Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I can't even imagine trying to localize a game like this- almost everything is a Western pop culture reference of one manner or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Wait, what? Which quests are these? I've never had important quest items go down a cliff unless it was a "kill this kind of monster for these things" and that just entailed "find another of that kind of monster to kill." And that only happened with flying monsters, like Rakks or Buzzards.

The quest where pickup the Ellie Statues after you build the Bandit Technical, one of the quest cars literally threw itself off a cliff and took the item with it. Can't remember which quest this is, but I killed the item holder near a ledge and the item went off the ledge and landed on a pipe I cannot jump down to (I die about 5 feet above it). And the Mutated Varka, I died, respawned and ran to where it was, gone. I explored all of that map, I found Anarchy symbols before I found the Mutated Varka :suicide:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, just restart your mission and the guys with the Ellie ornaments will spawn again. No big.

The Mutated Varkids are ones you create so you can make as many as you want. Go stab some more cocoons with TMNT ooze!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't even imagine trying to localize a game like this- almost everything is a Western pop culture reference of one manner or another.
Yeah. With the exception of the Yakuza series, the Japanese games we get localized over here aren't the MOST Japanese games there are, they don't even bother with those. However, Western publishers are so much more aggressive with seeking all the world's markets that they will at least attempt to sell in Japan with almost anything, but it usually leads to half-assed localizations like this. The most amazing thing to me is that EA sells (at least) its NBA games in Japan not translated at all, except for just the manual. The reviews in Famitsu always take a few points off and say "Well, since it's all in English I can barely understand any of it..."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 30, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, that's kind of funny. Terrible and a disservice to their costumers, but still funny.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

The General posted:

The quest where pickup the Ellie Statues after you build the Bandit Technical, one of the quest cars literally threw itself off a cliff and took the item with it. Can't remember which quest this is, but I killed the item holder near a ledge and the item went off the ledge and landed on a pipe I cannot jump down to (I die about 5 feet above it).
You don't even have to save and quit for that. Or chase after that one. In my experience, every single "kill lots of these to get some of these things for this quest giver" quests will constantly spawn more of what you need to kill until you get enough quest thingers.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Yeah, just restart your mission and the guys with the Ellie ornaments will spawn again. No big.

The Mutated Varkids are ones you create so you can make as many as you want. Go stab some more cocoons with TMNT ooze!

I'll give restarting the quest a whirl. As for the Varka's it wouldn't let me mutate another, as I had tried several times. I'll check it out nexttime I boot it up.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I killed the warrior a few times tonight for items. Is there a way to get at items that his corpse is laying on? I've had to run through hero's pass again just to make his body disappear so I could get at them. Am I missing something?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

smallmouth posted:

I killed the warrior a few times tonight for items. Is there a way to get at items that his corpse is laying on? I've had to run through hero's pass again just to make his body disappear so I could get at them. Am I missing something?

The only way is to leave the vault and run through all those hyperion dudes again to get back. So its not really worth it unless he's sitting on a legendary.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

I'll give restarting the quest a whirl. As for the Varka's it wouldn't let me mutate another, as I had tried several times. I'll check it out nexttime I boot it up.
When I was on that quest once the mutated varkid killed me and then when I respawned the thing literally disappeared off the face of the earth, but it was still registering as alive so I couldn't mutate another one. Restarting the game let me mutate another one and go from there.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
In my TVHM playthrough, I had the second of the four assassins fall into an abyss when I thoughtlocked a Super Badass Psycho and the temporary ally knocked him off the platform in the one spot that there was no railing.

Save and quit, return to the game, the quest item was on the ground and I didn't have to beat either of the first two assassins again (I had not shut down my 360 yet; YMMV). So it's not like Fallout 3 where some quests are impossible to finish due to glitches--at least in my experience.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Finally found an Unhinged Hoarder mod - thing gives 5 to Lay Waste and 4 to 5 Shots or 6. Thus, I changed my loadout to THIS. After playing around with it for a few hours I didn't once encounter the weird bug where one of the guns just won't reload unless you actually hit the reload button while Gunzerking. So maybe it's just Inconceivable that does it? I dunno. Anyways it's great- fast fast fast fire rates and basically a constant bonus from Divergent Likeness as well as 5 Shots sometimes giving me a ridiculous amount of bullets in a clip (still seem to be unloading the mags fast enough that Locked and Loaded is pretty much always on). Was hesitant to move away from the Berserker mod, but I mean I barely ever run out of 'Zerk with this build anyway. Next thing to try is an Altered Beast mod build, since I just picked up a purple one when I killed Saturn. Is Come At Me Bro worth it? Seems kinda underwhelming compared to the other two bottom-tree skills...

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 30, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
So far I've totally ignored the Brawn tree because it's full of things that are extra health/shields/moving instead of shooting ludicrous amounts of ammunition. Pass.

velcro and proud
Mar 31, 2005

I love baseball, apple pie...and your mom.

So hey, I've got the day off and nothing productive to do. Let's blow some poo poo up, yeah?

Have a level 29 Gaige, 27 Axton, and various lowbies. I don't care if you want to start fresh. I'm easy.

GT: BloatedOsprey

velcro and proud fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 30, 2012

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The General posted:

The quest where pickup the Ellie Statues after you build the Bandit Technical, one of the quest cars literally threw itself off a cliff and took the item with it. Can't remember which quest this is, but I killed the item holder near a ledge and the item went off the ledge and landed on a pipe I cannot jump down to (I die about 5 feet above it). And the Mutated Varka, I died, respawned and ran to where it was, gone. I explored all of that map, I found Anarchy symbols before I found the Mutated Varka :suicide:

You need to collect six statues for this quest, right? Because I also had one Ellie statue go flying off a cliff... and when it did, my quest objective became collect five statues. I completed the quest normally from there without having to save and quit.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm trying to kill handsome Jack in TVHM and could use a hand. Gamer tag is Wiggly Wizard.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here's what I have to decide on: My commando that has all achievement-related challenges past rank 1 except for Jimmy Jenkins, or my assassin that has Jimmy Jenkins completed but a lot of other challenges that haven't gotten rank 1 yet.

I'm guessing that I could hop on the assassin and finish all of these challenges before my commando would even see Jenkins once.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

If anyone's down on X360, I'm hopping on with my early-game Gaige to kill some things (I just did Hunting the Firehawk) and take a break from TVHM/Siren action. GT: strangemobius

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Speedboat Jones posted:

Here's what I have to decide on: My commando that has all achievement-related challenges past rank 1 except for Jimmy Jenkins, or my assassin that has Jimmy Jenkins completed but a lot of other challenges that haven't gotten rank 1 yet.

I'm guessing that I could hop on the assassin and finish all of these challenges before my commando would even see Jenkins once.

Or you could find a friend who is to the correct part of the Doctor's Orders quest. Which I am.

GT ColColonCologne. Are you lol speedboat?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just think of it as revenge for Japan doing the same thing. I remember watching some anime series back when I actually enjoyed it and the main gag was that almost every other line was a reference to japanese pop culture or an obscure japanese pun.

Glug_Glug posted:

In a fight, I think I heard a bandit yell out "I'm the one who knocks!". I might have misheard it, anyone else hear that?
Yeah, they yell that pretty frequently. It's a reference to Breaking Bad although what exactly in the series its referencing, I don't know (Never got past the second season).

The amount of pop culture references is loving staggering, even compared to the first game. Here's a relatively complete list but I've spotted things that even it missed:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/Borderlands2
Also, yeah Tvtropes link. Clicker beware of time sucking and/or massive stupidity.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Feeble posted:

Just think of it as revenge for Japan doing the same thing. I remember watching some anime series back when I actually enjoyed it and the main gag was that almost every other line was a reference to japanese pop culture or an obscure japanese pun.

I think part of FF7's appeal in the US was the terrible translation job making everything more mysterious and psuedo-intellectual because it was so obscure.

That doesn't work in humor though so sucks for the Japanese. It would be pretty fun to play a BL2: Rising Sun expansion that used Japanese pop culture references that wasn't just samurai and geisha but some modern stuff too. Angel is basically one of those holographic j-pop stars anyway.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Feeble posted:

Yeah, they yell that pretty frequently. It's a reference to Breaking Bad although what exactly in the series its referencing, I don't know (Never got past the second season).

The amount of pop culture references is loving staggering, even compared to the first game. Here's a relatively complete list but I've spotted things that even it missed:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/Borderlands2
Also, yeah Tvtropes link. Clicker beware of time sucking and/or massive stupidity.

Yeah, I realize that. That's why it registered with me. Usually I kind of ignore what they are saying, just because the action gets so intense. I wish there were subtitles on what they said, sometimes you can't hear it under all the gunfire.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RagingBoner posted:

Or you could find a friend who is to the correct part of the Doctor's Orders quest. Which I am.

GT ColColonCologne. Are you lol speedboat?

Yeah, that's me. Let's do this before I get consumed by Assassin's Creed 3. Tomorrow I have a lot of time, but that's also Halloween so I'm not sure how busy you might be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Xguard86 posted:

Angel is basically one of those holographic j-pop stars anyway.

Ugh, they certainly made her sound like one. The only voice actor on the Japanese cast I think fit their character was Claptrap, and that's only because he sounds pretty much exactly like the English VA.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RagingBoner posted:

How does that quest/Jimmy Jenkins work anyways?
Is there a certain flag, other than starting the quest, then you need to trigger?

Sr. Wiggles
May 5, 2008
on 360, trying to track down another conference call (i have a scalable one) and a bee shield with over 20k capacity. Not sure if we could simply duplicate or something, tired of farming for one. spent the past two days fighting the warrior and that dude who drops the bee, no luck.

as for orange stuff i have that i'd give/duplicate... core logan's gun, resource invader, sledge's shotgun, lobbed electric leech, homing pandemic, and lobbed fire bee. all level 50.

gamertag: NotAok

i'd also be willing to assist in quests because i have no friends :(

thanks!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DLC question:

Does the unique enemies Mr Bubbles and Lil Sis have a chance to drop anything special or are they there for shout out flavour?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Spergminer posted:

How does that quest/Jimmy Jenkins work anyways?
Is there a certain flag, other than starting the quest, then you need to trigger?

He appears randomly just like the other loot midgets. It seems the he spawns in Opportunity and in the Wildlife Preserve more often than not.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

DLC question:

Does the unique enemies Mr Bubbles and Lil Sis have a chance to drop anything special or are they there for shout out flavour?

Supposedly lil sis gives you a gun when you kill Mr. Bubbles but in the chaos I killed them both. I don't know if they respawn either since every time I went back they never show up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Mr bubbles enraged me because I kept trying to open his head. Green means loot dammit.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Do sniper rifles really decrease in usefulness in TVHM? I'm up to Opportunity and rarely use my sniper. Enemies have so much health that headshots don't do significant damage anymore. I'm finding raipd-fire guns or anything Tediore to be the best.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Draile posted:

Do sniper rifles really decrease in usefulness in TVHM? I'm up to Opportunity and rarely use my sniper. Enemies have so much health that headshots don't do significant damage anymore. I'm finding raipd-fire guns or anything Tediore to be the best.

Vladof sniper rifles are the greatest. I have one equipped when I gunzerk pretty much all the time.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I pretty much used shock snipers exclusively since everything else sucks in that mode.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

So far I've totally ignored the Brawn tree because it's full of things that are extra health/shields/moving instead of shooting ludicrous amounts of ammunition. Pass.

I have 21 points in it with a Neogenator and I am literally indestructible. I regenerate a couple thousand health per second and a ton of damage resistance with a massive health bar. Any time something threatens to kill me I just gunzerk and get all my health back... and if I'm really in a bad spot and almost die again I flip everyone the bird and regen to full again. :getin:

It's of questionable use in PL1 but in PL2 where you die much faster it suddenly becomes amazing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Draile posted:

A good sniper rifle can still headshot kill most non-badass/boss stuff in one shot at 50, but I rarely find myself wanting to spend that much setup time. There were a few spots I still liked it, the area leading up to Mad Mike being an example but for the most part I found myself using a lot of pistols and SMGs.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think I like Gun Lust the best so far. Rampage is great, but the amount of bonus damage Gun Lust gives you with No Kill like Overkill, Money Shot and Keep it Piping Hot is insane. I used a blue, 30-ish shotgun on a pirate last night and it did 137k damage on the last shot. Right now I'm using an e-tech electricity SMG and an e-tech slag SMG.

You definitely take a survivability hit, but being able to Gunzerk in FFYL makes it a lot easier to pull Second Winds when needed.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
Gearbox just put something up on their twitter about releasing Shift codes for Halloween themed character skins tomorrow. The codes are good for 5 days.

https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/952/halloween-shift-codes-for-borderlands-2

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

Gearbox just put something up on their twitter about releasing Shift codes for Halloween themed character skins tomorrow. The codes are good for 5 days.

https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/952/halloween-shift-codes-for-borderlands-2

I neeeeeeeed Jack-o-Lantern heads for all of my characters. Hopefully they have some in the mix of codes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know, I just had a thought of who I would like to see as a playable character (either as DLC or in a future Borderlands): The founder (or founders) of S&S Munitions, who have come to Pandora to reclaim their fortunes from the bandits that put them out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

President Ark posted:

I have 21 points in it with a Neogenator and I am literally indestructible. I regenerate a couple thousand health per second and a ton of damage resistance with a massive health bar. Any time something threatens to kill me I just gunzerk and get all my health back... and if I'm really in a bad spot and almost die again I flip everyone the bird and regen to full again. :getin:

It's of questionable use in PL1 but in PL2 where you die much faster it suddenly becomes amazing.
I just take the skill that allows me to keep Gunzerking when I'm in FFYL. Really puts the truth into Salvador's "THIS DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING; YOU'RE STILL GONNA DIE!" bit. I've found that keeping a rocket launcher in one of my slots helps, especially since I have a Waka 12 Pounder that does 350K base damage (although that one has a bouncing grenade shot instead of a rocket, so you gotta hit dead on) and another Torgue that does about 275K base. Hyperion "Critcal Thinking" slag shotgun in the other slot for that pair and well, not much lives through over half a mil's worth of damage.

I think my record is six Second Winds before the bar was just "FOR gently caress'S SAKE JUST DIE" and disappeared pretty much the moment it popped up.

• Locked thread