Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why are we even talking about watching prequels that do nothing but cheapen the actual good movies? Keep them out of the order. They're loving horrible movies.

Agreed. Leaving the origins a mystery or just making up whatever you want is a better choice than watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Any credibility to this rumor? 'Darth Vader to be Resurrected'

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected

The article cites only 'industry insiders.'

e: VVV I highly doubt it's credible; I guess what I meant to ask is whether or not anyone else has heard this completely unsubstantiated rumor.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 12, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you think there is any credibility?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Slate Action posted:

e: VVV I highly doubt it's credible; I guess what I meant to ask is whether or not anyone else has heard this completely unsubstantiated rumor.

The only thing that would make this anything resembling plausible is if they did indeed go with Tano as the villain. They could have a single scene in the past with Vader and Tano.

I don't think that's very likely at all but anything is possible where Star Wars in concerned.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Strange Matter posted:

That's why the 4,5,1,2,3,6 order is the only one that makes sense. So much is revealed in Empire-- Yoda, the Emperor, Luke's parentage-- all of which are spoiled completely by watching the prequels first. In fact, Yoda in the prequels actually kind of makes sense if you watch Empire first and interpret his character arc as Empire showing a humbled, enlightened Yoda who suffered his entire world view being upended and set on fire. It makes prequel Yoda as unenlightened and spritually enfeebled as the rest of the Jedi, and the only reason he survives is because he is the most powerful. It makes both Episode 5 and 3 even more nihilistic than they already are, which is sort of awesome I guess.

Except that it resolves a narrative problem that should not have even occurred in the first place, and indeed wouldn't have occurred if the prequels were written by, like, a good writer.

Actually the only order that makes sense is 4, 5, 6.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

Actually the only order that makes sense is 4, 5, 6.

By which you mean, 4,5.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Madurai posted:

By which you mean, 4,5.

And you really mean 4.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unless you're like Alec Guinness and think they're all just storybook trash! Jedi was worth all the Ewoks for the confrontation between Luke, Vader and the Emperor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More directors on possibility of Star Wars:
JJ Abrams has given a definite "no" saying that he's too busy with Star Trek. Guillermo del Toro has said he hasn't even been offered but if he was he'd be too busy.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why are we even talking about watching prequels that do nothing but cheapen the actual good movies? Keep them out of the order. They're loving horrible movies.
Because they exist and until Disney buys my script* that completely rewrites the prequels starting with changing Episode 1 into a remake of Seven Samurai, they are going to be there forever. The worst thing about the prequels isn't just that they are bad, it's that their existence precludes a lot of stuff that could have been really cool. Instead we end up with midichlorians, Anakin Skywalker building C3PO and Ninja Yoda.

I haven't watched Episodes 2 or 3 since they were in theaters. That doesn't mean I can't still feel terrible that they exist.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

And you really mean 4.

That's my favorite, but I can't deny 5 is a better film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The correct pro order is actually 0,5,6 -> 1,2,3,4SE,5SE,6SE.

The theatrical versions of the original trilogy are wholly distinct from the 'special editions' and subsequent altered releases.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The theatrical versions of the original trilogy are wholly distinct from the 'special editions' and subsequent altered releases.
Okay that is the actual correct answer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The number of likely directors continues to be winnowed down. Brad Bird has announced on Twitter that he will not be directing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

vote_no posted:

This is a delightful analysis of the Force, and I think more accurately describes why the Yoda fight in the prequel was so hated -- it wasn't only that it seemed ridiculous, it was that it was completely out of character.

Another interesting thing to note about the Emperor using Force Lightning is that, A: up until that point, someone fresh to the series would think the Emperor is just another frail old relic like Yoda, long removed from combative prowess and reduced to the point of philosophical exposition, and B: Force lightning is so thoroughly removed from anything any character has done with the Force, that the exact moment it happens is completely shocking to the viewer.

Something I always liked about Star Wars before the prequels was that the Sith and the Dark Side weren't just palette-swapped Jedi with a few extra powers, they were pursuants of this strange, twisted knowledge, giving up their humanity in exchange for power unlike anything the force could give them.

When Luke, Yoda, or Ben use the force, it's relatively naturalistic; enhancing one's reflexes, enhancing your empathic connections with others, and bringing yourself to inner harmony. The most impressive displays of force by Jedi are prophetic visions, and being able to defy physics to move objects with your mind is seen as being the very edge of the Force's power, done only by its most gifted or skilled adherents. Compare this to Vader and the Emperor: Vader uses the force to turn the bodies of his victims against themselves, and the Emperor literally defies anything seen before. Vader and Palpatine are more than just fallen jedi, they're akin to dark sorcerers out of a Robert E. Howard story.

When the Emperor starts throwing literal lightning from his hands, he has completely gone beyond what the audience is used to the Force being able to do; he's not moving objects or receiving divination, he's not enhancing the natural strengths of his mortal body, he is literally generating dark energy to torture his victim. Hell, disregarding the EU and the prequels, you could make an argument that the Emperor throwing lightning isn't even an expression of the Force at all, but some strange power the Emperor has learned and mastered from decades of researching forbidden knowledge. One could easily believe that "Dark Side" is merely a metaphorical term, completely independent from force ability, to describe those who have turned away from the Jedi's search for enlightenment to amass power for themselves from any and every source available, no matter the cost.

I suppose that, personally, this is my biggest problem with the prequels, that they completely dissolve any of the mysticism of the Dark side and the powers it implies. The emperor no longer throws lightning because he is an ancient sorcerer versed in forbidden knowledge; he throws lightning because that's what Dark Side practitioners do. Vader's lightsaber is red, not because he chose to make it so, but simply because the Sith have a dress code. The emperor is not an impossibly ancient old man, The Dark Side just rots your body, and Vader's mechanical enhancements are the result of a single battle, not a potentially deliberate choice to dehumanize himself in search of greater combat prowess.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I personally prefer 0, 5, 2, 3, 6, myself.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The number of likely directors continues to be winnowed down. Brad Bird has announced on Twitter that he will not be directing.

I really wondering what they're motivations are. Is this like Before Watchmen where DC ran through a list of comic authors who rejected the proposal out of respect for Alan Moore and felt it was a cash-in? It still attracted some top-notch talent, but the number of people they went through and the names that they had wanted was pretty glaring.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Young Freud posted:

I really wondering what they're motivations are. Is this like Before Watchmen where DC ran through a list of comic authors who rejected the proposal out of respect for Alan Moore and felt it was a cash-in? It still attracted some top-notch talent, but the number of people they went through and the names that they had wanted was pretty glaring.

They may just be trying to stop the flow of fan/hate mail and "ideas" that will storm any likely director before it happens.

I doubt that the director they go with is looking forward to waking up every day for the next 9 years to a pile of cheeto-dust-stained letters and e-mails full of nerd rage and terrible suggestions.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

mr. stefan posted:

Another interesting thing to note about the Emperor using Force Lightning is that, A: up until that point, someone fresh to the series would think the Emperor is just another frail old relic like Yoda, long removed from combative prowess and reduced to the point of philosophical exposition, and B: Force lightning is so thoroughly removed from anything any character has done with the Force, that the exact moment it happens is completely shocking to the viewer.

Something I always liked about Star Wars before the prequels was that the Sith and the Dark Side weren't just palette-swapped Jedi with a few extra powers, they were pursuants of this strange, twisted knowledge, giving up their humanity in exchange for power unlike anything the force could give them.

When Luke, Yoda, or Ben use the force, it's relatively naturalistic; enhancing one's reflexes, enhancing your empathic connections with others, and bringing yourself to inner harmony. The most impressive displays of force by Jedi are prophetic visions, and being able to defy physics to move objects with your mind is seen as being the very edge of the Force's power, done only by its most gifted or skilled adherents. Compare this to Vader and the Emperor: Vader uses the force to turn the bodies of his victims against themselves, and the Emperor literally defies anything seen before. Vader and Palpatine are more than just fallen jedi, they're akin to dark sorcerers out of a Robert E. Howard story.

When the Emperor starts throwing literal lightning from his hands, he has completely gone beyond what the audience is used to the Force being able to do; he's not moving objects or receiving divination, he's not enhancing the natural strengths of his mortal body, he is literally generating dark energy to torture his victim. Hell, disregarding the EU and the prequels, you could make an argument that the Emperor throwing lightning isn't even an expression of the Force at all, but some strange power the Emperor has learned and mastered from decades of researching forbidden knowledge. One could easily believe that "Dark Side" is merely a metaphorical term, completely independent from force ability, to describe those who have turned away from the Jedi's search for enlightenment to amass power for themselves from any and every source available, no matter the cost.

I suppose that, personally, this is my biggest problem with the prequels, that they completely dissolve any of the mysticism of the Dark side and the powers it implies. The emperor no longer throws lightning because he is an ancient sorcerer versed in forbidden knowledge; he throws lightning because that's what Dark Side practitioners do. Vader's lightsaber is red, not because he chose to make it so, but simply because the Sith have a dress code. The emperor is not an impossibly ancient old man, The Dark Side just rots your body, and Vader's mechanical enhancements are the result of a single battle, not a potentially deliberate choice to dehumanize himself in search of greater combat prowess.

Well said. I agree completely. The lightning also appears as completely overwhelming; Yoda says that Luke requires no more training, so it would seem this power is irresistible -- a manifestation, like you say, of the awesome power of the Emperor. Then, in the prequels, it turns out you can just absorb it. Oh, OK.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Slate Action posted:

It's been confirmed Vader will appear through a video diary.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

It's been confirmed Vader will appear through a video diary.

Darth Vader: Sith Lord, Father, Video Blogger.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
SuperShadow confirmed it!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mr. stefan posted:

Can you write the next 3 movies?

Seriously though, well said.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

mr. stefan posted:

Very well written. I agree with you 100%.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I would hope Vader gets more than 3 sentences worth of lines. Was so disappointed at how little of Vader there was in Episode 3.

Also JEJ needs to get those lines recorded NOW, he isn't that young anymore, 81.

Same with John Williams. If he kicks off before he can do some more Star Wars composing it just wont be the same.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
You know things might not be for the best if you have to try and race to get talent locked in before they drop dead.

I agree Williams would be welcome, but it's not as though someone couldn't emulate him.

I disagree with trying to resurrect Vader. His character arc is complete. He's a ghost, meaning it would be a new guy in the suit, which makes no sense whatsoever: Vader's appearance was functional, designed to support his decaying body. What, someone else is gonna get dropped in lava?

I have such high hopes for this project. Then I see Mark Hamill in "Airborne" and get really sad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

vote_no posted:

Well said. I agree completely. The lightning also appears as completely overwhelming; Yoda says that Luke requires no more training, so it would seem this power is irresistible -- a manifestation, like you say, of the awesome power of the Emperor. Then, in the prequels, it turns out you can just absorb it. Oh, OK.

This is an interesting thing to bring up, and goes into how the real failure of the prequels is their demystification of everything. Star Wars itself was born out of this Dune/Flash Gordon/etc. melting pot of previous sci-fi when the genres were less delineated and you'd have space ships and magic simultaneously. The prequels are a product of their time in how they leave that behind. Yoda and the Emperor as an example, when I was a kid I figured Yoda was supposed to be a human, just what a human would end up looking like if they somehow lived to be 900 years old. The Emperor was beyond understanding when I saw Empire Strikes Back as a kid. Even Vader kneels to this guy he must be pretty serious. The way they designed the character's face in that hologram conversation was brilliant. Like with Yoda, very human expressions and yet clearly beyond what most life is capable of.

You see this sort of power very very slowly coming back into the world through Luke and Vader. In the first half of A New Hope "the force" is some spooky superstition made up by some crazy order of knights called Jedi. Obi Wan's stories about Darth Vader are great because they emphasize his piloting skills and other realistic (in the context of the movie) stuff instead of "yeah he was a jedi he could move stuff with his mind!" but at the same time he conjures this great Flash Gordony age of daring that's gone now. Luke can aim really well, Vader can choke someone from across the room, both are superior pilots.

By RotJ none of these qualities matter, I think, in finding Luke/finding out Luke is alive, Vader also grows a bit in capability. They both go way beyond short range parlor trick kind of stuff.*

mr. stefan recognizes the slow burn these minor details create in the original trilogy. When descriptions of how the force works are kept just vague enough, every action is the new tradition. Through RotJ we see Luke do things about on par with what Vader does in Empire. We slowly feel like Luke is in control and knows what he's doing (especially when he turns himself in and first meets the Emperor, undoes his handcuffs etc.).

When he finally loses it and defeats Vader, The Emperor, you notice isn't actually saying or doing much at this point, we sort of forget about him in the face of this more tangible conflict between father and son. So when he comes out nowhere with the lightening aftewards it's crazy.

In the prequels we get a regimen instead of this more natural coming into knowledge of how stuff works. Obi Wan improvised having a drone shoot at Luke while he was wearing a visor so now the way you learn how to use the force is to have a drone shoot at your five year old self as you defend yourself with a Yoda-sized light saber.

The explicit cataloging and breaking down of every aspect of the universe is great for selling toys and figures, but makes for boring cinema. There are some shamefully awful Dune prequels I had the misfortune of reading as well that do something similar, where ancient battles and surreal legends are turned into Terminator Salvation or AvP but with telekinesis. They made the mistake of looking to popular sci-fi for inspiration instead of looking inwards at these better left unknown bits of information that are what set off everyone's imagination regarding Star Wars in the first place.

It seems and unnecessary move given the licensing and merchandising potential for Star Wars stuff in general, I don't think the prequels really needed to go in that direction. Whatever story they do have in mind for this seventh episode though, I do hope they look to the past for how they choose to execute it. I'm not asking for Beyond the Black Rainbow here but just hoping they look at fantasy and heroic epics in general again instead of just stories with lasers. I feel like the original trilogy was this fantastical mash-up of Robert E. Howard stories and Dune while the prequel trilogy was written by Wookiepedia.

*I'm sure it's been discussed many times but I always loved how this fight starts out with Luke doing fine and regularly getting the upper hand, and he hasn't even moved anything with his mind yet! Wow! Then Vader decides he wants to get to the point so he just completely destroys him with no effort. Before the movie even ended that made you NEED to learn more about this guy and want to see another movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 20, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I disagree with trying to resurrect Vader. His character arc is complete. He's a ghost, meaning it would be a new guy in the suit, which makes no sense whatsoever: Vader's appearance was functional, designed to support his decaying body. What, someone else is gonna get dropped in lava?

Think of it this way:

Nobody in the galaxy knows who Darth Vader really was, except for Luke and Leia. To everyone else, he was just the terrifying mystic knight, the zealous and tyrannical right hand of the Emperor. Some new villain gets a set of replica armor and poses as a resurrected Vader, and to the citizens of the galaxy, ignorant of the power of the Force, think that is plausible and scary.

Luke, a crazy old washed-up Jedi, is the only one who knows that it can't really be Vader, and he's investigating. A new hero gets caught up in this mess somehow, and Luke serves as his mentor, then dies, leaving nobody else but the new trilogy's protagonist to inherit the increasingly relevant mystery of who's impersonating the Dark Lord.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bongo Bill posted:

Think of it this way:

Nobody in the galaxy knows who Darth Vader really was, except for Luke and Leia. To everyone else, he was just the terrifying mystic knight, the zealous and tyrannical right hand of the Emperor. Some new villain gets a set of replica armor and poses as a resurrected Vader, and to the citizens of the galaxy, ignorant of the power of the Force, think that is plausible and scary.

Luke, a crazy old washed-up Jedi, is the only one who knows that it can't really be Vader, and he's investigating. A new hero gets caught up in this mess somehow, and Luke serves as his mentor, then dies, leaving nobody else but the new trilogy's protagonist to inherit the increasingly relevant mystery of who's impersonating the Dark Lord.

Then right at the end it does a cutaway shot of showing NuVader looking ominous, and then Ian Holm looking ominous in the same position, no further context, credits roll.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

Think of it this way:

Now, if someone could just get a hold of his glove...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

thrawn527 posted:

Now, if someone could just get a hold of his glove...

The whales in the background make me think it's a crossover with Star Trek IV.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Strange Matter posted:

The whales in the background make me think it's a crossover with Star Trek IV.

*ahem* Whaladons.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

quote:

The rare white hump-back breed of Whaladon was almost totally wiped out, save for Leviathor, leader of the Whaladons.
Stop making me hate you Star Wars :(

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Strange Matter posted:

Stop making me hate you Star Wars :(

Clearly you have never been invited to a Mofference.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

MrBigglesworth posted:

Same with John Williams. If he kicks off before he can do some more Star Wars composing it just wont be the same.

I'm not that worried about John Williams not scoring the new films if he isn't up to it or doesn't want to. Or is, you know, dead by the time they're working on Episode VIII or whatever. Joel McNelly did good work for Shadows of the Empire so I think somebody else could do an excellent job taking influences from Williams without aping him and producing derivative crap.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

mr. stefan posted:

The emperor is not an impossibly ancient old man, The Dark Side just rots your body, and Vader's mechanical enhancements are the result of a single battle, not a potentially deliberate choice to dehumanize himself in search of greater combat prowess.

That was just your theory, though.
This is the problem with any sort of prequel, people come up with their own theories that they hold onto for years and so anything will be a disappointment.
That doesn't mean that those stories shouldn't be told, though. But don't blame Lucas for not being a mindreader.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hatter106 posted:

That was just your theory, though.
This is the problem with any sort of prequel, people come up with their own theories that they hold onto for years and so anything will be a disappointment.
That doesn't mean that those stories shouldn't be told, though. But don't blame Lucas for not being a mindreader.

His point is that the mysteries were far more compelling than the solutions, and to a degree that means that no, those stories shouldn't have been told. Whatever they brought to the universe wasn't worth what they removed. It'd be like Tarentino explaining that the briefcase in Pulp Fiction is full of gold bars. Okay, great, question answered but now it's hard to give a poo poo.

And with that said, it's not hard to argue that Lucas was going for something mythical and magical with Yoda, the emperor, and the force in general. The sources he was cribbing from were pretty obvious, and going back to explain those things in a more literal way robs them of any power they had.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

sethsez posted:

His point is that the mysteries were far more compelling than the solutions, and to a degree that means that no, those stories shouldn't have been told. Whatever they brought to the universe wasn't worth what they removed. It'd be like Tarentino explaining that the briefcase in Pulp Fiction is full of gold bars. Okay, great, question answered but now it's hard to give a poo poo.

And with that said, it's not hard to argue that Lucas was going for something mythical and magical with Yoda, the emperor, and the force in general. The sources he was cribbing from were pretty obvious, and going back to explain those things in a more literal way robs them of any power they had.

The short form of this argument is "midichlorians."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

mr. stefan recognizes the slow burn these minor details create in the original trilogy. When descriptions of how the force works are kept just vague enough, every action is the new tradition. Through RotJ we see Luke do things about on par with what Vader does in Empire. We slowly feel like Luke is in control and knows what he's doing (especially when he turns himself in and first meets the Emperor, undoes his handcuffs etc.).

It always seemed to me it was the Emperor who undid Luke's handcuffs, in a casual demonstration of his fine control and mastery of the Force.

quote:

*I'm sure it's been discussed many times but I always loved how this fight starts out with Luke doing fine and regularly getting the upper hand, and he hasn't even moved anything with his mind yet! Wow! Then Vader decides he wants to get to the point so he just completely destroys him with no effort. Before the movie even ended that made you NEED to learn more about this guy and want to see another movie.

I liked how the fight progressed in 3 distinct stages. In the first, Vader is just testing the waters and holds his saber with one hand. After they meet again, Vader very ostentatiously puts his other hand on his saber and steps up the pressure by Force-throwing things at Luke. And the third time he comes out of the shadows with no warning and, as you say, completely destroys Luke. Easily my favorite duel in all the movies. The lightsabers still have a sense of weight and power and it's very well choreographed.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Good News. It's been confirmed they are bringing back Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of Empire Strike Back/Return of the Jedi/Raiders of the Lost Ark, to pen either the second or third film. Here's to hoping that he writes the centerpiece Episode XIII.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It always seemed to me it was the Emperor who undid Luke's handcuffs, in a casual demonstration of his fine control and mastery of the Force.

I'm pretty sure that it was. "You no longer need those", gestures, then they undo. The whole point of the scene is to emphasize that the Emperor feels totally in control and that HE's in charge.

• Locked thread