Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

drunken officeparty posted:

What makes it so you only take damage going one way on the curse room doors? Is it flying?

Yes, only when going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just got to and beat the chest for the first time. Ipecac and a portable slot machine feeding me hearts and full health pills. I was kind of disappointed with the ??? fight, it's just Isaac but blue.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

...yes you are being a pedantic rear end.

I said I was a oval office. I don't know what more I could have done. You know, apart from shut up.
But Ed himself calls it "oval office" so there you go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I finally beat the Chest with ??? to go 7/7. Got Mom's Contact and a Joker on the first floor; Joker on Basement 2 sent me to a God room where I got Sacred Heart. I also got Holy Grail, a Pact and two Pentagrams - no cheating or scumming, one was from a boss and the other was in a boss arena. Things weren't exactly melting away, but my rate of fire was so high that Isaac and ??? were both frozen from 100% to 0%.

Now the really hard bit: I need all three of Spelunker Boy, Dark Boy and Momma's Boy. Once I have those, though, I only need Demon Baby, Daddy Longlegs (which I've yet to unlock) and Forget-Me-Now to get both Golden and Platinum God.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gromit posted:

I said I was a oval office. I don't know what more I could have done. You know, apart from shut up.
But Ed himself calls it "oval office" so there you go.

That post is from October 24, dude.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get the D6 with ???. I was just having a really good run but I accidentally killed myself with a bomb. Is there any strategy to using ??? or do I just have to be lucky/really really good at dodging?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Groghammer posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get the D6 with ???. I was just having a really good run but I accidentally killed myself with a bomb. Is there any strategy to using ??? or do I just have to be lucky/really really good at dodging?

Unless it got fixed since the last time I played as him, any items which give you temporary hearts normally give you permanent soul hearts as the blue baby. That means you can use things like the strength card for free hearts. You should also use the poop and break it every time it's charged until you find something to swap it for. It has a chance to drop coins.

Items you should try to get:
The Pact - Technically only costs 1 soul heart from the devil room since it gives you two
Whore of Babylon - Constantly active as the blue baby
The Relic - Gives you soul hearts every few rooms
Book of Revelations: Gives you soul hearts
The Nail: Damage boost + soul heart, also lets you smash rocks.

That's all I can think of right now. A lot comes down to luck, and a lot on skill. I'd say the Whore of Babylon and the Book of Revelations are the most useful out of the ones I listed.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Items you should try to get:
You forgot the habit (gives 3 charges when you get hit), which can be found in the shop room so it's a good idea to carry around 15 coins as ???. When used with the book of revelations/the nail, you've effectively doubled your health. When used with the wafer (halves damage), you're practically immortal. The polaroid trinket is also incredibly useful with ???, as it makes you temporarily immortal every time you get hit.

Unless it got fixed since the last time I played as him, any items which give you temporary hearts normally give you permanent soul hearts as the blue baby. That means you can use things like the strength card for free hearts.
It still gives him permanent soul hearts.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Working my way towards Platinum God, I finished chest with Isaac, Samson and ???. Trying now with Maggy, but keep getting poo poo items like Lard and Kamikaze. I have logged way too many hours into this game (350+) but I still love it.

How the gently caress are you supposed to kill the Mask of Infamy without piercing/poison/Dr. Fetus/etc. items ... he is way too drat fast, and just spins around immediately when you try to get behind him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ProfessionalNinja posted:

Working my way towards Platinum God, I finished chest with Isaac, Samson and ???. Trying now with Maggy, but keep getting poo poo items like Lard and Kamikaze. I have logged way too many hours into this game (350+) but I still love it.

How the gently caress are you supposed to kill the Mask of Infamy without piercing/poison/Dr. Fetus/etc. items ... he is way too drat fast, and just spins around immediately when you try to get behind him.

Same way you kill bloat. Chill in a corner and be patient as all hell.

Actually with Mask of Infamy I find it best to just run around the room spewing tears randomly, on the offchance one will hit him in the side and count as a hit. Repeat forever because the rear end in a top hat doesn't have a loving health bar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sockser posted:

Same way you kill bloat. Chill in a corner and be patient as all hell.

Actually with Mask of Infamy I find it best to just run around the room spewing tears randomly, on the offchance one will hit him in the side and count as a hit. Repeat forever because the rear end in a top hat doesn't have a loving health bar.

You don't need to shoot randomly. Mask functions exactly the same way as a Knight: whichever way he moves, the other half of his sprite is vulnerable. So if Mask is at the top of the screen and moving left, strafe left while shooting up and anything that hits to the right of the centre line will deal damage. If he gets close enough to charge, just run away. It takes forever and it's boring as hell, but really you should never be hit by Mask.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

You don't need to shoot randomly. Mask functions exactly the same way as a Knight: whichever way he moves, the other half of his sprite is vulnerable. So if Mask is at the top of the screen and moving left, strafe left while shooting up and anything that hits to the right of the centre line will deal damage. If he gets close enough to charge, just run away. It takes forever and it's boring as hell, but really you should never be hit by Mask.

Unfortunately, Mask is a lot faster than a knight and his charges are a lot more like Chub/Chad's charges than a knight's charges, so

whatever it doesn't matter Mask is the worst boss second only to The Bloat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Bloat is really easy, if time consuming to do without getting hit. The Mask is just bollocks.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Have you somehow managed to never enter through the bottom or sides of a fight with the Bloat? He has a loving garunteed hit every time.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The thing with the Bloat is you need to angle your shots diagonally or get behind it. That said, I've got Platinum God and a couple of hundred hours since WoTL came out but I still can't kill him without getting hit reliably.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Bloat is really easy, if time consuming to do without getting hit. The Mask is just bollocks.

Um are you sure that's not backwards :psyduck:

In other news, I was going to wait for the next giant info dump (it's probably gonna be a big one) before I posted this in the thread, but if you're not reading the thread for Xaiter's LP, I found some really interesting (and hilarious) information on how the Luck stat works. (I probably should just have dumped that here in the first place but, you know, hindsight :v:)

Long story short: negative luck is broken, eat Luck Down pills.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Color Printer posted:

Long story short: negative luck is broken, eat Luck Down pills.

Luck is amazingly broken in BoI, but that's a particularly impressive mistake.
Explains why everyone I know won the 7 Years Bad Luck challenge through lucky drops.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
So I just 100%ed the game and have gotten the Platinum God achievement. But now I don't feel like playing the game anymore. Has anybody else got this problem?

Pidmon posted:

Have you somehow managed to never enter through the bottom or sides of a fight with the Bloat? He has a loving garunteed hit every time.

The bloat is honestly the worst boss in the game. I can't remember how many times I've failed the Dark Boy challenge because of him, and how many chest runs have been lost due to his bullshit. It's a good thing however that it's been ages since I've encountered him! :smug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Color Printer posted:

Um are you sure that's not backwards :psyduck:

Yes. With low shot and/or character speed, it can be impossible to beat the Mask. It can be all-but-impossible to get hit once against the Bloat. After that, all you have to do is hide out of his line of sight until he goes to the bottom of the screen and you can hit him safely from above.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
Hooray! Finally beat the Chest Event with Maggie, what a terrible character. Started with Number 1, Mark of the Beast, The Rock, and then I picked up Mom's Knife (which has been what I completed the chest with on each other character I have beaten it with so far). Just have to beat it with Eve, Cain, and Judas now, which shouldn't be too bad!

Edit: Beat it with Cain on the first try, after having a pretty lovely combo, just wanted to humor myself and see if I could kill the Cathedral boss with it (Took like 2 minutes to kill Mom). Got a Judgment Card, popped out the little devil dude, so I used book of shadows to cheat a bunch of hearts off of him, he dropped 2 full health pills, and finally Moms's Knife! This was all the room directly in front of the boss room too!

Judas down now too, only Eve left. I had every single baby on that run, Dead Bird, Peeper's Eye, Guardian Angel, Halo of Flies, Attack Fly. There were like 15 things floating around my screen at once. Guppy's Tail + Skeleton Key in the chest is amazing, especially with the D6. First time beating the game without Dr. Fetus/Epic Fetus or Mom's Knife.

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 14, 2012

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Eve is in your list. Good luck scoring Guppy or Epic Fetus.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So, gently caress a whole lot of Dark Boy. I am finding it to be literally impossible, as in, I got through Depths I without getting hit, had Money is Power with like sixty coins, Technology, Number One, and the book of Shadows, used an Emperor card on Depths 2 to jump straight into Mom's room, popped the book of shadows, nearly killed her...and at the end of my gigantic run-on sentence of frustration my invincibility, I step back into the center of the room to avoid getting hit...and the moment I exit the BoS invulnverability, I go into the hit animation without taking any actual damage and nothing around to hurt me.

What.

I finished the fight without getting hit and went onto the next floor, but didn't get Dark Boy thanks to the phantom hit. I'm probably just going to use the achievement unlocker for that one, because I'm pretty tired of getting hosed over by glitches and bullshit on that achievement. Like the time I entered the room before the mom fight and was instantly hit by one of those orbital fly poops. Or the time that I got through the whole thing without getting hit only to get hurt by that old glitch where you would take damage at the end of the mom fight because of exploding enemies or something. Or now this time, when the book of shadows punished me I guess?

Either way, the last fifteen(!) or so hours of gameplay have all SOLELY been devoted to trying, and failing, to pick up that achievement, and getting hosed over repeatedly, so gently caress it. [/frustration]

In more entertaining news, Technology, Number One, Money is Power, and a couple of damage ups is BEASTLY. I kind of wish I found Polyphemus instead of MiP (or do those stack? I don't recall how the awful damage boost code works there). Or the Ouija Board.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

If you kill mom while her foot shadow is still in the air while near or above you, it will always land on you, even if it doesn't show. It sucks, I know :(.

I finally beat the chest event with everyone! Just need to do purist and I am finished!

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 15, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

codeorange posted:

So I just 100%ed the game and have gotten the Platinum God achievement. But now I don't feel like playing the game anymore. Has anybody else got this problem?

Definitely. Haven't played it since getting Platinum. I check this thread every now and again just to see if there's any news about updates or moving to the non-flash version or something.

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums

Sockser posted:

The Bloat.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the Bloat is the worst boss. I've lost track of the times I've had a good run going (lots of hearts, good items, etc) only to lose most of my hearts trying to kill this thing and its bullshit, faster than I can react, laser beams.

But I suck at this game so... :v:

Juche Fucktodd fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 15, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I finally beat the Chest (just once, with Isaac) and I feel like I'm about done with this game -- at this point it's hard for me to have fun when I'm compulsively rerolling items and trying to game the system for some broken combo every time, it's a headache. Definitely got my moneys worth but man, when you unlock the D6 it's hard to play the game the same way anymore. Wake me up when news about the remake hits, though

Edit: might as well brag about my winning item combo tho: quad shot, bent spoon, polyphemus, a ton of tears ups and damage ups INCLUDING cancer (with the trinket purse, obviously)-- it's fun to actually beat the game using (albiet extremely powerful) tears, I feel like I'm kinda cheesing it when I win with the knife or lasers or epic fetus or brimstone

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 15, 2012

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

It took me 200+ hours to platinum Isaac and I didn't play since then. I'll wait for the remake.
Now I'm in the same type of addiction with FTL. :v:

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

goferchan posted:

it's fun to actually beat the game using (albiet extremely powerful) tears

I know what you mean. Most of my chest clears have been with one of the alternate attacks, and it's kind of a novelty to beat the game with just upgraded tears.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
EDIT: Got it fixed, I am now a Platinum God, and can start working on 100-Percenting some other game!

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 15, 2012

TechnicalDifficulty
Mar 8, 2009
I would say for anyone who's burnt out on trying to get Platinum God, take a break from it and play a game as Cain once. It helps you remember why the game is actually fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

omeg posted:

It took me 200+ hours to platinum Isaac and I didn't play since then. I'll wait for the remake.
Now I'm in the same type of addiction with FTL. :v:

FTL is great and I hope the sort of adapted-roguelike feel becomes a trend -- I wouldnt exactly call Isaac a roguelike but it borrows a lot of the elements that make them exciting and adapts them in a similar way to Faster Than Light , it feels lke

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Just had a crazy good ??? run.

Basement XL, pick up a skeleton key and start opening loving EVERYTHING. Find a Stephen in a chest. Not Stephen Jr, I mean the DMG+ one. Item rooms give me a book of shadows and a crown of thorns (DMG+!)

Get Stephen as a boss, drops a second loving Stephen. On basement one! gently caress YEAH. Devil room pops and I learn something new about the game: If you pop book of shadows, you can buy Satan items without losing loving hearts. So I buy a nail and a mark and off I go.

Later on I pick up like four more +dmg items and a bloodylust and the devil uhh flying-ouija board combination and become loving unstoppable.

Only need to beat the chest with eve now.

Ugh.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Sockser posted:

Devil room pops and I learn something new about the game: If you pop book of shadows, you can buy Satan items without losing loving hearts.

That only works for 3 Soul Heart deals (which ??? always gets) because in the code, unlike deals that affect your heart containers, it's literally just "damage you for 3 health if you have enough soul hearts". It makes no checks for invincibility or anything.

Which is...actually pretty lazy.

:geno: This code just finds new ways to depress me.

(Then again, it's probably intended but who the gently caress knows with this game, honestly)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it cheating to go in diagonally through spikes or is it meant to be like that?

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I think it is meant to be like that. Otherwise, most spike-pit things would completely surround the item instead of just a + formation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MultiWerar posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that the Bloat is the worst boss. I've lost track of the times I've had a good run going (lots of hearts, good items, etc) only to lose most of my hearts trying to kill this thing and its bullshit, faster than I can react, laser beams.

...Don't try to react? It can't attack you if you're behind it, so if it's at the bottom of the screen hit it. If it's not at the bottom of the screen, go down out of line of sight and just concentrate on not getting hit.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...Don't try to react? It can't attack you if you're behind it, so if it's at the bottom of the screen hit it. If it's not at the bottom of the screen, go down out of line of sight and just concentrate on not getting hit.

So hey tell us how you avoid being hit when you enter the fight from the bottom/sides because that's the number one gripe about that bullshit of a bossfight.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Pidmon posted:

So hey tell us how you avoid being hit when you enter the fight from the bottom/sides because that's the number one gripe about that bullshit of a bossfight.

I don't remember, does it do some instant attack that hits you the moment you enter and you can't do anything about it? Otherwise I'd just run around it. I haven't tried any no-damage runs yet, but I don't remember Bloat being that hard. It's the one with the floating eyes, right?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
It's the one with the split-second Brimstone-style lasers that fire directly straight down or to both sides simultaneously. If you enter the boss fight from the bottom/sides, you're straight up hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Pidmon posted:

It's the one with the split-second Brimstone-style lasers that fire directly straight down or to both sides simultaneously. If you enter the boss fight from the bottom/sides, you're straight up hosed.

It's not that hard to dodge it if you know you're fighting Bloat. Sure, the first couple times you fight him he'll catch you by surprise. After that, once you see the boss intro show Bloat, you can move out of the way.

• Locked thread