Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm heading to Oklahoma City, OK at the end of November for a few days for work.

Any decent beers I can pick up? I'm currently in Texas, so if they sell founders or bells ill be stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

nwin posted:

I'm heading to Oklahoma City, OK at the end of November for a few days for work.

Any decent beers I can pick up? I'm currently in Texas, so if they sell founders or bells ill be stoked.

No on either of those, but JP goes there at least.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SUPER HASSLER posted:

No on either of those, but JP goes there at least.
Ah, good enough! Haven't had any JP offerings in a while. Thanks!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just tried the Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone et. al.

Wow. Just a drat near perfect stout in my eyes. Very accessible for those who might not like stouts as much.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Mahoning posted:

Does Three Floyds make any bad beer? I just had probably my 5th or 6th different 3F's beer (Broo Doo) and all of them have either been outstanding or just pretty drat good.
I don't really know, I'm just trying my first Three Floyds right now...Arctic Panzer Wolf. I dare say it's a pretty perfect IIPA!

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Does Three Floyds make any bad beer? I just had probably my 5th or 6th different 3F's beer (Broo Doo) and all of them have either been outstanding or just pretty drat good.

Apocalypse Cow is a challenging beer, a polarizing beer. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's weird as hell. Also, it's a rather odd sensation to have a beer remind you that you are mildly lactose intolerant.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got a "back in stock" notification from Bevmo saying they got The Dissident, by 10am it's completely scrubbed from all Bevmo stock checkers (not even saying out of stock). My local beer place says he got a case but already has 20 people on a list who want one, and to top that all off, he says he was told he wasn't allowed to sell them yet for some weird reason.

Seems like I'll miss out on that one this year, too bad.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Glottis posted:

I got a "back in stock" notification from Bevmo saying they got The Dissident, by 10am it's completely scrubbed from all Bevmo stock checkers (not even saying out of stock). My local beer place says he got a case but already has 20 people on a list who want one, and to top that all off, he says he was told he wasn't allowed to sell them yet for some weird reason.

Seems like I'll miss out on that one this year, too bad.

Is your local beer place Bobby's? Cause he told me the same thing and I really want some. Also waiting on that drat Stone Mint Chocolate Stout.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cantillon Kriek :swoon:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

We'll my friends didn't want to go downtown for my Jolly Pumpkin fest, so we just went to BWW and drank Bob's 47 all night. Going to just fly solo down there next week and drink those things. On the bright side, my favorite training wheels beer, Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter is back on shelves.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Also, it's a rather odd sensation to have a beer remind you that you are mildly lactose intolerant.

um, careful when you get around to that Cafe Royale, then...

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded
Time to talk about fresh hop beer!

We tapped Port High Tide, Deschutes Hoptrip, Deschutes Chasin' Freshies and Left Hand Warrior this past week; the Port and Left Hand were both pretty solid but the Deschutes was underwhelming...

Pretty strange seeing as how they are in the midst of hop land. What are you guys/gals getting into fresh hop these days?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

um, careful when you get around to that Cafe Royale, then...

Like I said, mild lactose intolerance. But let's just say that I'll be drinking it on a night when the girlfriend isn't around. :butt:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
HotD/De Proef's Flanders Fred was really, really good. I'd compare it to Consecration, although I think it might be better. Definitely kicking myself for not buying more...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Like I said, mild lactose intolerance. But let's just say that I'll be drinking it on a night when the girlfriend isn't around. :butt:

ah, okay, good- my two lactose-intolerant friends get really nasty cramps, didn't want you be unprepared

danbanana posted:

HotD/De Proef's Flanders Fred was really, really good. I'd compare it to Consecration, although I think it might be better. Definitely kicking myself for not buying more...

could you have gotten more? i think we got one keg (which i drank from, fortunately) and maybe like two six-bottle cases. i was surprised by the small amount, because i'm pretty sure i could go to two different shops and pick up all the other Brewmaster's Collaboration beers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

could you have gotten more? i think we got one keg (which i drank from, fortunately) and maybe like two six-bottle cases. i was surprised by the small amount, because i'm pretty sure i could go to two different shops and pick up all the other Brewmaster's Collaboration beers.

The place I grabbed mine from had at least a case on the shelf and I've seen it a few other places as well. I don't think it was really hard to find, and I'm betting there's at least a few places in Chicago that probably still have it. Just a matter of finding it...

Unrelated: Going to Vegas this weekend. We're doing Aces & Ales Sunday for watching football, probably hitting Burger Bar because we're staying at Mandalay for a couple nights... Any bottle shops that might be worth a look? Flying Southwest = No baggage fee = Prepared to bring stuff back.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

nwin posted:

Coop's F5 IPA is good, as is Marshall's Atlas. Choc is another local favorite.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

danbanana posted:

Unrelated: Going to Vegas this weekend. We're doing Aces & Ales Sunday for watching football, probably hitting Burger Bar because we're staying at Mandalay for a couple nights... Any bottle shops that might be worth a look? Flying Southwest = No baggage fee = Prepared to bring stuff back.
None in the Aces area, but if you've got a car you can get to a couple. There's a Total Wine at 501 North Stephanie St, just north of the 215. I recommend this route from Aces. You won't find much you can't find in CA or other better beer states, but they have a decent number of local beers.

My favorite bottle shop has a smaller selection, but better local selection and they're a Small Family Business, which I like. They're called Khoury's Fine Wine and Spirits. Located here, kind of out of the way but well worth the trip. They have a little bar with eight taps, mostly good, so you can drink something while you make your selections.

There are Lee's Liquor Stores as well. They're the biggest local booze shop, but Total coming into town really hosed them since Lee's relied on bullying the distributors and Total is litigious as hell. Their selection is worse than Total's and much less likely to be fresh. You can still give them a try if you want to roll the dice, sometimes they have weird poo poo nobody else wants to carry. There are locations all over the valley.

For local beers, look for Big Dog's. They make a very solid IPA and a fantastic Pale Ale. Joseph James is more hit or miss, but if you get to Khoury's try to pick up some of the bourbon barrel aged RIS - it's dangerously close to world class. Tenaya Creek is the other local, their stuff is inferior to either JJ's or Big Dog's but their Oktoberfest isn't terrible.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

None in the Aces area, but if you've got a car you can get to a couple. There's a Total Wine at 501 North Stephanie St, just north of the 215. I recommend this route from Aces. You won't find much you can't find in CA or other better beer states, but they have a decent number of local beers.

My favorite bottle shop has a smaller selection, but better local selection and they're a Small Family Business, which I like. They're called Khoury's Fine Wine and Spirits. Located here, kind of out of the way but well worth the trip. They have a little bar with eight taps, mostly good, so you can drink something while you make your selections.

There are Lee's Liquor Stores as well. They're the biggest local booze shop, but Total coming into town really hosed them since Lee's relied on bullying the distributors and Total is litigious as hell. Their selection is worse than Total's and much less likely to be fresh. You can still give them a try if you want to roll the dice, sometimes they have weird poo poo nobody else wants to carry. There are locations all over the valley.

For local beers, look for Big Dog's. They make a very solid IPA and a fantastic Pale Ale. Joseph James is more hit or miss, but if you get to Khoury's try to pick up some of the bourbon barrel aged RIS - it's dangerously close to world class. Tenaya Creek is the other local, their stuff is inferior to either JJ's or Big Dog's but their Oktoberfest isn't terrible.

Thanks. One of us is heading out early (tonight) and he's already looking for shops. This should help him out much.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I see like 5 various De Proef beers sitting on a shelf untouched at my store that have been there a bit, I saw talk on here but the ratings seem to point to average. Am I missing something?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

I see like 5 various De Proef beers sitting on a shelf untouched at my store that have been there a bit, I saw talk on here but the ratings seem to point to average. Am I missing something?

Which ones are they?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I picked up 4 Lovechild No. 2's from a small grocer today. Score! Also, is Monk's Cafe any good? I got a 4 pack of that as well.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Just arrived in Denver, time to drink my face off on kickass Colorado beers!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Shortbus posted:

I picked up 4 Lovechild No. 2's from a small grocer today.

Holy poo poo. You suck. I generally don't trade, but I'd talk if you'd be willing to offer. PM me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Holy poo poo. You suck. I generally don't trade, but I'd talk if you'd be willing to offer. PM me.

The Spec's by my mom's house that had a whole shelf full of it. I'll be visiting her in about two weeks, so keep me posted if you're still hunting it down.

I find Monk's Cafe a little too sweet (and somewhat too fruit juicy) kinda like Duchesse. To me it's one of those "gateway" sour beers.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Have any of you ever tried a good Maple Bacon beer?

I got the chance to try a Maple Bacon Stout by Fat Head's/Chardon Brew Works and it was quite unremarkable. I wasn't able to taste any bacon whatsoever, and the maple was a bit overwhelming. The mouthfeel was also way too thin for me, as I prefer thick stouts.

I feel like the only Maple Bacon beer I've seen with good reviews is the Porter from Funky Buddha lounge.

I also got the chance to try Hop Juju from Fat Head's, and it was outstanding. It was like an even more bitter version of Head Hunter, although not quite as well balanced. Fat Head's really makes some spectacular IPAs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Just arrived in Denver, time to drink my face off on kickass Colorado beers!

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but hit up the new Crooked Stave tap room :swoon: And if your travels take you up to Fort Collins feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm always down to meet beergoons.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Yeah. I've had Funky Buddha's Maple Bacon Coffee porter, AKA the beer that started the maple bacon frenzy. And it's one of the best beers I've had. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I got the chance to try a Maple Bacon Stout by Fat Head's/Chardon Brew Works and it was quite unremarkable. I wasn't able to taste any bacon whatsoever, and the maple was a bit overwhelming. The mouthfeel was also way too thin for me, as I prefer thick stouts.

I feel like the only Maple Bacon beer I've seen with good reviews is the Porter from Funky Buddha lounge.

I also got the chance to try Hop Juju from Fat Head's, and it was outstanding. It was like an even more bitter version of Head Hunter, although not quite as well balanced. Fat Head's really makes some spectacular IPAs.

Hope Juju is awesome. Randomly this one night, a bar down here in Cincinnati had both that and Head Hunter on draft. It was awesome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

deadwing posted:

Yeah. I've had Funky Buddha's Maple Bacon Coffee porter, AKA the beer that started the maple bacon frenzy. And it's one of the best beers I've had. :smug:

The Bourbon Barrel aged version kicks MBCP right in the tits.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Tigren posted:

Is your local beer place Bobby's? Cause he told me the same thing and I really want some. Also waiting on that drat Stone Mint Chocolate Stout.

Yep. I just wish there was more of the Dissident floating around.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Glottis posted:

Yep. I just wish there was more of the Dissident floating around.

Deschutes told me Original Gravity will be getting a case, as well as Whole Foods in Blossom Hill and Campbell.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
South Bay tends to be awful for the Stone collaborations (except Bobby's).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Waldean posted:

South Bay tends to be awful for the Stone collaborations (except Bobby's).

South Bay seems to be awful for craft beer. To think, I moved here from Portland.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Modern Automaton posted:

Pretty strange seeing as how they are in the midst of hop land. What are you guys/gals getting into fresh hop these days?

For me I am enjoying the following, Half Acre Mr. Ouroboros. They just released a 32oz. growler, so I wanted to stop by and grab that as well as their fresh hop beer. It's a punch of fresh citra hops and absolutely fantastic.

I know I have shilled for Half Acre before, but I had another circumstance where they were absolutely awesome. I showed up to grab that mini-growler today, and they asked me what I was up to. I didn't have anything going on, so they invited me to their "soft" opening of their tap room. It was only for industry folks and regular customers, and everything on tap was 100% free. The space was great and everything is fairly priced. All you Chicago folks go check it out when you can!

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 2, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Right now I'm drinking what I'm pretty sure is the worst beer I've ever had. I'm pretty sure it's infected, but it's also a beer that was brewed by my friend, so it's entirely possible that the beer is just horrible.

The inside of the bottle smells like the room it was bottled in, which smelled of barley. I really need to take one of those tasting classes so I can identify off flavors, I wish I could say exactly what's wrong with this beer.

I drain poured the first bottle and opened a second to see if it was just the one bottle, or the beer entirely, and it seems like every bottle is just as bad as the next. I feel bad for my friend, he has 72 bombers of this stuff!

E: The beer almost has a soapy flavor, it's really, really off-putting.

After reading some homebrewing forums it sounds like it could just be that the beer is still pretty 'green' since it was just bottled a week ago. I figured it would be better fresh since it's an IPA, but I guess that might not be the case. I guess I'll have to try another bottle in a week and see what I think.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 2, 2012

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ugggggggh I hope they get this open by Thanksgiving, since we're having it at my sister's this year and she lives right around Montrose/Wolcott.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Docjowles posted:

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but hit up the new Crooked Stave tap room :swoon: And if your travels take you up to Fort Collins feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm always down to meet beergoons.

Definitely going to hit up Crooked Stave. I'm out here visiting a friend and he's showing me around so I'm not sure when I'll be places. All I know is we're hitting Fort Collins today and Denver tomorrow.

Yesterday we went to Avery, Upslope, Southern Sun, Left Hand and Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids. Colorado is awesome.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bells has their Bourbon Batch 9000 available in bottles at the General Store in Kalamazoo. Backwoods Bastard should also be hitting shelves in Michigan today, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

Which ones are they?

Zoetzuur, Witte Noire, Saison Imperiale, Reinaer Wild Ale, and La Grande Blanche. They're all rated decently, I guess I was expecting something higher with the love some people here seem to have, the Reinaer sounds pretty good though.