Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I just had a Cuvee Des Jacobins rouge sour ale and it was amazing. Any recommendations for beers similar to that? On a lovely note I came home tonight to find my sister in laws boyfriend of the month guzzling down my beer. I only had 3 of the Mint chocolate stout and he drank 2 of them. When I walked in he was pulling out my last one . His first impression sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Holy poo poo, Samuel Smith, where have you been all my life?

It's a drat shame that craft beer newbies like myself tend to discount stuff like this in favor of the rare/new poo poo that gets talked up a lot. This is really, really good.

I'm pretty sure a lot of even the internet beer nerd types would recognize Sam Smith's oatmeal stout as the gold standard (get it) in that style. Everything they do is great, even if their imperial stout doesn't taste like an American one.

Nask26 posted:

I just had a Cuvee Des Jacobins rouge sour ale and it was amazing. Any recommendations for beers similar to that? On a lovely note I came home tonight to find my sister in laws boyfriend of the month guzzling down my beer. I only had 3 of the Mint chocolate stout and he drank 2 of them. When I walked in he was pulling out my last one . His first impression sucks!

I'd say the New Belgium La Folie and some of the other Flanders Red ales would fit that bill.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Colorado continues to impress me with awesomeness. Went to New Belgium, Funkwerks and Odells yesterday and they were all great. New Belgium definitely has the best brewery tour I've been on by far.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Colorado continues to impress me with awesomeness. Went to New Belgium, Funkwerks and Odells yesterday and they were all great. New Belgium definitely has the best brewery tour I've been on by far.

I would agree with you on brewery tours although I have to say that since Troegs moved into their new joint I think they're up there as well.

Had a This One Goes to 11 Ale earlier courtesy of the always kind funkybottoms. Not as alcoholy as I woulda expected, but still really malty and striking this enormous presence in your mouth. I like it, but I don't think my liver can afford to make drinking it a habit...

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I just finished a set at a bar last night and I was hanging around talking with some of the audience and house staff. I noticed the bar was changing kegs, so I walked over to see what was next. It just so happened they were about to tap Surly Darkness.

It was amazing. Wonderfully thick and a bit creamy. It was also rich and chocolatey, but a bit boozy.

Someone also told me a story about the bar manager that night. Surly's Darkness day was last weekend and like any good beer release, people are pulling out bottles from the woodwork and sharing them. The manager had been saving a 2006 growler of Darkness (pre-bottling). He was moving from camp to camp, but he was so drunk that he dropped and broke it when it was half full.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Harpoon's Chocolate Stout :swoon:

It's seriously the milk left in your bowl after cocoa pebbles, loving yes.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Glottis posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of even the internet beer nerd types would recognize Sam Smith's oatmeal stout as the gold standard (get it) in that style. Everything they do is great, even if their imperial stout doesn't taste like an American one.

not to mention they had a massive impact on the craft scene here in the US and are kind of responsible for resurrecting oatmeal stouts.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think this is something that can often seem ignored if you're looking here or at BA's forums. Me, I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a 5 star beer and nobody's gonna convince me otherwise.

yeah, that's almost always the first thing i recommend to somebody who "doesn't like beer." poo poo is delicious (as long as it's not out of a bottle. ugh).

Nask26 posted:

I just had a Cuvee Des Jacobins rouge sour ale and it was amazing. Any recommendations for beers similar to that?

you should be able to find one of La Folie, Bacchus, Petrus, Monk's, or Duchesse wherever you live. Jacobins runs a little sweet, though, so don't be surprised at how much more tart/sour some of the others are.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Had Dieu du Ciel's barleywine, Solstice d'hiver, last night. Interesting take on the style, a lot more bitterness than I've had in any other barleywine. Great fireside sipper.

Also got to try Olde Hickory's Lindley Park stout. It's their base imperial stout aged on raspberries. Very good, mainly because their base stout is drat good. The raspberries were really subdued and came in just a tiny bit on the finish, made it a bit like a dessert without being too sweet, I could have drank a few easily.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Definitely agree on the tour. It helps that they're pretty huge by craft beer standards so there's a lot to see and the guides have time to go into depth. The staff are generally very knowledgeable and fun, and you get kind of a shitload of beer over the course of the tour. Plus you get to go down a slide!

Had Goose Island IPA on tap last night, it was pretty outstanding. I love finding good English style IPA's as a change of pace from non-stop citrus and pine bombs (not that I don't enjoy a good American IPA, too, but variety is nice). I hope this means we're getting more GI distribution in Colorado and this wasn't a random one-off. Matilda owns, but that's the only one of their beers I can find consistently and I'd like to try the rest.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Docjowles posted:

Had Goose Island IPA on tap last night, it was pretty outstanding. I love finding good English style IPA's as a change of pace from non-stop citrus and pine bombs (not that I don't enjoy a good American IPA, too, but variety is nice). I hope this means we're getting more GI distribution in Colorado and this wasn't a random one-off. Matilda owns, but that's the only one of their beers I can find consistently and I'd like to try the rest.

I loved GI IPA on tap, it brought me out of the being sick of IPAs phase, when it finally came in bottles it was only a shadow of what I remembered, and it was only a month old. Their Nut Brown Ale has failed to disappoint though, no matter what.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Sweet. Found some New Belgium Snow Day 12-packs bottled 10/20. I never see fresh NB stuff in Nova.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Matilda owns, but that's the only one of their beers I can find consistently and I'd like to try the rest.

I think you'll soon be able to find Sofie and Pere Jacques. When they rolled those beers out in Ohio I saw Matilda only for awhile but this past Spring it seems like they rolled out Sofie and PJ and I see it everywhere now.

Bought a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout because of this thread. Hope it lives up to the hype.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Just picked up what I assume is a pretty rare CCB 750. Called Moat Water and its a CCB/Skatepark of Tampa collab. Apparently a stout with coffee, vanilla, maple veneer, and "moat water" (aka disgusting run off near SPOT). Got it for a friends birthday so haven't opened it but pretty interested to see how it turns out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Bought a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout because of this thread. Hope it lives up to the hype.

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, that's almost always the first thing i recommend to somebody who "doesn't like beer." poo poo is delicious (as long as it's not out of a bottle. ugh).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Midorka posted:

Harpoon's Chocolate Stout :swoon:

It's seriously the milk left in your bowl after cocoa pebbles, loving yes.

Quoting this as another beer to try after Youngs Chocolate Stout, gently caress it's excellent for what it is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

Quoting this as another beer to try after Youngs Chocolate Stout, gently caress it's excellent for what it is.

I actually looked for it, but the only Harpoon beer I ever see is the IPA and their UFO stuff.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Tried the Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout yesterday and :catstare: the smell it gave was nothing short of awesome. Like if Yoohoo made beer. The taste was again very much chocolate and vanilla cream / malt. It was quite sweet so I would split it with someone (unless you can drink a lot of sweet beer - I can't do it) but I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys stouts, esp. chocolate stouts.

Still has nothing on FBS though :smug:

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Mahoning posted:

I think you'll soon be able to find Sofie and Pere Jacques. When they rolled those beers out in Ohio I saw Matilda only for awhile but this past Spring it seems like they rolled out Sofie and PJ and I see it everywhere now.

That's the best part, there is no hype. It's just a solid, widely available, reasonably priced beer.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I actually looked for it, but the only Harpoon beer I ever see is the IPA and their UFO stuff.

Which is disgusting. I've never had a good Harpoon beer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of Harpoon, has Texas always been able to get it? I've never looked for it, but noticed it today at Spec's and it caught me off-guard.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

the oyster stout from the 100 Barrels series was pretty drat good. i can't say i find their other stuff remarkable, but neither is it particularly bad.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

the oyster stout from the 100 Barrels series was pretty drat good. i can't say i find their other stuff remarkable, but neither is it particularly bad.

Their Rye IPA is actually pretty good, it was from the 100 barrel series too. The spice from the rye goes really well with the piney hop finish and there's a nice citrus hop bitterness before it that leads nicely into the finish. I was really surprised.

Edit: Oh and Kona's Pipeland Porter is pretty loving stellar for $8 a 6 pack, it's a poor mans Breakfast Stout. This is near 4 months past bottling and the coffee flavor is still very good, I imagine fresh this is pretty killer.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2012

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Midorka posted:

The spice from the rye goes really well with the piney hop finish and there's a nice citrus hop bitterness before it that leads nicely into the finish.

That's a lot of fancy words for a simple guy like me, but, yeah, I dig their Rye IPA quite a bit. I drank more than my share of it this summer.

I remember liking their UFO White as well but it's been a long time, and I liked their White IPA from the 100 barrel series. I'll also order their IPA on tap somewhere if it's a choice between that and Sam Adams Boston Lager for the only craft beer.

In general, though, I tend to just think of them as an alternative to Sam Adams, with all the good and bad that implies.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Drank canned Young's Double Chocolate. Maybe I'm making poo poo up, but i definitely tasted the can in there. The chocolate flavor is good and the nitro charge made things super smooth. I wanna try this on tap.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm at this bar in northwest indiana that has $4 pints of 3 floyds wet hop (BrooDoo) which is really tasty...and cheaper than buying the bombers. Also, Old Rasputin on nitro :swoon:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

crazyfish posted:

I'm at this bar in northwest indiana that has $4 pints of 3 floyds wet hop (BrooDoo) which is really tasty...and cheaper than buying the bombers. Also, Old Rasputin on nitro :swoon:

It's a magic moment when as an Old Rasputin fan you have it on nitro for the first time. It's like, how it was meant to be, maan.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

I feel like "disgusting" is harsh, I have no problem ordering the IPA when I'm back on the east coast.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Yesterday was my last day in Colorado, so we hit up Denver. Went to Prost, Great Divide, Renegade, Trve and Crooked Stave. Crooked Stave was amazing but Trve was by far the funnest place we went. It's a tiny heavy metal brewpub. This is in their bathroom:

http://i.imgur.com/eUFyp.jpg

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Drank canned Young's Double Chocolate. Maybe I'm making poo poo up, but i definitely tasted the can in there. The chocolate flavor is good and the nitro charge made things super smooth. I wanna try this on tap.

As long as you were drinking it out of a glass you didn't taste the can, they are lined so the liquid never touches the metal.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Josh Wow posted:

As long as you were drinking it out of a glass you didn't taste the can, they are lined so the liquid never touches the metal.

Oh, good. Guess I was just being paranoid. Still definitely want to try it on tap.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Anyone other then me tried the New Belgium's Red Hoptober yet? I think its great for the price. 15 pack for like 13 dollars here in the US.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Incursus posted:

Anyone other then me tried the New Belgium's Red Hoptober yet? I think its great for the price. 15 pack for like 13 dollars here in the US.

15 pack? I don't think I've ever seen one of those...4, 6, 12, 20? Sure, 15's new. Anyways, I've seen the Red Hoptober, but I was worried I'd waste my money. I might give it a shot though.

On another note, I bought some deschutes Jubelale on Friday...that poo poo is loving good. I can't think of anything from deschutes that I haven't enjoyed-it seems they just have a really solid line up.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Denver's beer scene is dreamy :xd:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I'm sure that 15 pack of Red Hoptober was a typo but I once bought a 15 pack of Carling Black Label in the Boston area.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Leaving Aces and Ales. Great bar. Comp'd every draft we had. Walked out after drinking bottles of '11 Abacus, Butte XXIII, Black Albert, Coton, and a bomber of Sculpin. Based on the comps alone, one of the best beer bars i've ever been to.

Sculpin, by the way, didn't live up to the hype. It has the soap flavor that I get with certain hops, but even the weak after taste I was unimpressed. Another hyped West Coast IPA that falls short of Two Hearted. Sorry.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

nwin posted:

15 pack? I don't think I've ever seen one of those...4, 6, 12, 20? Sure, 15's new. Anyways, I've seen the Red Hoptober, but I was worried I'd waste my money. I might give it a shot though.

On another note, I bought some deschutes Jubelale on Friday...that poo poo is loving good. I can't think of anything from deschutes that I haven't enjoyed-it seems they just have a really solid line up.

12 pack

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

crazyfish posted:

Hah, Beer Geeks has an excellent tap list. Its a decent bar, but sometimes I do get the feeling that its like drinking in someone's basement.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Incursus posted:

It's a pretty solid beer. If you like it, stock up, because they've just cut over to Snow Day as their active seasonal. Which is fine by me, I really really like Snow Day.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

It's a pretty solid beer. If you like it, stock up, because they've just cut over to Snow Day as their active seasonal. Which is fine by me, I really really like Snow Day.

Yeah I just bought a "15" pack of snow day bottled 10/20 here in VA

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I dunno, maybe I'm weird but I much preferred 2 Below to Snow Day. Isolation Ale is one of my favorite winter beers, and I found 2 Below to be similar. Snow Day just seems unremarkable in the wake of other dark malty/roasty winter seasonals.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Avenged posted:

Hah, Beer Geeks has an excellent tap list. Its a decent bar, but sometimes I do get the feeling that its like drinking in someone's basement.

You nailed it. It was my first time in the place despite having bandmates who had frequented it for pretty much the entire time it's been open. I don't mind a little dank in my bar, that's for sure.