Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention that he tried and spectacularly failed to go into TV and movies, and hasn't done anything in the industry (beyond getting Freelancer out the door years late) in ten years.

At this point, he's riding the same nostalgia train as half of the other video game Kickstarters out there, and claiming a far grander scope than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Not to mention that he tried and spectacularly failed to go into TV and movies, and hasn't done anything in the industry (beyond getting Freelancer out the door years late) in ten years.

At this point, he's riding the same nostalgia train as half of the other video game Kickstarters out there, and claiming a far grander scope than most.

Eh, no http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/. I wouldn't say he failed spectacularly.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Jedit posted:

Wing Commander IV, Strike Commander, arguably Freelancer, and if you want to go back far enough, Bad Blood.

More importantly, when Roberts launched Digital Anvil he announced four projects. Two of them were canned, and a third - Freelancer again - turned up three years late without all the promised features.

Hey, I thought Wing Commander IV was pretty awesome. Both it and Strike Commander got pretty positive reviews when they came out as well.

Freelancer arguably cannot be faulted to Roberts, since he left the project years before it came out and he's said that the concept behind it changed between when he did and release. (Basically Microsoft bought out his company and instead of providing the resources needed for it to fulfill the ambition behind it, they told them to scale down with a smaller budget.)

That's actually one of the reasons he's cited for doing Star Citizen as crowdfunding.. so he can do what he meant to do with Freelancer but wasn't able to.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 16, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Tywin posted:

Eh, no http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/. I wouldn't say he failed spectacularly.

Come on. "Who's Your Caddy"? "The Big White"? Out of that list, there are two that scored above a baseline 'meh'. If that's success, Ed Wood deserves an armload of posthumous Oscars.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Come on. "Who's Your Caddy"? "The Big White"? Out of that list, there are two that scored above a baseline 'meh'. If that's success, Ed Wood deserves an armload of posthumous Oscars.

Failing spectacularly in the movie industry means that you are still working at Starbucks after ten years in Hollywood, I'm not saying that he had immense success but producing some movies isn't failing spectacularly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Tywin posted:

Yeah, Roberts has had a pretty decent career as a movie producer - though I didn't realise it until I went looking. Producers are invisible unless they're a huge director helping someone else's project, a studio runner like Roger Corman or a long-time franchise producer like Cubby Broccoli on the Bond movies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jedit posted:

Wing Commander IV, Strike Commander, arguably Freelancer, and if you want to go back far enough, Bad Blood.

More importantly, when Roberts launched Digital Anvil he announced four projects. Two of them were canned, and a third - Freelancer again - turned up three years late without all the promised features.

I'm curious, just what were those initial promises? Pretty much what this kickstarter is trying to put out or what?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

evilmiera posted:

I'm curious, just what were those initial promises? Pretty much what this kickstarter is trying to put out or what?

Wikipedia posted:

In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.[34][35]

[...]

Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.

So yeah, it seems like this is Roberts trying to make the game he couldn't, and has been trying to make for a long time now.
I'm fine with it, really, but I think he's gonna hit a wall trying to create an immersive massive-multiplayer universe. It might end up being like EVE, except more combat-oriented, which might be fun to play I guess.

But I don't think silly MMO quests and people calling me "lol noob" will be an "epic space adventure".
"You have the freedom to be anything you want to be! Now bring these 10 space beers to the Polaris Trade Station and I'll give you 1000 space credits."

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 16, 2012

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

And Sui Generis continue to take two steps back for every step forward the recent video update about animation and combat appealed to me a lot, but if they honestly rate that kind of generic fantasy, painfully stilted dialogue as great writing then the prospect of the story has plummetted from "Will probably kind of suck but hey, I'll live" to "Likely to cause mental anguish"

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again
I'm curious about something.

Readers of this thread, are you tired of game Kickstarters in general, a particular kind of game pitch, or are you just as fresh and ready to pledge as you ever were?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Readers of this thread, are you tired of game Kickstarters in general, a particular kind of game pitch, or are you just as fresh and ready to pledge as you ever were?

I'm getting a bit tired of all the pandering to nostalgia, but nostalgia seems to be the number one driver of pledges.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
I'm making less impulse pledges, that's for sure.

Space Madness
Nov 5, 2011
I must admit I'm a little burnt out on Kickstarter projects after pledging a considerable amount to Project Eternity and following that project so closely.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Big projects have the halo effect with me, whenever one comes along I end up pledging to a few other smaller ones as a result.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm a lot less likely to pledge for the sake of nostalgia. I'll defend Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2, because when it comes down to it they're vastly simpler productions than something like ex-Obsidian's Baldur's Heartbreaker or Star Citizen.

On a related note, I'm a lot more critical of updates. I pledged early to Hero-U, but when the Coles seemed to turn toward slagging the rest of the industry instead of trying to sell their project, I shook my head and withdrew my pledge.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm sad to see Hero-U by Lori and Corey Cole still needing 100k with three days left, the Quest for Glory series were a big part of my child hood and enduring love for RPG and Adventure games. They're banking on a last minute surge, I certainly hope they're right.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Is it common for creators to invest a large amount of money as time is running out? For example, if Hero-U had $350k out of $400k, wouldn't you expect them to invest $50k themselves just so they would get the other 350?

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Orzo posted:

Is it common for creators to invest a large amount of money as time is running out? For example, if Hero-U had $350k out of $400k, wouldn't you expect them to invest $50k themselves just so they would get the other 350?

A lot of the ones that shouldn't have made it but did at the 11th hour (like hardcore tactical shooter) are suspected of doing it (read: did it).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I certainly have not taken any random $10 chances for several months now, but any project that actually seems marketed directly to me would still get as much money now as ever. If, like, a remake of Sword of the Samurai or a sequel to Knights of Legend or a Lord British-headed RPG or something popped up, I would be right back on the "AHHHHH ALL OF MY MONEY" wagon.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, this poo poo is pretty awful.

quote:

“Yes, yes. I have a fine journeyman blade, never used in combat. Its former owner was consumed by a bear a fortnight ago.”
“He was taken unawares by a bear?”
“I hardly think so. They make an awful noise, do they not?”
“But you said the blade was never used...”
“Quite so. The poor man left it at home for fear of chipping the finish before his master smith’s examination”
“Not the best decision, in hindsight.”
“I should think he would agree... now let us talk price.”

Is this supposed to be a joke? I mean that as a legitimate question. I think it's intended to be endearingly witty banter.

I'm thinking of dropping my pledge. Good tech does not a good game make.

I still do lowest level tiers for a couple games a month. I haven't dropped big bucks on anything for a while, though. Pledge volume is lower than it was initially, but it shows no sign of stopping.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I have backed 53 Kickstarters, I also consider this as fulfillment of my Kicking it Forward, which I said I would do on my own Kickstarter. I only backed projects I liked however and still do occasionally, but only if something good is around, I don't go hunting for them anymore though, I wait for news sites to mention them, or see them talked about here.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 17, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

I AM THE LAW posted:

A lot of the ones that shouldn't have made it but did at the 11th hour (like hardcore tactical shooter) are suspected of doing it (read: did it).

I remember Republique was accused of it, but they showed their full donation statistics from the last day to put that to rest if I recall correctly.

In other news, Star Citizen just surpassed $4 million in total pledges. They still have a little over 2 days to go, so it's looking likely that they will beat Project Eternity's record.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

NmareBfly posted:

I'm thinking of dropping my pledge. Good tech does not a good game make.
Neither does good writing. Or bad writing. I have never played a video game with good writing, and as long as the gameplay is there I don't care.

At least, that's what I got from your post, that you're dropping it due to cheesy writing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

At least, that's what I got from your post, that you're dropping it due to cheesy writing.

I'm overreacting. It's just so clumsy, and in the update itself they're all gushing with praise for the writer. That's the part that worries me more, because if they make bad decisions hiring a writer they might make other ones elsewhere. It seems like bad judgement.

Also, I'll throw them a bone when it comes to the animation, but I'm really not sure how fun the actual combat will be. It's early, I know -- but the physics simulation is an important part of the design, and you can see in one of the videos what this means when fighting big monsters: you spend a lot of time knocked flat on your rear end. Getting killed because you can't stand on your feet long enough to hit something is really annoying, in my past experience. I'm worried, is all I'm saying.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again
Christ, that's some bad writing.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Quarex posted:

I certainly have not taken any random $10 chances for several months now, but any project that actually seems marketed directly to me would still get as much money now as ever. If, like, a remake of Sword of the Samurai or a sequel to Knights of Legend or a Lord British-headed RPG or something popped up, I would be right back on the "AHHHHH ALL OF MY MONEY" wagon.

Does a new RPG by Guido Henkel (Realms of Arkania) and Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor) count? Because it should launch this Monday.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

CrookedB posted:

Does a new RPG by Guido Henkel (Realms of Arkania) and Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor) count? Because it should launch this Monday.
I am interested. Never played Realms of Arkania, but Betrayal at Krondor was way ahead of its time. I loved that game as a kid.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I'm not as big on the idea as I was when the whole thing first started, for various reasons. I guess the main thing is that there just aren't a whole lot of roguelikes being kickstarted. Projects failing for various reasons, and people taking large sums of money for things they can't possibly deliver are pretty big dampers as well.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I am getting a bit tired, probably because 1. Everything's a Kickstarter these days; 2. Most projects these days are unstoppable successes or complete flops, so you never really feel you're contributing; 3. The nostalgia train has moved way beyond the genres I enjoy (no offense RPG and space fans).

Which is good for my bank account :v: but I'll still pledge if I see something cool that's struggling to make it or just something I really enjoy.

A recent trend I'm not liking is the whole early limited pledges, akin to pre-ordering pre-orders. Yes yes I get it, human psyche, you're more likely to get people in if you make it a super exclusive limited-time offer, but Kickstarter isn't a store for goodness sake. If you start off like that it just feels desperate, that you don't trust your own pitch to make it, and then why should I.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Well, I'd love to pledge more, especially to pitches that really appeal to me. But what with having pledged so much already these last few months, most of my reserves are gone, and I have to worry about making money again for the next month at the very least.

I'd say I could start pledging properly again sometime after Christmas, where most of my funds will hopefully be spent getting presents/donating to worthy causes.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I have my little checklist of project attributes, and it hasn't changed a bit.

+ Is the art original and great?
+ Do they have video material up?
+ Has the genre/gameplay/concept become a rarity/extinct in today's market?
+ Will it run on ages-old PCs?

- Could the creators easily finance everything by themselves?
- Is there any namedropping/nostalgia pandering?
- Are zombies in it?
- Are the words "social", "mobile", "f2P" or "steampunk" to be found anywhere in the pledge text?

Generally, more than one negative point will eliminate any interest in the project from my side.
I've found that this system keeps my pledges at a reasonable level, and I've been using it since DFA now.

miguelito fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 17, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I'm pretty tapped out on Kickstarters at this point. I'm pretty much only participating in major ones from developers I like at this point.

I pledged $60 to Star Citizen, which will make the 5th Kickstarter I've participated in this year. (And I've pretty much already decided to pledge for when Dreamfall Chapters gets going next year.) And that's coming from someone who typically only buys 4 or so games a year.

Pretty much the only campaigns that could keep the money flowing from me were if I found out they were making new Myst or Journeyman Project games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

miguelito posted:

- Are the words "social", "mobile", "f2P" or "steampunk" to be found anywhere in the pledge text?
Does this count even for projects with a mobile port as a stretch goal?

On the one hand, I don't really kickstart pure mobile games, but, if FTL had had a mobile port stretch goal...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Zenith Nadir posted:

Just been turned onto this Kickstarter for an extended edition of "Spud's Quest" on the UK site at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest . If you've never played the original, it's basically a Codemasters "Dizzy" game (ie. a platform game where you walk around carrying a bunch of crap to solve puzzles) that was made during the increasingly distant days when all of the indie games were free, free, free. Not that that stopped me chucking £10 at them though!

I want it. It's got two weeks to go and hasn't made half its goal yet :(

edit: oh yeah here's a link to the freeware game, it's good

I wanted to also give "Spud's Quest" some love. The freeware version was great, and he's just released a demo of the first temple of the extended game. Try it out; see if you like it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest/posts/348895

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

In other news, Star Citizen just surpassed $4 million in total pledges. They still have a little over 2 days to go, so it's looking likely that they will beat Project Eternity's record.

What? It's showing up at $1.4M for me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

What? It's showing up at $1.4M for me.

They're taking donations on the main site as well. Currently, 2.74 from that and 1.46 from KS = 4.19M total.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

NmareBfly posted:

They're taking donations on the main site as well. Currently, 2.74 from that and 1.46 from KS = 4.19M total.

Too bad that doesn't count. What's so special about this one anyway?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dragonrah posted:

Too bad that doesn't count. What's so special about this one anyway?

It's made by Chris Roberts, who is inexplicably remembered for the two brilliant games he made in the early 90s and not for the lengthy series of failures and disappointments that his career has consisted of since.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ToxicFrog posted:

It's made by Chris Roberts, who is inexplicably remembered for the two brilliant games he made in the early 90s and not for the lengthy series of failures and disappointments that his career has consisted of since.

Hey, the Kickstarter is inspiring me to spend money. I haven't played Stryker's Run in over 20 years, I need to buy a second hand BBC Micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

Yesssss. haha.

Admit it. You'd totally kickstart a Peter Molyneux game based off his success with Dungeon Keeper or whatever... :smith:

(there aren't sarcasm tags here big enough)