Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Brother Scrotum posted:

Just won a game against turtling marines by using Onos hallucinations. So drat funny.

I think I was in that same game, that was so hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lurking291230 posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you "take" Onos eggs?

I always spawn as skulk and I don't know how that is possible.

They're the same model as the eggs that you spawn out of, and they have an icon above them showing what you'll when you go up to them and press E.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Fallom posted:

They're the same model as the eggs that you spawn out of, and they have an icon above them showing what you'll when you go up to them and press E.

Oh... :neckbeard:

I've seen those things before but I didn't know about that. Thanks.

edit: Wait, so a khammander could drop a bunch of onos eggs late in the game and have the team swarm the marines with onos continually?

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2012

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Brother Scrotum posted:

First off: Improved skulk wall running? What?

I just mean how much easier it is to wallrun on all the different surfaces that stick out like pipes and poo poo. Compared to NS1 it seems like you can transition across different objects without having to be careful or fall off.

Lurking291230 posted:

Oh... :neckbeard:

I've seen those things before but I didn't know about that. Thanks.

edit: Wait, so a khammander could drop a bunch of onos eggs late in the game and have the team swarm the marines with onos continually?

It takes resources and only gives you one use. Just like the marine commander can drop equipment. In both cases it uses team resources to gear someone up instead of personal resources.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Bio-Hazard posted:

I think I was in that same game, that was so hilarious.

It was on Veil, I was an alien commanding as "DrGreatJob." If you were in that game and on my team, I thank you graciously for maintaining my perfect winning commanding record. That poo poo got nasty, two major attacks on Sub Sector, one that killed the Hive (which I re-dropped immediately) and a second, worse attack with like 7 marines that you guys held off valiantly, basically winning the game for us!

If you were on the other team, I'm so sorry. :D

\/\/ This is right. 200 Res max. \/\/

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 9, 2012

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lurking291230 posted:

There's a cap of 200 res (I think) so unless the game lasts a long, long time the khammander wouldn't be able to drop an excessive amount.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of these days. One of these days I will figure out how half of our marines got stuck in the ventilation system.

But I don't think I'll ever figure out how we actually won that game. Jesus Christ this game produces some pretty bizarre scenarios.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Captain Beans posted:

I just mean how much easier it is to wallrun on all the different surfaces that stick out like pipes and poo poo. Compared to NS1 it seems like you can transition across different objects without having to be careful or fall off.

IIRC, skulks in NS1 had their view change all the time whether they were on the wall or not, right? Something seems slightly off with skulks now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Torpor posted:

IIRC, skulks in NS1 had their view change all the time whether they were on the wall or not, right? Something seems slightly off with skulks now.

The camera not changing angle to keep whatever surface you're attached to as "down" is pretty hard to deal with at first.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Torpor posted:

Nope. The angle of the view never changed regardless of what surface you were walking on. That would be incredibly disorienting.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

The Crotch posted:

One of these days. One of these days I will figure out how half of our marines got stuck in the ventilation system.

But I don't think I'll ever figure out how we actually won that game. Jesus Christ this game produces some pretty bizarre scenarios.

There is one map where marines can climb inside the ventilation system and NEVER get out of it, because it drops them like 20 feet and they can't climb out. If the aliens don't kill them, they are out of the game.

I'm surprised that wasn't removed since I found it the first time I played.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Same, used to angle changes from playing as xenomorphs. Gotta admit I can see why, and now are starting to prefer, it works that way. It is drat hard to lose your orientation like this.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurking291230 posted:

There is one map where marines can climb inside the ventilation system and NEVER get out of it, because it drops them like 20 feet and they can't climb out. If the aliens don't kill them, they are out of the game.

Yeah, that's where we were playing, with the giant vent system and the double resource points in the middle (nano-something?). I'm surprised they could even get in there. I vaguely recall hearing someone say, "Hey, get on my shoulders!" and then a couple minutes later the power went out everywhere so we couldn't even recall them to help us defend/repair.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Lurking291230 posted:

If this ever happens to you, open the console (~ key) and type "kill".

Which vent is it?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just won my first commanding game ever and that was pretty smooth... Had a good team that just knew what places to put pressure on and I just kept expanding creep, getting harvesters, and got the right upgrades. :).

Does help a little to have played about 80 hours of beta :) (not as comm).

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentF posted:

If this ever happens to you, open the console (~ key) and type "kill".

Which vent is it?
For us, it was the big-rear end vent system in nanogrid on Veil, I think.

The big problem was that by the time they realized they were stuck, we were suffering major power/infantry portal/dead commander (he was trying to defend the power and portals, I guess) issues.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
hahah long rear end stalemate as the marine team and we were just holding them off with grenade launchers. A teammate sneaks behind locker room and puts up a phase gate and our entire team goes through it and locker room hive goes down in about 10 seconds. Of course we lose our base but it was wonderful to go out in a blaze of glory.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just got my copy of this downloaded the other night, and I keep disconnecting three seconds into joining any server. I've already forwarded the recommended port, so does anyone know what's up there?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
As it turns out, the later it gets the worse the players become and the less patience I have for them.

quote:

I just got my copy of this downloaded the other night, and I keep disconnecting three seconds into joining any server. I've already forwarded the recommended port, so does anyone know what's up there?

Not really, I would direct you to their support forums. That said there is a patch coming very soon that is mainly networking focused.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
So, I had a game where I put eggs in the Marine base. Some how, none of the eggs died, but my team decided it was more important to eat loving extractors and ignore either attacking their base or saving our hives. Thus, the marines established a second base. We ate the other base, popped up a hive, and so I built up to the Marines base again. After failing, repeatedly, to kill anything the Marines had, they decided to eat more extractors. Note that I had 8 harvesters already. The marines didn't have jack for res anyway.

Dumb fucks again, avoided saving another hive, and the marines had two tech points. They built exos and won the game.

I went from having my team spawn in their base to losing. Amazing.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

In that case you might have been better off pooping out whips next to their CC.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Anticheese posted:

The game has a lot of technical issues right now. Check their official forums and see if they can help, otherwise, you're more or less just stuck waiting, I'm afraid. I'm still hoping for a patch or fix that lets me get more than an hour in before the game locks up.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Yes. This is an issue that is well-known, a lot of people have it -- it has to do with your router. If you want to play right now check your router's firmware for any "flood control" settings and if they're enabled, turn them off.

Otherwise just wait til later today, they should be patching this by the end of the day.

Shima Honnou posted:

The game has a lot of technical issues right now. Check their official forums and see if they can help, otherwise, you're more or less just stuck waiting, I'm afraid. I'm still hoping for a patch or fix that lets me get more than an hour in before the game locks up.

This sounds like something in your computer is overheating, you really should check your temps. Typically if you can play for that long then get a lockup, you have overheating components, maybe a bad PSU or failing RAM. Almost definitely overheating.

NS2 taxes your CPU in a way most modern games do not so it could be pointing out an overheating CPU. If I were you I'd run Prime95.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 9, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, that's where we were playing, with the giant vent system and the double resource points in the middle (nano-something?). I'm surprised they could even get in there. I vaguely recall hearing someone say, "Hey, get on my shoulders!" and then a couple minutes later the power went out everywhere so we couldn't even recall them to help us defend/repair.

I've recently begun having fun building Minecraft nerd tower-esque gorge blobs to get place Gorges aren't supposed to be able to get to.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I've recently begun having fun building Minecraft nerd tower-esque gorge blobs to get place Gorges aren't supposed to be able to get to.

You can get into vents easily as a gorge by looking straight down and placing clots while jumping. I like to put hydras on the ceiling while hanging out of a vent.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

Being a dick with bile bombs from high vents is extremely effective and annoying. My favorite spot for this is the vents in nano.

Garfu posted:

If the skulk isn't using alien vision (which makes it so you can't see flashlights anyway) than you really don't have to worry about being given away. Because bad skulk.

I will often toggle off alien vision in winding areas while being sneaky. Alien vision makes it easy to see marines that are hiding/at distance, but flashlights reveal from around corners.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 9, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nechronic posted:

You can get into vents easily as a gorge by looking straight down and placing clots while jumping. I like to put hydras on the ceiling while hanging out of a vent.
This is what I was (poorly) referring to.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I picked this up today, and think I may be the worst player in the world at it. I can't get a single kill as aliens. Seems like I can never get in more then 1 bite before just get blown instantly away. Even by a lone marine :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To be effective, you really need to flank them. Use the vents, use the ceiling, and jump around so they can't hit you.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GOD! Is there some comprehensive guide for playing this game somewhere? My friend just got me this game and I have no idea what I'm doing. Being a commander is so scary too because people get mad at me for not knowing what the gently caress.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ass_Burgerer posted:

GOD! Is there some comprehensive guide for playing this game somewhere? My friend just got me this game and I have no idea what I'm doing. Being a commander is so scary too because people get mad at me for not knowing what the gently caress.

I played 100+ hours of NS1 and have clocked nearly 10 in this so far and I'm still scared shitless to command. Don't bother commanding until you are well versed in being a grunt.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I played 100+ hours of NS1 and have clocked nearly 10 in this so far and I'm still scared shitless to command. Don't bother commanding until you are well versed in being a grunt.

This. Sometimes you get a team where nobody wants to command, and this is the only time you should be stepping up if you're nervous about commanding. Ask permission first as well before you potentially waste everyone's time with an inadvertent expression of confidence. If nobody wants to command, the worst that happens is a game-over in a few minutes and essentially a team re-roll.

Really, the best teams I've played on so far have a reasonably skilled commander and a couple seasoned "lieutenants" who advise them via headset conversation.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd say do not command until you have played on the ground enough to know what strategies work for you and others. You'll get an idea of the things you really wish you had at certain points in a round and then be able to tech appropriately as commander.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ignore these guys. They're all afraid to lose.

Go command if you want to, it's a game. If you're new just say you are and ask for some guidance. Chances are there will be someone nice on your team willing to help. If you're on a team with someone who gets mad at video games then just find another server. It's as fun commanding one of them as it is playing alongside them and they'll be angry whether you're a bad comm or not.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just take solace in the fact that even if you are terrible, I'm sure everyone who is playing has had worse.

Yesterday we had a commander who refused to get out of the chair after spending a good five minutes trying to figure out how to build things.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Don't comm as a newbie unless nobody else wants to, also you must have a mic. Under these circumstances nobody will get mad at you and if you tell people what to do they'll usually do it!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Don't comm as a newbie unless nobody else wants to, also you must have a mic. Under these circumstances nobody will get mad at you and if you tell people what to do they'll usually do it!

I find it's often a balance between getting your good players to complete objectives while you channel the newbies into applying pressure by manipulating their respawn point.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
Most of the games I'm joining actually have a lack of players wanting to command. You shouldn't command if you haven't played a couple games or don't know what to build, but otherwise reasonable NS players will understand that people are still new to this game.

I'm not a super grunt player, but I do know the game at this point - if anyone new wants tips (or if anyone just wants to play together!) feel free to friend me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/alathar/

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just be vocal about it. A lovely commander who talks is 1000x better than a silent commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The only thing this game is really missing now is voice chat roleplaying gimmicks. Anyone remember Orcish_Grunt? The guy who never dropped character of an orc over voice chat? That poo poo was hilarious.

e: OH MY GOD he still exists on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzryoaXNQ0 this brings back memories!

• Locked thread