Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

De Proef
Witte Noire, Zoetzuur, and Reinaer are all pretty good if the price is right. I think Zoetzuur was probably my favorite. Can't speak to the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

nwin posted:

I'm heading to Oklahoma City, OK at the end of November for a few days for work.

Any decent beers I can pick up? I'm currently in Texas, so if they sell founders or bells ill be stoked.

Nearly forgot: Marshall's El CuCuy black IPA just got released. A lot of folks call it the best beer made in Oklahoma.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Good Idea/Bad Idea.

Good Idea: Outblack, the De Struise/Stillwater collaboration. It's a Belgian strong ale from de Struise mixed with a black IPA from Stillwater. I don't know what this thing is but it's delicious, chocolately and fruity at the same time and dangerously drinkable at 10%. Fantastic beer, it was pouring alongside Catherine The Great, Black Force One, Jack Daniel's-aged Emmelise Imperial Stout, and I kept going back to Outblack.

Bad Idea: New Belgium Bret Beer. I generally really like the Lips of Faith stuff I've tried, even though I could take or leave any of NBB's regular offerings. La Folie was awesome, Le Terroir was awesome, Tart Lychee was pretty good. Bret Beer, their collaboration with Lost Abbey, is horrible. It tastes like prison wine, like you mashed up some oranges and orange peels in a sock and stuck it on top of the refrigerator for a week. Not really sour, not really brett-y, not really funky, just rotten. Offensive. Smelly. It tastes bad.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i think Zoetzuur tasted like grape Tootsie Roll Pops, but Broederlijke Liefde is one of my favorite beers; if it wasn't $17-18 per bottle, i'd drink a lot of it. if i had the opportunity to buy more than one bottle of Flanders Fred, i definitely would've stocked up. most of the others are okay, but i didn't really care for the Monstre Rouge much, either.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

Witte Noire, Zoetzuur, and Reinaer are all pretty good if the price is right. I think Zoetzuur was probably my favorite. Can't speak to the other two.

They range form $8.99-$11.99, guess I'll get around to trying them soon. I'm not sure if I'll get the Flanders Red though as I've had Monk's Cafe and Oude Tart and neither one of them tickled my fancy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Schpyder posted:

Ugggggggh I hope they get this open by Thanksgiving, since we're having it at my sister's this year and she lives right around Montrose/Wolcott.

They just tweeted that it's open today at noon so you are in luck!

And Paul Proteus please know that you have all of my hate. Wish I lived close to Half Acre. :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Heh. On that note, New Belgium announced the last two 2012 Lips of Faith beers. One's an imperial chocolate coffee stout, the other a citrusy Biere de Garde collaboration with Brewery Vivant in Michigan.

The stout sounds pretty great. So far I have been pretty underwhelmed by their Lips of Faith this year, with the notable exception of Cocoa Mole which owns. Tart Lychee was ok but not great.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sirotan posted:

They just tweeted that it's open today at noon so you are in luck!

And Paul Proteus please know that you have all of my hate. Wish I lived close to Half Acre. :(

Yea I was going to post the same thing. They told me yesterday is was opening today.

When they bring back Callow Knife I am going to drown myself in it.

Right now they had 8 different beers on tap in the room, plus two or three other different ones in the store? You can get growler fills in either location.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Founders Backwoods Bastard is hitting the streets today, so keep your eyes peeled. Apparently two Chicago Binnys have already sold out.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Looks like I'll be spending my lunch tomorrow in Ravenswood.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

crazyfish posted:

Founders Backwoods Bastard is hitting the streets today, so keep your eyes peeled. Apparently two Chicago Binnys have already sold out.

My local store got a whopping whole case of it, luckily I knew it was coming in so I hopped right on it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Heh. On that note, New Belgium announced the last two 2012 Lips of Faith beers. One's an imperial chocolate coffee stout, the other a citrusy Biere de Garde collaboration with Brewery Vivant in Michigan.

The stout sounds pretty great. So far I have been pretty underwhelmed by their Lips of Faith this year, with the notable exception of Cocoa Mole which owns. Tart Lychee was ok but not great.

They announced it a while ago, because I've had a bottle of each. The stout is solid, a good representative of the style with significant milk chocolate notes. It needs a bit more bitterness to balance, in my opinion, but it's very drinkable. Biere de Garde isn't as funky as I'd like it to be, but it has some decent spice notes that play well with a citrusy background. I'd say Cocoa Mole is the best of this year's Lips of Faith, followed by the imperial chocolate coffee stout, then probably a tie between Tart Lychee and Biere de Garde.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Im looking for a few recommendations for kick you in the balls hoppy/bitter offerings.

I just got through my stock of various pumpkins and stouts and am craving some bitterness.

I'm in central NJ, so I have a wide range of options, I'm just looking for some suggestions or maybe something obscure I wouldn't have thought of trying. I have a couple beer guys I can get in contact with so I'm not afraid to search a bit either.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Glottis posted:

Yep. I just wish there was more of the Dissident floating around.

I called both Whole Foods today, and apparently they didn't get their cases. Bobby's isn't letting any of theirs go. Kelly's told me they didn't have any, then secretly let me have a bottle, so that might be an interesting route to try.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Shrapnac posted:

Im looking for a few recommendations for kick you in the balls hoppy/bitter offerings.

Sculpin is pretty bitter, and also quite delicious. I'm pretty sure it's distributed to NJ.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

crazyfish posted:

If anyone in the Lehigh Valley/Philadelphia area sees it, let me know!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

If anyone in the Lehigh Valley/Philadelphia area sees it, let me know!

Are they doing the whole 1 case per liquor store thing? The store I picked up a 4 pack of the Breakfast Stout said they only got a case of that, so same deal?

If so, I'll swing by on my way home from work and check it out(Willingboro area).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Shrapnac posted:

Are they doing the whole 1 case per liquor store thing? The store I picked up a 4 pack of the Breakfast Stout said they only got a case of that, so same deal?

If so, I'll swing by on my way home from work and check it out(Willingboro area).

Not sure, Breakfast Stout seems to be somewhat common at the Whole Foods near me, and Vertigo (or one of the other posters here) mentioned buying a whole case of Backwoods from somewhere out near Reading. I had it on tap about two years ago and haven't found it since.

On an unrelated topic, has anyone been having problems with beers from Duck Rabbit? Normally I'm a fan of theirs, but I just picked up a six pack of their Marzen and the two bottles I've had out of it have gone bad. Sour/oxidized. Willing to give anyone a pass on that, but at the home brewing course I'm taking, the instructor brought in their milk stout as an example of the style, and THAT was sour/stale too. I believe on both bottles they were still under the best-by date.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2012

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Duck Rabbit has had infection issues recently, it's pretty well documented in the thread and other places.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Shrapnac posted:

I just got through my stock of various pumpkins and stouts and am craving some bitterness.

I'm in central NJ, so I have a wide range of options, I'm just looking for some suggestions or maybe something obscure I wouldn't have thought of trying. I have a couple beer guys I can get in contact with so I'm not afraid to search a bit either.

Kudosx posted:

Sculpin is pretty bitter, and also quite delicious. I'm pretty sure it's distributed to NJ.

Yep, you can get Sculpin in NJ if you look around.

Locally you could try something from Riverhorse, not my favorite brewery but they tend to skew hoppy/bitter no matter the style. Carton has a wet hop out that great, but it's not bottled.

You could also try Sixpoint's Resin, and you can't go wrong with Victory's Hop Devil.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Great Lakes just announced two new seasonals for 2013, both IPAs.

quote:

Alchemy Hour Double IPA:
Style: Double India Pale Ale
First Available: February
Packaging: 4-Pack, Draft
ABV: 9.4% ABW: 7.5% IBU: 80
Flavor: Hop-forward with a balanced blend of Mosaic and Nugget hops.
Name Origin: On the West Coast, surfers have a term for that perfect time of day, when the waves are breaking just right and it feels like you can ride forever. They call it Alchemy Hour. Alchemy Hour Double IPA pays tribute to the North Coast’s unlikely surf bums and the ancient quest for liquid gold, wherever it may live: on the ocean, in a lake, in a bottle.

Rye of the Tiger IPA:
Style: India Pale Ale
First Available: April
Packaging: 6-Pack, 12-Pack, Draft
ABV: 7.5% ABW: 6.0% IBU: 92
Flavor: Strong citrus and pine presence with a clean, dry finish.
Name Origin: Named for its fierce hop profile and sharp rye content, Rye of the Tiger is a thrilling India Pale Ale with bite. If you can handle this hopped-up cat, you’ve earned your stripes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Picked up a six pack of Sculpin and another of Hopsecutioner just for kicks.

Totally forgot about Hop Devil and Sixpoint. Not a huge fan of River Horse either, they're really hit or miss for me.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

BoredByThis posted:

Duck Rabbit has had infection issues recently, it's pretty well documented in the thread and other places.

It's not just recently, I had a bottled 6 months ago that was infected and way before that many people had issues as well. I said I would avoid them from now on and someome said I was stupid since they have cleaned up their act, guess they were wrong.

@shrapnac, Resin from Sixpoint is pretty bitter and if I remember correctly their Sweet Action leans bitter.

On talk of Sixpoint, I love their stuff but I was left way underwhelmed by their Spice of Life Wakatu, it was the second of their Spice of Life series I had and they both sucked.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 2, 2012

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Great Lakes just announced two new seasonals for 2013, both IPAs.

That's very exciting, their year round lineup is absolutely stellar but my biggest complaint has always been that they just don't have enough beers. It's a shame I don't live in a state that they distribute to anymore, though :(

This thread alone has downgraded my opinion of Duck Rabbit from must-buy to must-avoid given how often people report infection problems.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I've had that Rye of the Tiger on tap; fairly decent, milder rye presence IMO but I don't like rye to be too overpowering. Like, I liked Ruthless Rye, but it was pretty prickly and tougher to drink.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Midorka posted:

@shrapnac, Resin from Sixpoint is pretty bitter and if I remember correctly their Sweet Action leans bitter.

I really like their stuff, had a brain fart about beer today for some reason.

Another pretty good one is Boulder's Hazed and Infused. Lowish alcohol content(4.5 iirc) and pretty bitter.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

global tetrahedron posted:

I've had that Rye of the Tiger on tap; fairly decent, milder rye presence IMO but I don't like rye to be too overpowering. Like, I liked Ruthless Rye, but it was pretty prickly and tougher to drink.

Yeah they made Rye of the Tiger in the spring but it was draft-only. I didn't try it but I heard it was good.

2013 will be bottles and draft.

Great Lakes has really expanded their seasonals to one new one every 2 months or so. Here's the new schedule:

January—Conway’s Irish Ale

February—Alchemy Hour Double IPA

April—Rye of the Tiger IPA

May—Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA

June—The Wright Pils

July—Oktoberfest

August—Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale

November—Christmas Ale

November—Blackout Stout

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mmmmmmm Blackout Stout :swoon: I may buy a case, one.of my favorite beers of all time, I don't thinknit ages very well though. I had a few bottles fresh last year and it seemed to degrade as the months passed. I think I can get a 4 pack still to compare, which I may.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

Mmmmmmm Blackout Stout :swoon: I may buy a case, one.of my favorite beers of all time, I don't thinknit ages very well though. I had a few bottles fresh last year and it seemed to degrade as the months passed. I think I can get a 4 pack still to compare, which I may.

I think I'm going up to the brewery in a few weeks for the barrel-aged Blackout Stout.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Shrapnac posted:

Does Green Flash distribute out there? If so, Palate Wrecker.

E: Swear I saw a couple bottles at the big craft beer store here in Omaha just a couple hours ago, but they could have been there a while. Also bought the LoF Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout; taste report incoming \/\/\/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The SARS Volta posted:

Does Green Flash distribute out there? If so, Palate Wrecker.

I don't think they're still doing Palate Wrecker. I believe its a seasonal.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
We got our first case of Backwoods in today, someone had already grabbed two four packs before I had time to stock it. We've got in about 10 cases of Breakfast Stout so far and it doesn't sell too fast, so I'm hoping that Founders/craft is still low-key enough here that I'll be able to sneak in a few more cases of Backwoods.

We still probably have a case of Palate Wrecker on the shelves

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they're still doing Palate Wrecker. I believe its a seasonal.

Yeah, Palate Wrecker is their summer seasonal.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Holy poo poo, Samuel Smith, where have you been all my life?

It's a drat shame that craft beer newbies like myself tend to discount stuff like this in favor of the rare/new poo poo that gets talked up a lot. This is really, really good.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Holy poo poo, Samuel Smith, where have you been all my life?

It's a drat shame that craft beer newbies like myself tend to discount stuff like this in favor of the rare/new poo poo that gets talked up a lot. This is really, really good.

I think this is something that can often seem ignored if you're looking here or at BA's forums. Me, I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a 5 star beer and nobody's gonna convince me otherwise.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think this is something that can often seem ignored if you're looking here or at BA's forums. Me, I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a 5 star beer and nobody's gonna convince me otherwise.

Grabbing a bottle of that tomorrow. I got turned onto craft beer by a bottle of La Fin du Monde; when in doubt go back to the basics.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

So this might be a stupid question, but is Flying Dog Raging Bitch made with brett? I'm getting a serious cat piss vibe off this beer (and i don't like it at all).

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RiggenBlaque posted:

So this might be a stupid question, but is Flying Dog Raging Bitch made with brett? I'm getting a serious cat piss vibe off this beer (and i don't like it at all).

no. it's probably the columbus + amarillo hops.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Lovechild is really great with a few months on it. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Samuel Smith's and Unibroue were my introduction to "craft" beers and I couldn't be happier. They were at a very reasonable price point and are available everywhere.

I'll go back to a La Fin Du Monde or Oatmeal Stout without hesitation too. La Fin Du Monde is still a favorite of mine, as long as I'm in the right mood.

My palate and preference has greatly changed since then but both do really solid beers from top to bottom.