Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mojo Jojo posted:

$10 is a solid price for a punt on this, but I'm slightly concerned about their lack of ambition.

That said, the stretch goals are peppered with some nice ideas.

Lack of ambition as far as the funding goal, or something else? The game they're going for seems fairly ambitious to me. They've explain that they all plan to sink their personal resources into this; that and the fact that they live in Poland, which is apparently very cheap, is their explanation for the low initial goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Sefer posted:

Lack of ambition as far as the funding goal, or something else? The game they're going for seems fairly ambitious to me. They've explain that they all plan to sink their personal resources into this; that and the fact that they live in Poland, which is apparently very cheap, is their explanation for the low initial goal.

To me, their project comes across as trying to replicate MoO2. I'd like them to shoot for something more than a 3D remake of an old game really.

Even if it happened to be a bloody excellent old game.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mojo Jojo posted:

To me, their project comes across as trying to replicate MoO2. I'd like them to shoot for something more than a 3D remake of an old game really.

Even if it happened to be a bloody excellent old game.

I'd honestly be pretty happy if it were just that. Back when I heard MoO3 was being made, I commented to a friend that I'd be happy if it were just MoO2 with better graphics and more diplomacy and espionage options. I'm pretty sure we'd all be happier if MoO3 were more like that than it turned out to be.

However, MORE seems like a lot more than just a remake. Their stated goal is to replicate the experience and feel of playing MoO2, not copy the game directly. There are 189 different galaxy types, there are 20 races that each interact differently with the 15 planet types, each race has a unique branch on the tech tree, you build spaceships by assembling 3d pieces... it feels to me like they're building a lot on the ideas MoO2 had rather than simply remaking the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There are two hours to go for Sword of Fargoal 2 and after herculean effort in the last few days are just over 10k from goal. I hope they make it - the 1982 original (by the same programmer) is a classic early Roguelike and it should translate perfectly to modern devices. Link is below if anybody wants to pledge - you'll get the iOS version for as little as $8 or the desktop version for $15.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fargoal/sword-of-fargoal-2-classic-dungeon-crawler-adventu?ref=live

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Fargoal 2 made it with $50,161. Skin of the teeth!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Fargoal 2 made it with $50,161. Skin of the teeth!

There was barely one and a half minute left in the kickstarter as it hit its goal. I hope that after fees that's still enough for what they needed.

srand
Oct 8, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Why is kickstarter so horrible to navigate?

You should see the back-end interface. The editor ... oh god, the editor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

evilmiera posted:

There was barely one and a half minute left in the kickstarter as it hit its goal. I hope that after fees that's still enough for what they needed.

Sensible people set their goals to account for the fees. I believe Kickstarter actually warn you in advance to do this.

Great to hear that it made it though - they had to make up something like 40% of their tally in the last 48 hours. My $19 was well spent.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That pulp sci-fi game Jack Houston and the Necronauts had one of its $10,000 pledges fall through, putting it under-budget. They're currently trying to raise the remaining money through Paypal here.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was about to ask, 'What the gently caress, again?!', but then I realized that link is from the end of August and they've since managed to claw their way back past their minimum. Not very far past, but past.

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho
It seems literally unbelievable to me that Blackspace isn't going to make it's goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Urdnot Fire posted:

That pulp sci-fi game Jack Houston and the Necronauts had one of its $10,000 pledges fall through, putting it under-budget. They're currently trying to raise the remaining money through Paypal here.

Haha, yeah. It's definitely a thing that can happen and it sucks, but it's a bit disingenuous to speak of that instance as though it were happening currently.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Whoops, sorry, saw it in another thread and didn't look at the date of the article :downs:

The Vampirate posted:

It seems literally unbelievable to me that Blackspace isn't going to make it's goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive
To be fair, $350k is quite a large goal.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The Vampirate posted:

For me, it's probably because this is the first I've ever heard anything about it.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
It looks like a reasonable goal for the game they want to make, but I think they'd need to have a bigger rabbid community than they currently do in order to fund something like that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Here's the stream of the Fargoal 2 guys watching their campaign getting funded at literally the last minute (and then watching the total start dropping and freaking out): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/15/sword-of-fargoal-2-is-surely-the-closest-kickstarter-yet/. Tense as hell.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Scorchy posted:

Here's the stream of the Fargoal 2 guys watching their campaign getting funded at literally the last minute (and then watching the total start dropping and freaking out): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/15/sword-of-fargoal-2-is-surely-the-closest-kickstarter-yet/. Tense as hell.
I take it they didn't know that once you reach the funding threshold you can't be unfunded in the final 24 hours.Those final minutes are really hard to watch.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

There's a new Kickstarter by the team behind the racing game Nitronic Rush. They're asking for $125k to make a larger-scale spiritual successor to their first game. It's looking pretty good so far, and they've certainly have a history of good games behind them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

The Vampirate posted:

I'm backing it, but they probably should have let it percolate on Greenlight a bit before putting up the Kickstarter. This thread is the only place I've ever seen anyone talk about it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Thewittyname posted:

I'm backing it, but they probably should have let it percolate on Greenlight a bit before putting up the Kickstarter. This thread is the only place I've ever seen anyone talk about it.
They're too early for Greenlight. If you throw something up there too early, it'll sink like a stone - and then you've largely blown your shot on the site. (you're already marked as "not interested" by a bunch of potential players, who then won't ever see your game again, even once it gets polished up)

EDIT: Not that their game looks bad, just, you generally want to hold off on your Greenlight run until you've got the fanbase to push it. Kickstarters, on the other hand, can be re-run as many times as you like, with the second push usually doing better than the first.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know it has its own thread, but it seems worth reminding the thread here that Project Eternity is only a few hours to close, if you wanted to wait until the last minute to see if they made all their stretch goals (they did) before backing.

Also noteworthy is the fact that they sent out an e-mail about a new awesome $350 tier, and even though I had my inbox window open, clicked on the e-mail, got excited and went to consider changing my pledge, the 30 they offered were already sold out before I got there. Opulence: they has it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Quarex posted:

see if they made all their stretch goals (they did)

Not true! There is one last stretch goal at $4m, and that's to make Chris Avellone play through Arcanum. I seriously want that stretch goal more than I wanted any of the others, but I don't think they're going to make it. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Would Chris Avellone's Arcanum playthrough be streamed or anything or would he just play it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Would Chris Avellone's Arcanum playthrough be streamed or anything or would he just play it?

They haven't said.

That goal also comes with live orchestra for the soundtrack and :siren: developer commentary for the entire game :siren:, though. In-game developer commentary is like crack for me. I hope they hit it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
They make it sound like playing Arcanum is a punishment, I liked that game, combat aside of course.

Okay, maybe I just liked playing a mentally challenged dwarf with a magnetic top hat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

seorin posted:

Not true! There is one last stretch goal at $4m, and that's to make Chris Avellone play through Arcanum. I seriously want that stretch goal more than I wanted any of the others, but I don't think they're going to make it. :(
They have 4 hours to make about 130K, they'll make it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

He was joking on the stream they'd film Tim Cain's face while he played it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

AxeManiac posted:

They make it sound like playing Arcanum is a punishment, I liked that game, combat aside of course.

Okay, maybe I just liked playing a mentally challenged dwarf with a magnetic top hat.
It depends if we're talking modded or unmodded Arcanum. Unmodded was tortuous, but modded? It was fun, drat it.

I enjoyed being a grenade-chucking steam punk hero, said grenades being made from bits scavenged from rubbish bins. I also enjoyed that chucking a grenade took no movement points, meaning you could grenade spam anything that gave you trouble.

Those golemn things that gave everyone trouble? Pfffffft.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
This looks... amusing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythstarter/mythstarter?ref=recently_launched

A Kickstarter for Myth 4, a series which seems to be much beloved by goons. It doesn't seem to be official, though. Be warned.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

:psyduck: How on Earth do they think they'll raise $450k in 15 days? Why would they choose such a short timespan? It's because it ends on Halloween for dumb reason, isn't it?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, this one's a no. If only because of the use of caps here:

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, this one's a no. If only because of the use of caps here:
That's not as bad as their company name: R34L T1m3 Games

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There is nothing about that Kickstarter that is not poo poo. From the awful spreadsheet/chart they have that attempts to show what you get for pledging at various levels to the horrific art on all the images to the semi-literate writing style... yeah... I think I won't be pledging.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Any game that lets backers design a level is a game I immediately don't want to play.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Any game that lets backers design a level is a game I immediately don't want to play.
You don't want all the levels to be filled with ponies and Homestuck trolls?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

You don't want all the levels to be filled with ponies and Homestuck trolls?

You make a convincing argument, but I'll pass.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
So these people are just modders? They didn't have anything to do with Myth 1&2? Isn't that why Myth 3 sucked?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

NmareBfly posted:

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

It's like jagged chewed-off nails on a chalkboard mounted directly in my inner ear. Ow ow ow ow ow.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilaliens/orbitor

Here's a somewhat interesting looking space action adventurey game. Appears to be nearing the end of its run and struggling to get close to what it needs, which is a shame because the concept seems kind of neat. The game itself appears to be almost finished, apparently they're just kickstarting for things like licensing costs and stuff that I don't really understand.

Also they're based in the same city as me so I kind of want success for them on that basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think the "Myth" 4 guys picked a very short timer simply as the longest they think they can go without word spreading about them being a scam while giving them all the nostalgia money that is already pouring in.