Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

AxeManiac posted:

Look at these idiots, trying to see!

If the well lit, powered room is too dark to see in without a flashlight, you gotta fix your brightness settings. I mean the dumb guys who leave it on at spawn and spend more time obstructing the teams vision than shooting things. Not the people who use it to light up dark rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Turning off atmospherics gets rid of the magical fog producing lights as well as the other random clouds of fog and some other poo poo that can obstruct your vision.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Also, until regen gets fixed, chasing retreating Onos is sort of dumb unless you have about 5 other marines with you.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Look at these idiots, trying to see!
PRO GAMERS turn their visual settings to minimum and crank the brightness/gamma so they can see in the dark. I think.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
They seriously need to make Emergency Beacon a loving Command Station ability or something, Docking is completely loving unplayable right now if Aliens spawn in Departures. Every single skulk either charges nonstop to marine base and marines can pick either sitting all in base defending it and losing 15min in to whole alien team evolving into Onos or they can go out to capture nodes and lose the base.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dominoes posted:

PRO GAMERS turn their visual settings to minimum and crank the brightness/gamma so they can see in the dark. I think.

Thank god I play on rookie, I don't think I'm ready to decode the matrix of 1s and 0s to be a good alien shooter.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

AxeManiac posted:

Thank god I play on rookie, I don't think I'm ready to decode the matrix of 1s and 0s to be a good alien shooter.

Haha? The game looks loving great even on low details, which I'm forced to play on.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think a lot of commanders picking celerity first is just them not being used to regen being so good, so they're just doing what's comfortable. Hell, the regen buff wasn't even in the patch notes.

explosivo posted:

Is there any reason as Alien to not always run around with Preadator-vision on?
Aside from what's been said, alien vision makes it hard to see landmarks if you're in to that sort of thing. Also, glass. Glass is completely invisible. gently caress glass.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Hahaha I've lunged at marines who I thought were standing in the open and couldn't figure out why my bites weren't connecting. Took me a minute to realize the loving glass was invisible in predator mode.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

While sentries aren't exactly the best thing to spend on, if you get good placement on them they can be a pain in the rear end to kill. You need to ensure that the skulk can't get an angle on one where the others don't shoot him, and some space from any entrance. If I can get another skulk to go with me, we can almost always munch an extractor down before help arrive, or one can peel off and distract the marine(s) while the other finishes the job.

There's no such thing as a sentry that's a pain in the rear end to kill. It takes 10 seconds for a gorge to kill the sentry battery from far away with his spit. 5 seconds if he uses bile bomb. Lerks can down a sentry battery in less than 10 seconds with spikes.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

The Crotch posted:

Aside from what's been said, alien vision makes it hard to see landmarks if you're in to that sort of thing. Also, glass. Glass is completely invisible. gently caress glass.

Workshop has something that might help

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398&searchtext=

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

whiskas posted:

There's no such thing as a sentry that's a pain in the rear end to kill. It takes 10 seconds for a gorge to kill the sentry battery from far away with his spit. 5 seconds if he uses bile bomb. Lerks can down a sentry battery in less than 10 seconds with spikes.

You are a god damned bullet MAGNET as a gorge, though. I often end up getting celerity as a gorge just to run away. :( Even then, the number of times when the marine just has to kill that fatty while my skulk buddies chomp him up is growing. Now if they could only kill him before the marine kills me. :(

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

There are always going to be a handful of people in any FPS who will gently caress with their visual experience to get MAXIMUM FRAGS. Luckily, even with foggy-flashlight atmospherics and bumpy infestation and everything, it's still very possible to be good at this game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also with regards to pink skulks and whatnot, I think there actually is already a consistency-checking option that fixes this but it's a setting that is not enabled by default for servers. So I think fixing it is just a matter of UWE flipping a switch in a patch somewhere down the line if they feel it's that big of a deal.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 18, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

octoroon posted:

Also with regards to pink skulks and whatnot, I think there actually is already a consistency-checking option that fixes this but it's a setting that is not enabled by default for servers. So I think fixing it is just a matter of UWE flipping a switch in a patch somewhere down the line if they feel it's that big of a deal.

Yeah there's a setting that server admins can enable but no one does.

Until then,

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

octoroon posted:

There are always going to be a handful of people in any FPS who will gently caress with their visual experience to get MAXIMUM FRAGS. Luckily, even with foggy-flashlight atmospherics and bumpy infestation and everything, it's still very possible to be good at this game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Yeah, I never really care at being DA BEST in games, I just like having fun and so far I'm enjoying trying to be better and everything is really low pressure and just dudes playing aliens and marines.

Not sure how I feel about all those steam workshop tweaks, I hate poo poo like people using pink guns and dayglow textures and other lovely hacks. I love cheating the poo poo out of single player games, but multiplayer cheaters are just sad to me. Just play the game!!! Have fun even if you suck!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

whiskas posted:

It's this reason that I always suggest to my commander to build phase gates everywhere, instead. It's costly, but the ability to have a strike team of badasses appear anywhere near-instantly cannot be ignored. Since the latest patch the only winning games I've had with marines have been rounds where we splurge on gates at every important area on the map.

I'm also gonna have to argue that the Onos have gone way off the deep-end in terms of how good they are lately; especially with the changes to regeneration. Unlike the Exosuit, they're completely reliable as a solo unit; and aside from a lack of ranged attacks, have very little-to-no drawbacks (whereas the Exo needs constant support from troops for repairs and protection from ankle-biting skulks and deadly, deadly gorges) and can deal with just about any situation without much worry. Add to the fact that a goon Onos will never be working alone and you have a situation where most rounds boil down to marines being pushed back into their base by unending hit-and-runs and any attempts at a breakout being squashed by 2-ton battering rams that move faster than anyone not in a jetpack. Something really needs to be done in toning them down, but I'm not sure where to start.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

AxeManiac posted:

Not sure how I feel about all those steam workshop tweaks, I hate poo poo like people using pink guns and dayglow textures and other lovely hacks. I love cheating the poo poo out of single player games, but multiplayer cheaters are just sad to me. Just play the game!!! Have fun even if you suck!

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to turn it off but just haven't gotten around to it. It does feel kind of unfair now that they glow like christmas lights.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just had my first go at commanding, as Aliens. That was extremely unpleasant, I do not have the strategic fast thinking/micro required to pull that off at all. :(

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
So, I had a match on the custom map ns2_triad yesterday. Pretty good map, though being unfamiliar with it meant falling down random shafts and also this kind of stuff:

That's a phase gate, sentries, an armory, and some mines in a hive room. Also, it's the first time I've seen sentries used in the way they're supposed to be used (offensively).

One last thing, if your commander is a player named NSBot, don't be loving retarded. There's a group of five of us that have the name NSBot (all the names look identical in game, except for when they're listed as commander.) I got booted from Alien comm yesterday because they thought I was actually a bot, despite voice chatting. It is fun confusing people and hearing them complain about how bullshit the bot AI is, though, so it's still worth it.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
This screenshot reminds me strongly of NS1. Probably because building in a hive was more common then and this location reminds me somewhat of Mother in ns_nancy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Brother Scrotum posted:

One last thing, if your commander is a player named NSBot, don't be loving retarded. There's a group of five of us that have the name NSBot (all the names look identical in game, except for when they're listed as commander.) I got booted from Alien comm yesterday because they thought I was actually a bot, despite voice chatting. It is fun confusing people and hearing them complain about how bullshit the bot AI is, though, so it's still worth it.
If you're going to be intentionally confusing and claim it funny you do lose your right to complain about people being confused.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I agree, but bots don't typically voice chat. You know, since it's impossible. It's more to confuse the other team.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Tornado Lazers posted:

Hahaha I've lunged at marines who I thought were standing in the open and couldn't figure out why my bites weren't connecting. Took me a minute to realize the loving glass was invisible in predator mode.

You know how there are bugs in your house that don't understand glass and will bang against it repeatedly trying to get through? That's me as a Lerk :saddowns:

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah there's a setting that server admins can enable but no one does.

What is this setting so I can enable it on my server?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to turn it off but just haven't gotten around to it. It does feel kind of unfair now that they glow like christmas lights.

I just hate knowing they are out there because now every time a marine walks into a room and spots me instantly hiding in the far corner under a pipe I go :raise:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I'm not good enough to make balance suggestions but man Aliens just seem so much more effective overall than marines.

The speed alone is something I wonder about. Even before celerity skulks can cover so drat much map distance it's unreal. And with the alien's lack of need to actually participate in building, it's just so easy to be super drat aggressive. Holding a position means attacking somewhere away from that position, even if it's where the marines are building in the next room. Even if you don't take them down, killing marines here or there as they hoof it forward can slow their roll enough to give the aliens the advantage.

Hell, the skulk rush was ridiculous, last night we just all rushed their home base and ate their spawns and power before they could run back to defend. Win in under 2 minutes. We did this twice before they wised up and stayed home to fend us off. We actually lost that round, but that was purely because we did not have anyone stay back to be commander so while the marines were fending us off in their base we weren't expanding either and so when they killed us all they pushed out and were building stuff and we never recovered from 3 minutes of absolutely nothing but skulk attacks.

If we'd had a commander those first three minutes of spreading creep and taking some resources would have put us way ahead.

Is the game really balanced at higher levels (besides regen Onos, that poo poo cannot be working as intended) and both sides have a good chance on any map?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Man, I really really hate NS2_Veil. The double res node placements just don't work at all as well here as they did in NS1, and the game really just devolves into who can successfully control double res. It's horrible, which is made doubly worse by it being one of my favorite NS1 maps. :smith:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I just hate knowing they are out there because now every time a marine walks into a room and spots me instantly hiding in the far corner under a pipe I go :raise:

Do be aware that if you look at your mouth/skin/teeth/arms and you see weird glowing, pulsing lines, that means you've been pinged/you're in range of an observatory and the marines know exactly where you are.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

Oh, there's no "kind of" about it. They need to have a good think about their policy towards mods, because as far as I see it there will always be a trade-off between customisability and ensuring a level playing field.

Maybe "developer approved" tag that UW can give mods they approve of, and servers can choose to allow any mods or just approved ones.

Brackhar posted:

Man, I really really hate NS2_Veil. The double res node placements just don't work at all as well here as they did in NS1, and the game really just devolves into who can successfully control double res. It's horrible, which is made doubly worse by it being one of my favorite NS1 maps. :smith:

This is a map that really needs more res points than just double and the hives. If you start at Cargo it's a huge pain in the arse to spread to Pipe or Sub. Its marginally better that a Sub hive can try for Overlook and a Pipe hive can try for C-12, but there honestly needs to be a res node near Waypointing or The Dome or something.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 19, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AgentF posted:

Oh, there's no "kind of" about it. They need to have a good think about their policy towards mods, because as far as I see it there will always be a trade-off between customisability and ensuring a level playing field.

Maybe "developer approved" tag that UW can give mods they approve of, and servers can choose to allow any mods or just approved ones.

Yeah, in the near future there definitely needs to be a server filter mode that ensures strict consistency. Customization is neat and I'm sure everyone wants gorges wearing Santa hats and whatnot, but that's what filters are for.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Exos are really just incredibly bad. Was just on a team where we killed 2 alien hives at the same time and were up 2 to 1. We spent the next 5 minutes kicking alien rear end and were probably about to win when our commander researches exos and drops 5 in base at the same time because he was swimming in res. 10 minutes later we had lost all of those exos and were down 3 to 1.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 19, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm glad this game is still the same way it was when I stopped playing beta: completely unbalanced in favor of the aliens.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What makes you say that? I haven't noticed any strong imbalances as of late.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

AgentF posted:

I have played 15 games today and marines have only won like 3 times. The only times they won was when aliens kept spending pres on things that aren't onos, or when marines rush the alien hive from a close spawn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AgentF posted:

Regeneration?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The regeneration change has to be the culprit. The Onos, Lerk and Fade already had really high survivability, and then they got a huge buff.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I wish they would have reversed the regen stuff before the weekend. At least the game is fun for the first 6 minutes until regen hits.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

wolfman101 posted:

Exos are really just incredibly bad. Was just on a team where we killed 2 alien hives at the same time and were up 2 to 1. We spent the next 5 minutes kicking alien rear end and were probably about to win when our commander researches exos and drops 5 in base at the same time because he was swimming in res. 10 minutes later we had lost all of those exos and were down 3 to 1.

Sounds like your team was just bad. Going exo is a tradeoff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't mind regen being overpowered. It makes it easier to see which bit of regen is too good. Is it the delay? Is it the regen rate?

Doing it incrementally makes it harder to really tell, I think.

It's still early. Obviously, balance will change as the game matures. Consider it a challenge to focus more on alpha damage instead of trying to chip away at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Is anybody else still having the issues where the server list never populates? I have yet to see it populate once, and I bought the game close to 2 weeks ago. I have tried manually connecting to servers from some of the sites that show them online, and I just get a connection error. I even downloaded the server list tool someone made, but that doesn't populate servers for me either. I see everything online is talking about it being an issue with Thomson routers, which are apparently British, but I'm American and I have a Cisco router, so I don't know what the poo poo to do. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

• Locked thread