Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

octoroon posted:

From what I've seen, successfully taking down a power node in a base gives you something like a ~75% chance of winning right then regardless. If Fades are up and their IPs are unpowered, they don't stand much of a chance. But maybe with really top-tier players that isn't quite so certain.

A lot of times a skulk or 2 will take down the base powernode without the marines realizing it. Then the marines would kill the skulks and what would have been a game ending power loss is spoiled. If there's an aware fade in the area they can keep the power down indefinitely until more backup arrives to wipe the team. This happened a lot in the beta with more aware players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Boing posted:

<skulk chat>
Youi are already leaping around like a madman, so that is a good start. More verticality usually makes you even harder to hit, so try and get used to jumping to a wall and then jumping off of it at a relatively high angle. The more you make the marine spin around, the better.

Don't ever move in straight lines for more than a split second (in combat). It makes you easier to track, *especially* if you are moving straight towards your target.

Leap can be used like a double-jump, and you can completely change direction when you use it. You can also point up or down when you use it. This lets you move in all kinds of crazy ways, without needing a nearby wall to bounce off of. Similarly, Fades can use blink in the same way... go right over a marine's head, or get close to that rear end in a top hat jetpack who thought he was safe.

This part is kind of hard, but try to get to the point where you don't just hold down the button to keep biting and hoping for a hit. When you are juking around super fast, sometimes this is the only way to hit anything, but when you get more aware of precisely how you are moving around, it might give you an edge. Basically as you get better at movement, you will get better at determining when you need to bite and when you don't, so you are less likely to miss those opportunities where the target has flashed by your mouth but you were between bites.

And don't be afraid to retreat. Dying gives them resources, and you won't gain any while you wait to hatch again (this REALLY sucks). If you leave a marine wounded, he will either go back for healing (taking time) or continue on becoming a 1 hit kill for the next skulk that finds him. Getting the first hit is usually the easiest... finishing them off is much harder.

Listen for their reloads. Rifle clips are short, and the pistol sounds distinctly different so it is easy to tell if they swapped to it instead of reloading. When they reload, you have an opportunity to stop spazzing and go straight at them for a moment (assuming they are alone).

If you are hiding in a room and a marine comes in to start building something, you can often get at LEAST 2 bites on them from behind before they react. The building sounds can help mask the noise you make. Just try and make sure you approach from behind.

[Edit] Ping makes a big difference too I think. Although the game feels like it plays well with high ping, it seems like you can die nearly instantly from rifle because you didn't realize you were even being shot until you are virtually dead.

FuSchnick fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 5, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
I thought they took out res for kills, can we confirm that's still in?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Uh no we can't confirm it's still in because it's not in. It's out.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

AndyAML posted:

if you get killed a lot, it means that you're giving the enemy team more resources to play with.

:siren:loving WRONG:siren:

Dying to an enemy gives them exactly 0 resources or benefits besides the fact that you are dead. If you're a skulk, sometimes dying in order to injure a group of marines and maybe even making them retreat in fear is a fine choice, if it means it stops them from making an organized push for your harvesters.

The worst thing you can do in this game is sit on the goddamn ceiling, waiting for the perfect goddamn moment to activate your ~*MASTER AMBUSH PLAN*~ Just loving kill them. Who cares if you die, you're a skulk. You are literally walking garbage, meant to fall on people and bite their ankles apart, and keep the important things like lerkers, onoses, fades, harvesters, and other expensive poo poo alive and kicking. You are a distraction and a pest.

Don't try to protect your priceless Kill Death Ratio like in call of duty because I guarantee your team will be pissed at you for masturbating on the ceiling for minutes at a time instead of skulk-swarming a power node or loving up marines faces.

FuSchnick posted:

and you won't gain any [resources] while you wait to hatch again (this REALLY sucks).
This might be true I guess. But waiting 6 seconds and maybe missing 1 resource doesn't mean poo poo. Go kill things.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 6, 2012

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
So my frequent locking up/hitching seems to be related to texture loading. When I had texture streaming on, the game only starts hitching after playing for a while. With it off, I get frequent hitching right off the bat, usually whenever I move/turn a little. Does this mean a potential issue with my HDD or video card? How might I go about narrowing down the problem?

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Any goon servers? Best part of NS1 were the community servers where you played with roughly the same people and knew what to expect and tried various tactics.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Just had my first game as alien comm and I think I did alright. We won at least. Went early camouflage then carapace.

So can someone give me a run down on Shifts, their purpose and strategies because it was implied they were game changers but I didn't really get a chance to use them.

quote:

Any goon servers? Best part of NS1 were the community servers where you played with roughly the same people and knew what to expect and tried various tactics.

There are at least two goon servers right now. Check out PGS.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I'm going to be streaming later, so for all the people that keep asking about tactics or how to play a certain lifeform, come in IRC (and then eventually in my twitch channel /garfu) and you can make requests and I'll do my best to show you how to play. I'll probably start around 9est.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

Just had my first game as alien comm and I think I did alright. We won at least. Went early camouflage then carapace.

So can someone give me a run down on Shifts, their purpose and strategies because it was implied they were game changers but I didn't really get a chance to use them.

There are at least two goon servers right now. Check out PGS.

Shifts can spawn eggs around them which allows you to create closer respawn zones for your team. Reduced travel time = your pushes are harder to stop.

You can also upgrade them and use them to teleport buildings around, allowing you to move your crags/whips/stealthy building (whatever the hell it's called) forward as the push advances. Generally though, by the time that this is something I'd want to do I probably have enough res to just plop down another bunch of crags and a stealther.

If your team is sucking a shift pushing eggs out eliminates the respawn bottleneck too.

The most effective thing that I have noticed helps as alien commander is to simply tell your skulks to travel in packs. If you are alone, find someone else to go with. Never travel alone. They are so fast and can cover the map so easily (particularly since I always start with shift hive and give them celerity relatively soon) that there's really not much point in spreading out all over to be easily picked off. Oh and beg for a gorge if necessary to help with your initial expansion.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 6, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So a Shift can teleport other structures to itself or away from itself? What are the tactical uses of this? Building up a reserve of Shades in your base then plopping them quickly on the map? How fast does this teleport process happen?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Garfu posted:

I'm going to be streaming later, so for all the people that keep asking about tactics or how to play a certain lifeform, come in IRC (and then eventually in my twitch channel /garfu) and you can make requests and I'll do my best to show you how to play. I'll probably start around 9est.

I'm curious your own feelings on hive evolution order if you could.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RadicalWall posted:

I thought they took out res for kills, can we confirm that's still in?
It's in in a backwards way -- by killing an enemy you keep him dead for a while, which stops personal res from ticking on him

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

AgentF posted:

So a Shift can teleport other structures to itself or away from itself? What are the tactical uses of this? Building up a reserve of Shades in your base then plopping them quickly on the map? How fast does this teleport process happen?

Only away from itself. Once the shift building has fully matured (An enzyme dropped on it (Third tab, third row, first button, or hit 'e' then 'z') will accelerate the maturation) you can evolve the shifting ability. I think it's 10 for the tower and 15 to evolve the ability. From then on, you can select the shift tower (Or multiple shift towers) and use the button to select a type of tower near the shift tower you want to move. This includes all the upgrade towers, all the special towers and the whip, and you can place it *anywhere* on the map on infestation for 5res. Takes about 6-10 seconds or so. You can also move the shift tower itself in the same way.

It's ludicrously expensive res wise, unless you're hitting a turtle and don't really have anything else to spend it on. But it allows you to get healing bases back in order really fast, or coordinate whip-bomb attacks.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 6, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Side question: Do you have to evolve Bombard on every whip separately or is it hive-wide?

EDIT: How do they fare against Exos?

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 6, 2012

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

Side question: Do you have to evolve Bombard on every whip separately or is it hive-wide?

Separately. Think of them like ARCs.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So, how about using a Shift to farm Crags at your base and teleporting them off to be healing stations outside a marine base? Is this any faster than just plonking down the Crags normally and, if so, does the extra speed justify the extra cost?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

AgentF posted:

So, how about using a Shift to farm Crags at your base and teleporting them off to be healing stations outside a marine base? Is this any faster than just plonking down the Crags normally and, if so, does the extra speed justify the extra cost?

I cant see how it would possibly be faster considering you still have to grow them and then wait for them to transfer over. It seems like its purely for reusing your old structures to push the front lines.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

7c Nickel posted:

Unable to function at all.

If a Fade repeatedly uses Vortex on a Phasegate for instance, no marines will be able to come through.

From personal experience, it also has a small area of effect - I have disabled 3 infantry portals at once with vortex. I haven't tried it on a command chair before, but now that I think about it that has the potential to be incredibly annoying!

You can also stop people humping the armoury in a base with vortex if there is no gorge around to bile it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Game owns. Thread owns. Thanks guys for all the great information here. Coming from what seemed like years of NS1, I was still far more lost than I expected to be firing this game up today.

No one in the server I played in knew what vortex was, so I'm glad that got answered here. Does it seem like like aliens win far more often than marines, or is it just my newbie experiences on first day? Something seems off on the balance still, but I like that there seems to be more flexibility in build structure allowed for this time. The map is fluid and flexible instead of rigid and predictable like in NS1.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

I cant see how it would possibly be faster considering you still have to grow them and then wait for them to transfer over. It seems like its purely for reusing your old structures to push the front lines.

Pretty much this. If you're patient enough, you can move a shift around to move a healing station closer/away from/to the other side of a base that you want to attack.

The khammander has a lot of depth to his gameplay, but it's basically the reverse from the marine commander. The marine comm is relying on his vision to instruct his marines and do what needs to be done, whereas the Khamm is reacting more to the players as they move/chomp things around the map.

The crags are great for not only the passive healing, but the res-costing massive heal on a cooldown they have. Can be ridiculous on structures if the Khamm is paying attention. And shades can throw out Khamm-controllable hallucinations that can wreak havoc to morale sometimes.

I love playing, and I can't wait until the depth of the game is really plumbed even in pub games.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Game owns. Thread owns. Thanks guys for all the great information here. Coming from what seemed like years of NS1, I was still far more lost than I expected to be firing this game up today.

No one in the server I played in knew what vortex was, so I'm glad that got answered here. Does it seem like like aliens win far more often than marines, or is it just my newbie experiences on first day? Something seems off on the balance still, but I like that there seems to be more flexibility in build structure allowed for this time. The map is fluid and flexible instead of rigid and predictable like in NS1.

I think their latest metrics showed an almost perfect 50/50 split on games won, I think with a very slight edge to Marines.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

No one in the server I played in knew what vortex was, so I'm glad that got answered here. Does it seem like like aliens win far more often than marines, or is it just my newbie experiences on first day?

Vortex is one of those new things that no one has a handle on cause it's unlike anything from NS1.

I think it's one of the main reasons why people complain about aliens feeling weaker is because alot of their mid/late game abilities are these really new things that people just aren't used to yet like how vortex can break a turtle in it's tracks or how hallucinations can get commanders to panic about a non existent base rush.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

I'm curious your own feelings on hive evolution order if you could.

In pubs: If you go quick hive, it's leap, crag, carapace, shift, celerity, bunch of other upgrades, then shade. If you go harvesters + upgrades, its shift, celerity, leap, crag, carapace, everything, shade.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's funny how a lot of skulk players haven't figured out that the pistol is powerful and laser-accurate. In my last game, I kept gunning down skulks who thought they were safe watching me from all the way across the room but it takes less than a second to empty half the magazine into them.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something
Important note for marines: NEVER GO IT ALONE. You are not a spartan-II. You are not a space marine. You're an average man with a gun, and your comrades are more important weapons than the ones you hold in your hands. I'm sick of commanding pub games where everyone rushes off to do their own thing and gets picked off by skulks who are made for that sort of thing.

You see that? That's how marines should operate. It might be too much to ask pubs to perform perfect military drills, but goddamn, at least have the sense to cover each other and maybe pay attention to what's behind or above your friends.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just bought this. How awful is the community? If I play a few matches to get a feel, and then decide I want to try a match as commander, am I going to get yelled at and votekicked from the game the moment I do something badly?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LibbyM posted:

I just bought this. How awful is the community? If I play a few matches to get a feel, and then decide I want to try a match as commander, am I going to get yelled at and votekicked from the game the moment I do something badly?

I haven't seen too many people being really rude to commanders, but new commanders are under a lot of pressure because bad commanding legitimately makes the game suck for your team.

Just make sure to communicate and listen to your team and it'll be fine.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

LibbyM posted:

The community is pretty laid back and reasonable in my experience. Unlike in most other games, the vast majority of players realize the importance of listening to the commander. You should play as a grunt for a few hours and get a feel for how things are done, and maybe play around with the commander interface in explore mode before you try commanding. People are mostly good sports and you won't be votekicked for incompetence unless it becomes clear that you're blatantly trolling, eg. Recycling every building and spawning thousands of ammo boxes next to an armory.

Just make sure you have a microphone and don't afraid to ask for help.

Gormless Gormster posted:

But yeah, if you're commanding, talk a lot, plan a lot and always update your team. It's crucial, and its extremely annoying when you get a silent commander who treats the game like a resource race and leaves all the planning to the players.

Play like a Leader of men - Team carries out the commander's vision, operates like a well drilled military machine.

Play like a Starcraft player - Team flops aimlessly like a bunch of wet fish and gets eaten alive by aliens.

Follow ^ and you'll be a graduate of the Gormless Officer Cadet School.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Natural Selection 2 just got a review from IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/natural-selection-2-review

8/10

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've been kind of worried about the lack of reviews but It's probably a good thing to get the initial launch issues out of the way before they start reviewing.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Has anybody come out with an ultra-optimised config for NS2 yet? I've set all graphics settings to minimum in the control panel, but it'd be nice to try a bunch of commands (or muck around in an .ini file) to just streamline it that little bit more. I'm on a laptop of not-awful specs, but not designed to play games.

Specs, for reference:

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz (I considered turning turbo boost off and just manually o/c'ing to 2.4ghz but google seems to suggest this doesn't really help anything)
6GB 2 DIMM (2GB x1 + 4GB x1) DDR3 1333Mhz
Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 525M ,1GB(Quad Core)

I know I'll never break 30fps but after a few minutes in game it becomes completely unplayable, roughly 1-2fps. That said, I haven't played the latest patch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VarXX posted:

Natural Selection 2 just got a review from IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/natural-selection-2-review

8/10

The guy reams it pretty hard for the lack of a decent tutorial but it's the only negative thing he says about the game aside from some minor gripes about the lack of variety in player models. Too bad he uses it as a basis for saying "Natural Selection 2 has a lot to learn."

Ok, NS2 is pretty tough starting out. I'm still learning stuff after playing 9 hours of it. But after the first hour of groping around, I felt pretty confident that I'd figured out the basics. The lack of a tutorial is a downside for sure, but I don't think the game is asking too much from new players.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Slappy Moose posted:

:siren:loving WRONG:siren:
drat, if this is true then I've been going about things the wrong way. Too much time playing NS1.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Fallom posted:

The guy reams it pretty hard for the lack of a decent tutorial but it's the only negative thing he says about the game aside from some minor gripes about the lack of variety in player models. Too bad he uses it as a basis for saying "Natural Selection 2 has a lot to learn."

Ok, NS2 is pretty tough starting out. I'm still learning stuff after playing 9 hours of it. But after the first hour of groping around, I felt pretty confident that I'd figured out the basics. The lack of a tutorial is a downside for sure, but I don't think the game is asking too much from new players.

The guy probably only reviewed it for 45 minutes.

Besides, it's IGN. I'm pretty sure UWE haven't given them any advertising money, so there's a hard cap on what scores they can give out. A medium-high score with an entire article of "this is all amazing" followed by a concluding "but there are a couple tiny issues so watch out" is just "game review" code for "this is a fantastic game, but they don't directly sponsor us".

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Early Silence for Skulks is pretty amazing. I snuck up on a group of three and killed them all without getting hit, then another group of two.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Okay IGN, knocking them for "repetitive player models" is just wrong. The lack of tutorial is an understandable complaint, modern games get judged by that standard -- it's still inexcusable for someone who has been gaming as long as that reviewer to have a hard time picking up the game if he's giving it any effort at all, but at least it's a legitimate gripe in some overarching sense.

But "repetitive players models?" What, because there are only three different marine models stratified by preorder status and the aliens adhere to a similar style based on the name of the loving game? I don't even know.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

That Gobbo posted:

Early Silence for Skulks is pretty amazing. I snuck up on a group of three and killed them all without getting hit, then another group of two.
Silence is definitely my favorite first skulk upgrade. The slower reaction times from marines feels like an extra 200 armor.

At current pub skill levels anyway.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you watch the video review they basically gush over the game and the guy hanging over the player's shoulder constantly says "this looks amazing" and "I really want to play this" so I don't think anyone who read or watched the review would be turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Not to mention the guy alt tabs when he switches to the alien side and his alt key gets stuck so for the entire alien overview he's stuck crouchwalking thus making the gorge move 1mph and the skulk can't climb walls and the lerk can't fly. Half of his video review is borked. loving idiot.

• Locked thread