Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

How long has Great Divide's Wolfgang doppelbock been out? New to me and I snagged a bomber last night.

Since about July or so - it's pretty disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Well poo poo, no wonder I hadn't seen it since GD doesn't really make it out to NOVA/DC. Bomber was $10 too :mad:

Dallas Beer Week is coming up next week and I'm pretty stoked about this Avery event coming up Saturday, where they'll have Tweak. Have heard nothing but raves about it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Man, with all this talk of Lagunita's Brown Shugga' being so good, I'm going to have to snag a 6er from my workplace tomorrow. Pretty sure we should still have some, we had probably five cases of it two days ago and it wasn't selling like hotcakes.

I'm just now getting into the world of craft beers, so forgive me if I am a little ignorant. I started a few weeks ago with Dogfish Head's Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and haven't looked back. Bought two bombers of that, one of which is aging right now. Going to try a Backwoods Bastard here in two weeks when a friend visits then probably age two of the bottles for later.

What's everybody's favourite IPA? IPAs are my poo poo, so lay it on me. I have a Pipeworks IPA bomber at the moment, again waiting until aforementioned friend visits to try it.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Johnny Truant posted:

What's everybody's favourite IPA? IPAs are my poo poo, so lay it on me. I have a Pipeworks IPA bomber at the moment, again waiting until aforementioned friend visits to try it.

Ska's Modus Hoperandi

Congrats, DC, you're getting distribution of one of my favorite NC breweries, Mother Earth! http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2012/11/08/the-north-carolina-beer-weve-been-waiting-f-or-is-here/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

Congrats, DC, you're getting distribution of one of my favorite NC breweries, Mother Earth! http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2012/11/08/the-north-carolina-beer-weve-been-waiting-f-or-is-here/

Had Sisters of the Moon in OBX this summer. I'm going to assume it was old/skunked because it was pretty awful. Maybe I should have paid attention more to bottling dates when I found a little grocery store that had a surprisingly good local craft selection...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

All time favorites don't necessarily mean I can drink them frequently though :( I also haven't tried much Alesmith/Alpine stuff and that needs to change.

IPA's:
1. Ballast Point Sculpin
2. O'Dell IPA
3. Russian River Blind Pig
4. Surly Furious
5. Lagunitas Sucks

Double IPA's:
1. Bells Hopslam
2. To Ol/Mikkeller Ov-ral
3. The Alchemist Heady Topper
4. Surly Abrasive
5. toss-up: Dry Dock Seven Seas vs Russian River Pliny The Elder

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Haven't seen much talk about Sierra Nevada's Narwhal Imperial Stout. Black as night, dark brown head, slight hint of smoke, very roasty, and tons of chocolate and coffee. At 10% and $10/4pk, this is a steal and ideal for cheap aging. I've said it before and I'll say it again, SN puts out solid products with no hype and they consistently deliver.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Sierra Nevada is the poo poo, and blows the other 'big' craft brewers out of the water in terms of how good their lineup is at the price point. Torpedo would be one of my favorite IPAs at 10 bucks a six pack, but no, I can find 12 packs for 10.99. And their limited releases are all mostly awesome. Just a great brewery.

On that note, I didn't find Narwhal to be all that exciting. Had some kind of hop tinge to it I didn't like. I had a Narwhal the night after I had a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, however, so it had big shoes to fill.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Buy some Bells Two Hearted.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I generally find Sierra Nevada okay but not outstanding. Narwhal was one of the best things I've had from them, a great winter warmer with definite aging potential. It's on tap here in a couple of places, and I'll take it over Lips of Faith Chocolate Coffee and just about anything else in regular rotation.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone in the Chicago area seen Stone Mint Chocolate Stout around here? I want to get a six pack or bomber to try but haven't seen it at the Binny's I go to, and they don't know if/when they'll get it in.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

americanzero4128 posted:

Has anyone in the Chicago area seen Stone Mint Chocolate Stout around here? I want to get a six pack or bomber to try but haven't seen it at the Binny's I go to, and they don't know if/when they'll get it in.

Haven't seen it.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm 7 hours from the brewery and I still haven't seen it. loving Stone distribution!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tigren posted:

I'm 7 hours from the brewery and I still haven't seen it. loving Stone distribution!

Just snagged a bottle last night in Colorado :smug: The shop had a 1 bottle per customer limit or I would have taken a few more, poo poo sounds delicious.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That Mint Chocolate Stout's hitting shelves across Texas today. Pretty excited about that one and I hope it's as good as it sounds.

Sierra Nevada's consistency is what makes them outstanding in my eyes. I don't regularly drink their stuff, but with them, the beer is gonna be exactly the same even if it's been a while since you've had it. Most people seem to just take them for the SNPA as the benchmark, but they still step out of the box and make interesting beer. The 30th Anniversary Grand Cru still sticks out to me since it was so unique for a "strong ale". Lively hop aroma, not so boozy, and tremendous flavor shifts where it reminded me of various beers from them like Celebration and Bigfoot all at once.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Yeah, that Mint Chocolate Stout is delicious, finally saw a place that had some bottles but I admit I hadn't been on a search for it so it was nice to come across. It's impressively "real," if that makes sense. Doesn't taste like there was mint extract added, nor does it taste like a chocolate mojito. Too often those two flavors get muddled together but to Stone's/Ken Schmidt's credit the balance and blend are spot on.

At the same place I found the mint stout they also had Simtra with no bottle limit. I...stocked up. I consider it a way to transition myself off my Heady Topper supply when that runs out.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wattershed posted:

Yeah, that Mint Chocolate Stout is delicious, finally saw a place that had some bottles but I admit I hadn't been on a search for it so it was nice to come across. It's impressively "real," if that makes sense. Doesn't taste like there was mint extract added, nor does it taste like a chocolate mojito. Too often those two flavors get muddled together but to Stone's/Ken Schmidt's credit the balance and blend are spot on.

At the same place I found the mint stout they also had Simtra with no bottle limit. I...stocked up. I consider it a way to transition myself off my Heady Topper supply when that runs out.

Is Knee Deep's Simtra normally limited by you? Or are you thinking of Citra from Kern River?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Yesterday I had an Elysian Bête Blanche Belgian Tripel. It tasted some what sour. This is the first tripel which has tasted sour. Is this normal for Elysian?

Besides Victory's Prima Pils, are there any other decent American made pilsners?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

I heard that there were trademark problems in IL so the limited shipment that came here had to go back to Stone, so your chances of seeing it on Chicago shelves are near zero.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I heard that there were trademark problems in IL so the limited shipment that came here had to go back to Stone, so your chances of seeing it on Chicago shelves are near zero.

drat Frango mints...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Aratoeldar posted:

Besides Victory's Prima Pils, are there any other decent American made pilsners?

That's among the top of the style. Also good: Real Ale Han's Pils, Austin Beerworks Pearl Snap, Sixpoint The Crisp, Lagunitas Pilsner.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

air- posted:

That's among the top of the style. Also good: Real Ale Han's Pils, Austin Beerworks Pearl Snap, Sixpoint The Crisp, Lagunitas Pilsner.

Joe's Pilsner from Avery is pretty good.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Just picked up 2 more Shugga 6's and FBS 4's. Luckily no one seems to get it around here. :smug:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Aratoeldar posted:

Yesterday I had an Elysian Bête Blanche Belgian Tripel. It tasted some what sour. This is the first tripel which has tasted sour. Is this normal for Elysian?

Sly Fox's Pils is great if you are from PA/NY

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just picked up a bottle of the anniversary Chimay for the princely sum of $23. Should I hang onto it or just drink that poo poo?

I just opened a bottle of Three Philosophers so there's time...

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Johnny Truant posted:

Bear Republic Racer Five is delicious :) I used to be staunchly in the anti-IPA camp till I had one of those and it made me see the light.

Stout Day was amazing! The Sexual Chocolate keg was actually a 2011, which was a pleasant surprise. The Cigar City keg on tap was BBA Hot Blooded, and it was nothing short of phenomenal! It had a great, smooth bourbon taste without being overpowering (at the risk of losing my cool points, I can't really enjoy KBS as much as I do FBS because it's too heavy-handed on the bourbon for my tastes). Everyone at my table had a sip and decided they wanted a glass as well, except it ended up selling out before anyone else could get any. Definitely worth the wait and I hope we get more of CCB's stuff up here soon!

Ended the night with an Emelisse White Label Imperial Sorachi Ace, which was okay but way too strong and heavy on the licorice flavor. Kinda wish I'd have gone with the Terrapin Wake and Bake instead, my wallet wishes I had too :v:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Aratoeldar posted:

It doesn't match Prima Pils, but I like Sam Adams Noble Pils a lot

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

crazyfish posted:

Really? I got a bottle from binnys right when it came out. Very limited quantities came in though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
GI just tweeted about this.

That is some beer list... and the food sounds almost as good.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I don't have $100 to drop on that, and while the food looks good, I'm solid on having tried all of the beers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Really? I got a bottle from binnys right when it came out. Very limited quantities came in though.

This was according to Binny's Lincoln Park's beer manager. Apparently they only found out about the trademark problems after some bottles had been sold, so whatever was sold was in the wild but the unsold inventory had to go back.

danbanana posted:

GI just tweeted about this.

That is some beer list... and the food sounds almost as good.

I won't be going to this, but I'll console myself with my upcoming trip to Brussels :)

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Tigren posted:

Is Knee Deep's Simtra normally limited by you? Or are you thinking of Citra from Kern River?

Really fresh + in stock + unlimited quantity. It's also a bit of a challenge to find it at all around here, and when I do it's normally a 1-bottle limit. I love the stuff.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Ah Celebration Ale, the only good winter beer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

Ah Celebration Ale, the only good winter beer.

I definitely approve of seasonals that take the novel approach of...just being a good loving beer. As opposed to dumping the entire spice cabinet into the wort and hoping for the best.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

crazyfish's new avatar is like every goofy middle aged man I've had conversations with at bars.

They all seem to be real estate developers or oil industry dudes for some reason. (And they all hate Obama.)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

crazyfish's new avatar is like every goofy middle aged man I've had conversations with at bars.

They all seem to be real estate developers or oil industry dudes for some reason. (And they all hate Obama.)

It's actually a picture of a guy who writes for the same newspaper as that dead serious Olive Garden review from a while back http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/231419/ Can't remember what page the photo came from though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

Just picked up a bottle of the anniversary Chimay for the princely sum of $23. Should I hang onto it or just drink that poo poo?

This is not good at all, it's borderline awful.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Chimay overall does nothing for me. I much prefer Rochefort when it comes to strong Belgian darks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

global tetrahedron posted:

Chimay overall does nothing for me. I much prefer Rochefort when it comes to strong Belgian darks.

I really like the Blue, Red, and White but this is an abomination.

It's sour, bitter, and has a huge alcohol taste. It's just unpleasant. I hoped that it getting warmer would help but it's just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bought a case of Brown Sugga. People don't seem to be buying it terribly quickly around here, so I had to help out :3: I got some Ten Fidy too. It's going to be a great weekend.