Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I explained my position up above. Taking might not be the right word, but not letting her have access to all of the money when he very well could describes what I'm talking about. I don't want to get into a semantics argument about it.

I bet when Louis told Tig he was going to keep a dollar, she walked up to him on her crutches and asked, "Um, please sir, may I have that dollar instead?", and Louis slapped her and said, "gently caress you bitch, that dollar is all mine! Mwah hahaha!" Then he tied her to some railroad tracks and twirled his mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Jesus, man, were you mugged by a balding pasty redhead this week?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Clearly I'm the only one who sees it this way, so, so be it. Again, it just struck me as odd that he just wouldn't let her take the whole thing since she really needs money and he's doing so well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Jesus, man, were you mugged by a balding pasty redhead this week?

To be fair wouldn't you be pretty pissed if you somehow got mugged by a guy like that?

Seriously though I'm hard on CK and all at times but goddamn, man's taking a dollar to recoup bandwidth and all, and of course she must have said this was ok, so why do you feel you need to fight it?

On that, I bought it the other day and it's totally worth it, I'm a fan of Tig's to begin with but man that was amazing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Glitterbomber posted:

To be fair wouldn't you be pretty pissed if you somehow got mugged by a guy like that?

Seriously though I'm hard on CK and all at times but goddamn, man's taking a dollar to recoup bandwidth and all, and of course she must have said this was ok, so why do you feel you need to fight it?

On that, I bought it the other day and it's totally worth it, I'm a fan of Tig's to begin with but man that was amazing.

I admittedly don't know how a lot of internet things work, but don't you buy bandwith in tiers/caps? So wouldn't he only be having to spend money out of pocket on bandwith if having Tig's mp3 file on there exceeded the amount of bandwith he already had?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

I admittedly don't know how a lot of internet things work, but don't you buy bandwith in tiers/caps? So wouldn't he only be having to spend money out of pocket on bandwith if having Tig's mp3 file on there exceeded the amount of bandwith he already had?

SWEET JESUS stop talking about it. Just leave the thread.

Anyway, I've heard so much about her set I'm glad it's finally out there for purchase.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
You don't know anything about how anything works if you think Largo gave up that recording for free. You're out of your loving mind.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Doing over a million dollars in sales on his last special doesn't make Louis a millionaire.

ANYWAY, I bought it but I haven't been able to psyche myself up to listen to it because I'm kind of a pussy.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Doing over a million dollars in sales on his last special doesn't make Louis a millionaire.

ANYWAY, I bought it but I haven't been able to psyche myself up to listen to it because I'm kind of a pussy.

but lol, he is a millionaire.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

indigi posted:

You don't know anything about how anything works if you think Largo gave up that recording for free. You're out of your loving mind.

no but you see Louis won 2 Emmys recently which means he can totally afford anything in the world and he isn't doing enough to help Tig.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh those statues are made of gold why doesn't he just melt them down and sell it

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Obviously Louie is a millionaire several times over. Obviously the Tig set won't sell enough to make a much of difference in bandwidth cost or the $1 notes Louie will be piling up.

Maybe he's going to start selling other comedians' stuff as well and he's setting a precedent of 1 for me, 4 for you?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I saw Chelsea Peretti twice this weekend and she's just great. She made fun of me for laughing really hard at one of her jokes.

DannoMack posted:

Same :(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

indigi posted:

You're a moron. Why do you think Largo WOULDN'T give them that set for free? They do in house recording as a service to comics. I'm sure they charge some comics to record there, and like, if it was a comic recording an album/etc, but on a night where they just had a tape running on a showcase, Sarah Silverman is not walking up the owner after and being like, "hey can I buy a copy of my set?"

The club got publicity from this and I guarantee that Tig got her set for free from Largo.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Also, Louie is doing very very well for himself. Why is anyone pretending that he's not? That's nothing to be ashamed of.

The guy is doing so loving well he single handedly changed how comedians distribute specials and sell tickets. Wake the gently caress up.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Also, Louie is doing very very well for himself. Why is anyone pretending that he's not? That's nothing to be ashamed of.

The guy is doing so loving well he single handedly changed how comedians distribute specials and sell tickets. Wake the gently caress up.

how much money does Louis CK have

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Can we please consciously differentiate between Louis and Louie? Louis C.K. is the comedian/actor/director. Louie is the character that Louis C.K. portrays on the show "Louie." Maybe that seems pedantic but it's driving me crazy, there's a reason he changed the spelling for the fictional character.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 9, 2012

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

manyak posted:

The thing is even though Im a younger Boy i can still go back and find Carlin, and Eddie Murphy and even like Lenny Bruce really funny so I understand the whole thing with comedy aging. Some guys are still funny even after all these years and people aping their style. But I cant imagine ever being like drat, this Sam Kinison bit is insanely funny even if it was new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zXsQ5QBfk

This poo poo sucks so hard

Sorry to interrupt the salacious argument about two good friends doing business together, one of whom is suffering a condition usually associated with personal charity, but it bears pointing out at about 50 seconds into this clip denigrating rappers there is a very young looking Ice-T apparently saying "Oh, gently caress you man," which sort of explains Kinison's appeal to people at the time (which I don't share either.)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

You're a moron. Why do you think Largo WOULDN'T give them that set for free? They do in house recording as a service to comics. I'm sure they charge some comics to record there, and like, if it was a comic recording an album/etc, but on a night where they just had a tape running on a showcase, Sarah Silverman is not walking up the owner after and being like, "hey can I buy a copy of my set?"

The club got publicity from this and I guarantee that Tig got her set for free from Largo.

Well, obviously, he's been to Largo so many times.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Son you obviously have no fuckin idea how the business works sooooooooo

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Son you obviously have no fuckin idea how the business works sooooooooo

when's the last time you saw a show at Largo? Are you headlining anywhere soon?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, I can't believe people are still talking about this.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe people are still talking about this.

I could give a poo poo about the "Louis CK-Tig Notaro Controversy" but some dude from Philly?? I think, telling people about how it works in L.A. irritates me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

I could give a poo poo about the "Louis CK-Tig Notaro Controversy" but some dude from Philly?? I think, telling people about how it works in L.A. irritates me.

lol I'm sorry about how stupid you are if you think any aspect of this is unique to Largo or the LA scene

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's a Jersey thing you won't get it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't think this forum's mod pays attention to this thread.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

BobTheCow posted:

Can we please consciously differentiate between Louis and Louie? Louis C.K. is the comedian/actor/director. Louie is the character that Louis C.K. portrays on the show "Louie." Maybe that seems pedantic but it's driving me crazy, there's a reason he changed the spelling for the fictional character.

Louie is a nickname for Louis. I don't think anyone is confused about whether they're talking about the real person or the character. If it bothers you, get it checked or something.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

indigi posted:

lol I'm sorry about how stupid you are if you think any aspect of this is unique to Largo or the LA scene

I honestly care more about this argument than my original Louis Keeping A Dollar campaign.

I do not know how Largo is set up, show wise. I've never been there. I'm not sure if they have open mics or only do 'bigger' shows there. I will go to bat for this though:

1) If they do showcase style shows where they have a bunch of comics on, and Largo offers to record them, they are either getting their set for free (especially if they are more established/famous comics) or for $5-20 dollars. Or, they are not offering to record the comics.

2) They generally do 'traditional' shows of host-feature-headliner and they either A) Record every show and do so as a service for the comics B) Record only special shows/album recordings and have paid to have a in house sound recording system as a way to appeal to touring comics to record their album there (and they may (and probably do) charge these comics for the use of this system).

Largo is not, without the comics consent, recording everyone's set and then being like, "If you want it, it's gonna cost ya!"

It's either a thing they do to be nice for the comics (and either offered to everyone from open mic'er to Patton) or it's something they only bust on on special shows because they've had it installed specifically for album recordings.

This isn't The Comedy Zone in your local mall or come Chi town open mic that bought a Flip cam and charges open mic'ers $5 for an mpeg file of their 3-5 minute set. This is one of the most respected and 'coolest' comedy places right now, and they build relationships with their comics. I will admit that I don't know how it's set up, and I doubt they are giving recordings away for free all the time (Or even recording all the time). I think they probably had a recording rig installed in the venue to record bigger things like albums and specials but that night, for whatever reason, it seems they were recording. Maybe because it was a showcase that had Tig, Louis, Bill Burr, etc etc etc and that's kind of a thing.

No matter what though, Tig was not charged. What the gently caress is going on in your head where LOUIS CK, the most popular comic with the most pull working today, calls up your club, and says, "Hey, you know Tig, the comic who we all love and is a regular at your club, you know that set she did at your club where she told everyone she had cancer in both her breasts and talked about her own mortality, any chance you were recording that night? Oh you were, great. Oh OK I'll paypal you 19.95 for the DVD thanks a lot."

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 9, 2012

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Please keep talking. This is loving amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

Sorry to interrupt the salacious argument about two good friends doing business together, one of whom is suffering a condition usually associated with personal charity, but it bears pointing out at about 50 seconds into this clip denigrating rappers there is a very young looking Ice-T apparently saying "Oh, gently caress you man," which sort of explains Kinison's appeal to people at the time (which I don't share either.)

My favorite thing Sam Kinison ever said was that Whoopi Goldberg was popular because the whole world got together and decided not to hurt her feelings.

And, yeah... That's about it, I guess.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DannoMack posted:

You don't need to psyche yourself up for it. Pretend you're actually at the show and you have no idea what's about to happen.

Also, you can hear Louis and Tig talk about it on NPR's Fresh Air episode from Monday. Tig is on for 28 minutes and Louis is on for 18.
http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

And I don't know if it is relevant to the conversation (dick-waving argument) here, but Tig talks about what a difference it was moving from Denver to LA, in terms of the comedy scenes.

DangerDummy! posted:

My favorite thing Sam Kinison ever said was that Whoopi Goldberg was popular because the whole world got together and decided not to hurt her feelings.

And, yeah... That's about it, I guess.

I don't like Kinison either but that... is hilarious.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Does TJ Miller have any more specials/albums/whatever besides No Real Reason? I just saw that recently and I really liked it. I love really goofy comics like him and Pete Holmes and Todd Glass.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does TJ Miller have any more specials/albums/whatever besides No Real Reason? I just saw that recently and I really liked it. I love really goofy comics like him and Pete Holmes and Todd Glass.

He has a mixtape album and then a remix of that mixtape album and a podcast.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

escape artist posted:

I don't like Kinison either but that... is hilarious.

Kinison is only funny if you are an angry person who reacts that way to adversity on some level (the screaming/swearing, I mean). His act relied on audience familiarity to a big extent, kind of like Lewis Black today.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

CombineThresher posted:

kind of like Lewis Black today.

in other words, bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

RobBorer posted:

in other words, bad

When Lewis Black started doing USO shows they kidnapped and brainwashed him into someone who isn't that funny but also loves the troops.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't think I've heard anything since the Carnegie Hall album. Has he really gotten that bad?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SpacePig posted:

I don't think I've heard anything since the Carnegie Hall album. Has he really gotten that bad?

Terrible. He rambles and stutters and stumbles around stale topics in silence until HE GETS REALLY LOUD which gets him laughs or he makes goofy faces which get him pity applause.

He went from an interesting guy with relevant jokes (at least for the time) to old man "gee whiz can you believe these cell phones? it's like a computer in my hand!" observations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Black went from 'oh, ok I can enjoy a guy getting angry about minor things, that's funny' to him just confused about things he doesn't understand and being super loud about it, and I'm pretty sure most of us have grandpas to get that kind of conversation out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think he was the only comedian who legitimately WAS affected by George Bush's departure.