to be a guest performer at Tig's show, the venue just happened to record the set, alot of big name comedians tweet that it the greatest show of anything ever, and Louis ends up talking her into selling it on his website.

Not that it's that big of a deal even if it's true (medical bills are a motherfucker) but I'm curious to see if it actually lives up to the hype.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sporadic posted:

The really jaded part of me

You mis-typed "crazy".

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
haha, guys, alright. I was just saying, the email from louis struck me as odd when I read "Tig gets 4, I'm just taking 1." I just read it as, why are you taking 1 at all? You could easily just throw the mp3 up there and eat the band with costs. Its not a million dollars in band with costs. I just thought it was odd he mentioned at all he was taking a dollar, or would even bother taking a dollar in the first place.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You mis-typed "crazy".

ta-mato to-mota

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sporadic posted:

The really jaded part of me thinks this was all set up from the beginning. Louis just happened to be out in LA to be a guest performer at Tig's show, the venue just happened to record the set, alot of big name comedians tweet that it the greatest show of anything ever, and Louis ends up talking her into selling it on his website.

Not that it's that big of a deal even if it's true (medical bills are a motherfucker) but I'm curious to see if it actually lives up to the hype.

As mentioned this is crazy. And yes, it lives up to the hype. I never thought I'd get to hear it, and it's actually better than I had imagined. This is way more than just a stand up set of jokes, which is something Tig is also very good at. Though I'm guessing it's not really going to persuade anyone that doesn't already like Tig. It may be on a different level than her usual stuff, but it's still very much the same sense of humor she's always had.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Also, comedy venues frequently record shows, that's not a red flag either. And in L.A. of all places you could expect comedians to run into each other working on material.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Are you going to sit there and tell me all these comedians just happen to live in New York and perform at the Comedy Cellar all the time?

bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You tellin me these people in a very niche entertainment venue with only a very small amount of 'big name' venues to play in fuckin know eachother? Nice try, buddy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It was actually viral marketing for those hilarious cancer greeting cards.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
"Tig, I got this idea. I want you to sell your very confessional and legendary set where you tell everyone you have cancer. And I'm going to keep a dollar of it."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

"Tig, I got this idea. I want you to sell your very confessional and legendary set where you tell everyone you have cancer. And I'm going to keep a dollar of it."

"Ok, that seems reasonable if you're going to do the work promoting it and putting it up for sale on your website, which I also know gets a lot more traffic than mine and will probably sell many more times over."

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What work in promoting it? Drafting a heartfelt letter for a friend who had double breastcancer and lost her mother a couple weeks before and then hitting Send To All on his mailing list?

Or copy and pasting the link on twitter?

You're right in that his site and online presence are bigger than hers, that's why it was a nice thing to do and probably why he suggested hosting it.

I'm just surprised he would even bother taking any of the money and not just giving it all to her. I find it a little opportunistic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Would you prefer it not be released at all, then, if Tig wasn't getting 100% of the proceeds?

I mean, I get where you're coming from to a certain extent, but I sincerely doubt he got the video from Largo for free, and I doubt Tig has the resources to release it this way, and may never have intended to release it like this in the first place. And it's not like he's holding the thing hostage, he made a deal with Tig and these are the terms the agreed on. What is the problem?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Some of you guys are pretty dumb.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Terry Gross interviewed her today about this.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/08/162514763/standup-comic-tig-notaro

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Would you prefer it not be released at all, then, if Tig wasn't getting 100% of the proceeds?

I mean, I get where you're coming from to a certain extent, but I sincerely doubt he got the video from Largo for free, and I doubt Tig has the resources to release it this way, and may never have intended to release it like this in the first place. And it's not like he's holding the thing hostage, he made a deal with Tig and these are the terms the agreed on. What is the problem?

It's not video, it's MP3, and yes, he most likely did get it from them for free. How do you think that conversation went? "Hey can Tig have the audio of her set from last week?" "Sure, but it'll cost you!" You think a club that is going to be mentioned as the place where she recorded, and is home to that many comics, is going to hold their sets hostage? These aren't open micers, these are the best of the best comics. The venue is most likely recording just as a courtesy to them, it's not like the venue is recording the material and selling it or stockpiling it to be put on a compliaton album. It's being recorded FOR the comics to use, whether it be for release of as an audio notepad while they're working stuff out.

You're right that Tig does not have the same means or ability that Louis does. It's not like Louis is Wal-Mart. He's a dude. And Tig is his friend. Imagine you had a friend who had a really popular website, and you get cancer and your mom dies and your girlfriend leaves you. And your friend is like "hey, listen, I'm a lot more popular than you, would you like me to put your audio file up on my site so you get the most exposure you can?" Oh yeah by the way your friend is a millionaire. He literally has a million dollars he made from selling his special and tickets to his shows directly because he is so famous and popular he can completely bypass the entire infrastructure that has been in place up until he decided he didn't want to do it that way anymore. And then, with all that in mind, while you're trying to figure out how you're going to pay off the recently incurred medical bills, your mom's funeral, and getting overwhelmed at the thought of being able to pay off the future bills for the cancer that will eventually comeback, your friend is like, "yeah and you know, I'll just take a a fifth of your profits." What? Why? Why the gently caress do you need to bother taking a dollar of it. Why can't you just do a nice thing and host the god drat mp3 file where she told everyone she has cancer, for free. It's a loving dollar. It just seems super petty to me.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 8, 2012

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It's a loving dollar. It just seems super petty to me.

Exactly. So calm down about it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Exactly. So calm down about it.

It's a millionaire taking a little money that he doesn't have to take from a person without a lot of money who needs money.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's a millionaire taking a little money that he doesn't have to take from a person without a lot of money who needs money.

Then you should email him about it because no one else in this thread cares.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Explain how he is taking anything from Tig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I explained my position up above. Taking might not be the right word, but not letting her have access to all of the money when he very well could describes what I'm talking about. I don't want to get into a semantics argument about it.