Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Psion posted:

0/10 troll post, didn't mention the word stagger once
MAD ABOUT GETH

but yes, they were easily killable in a map with grabs because they had no way to displace you. Geth Bombers fill that role now - I don't think farming geth is as easy as it was with that addition alone.

Stagger? What's stagger? Real men play Krogan. :smug:

Geth farming isn't as easy but they are still the least lovely enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It's amusing just how much Bioware doesn't get their own game. Months spent turning the geth into a bullet-sponge stagger machine, and then they finally wise up and fix geth farming not just one but three ways: changed map, pyro grabs, and the Bomber. Any one of those (well, maybe not the grabs) would have been enough on its own, but with the last two combined with all those pre-Retaliation changes, they're set up to not just make you sorry if you ever got out of cover, but make drat sure that you have to. Which makes you sorry for playing them at all.

Also, I'm starting to get the whining about the Dragoons. Those fuckers are fast, and they really like to invade your personal space. Feels like those cheap PvP tactics where people try to orbit each other to make tracking difficult. Like the developers are intentionally using lag against us as a weapon. Firing while basically sprinting would be my only concrete complaint, though. Touch their speed down to Phantoms' and they'd be fine.

Psion posted:

also Collectors may be totally ridiculous, the Praetorian instakill is really brutal (it basically scoops out your brain Starship Troopers style) but man. Satisfying to win against them.

Really? The only time I've had it happen to me I was cloaked, so I couldn't really tell what was going on. Maybe it was better that way. :ohdear:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Felinoid posted:

Really? The only time I've had it happen to me I was cloaked, so I couldn't really tell what was going on. Maybe it was better that way. :ohdear:

They pin you with the four front arms and then chunk one right into your braincase from the top. It's brutal.

I'm really starting to like the Collector rifle. No recoil (seriously, none) and decent damage. It'll be pretty good on my Turian Havoc. Probably decent on the Destroyer too.

also, bought a Spectre pack for the hell of it since it was the end of the night, got a Volus adept. :dance:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Dragoons are also pretty hard to stagger. Much harder than Phantoms anyway. I can smash a Dragoon in the face with a rage powered krogan heavy melee, and they will sometimes not even flinch, continuing to Smash my poor squishy teammates.

In all, I think most people have settled into the new faction setups, but I still feel a few tweaks are in order:

Remove bomber shields.
Remove a few Geth stagger abilities.
Possibly reduce Geth's overall health pools a bit.
Do something about the scion firing staggering prime shots that act like banshee warps.
Slow down the dragoons just a touch.

Sure, the game would remain plenty fun if they stopped patching it now, but I get the feeling most people agree with those changes.

:qq: aside, I think I and a few goons ran into one of the worst pubbies last night. This individual playing his Fury went down more often than a suburban girl on prom night. Like, holy crap, it seemed that every time anything looked at him, he was down. I believe Elotana was with me, watching this terrible moron die every three seconds, and me picking his rear end up over and over so there would be another target for the enemies to shoot at. I think we dragged his sorry rear end through the last Platinum round he's ever likely to see through to completion.

Can't remember the last time I actually had to use all five of my missiles, and almost all of my medi-gel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psion posted:

They pin you with the four front arms and then chunk one right into your braincase from the top. It's brutal.

I'm really starting to like the Collector rifle. No recoil (seriously, none) and decent damage. It'll be pretty good on my Turian Havoc. Probably decent on the Destroyer too.

also, bought a Spectre pack for the hell of it since it was the end of the night, got a Volus adept. :dance:

I thought the Scion one was more brutal, where they smash you to the ground, then pound your skull in with their big arm.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

Dragoons are also pretty hard to stagger. Much harder than Phantoms anyway. I can smash a Dragoon in the face with a rage powered krogan heavy melee, and they will sometimes not even flinch, continuing to Smash my poor squishy teammates.

Try light melee. When I was playing on my Shadow earlier today, I found out that they don't give a flying gently caress about her heavy melee, but the light melee (just the first stroke, even) staggered them every single time. :iiam:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
ugh gently caress Bioware. I did a Gold/Collectors/Reactor where

1)My Kroguard couldn't take cover at all
2)Charge would maybe possibly work unless you looked at it wrong
3)The reactor wouldn't do it's purge cycle

So basically I died a shitload and felt like a total drag on the team (still got 2nd highest score before we all wiped on wave 9).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guhhh. Went into Gold/Goddess/Collectors with my Human Female Engineer and I had the worst loving teammates. They died constantly, and I had to deal with the remainder of a wave by myself, which was loving hard and then the very next wave they were all taking a dirt nap and leaving the rest of the wave to me all over again.

At the very least having to fight a bunch of Collectors completely solo made me realize that the best way to fight them is to just run constantly. The best weapon I had wasn't a constant loop of Tech Bursts and Fire Explosions, it was distance. Gotta put distance between yourselves and the exploding trash mobs (Seekers + Abominations), gotta stop yourself from getting cornered by multiple Troopers/Captains (seriously, THIS will kill you quicker than anything), and above all you cannot stay in one place and let Possessed Scions just loving carpet bomb you all day or let a Praetorian leap in and start brain-scooping people or use that loving laser.

So, lo and behold, once I ran out of Medi-Gel dragging these idiots through about four consecutive waves and got executed, the first thing they did was hold up in one room, get blasted by Seeker Swarms, cornered by Troopers and Captains and carpet bombed by Possessed Scions, run through all their missiles and medi-gel in about five seconds and all get executed. :v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Getting the lone wolf tag has made me realize the game is easier solo then with bad teammates.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Depending on how you go about you are probably also reminded how Biotic Charge is the best and most broken ability ever added to the Mass Effect series.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Depending on how you go about you are probably also reminded how Biotic Charge is the best and most broken ability ever added to the Mass Effect series.

Certainly is for the Krogan. Full shields instantly is amazing.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I still want a Turian Vanguard who has a tech charge. Especially now tech bursts/explosions are a thing now.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

TwistedLadder posted:

I have a flamethrower geth turret and I've been getting points for both geth turret and sentry turret with it.

I'm seeing the same thing. I think the Flamethrower points count toward Sentry Turret and the long range projectile points go to Geth Turret. I'm actually happy about that because it means I don't have to play the terrible QFE for the Sentry Turret challenge.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Houdini posted:

I still want a Turian Vanguard who has a tech charge. Especially now tech bursts/explosions are a thing now.
It's called "Turian Havoc Soldier" and yes, it sets off tech bursts.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

It's called "Turian Havoc Soldier" and yes, it sets off tech bursts.

It's not always super reliable though. I seem to have difficulties getting an ice burst or fire burst off his powers sometimes. I think the charge just has some strange hit detection for bursts that I haven't figured out yet.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Houdini posted:

Shadow Strike is the tech version of Charge, I think, and it can prime explosions.

Oh God invisible turian swordmasters. I want that.

I do agree we need a Turian Vanguard though, not to mention a Turian Adept. I'd like to see them with new moves as well. I did see a cool idea for an ability that would basically cast Slam on all enemies in an upgradeable radius around the user. Maybe they could have that, or keep the same idea but make the power something other than Slam.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

I do agree we need a Turian Vanguard though, not to mention a Turian Adept. I'd like to see them with new moves as well. I did see a cool idea for an ability that would basically cast Slam on all enemies in an upgradeable radius around the user. Maybe they could have that, or keep the same idea but make the power something other than Slam.
Pull/Lift would be easy to implement- there's already two abilities which do that (lift grenade and barrier) and could be pretty fun. Something a bit cagier but potentially much better would be simply priming everyone in the area.

e: according to BSN, abominations won't explode if you sever the head. This merits testing.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 15, 2012

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Lagomorphic posted:

Bombers are a non-issue for Kroguard though you can just time your charge for when their bombs explode then backhand them to up your rage count and avoid all damage from the explosion. I'm finding them less troublesome the more I fight them they have a pretty predicitible animation set that they run through with each bombing run.

On the other hand, I've had issues charging into Bombers - sometimes I can charge them when they're at normal height, sometimes I can charge them when they fly higher to drop bombs, and sometimes I can't charge them at all. Maybe it's lag, though.

Complete aside - is it me, or is tough to find FB Jade Gold games on XBox? FBW remains the most popular, and Dagger, Glacier and Giant pop up occasionally, but everyone runs away if I try to start a Jade match. A shame, too, since it's my favorite map - it offers a combination of close and long-range fighting, while not being unmanageably large.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

surrender posted:

On the other hand, I've had issues charging into Bombers - sometimes I can charge them when they're at normal height, sometimes I can charge them when they fly higher to drop bombs, and sometimes I can't charge them at all. Maybe it's lag, though.

Complete aside - is it me, or is tough to find FB Jade Gold games on XBox? FBW remains the most popular, and Dagger, Glacier and Giant pop up occasionally, but everyone runs away if I try to start a Jade match. A shame, too, since it's my favorite map - it offers a combination of close and long-range fighting, while not being unmanageably large.

It's one of the more difficult Platinum maps, there aren't many good spots to camp that don't leave you either completely exposed or unable to escape if you need to. On Gold and below it shouldn't really matter though, and the aesthetics are quite nice so that's a plus. The only map I truly dislike is London and I might reconsider joining a game if it's Collectors/FBL with teammates I don't know.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
While bombers are pretty trivial for a Krogan or a Slayer or anyone who can pound them safely, I keep getting into hacks from hell where everyone's either dead or reviving because there's a constant stream of bombers carpet-bombing the circle while bosses run a train on anyone still standing.

Re: zxqv8's suggestion to take away their shields: They seem to have a LOT of armor, judging from gunshots/overlords it takes to kill them. They could probably just lower the armor a bit, since their goal is to flush people out of cover, not to destroy parties without a Vanguard.

Huh. You even get the "____ unlocked achievement ____!" messages on the main menu computer if there's an unaccepted friend request.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

zxqv8 posted:

Dragoons are also pretty hard to stagger. Much harder than Phantoms anyway.

They're susceptible to neural shock overload which wont do any damage but at least slows them down. Ballistic blades work wonders as well.

In fact, batarian soldier has got to be up there as one of the best kits right now. He lacks the raw damage output of say a Fury or Paladin but he gets a lot of damage resistance thanks to blade armor, stagger on demand thanks to ballistic blades and stagger resistance himself and fire grenades give him brutal anti armor/spawn clearing capability. Slap a big gun on him like the Graal or Crusader and he pretty much has an answer to everything.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
Volus Engineer is awesome. Not just you can keep the shields of your team up, you can direct fire AND blow poo poo up with huge explosions by using Recon Mine. It's like some kind of psychological effect which draws people to fire and focus on mobs seen through walls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Do you think they'll be some more class cards released this week? Really wanna try out the Vorchaneer and stealth Asari.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
About 6 packs in a row I got the Raider and the Argus. Give me the Turian Havoc :argh: (got the last card for Volus Engineer though)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

exquisite tea posted:

Do you think they'll be some more class cards released this week? Really wanna try out the Vorchaneer and stealth Asari.

As far as I know they haven't announced any thing but here's my :speculate:

I expect that we'll either see one new class added to packs in the weakly balance update this week or the next or a larger batch a few weeks down the line. It really depends on how long they're planning on stretching this DLC out for and whether they plan on releasing classes one at a time or in batches. I think we have 12 classes to be released still so one a week with the next DLC coming in 13 weeks would seem like a realistic schedule.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I am a Level Five Laser Lotus. Also, Biotic God. Now to try and make that appear on the lobby screen, because for some reason the wrong XBL profile is linked to my EA account...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want a class that has both Pull and Throw just for ragdoll fun.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

shadok posted:

I am a Level Five Laser Lotus. Also, Biotic God. Now to try and make that appear on the lobby screen, because for some reason the wrong XBL profile is linked to my EA account...

You can set it in game from the challenge menu. They're be an option "(x) set as active title" that pops up on the bottom when you can a completed challenge highlighted.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lagomorphic posted:

You can set it in game from the challenge menu. They're be an option "(x) set as active title" that pops up on the bottom when you can a completed challenge highlighted.

I did not notice that. Thanks!

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I kind of like the M-11 Wraith. Sadly, mine is only level 2 but its probably the first weapon I will get an achievement on, as I have been running in on my KroGuard with choke/pierce.

Finally got the N7 Vanguard last night- suggested weapons for that class (assuming I ever stop playing Insane Melee KroGuard).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah.I don't think it was mentioned in any of the announcements Bioware made about the challenges either. I just noticed it while checking my progress on a challange.

For the Slayer you're mostly using powers so any light gun will do. You really only use your gun for finishing off trash without wasting barrier/cooldown. I'm actually thinking about trying the Eagle on mine since it holds a melee mod and sprays bullets.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 15, 2012

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I want a class that has both Pull and Throw just for ragdoll fun.

The Sentinel class in the first Mass Effect had Lift and Throw powers. At higher levels you could lift just about any enemy into the air and then blast it into low planetary orbit. It was a little overpowered, and also hilarious.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

I expect that we'll either see one new class added to packs in the weakly balance update this week or the next or a larger batch a few weeks down the line. It really depends on how long they're planning on stretching this DLC out for and whether they plan on releasing classes one at a time or in batches. I think we have 12 classes to be released still so one a week with the next DLC coming in 13 weeks would seem like a realistic schedule.
One class at a time is kinda lame, though. I think they'll release four at a time, like they did now, and hopefully no more than two weeks apart from each other.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The game decided a banshee had grabbed me but I had already charged another enemy elsewhere so I suddenly levitated and dropped dead. Two others fell in similar fashion and I spent 7 minutes watching an inept Paladin kiting two banshees. He ineffectively attacked with cryo explosions and a Disciple until he finally died. We asked him to use a missile but he didn't, apparently not having any. He also didn't appear to have energy drain at all.

Lagomorphic posted:

There were a bunch of threads on BSN speculating it would be one a week (mostly complaining that it would take months for everything to be out in that case even though they're already done working on it), a dev showed up and said we shouldn't complain about what they're doing until we know what they're doing without actually saying anything. Since he didn't deny it that's probably their plan.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last multiplayer DLC too, especially if they have a long trickle of content coming from this one.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Also I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last multiplayer DLC too, especially if they have a long trickle of content coming from this one.

I don't know it seems like a lot of effort to put a new faction in if you're not planning on keeping the game going. I'd expect at least one more DLC with hazard versions of some of the DLC maps and more classes and the firefight pack guns from SP. There's enough powers already in the game that they can make interesting new classes just by mixing up the existing powers.

Basically there is enough existing assets in the game already to due another DLC with a minimum of effort so I'd expect them to at least do that. Also there will be new single player DLC to use assets from as well. It's not too hard to do up Firebase Omega when the SP team already has all the textures and stuff done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There were a bunch of threads on BSN speculating it would be one a week (mostly complaining that it would take months for everything to be out in that case even though they're already done working on it), a dev showed up and said we shouldn't complain about what they're doing until we know what they're doing without actually saying anything. Since he didn't deny it that's probably their plan.

I think the Omega DLC might get a corresponding MP component if mercs are an enemy faction, but on the other hand it might just be plain old Collectors/Cerberus. It's set to release in late November, which would roughly line up with the rate at which they're putting out new MP content. I thought they were done releasing DLC after Rebellion so I've been pleasantly surprised so far. Realistically, as long as people keep funneling money into reinforcement packs, there will be more and more content. Biobux for custom nameplates and icons seem inevitable.

On that note having gotten Biotic God for starters, I think my first "difficult" achievement will have to be Blood Pack. The icon is awesome and it's got some of my favorite classes in there, but the grind seems pretty daunting. I looked at the Graal achievement like "heh no big deal" until I realized you need to do 200 thousand damage with it. I think I'll get 200 waves on my VorSent before hitting that challenge.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah, between the trickle and the automation of the challenges, I think they're packing it in on MP DLC. Pull most of the team off and use them elsewhere, leaving just enough for balance changes and PR, while trying not to let on. I certainly hope that's wrong, but mostly because I'm O/CD twitching a little at the thought that there will be one fewer Sentinel and Vanguard than the rest of the classes.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Once the RealBux ----> SpaceBux spending drops to a certain level, then the new content will probably dry up. I am hoping we get a few balance changes in the interim.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It really all depends on what they do with the latest batch of content. If they dump four classes a week it will take only about a month and the likelihood of more content is higher I think. If they decide to drag it out for months I think it's an indication they're trying to milk whatever they have left before moving on to the next game. This DLC is already a case of taking existing powers and shuffling them around, after this first batch none of the characters bring anything we haven't seen before to the table. They even look the same as the old ones.

As far as Omega, I personally think the likelihood of enemy merc factions is pretty low, they're on Aria's side and the storyline is following the comic series where Cerberus took over the station with the help of a horde of reaper creatures called Adjutants (who were going to appear in ME3 but were cut). I think it's pretty obvious who we're going to be fighting in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Maybe the Reapers get a new unit though. If they could replace a few of the Banshee spawns with something that doesn't have a synckill that would be pretty swell.

Also when they add a pack with a guaranteed ultrarare for real money that's when I'll assume that they're cashing out.

• Locked thread