Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I wasn't sure what you were getting at with this awesome piece of machinery, but then I realized, pink pants do not go with white tennis shoes. Good eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Shattered rear windshield? No problem, the tint and duct tape will hold it together.

:psyboom:

I've had a rear windshield shatter like that. If I'd had duct tape you bet your rear end I'd have covered it in tape. It crumbles apart and gets EVERYWHERE.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
This is from Honey Boo Boo isn't it?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

I think he is referring to his inability to leave enough of a gap between himself and the car in front of him to escape if the car in front dies. That's the terrible part.

I saw that happen to someone yesterday, basically on top of the car infront of him, then the 1st car stalled out so the guy behind had to reverse in traffic to move out of the way.

If it has been posted already apologies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

These own so hard.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Viggen posted:

Couldn't get a picture of it in time, but it was an old Jetta that someone appeared to use a putty knife to scrape their hood down to the metal. It is really difficult to describe just how bad it looked.

Is that how you prep VW's for that rust look? I want to see what they look like after the paint is gone but before that ridiculous patina stage.

Also, do you suppose that X6 is just a vinyl wrap? I just can't believe something that recent and expensive would be rattle canned in those colors, and we keep seeing more wraps lately.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

davebo posted:

Is that how you prep VW's for that rust look? I want to see what they look like after the paint is gone but before that ridiculous patina stage.

I don't think it is common to use a putty knife (he either used that or a dremel with an oversized stone grinder - and is a heroin addict). It really looked godawful.

I've heard of various stripping methods, but never seen anything gouged this badly that wasn't in an accident - it was the metal equivalent of using a pry bar on soft plastic.

I had never felt the urge to follow someone and ask if they wanted help pissing on their hood (rusts faster) before seeing how awful this looked with shiny metal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aircraft Remover, motherfuckers. If they're going to ruin their cars with a fake patina, at least they could do it right.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

b0nes posted:

I saw that happen to someone yesterday, basically on top of the car infront of him, then the 1st car stalled out so the guy behind had to reverse in traffic to move out of the way.

Rolling tinnitus

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I didn't know this before, but VWs have 17mm lug nuts. What is wrong with these people? Why would you put such small nuts on the wheels of a car?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

I didn't know this before, but VWs have 17mm lug nuts. What is wrong with these people? Why would you put such small nuts on the wheels of a car?

Well, they're actually lug bolts, so the nut size is irrelevant. Plus as far as I know, all the German companies use them.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
That explains why my neighbor was having such as a hard time getting them off his girlfriend's jetta. I'm sure the design works great when people rotate their wheels regularly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To be fair that could be said about a lot of things on cars.

Also, they're a pain in the dick to line up in the best of circumstances. I had to do a rotation on one of my coworkers' Mk IV GTI a while back. He's missing the screws that hold the rotors in place on the hubs, so due to the lag of wheel studs they can spin independently. You have to line them up, then keep them in place while you put the wheel on (again, no small feat with no studs to hang it from) and try to stick a bolt through all 3 holes and thread it in without bumping something out of place. One of the front wheels also has a spacer, so that brings it to 4 independently rotating pieces of metal to line up. :suicide:

Gimme a Super Duty with gigantor hubs and 8 studs any day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never really had a problem with that when I work on VWs/Audis, I just use an extension bar and a socket to hold the lug bolt, gives a little more leverage to line it up and carefully get the threads started.

Another thing you can do is take the appropriate threaded bolt about 50-60mm long, cut the head off, grind a pair of flats into it, and thread it into one hole. Then hang your brake rotor, spacer, wheel etc on it. Put the other lug bolts in, remove headless bolt (either by hand or with vise grips on the flats if necessary) and torque everything down. I use this method on Saginaw style steering boxes on SUVs/trucks every time now because it's so much easier to get the other 2-3 bolts started when there's an alignment peg in the first hole.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Giblet Plus! posted:

That explains why my neighbor was having such as a hard time getting them off his girlfriend's jetta. I'm sure the design works great when people rotate their wheels regularly.

Ze germans expect you to follow the maintenance procedures! No issues with my 17mm lug bolts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Giblet Plus! posted:

You realize they used these same 17mm lug bolts on the Audi group B cars? I think they work just fine.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Saab, Volvo, and some Saturns use lug bolts as well. At least Saab (and I think Volvo) were nice enough to make them 19mm.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bang Me Please posted:

VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Saab, Volvo, and some Saturns use lug bolts as well. At least Saab (and I think Volvo) were nice enough to make them 19mm.

Volvo also puts a nice little spike on the hub to line the wheel up while you put the bolts in.

Sweden. :allears:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Lug bolts can lick my nuts. I plan on getting aftermarket lug studs for my M3 so I don't have to loving balance a wheel on a tiny lip while trying to get the first bolt in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Passenger car tires/rims are light as hell... just hold it up and put the bolts in? No reason to try and balance it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Passenger car tires/rims are light as hell... just hold it up and put the bolts in? No reason to try and balance it.

I had to help someone mount his 19" competition package BBS M3 wheels with lug bolts and it sucked even with two people.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I would hate to have to do that with my ~80lb wheels.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Try putting Unilug wheels on a car. They were made by Cragar. I had them on my Rambler. The wheels had an elongated hole to allow for 5 on 4.5", 4.75" and 5" bolt patterns. You used an off-center washer for the 4.5" and 5" patterns, and a centered washer for 4.75".

They are the loving worst. It takes literally 45 minutes to get a wheel on.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Try putting Unilug wheels on a car. They were made by Cragar. I had them on my Rambler. The wheels had an elongated hole to allow for 5 on 4.5", 4.75" and 5" bolt patterns. You used an off-center washer for the 4.5" and 5" patterns, and a centered washer for 4.75".

They are the loving worst. It takes literally 45 minutes to get a wheel on.

Thinking back on that part of your thread, I think I'd have to stick the washers to either the wheels or hub in the correct orientation with some fun tack or something. What a terrible idea.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BoostCreep posted:

I had to help someone mount his 19" competition package BBS M3 wheels with lug bolts and it sucked even with two people.

I usually sit down, put the wheel on my toes, and raise the wheel up enough with my toes to get it to line up a top lug, then shove the wheel against the hub, and put in a bottom lug.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

I usually sit down, put the wheel on my toes, and raise the wheel up enough with my toes to get it to line up a top lug, then shove the wheel against the hub, and put in a bottom lug.

With my 18" ZHP wheels I had to get it on the lip (a whopping 5mm) with 2 hands, then use my foot to hold the bottom of the wheel in while one hand held the top. Used the remaining hand to thread in a lug. Those wheels weighed were heavy as hell too.

The wheel is pretty much actively working against you, I've never had one that would actually stay in place without having to at least push on the bottom of the wheel. This is why you can buy conversion kits, it gets REALLY tedious when you have to deal with changing wheels twice a day for track/slalom events.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

b0nes posted:

This eyesore was rolling down I-4 in Orlando yesterday on the back of a flatbed followed closely by a 2nd flatbed carrying a light blue BMW X5 with equally monstrous wheels. I couldn't get a picture. When I saw this link I came here and saw somebody beat me to it.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

The Antipop posted:

This eyesore was rolling down I-4 in Orlando yesterday on the back of a flatbed followed closely by a 2nd flatbed carrying a light blue BMW X5 with equally monstrous wheels. I couldn't get a picture. When I saw this link I came here and saw somebody beat me to it.

The only decent thing about this is the engine, the rest is scrap metal. I didn't even know ZL1's came in automatic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm going to be honest, it looks like the most bitching hot wheels ever. Dumb hot wheels just don't scale up well. And didn't have rad toy loop tracks and stuff.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Well now, if tractors count...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Sorry, owns.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Tractors are famous for their brown sound

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Some terrible stuff is going to happen to that Taurus'es transmission if he keeps that up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't think much of the gold Camaro until I happened to read that it's actually a ZL1, you know, the special one with all the functional underbody aero, magnetic suspension, track oriented trans and diff coolers and supercharged engine.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

The VW recovery tool bag comes with a long plastic wheel stud that you screw in to one of the lug holes. It lets you align the wheel on the car, and then put in some of the real lug bolts and take the plastic bit out for the last bolt.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
1. Harder to perform regular maintenance on
2. Not superior to less "engineered" vehicles' solution
3. Different from everything else

Yep, it's German :v:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Oh please, my car has 17mm lug bolts and I didn't even realize that people complaining about it being a pain in the rear end was a thing until this thread.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Right mow.
Hey!
It's your tomorrow.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Crustashio posted:

Lug bolts can lick my nuts. I plan on getting aftermarket lug studs for my M3 so I don't have to loving balance a wheel on a tiny lip while trying to get the first bolt in.

My Audi's wheels just slotted over the hub centre, then rotate until the holes line up...

It was even a bitch getting the winter wheels off for summer, had to take a mallet to the tire to get them to budge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The BMW toolkit in the trunk should have a metal rod with a plastic end that goes in the hub to use as an alignment/hanger stud when changing your wheels.

Personally I just bought the VAC 90mm stud kit for my E30 since it took my 20m wheel change time down to about 5m at the AutoX course :smug: