Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If there were pre-2006 used Insights available like anywhere without some horrible thing wrong with them I would have gotten one of those OK :colbert:

This is the only group of people I've encountered so far that is down on them, especially given the paramaters that I rather expect to spend some money to maintain/fix it since it was only $5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000 Canadian
New or Used: New/CPO/Recently Used
Body Style: Coupe, 4 door Hatch, 4 door Sedan (maybe)
How will you be using the car?: Daily Driving and occasional road trips
What aspects are most important to you?: comfort (ie. power seats), fun to drive, fuel economy.
Currently comparing: Kia Forte Koup, Mazda3 Sport (GS-Skyactive or GT), Dodge Dart Limited, Focus Titanium 5-door hatch, Hyundai Elantra (GT SE or Coupe), Honda CR-Z

I know I haven't exactly narrowed my list down but all of these cars catch my eye (at least on their websites). I currently have a 2006 G35 as my summer car (originally an Arizona car, summer tires, 50,000 miles on the odometer, never been winter driven) and a 1993 Acura Legend as my winter car. Unfortunately the Acura seems to have some electrical gremlins that have the potential to cost far more to fix than the car is realistically worth. Plus having two cars is becoming sort of an annoyance: finding somewhere to park one, switching insurance, etc.

While my Acura is in the shop I had to rent a car and I ended up getting a Mazda3. It's surprised me how fun the car is to drive (the Acura feels like a boat sometimes and the G35 is twitchy as hell) and it got me thinking that I should sell both cars and find a nice fun compact/mid-size as an all year driver.

Being 5'1" power seats are pretty much a must have, the only thing that bothers me about my rental is the seats are really uncomfortable, and i'm not sure either the Kia or the Mazda comes with power seats as even an option. I thought before I get too worked up about all of these cars i'd post here and see if there are a couple I should take off the list entirely or one model that should be on the list that isn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Boten Anna posted:

If there were pre-2006 used Insights available like anywhere without some horrible thing wrong with them I would have gotten one of those OK :colbert:

This is the only group of people I've encountered so far that is down on them, especially given the paramaters that I rather expect to spend some money to maintain/fix it since it was only $5k.

This is probably also the most car-knowledgeable group of people that you've encountered, as well.

If you budget like 2000/year for maint and repairs that's probably realistic. Enjoy the car - they're good cars, just terribly unreliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000 Canadian
New or Used: New/CPO/Recently Used
Body Style: Coupe, 4 door Hatch, 4 door Sedan (maybe)
How will you be using the car?: Daily Driving and occasional road trips
What aspects are most important to you?: comfort (ie. power seats), fun to drive, fuel economy.
Currently comparing: Kia Forte Koup, Mazda3 Sport (GS-Skyactive or GT), Dodge Dart Limited, Focus Titanium 5-door hatch, Hyundai Elantra (GT SE or Coupe), Honda CR-Z

I know I haven't exactly narrowed my list down but all of these cars catch my eye (at least on their websites). I currently have a 2006 G35 as my summer car (originally an Arizona car, summer tires, 50,000 miles on the odometer, never been winter driven) and a 1993 Acura Legend as my winter car. Unfortunately the Acura seems to have some electrical gremlins that have the potential to cost far more to fix than the car is realistically worth. Plus having two cars is becoming sort of an annoyance: finding somewhere to park one, switching insurance, etc.

While my Acura is in the shop I had to rent a car and I ended up getting a Mazda3. It's surprised me how fun the car is to drive (the Acura feels like a boat sometimes and the G35 is twitchy as hell) and it got me thinking that I should sell both cars and find a nice fun compact/mid-size as an all year driver.

Being 5'1" power seats are pretty much a must have, the only thing that bothers me about my rental is the seats are really uncomfortable, and i'm not sure either the Kia or the Mazda comes with power seats as even an option. I thought before I get too worked up about all of these cars i'd post here and see if there are a couple I should take off the list entirely or one model that should be on the list that isn't.

Any reason you're not targeting Focus ST/VW GTI/Mazdaspeed3? Are those too expensive in Canada?

I don't really think "fun to drive" when I think base-ish compacts, though the Focus and Mazda3 are pretty good drives. At least in the US, the Titanium is actually more expensive than the ST1 which is a complete no brainer to me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well you can probably drop the Forte from your list unless you want to save money more than buy a car, because that car is like 6 years old and I think they are replacing it next year. Also I don't understand for what possible reason you would want to buy a CRZ, You know it's a 2 seater, right? Why not buy a Miata?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Subarus seem to have bizzare problems with rust in snowy climates. I've heard of similar problems with Mazda3s, Never heard of the same issue with Legacys or Mazda6es so I wonder if it's some kind of problem with the Japanese paint shop.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332575/new-wrx-from-calgary-subaru-rusting/

And Calgary doesn't even use salt on the roads very much, not like ON or QC.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 20, 2012

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any reason you're not targeting Focus ST/VW GTI/Mazdaspeed3? Are those too expensive in Canada?

I don't really think "fun to drive" when I think base-ish compacts, though the Focus and Mazda3 are pretty good drives. At least in the US, the Titanium is actually more expensive than the ST1 which is a complete no brainer to me.

Oh I probably should've specified that I don't want a manual so that rules out the Mazdaspeed3, the Focus ST. I hadn't though about a Golf for some reason even though i'm a fan of their looks. Is the GTI's auto any good? How are the new VW's on reliability?

Throatwarbler posted:

Well you can probably drop the Forte from your list unless you want to save money more than buy a car, because that car is like 6 years old and I think they are replacing it next year. Also I don't understand for what possible reason you would want to buy a CRZ, You know it's a 2 seater, right? Why not buy a Miata?

I had no idea the CRZ was a two seater, so I guess scratch that one. And I didn't know the Forte was due for a model refresh/replacement so soon.

Would looking at cars a couple years older be a better idea for what I want?

Calgary doesn't use much salt, which is a good an bad thing since your car doesn't get terminal cancer but it makes the roads fun after a chinook blows through and thaws everything just enough for it to freeze again a couple days later.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 20, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MakaVillian posted:

Oh I probably should've specified that I don't want a manual so that rules out the Mazdaspeed3, the Focus ST. I hadn't though about a Golf for some reason even though i'm a fan of their looks. Is the GTI's auto any good? How are the new VW's on reliability?

I had no idea the CRZ was a two seater, so I guess scratch that one. And I didn't know the Forte was due for a model refresh/replacement so soon.

Would looking at cars a couple years older be a better idea for what I want?

Calgary doesn't use much salt, which is a good an bad thing since your car doesn't get terminal cancer but it makes the roads fun after a chinook blows through and thaws everything just enough for it to freeze again a couple days later.

Here I found your car.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2010-Cadillac-CTS-3-6L-W0QQAdIdZ407284135

It's AWD so not twitchy in the winter, automatic, has memory seats, "fun", go haggle them down to $27k.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Here I found your car.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2010-Cadillac-CTS-3-6L-W0QQAdIdZ407284135

It's AWD so not twitchy in the winter, automatic, has memory seats, "fun", go haggle them down to $27k.

Nice, thanks. My dad would love if I got a Cadillac.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Safe and Secure! posted:

How much does it cost to own a car, taking into consideration costs like maintenance, insurance, etc.?

Are you asking in terms of rock bottom costs, or average, or what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

the GTI auto is one of the better automatic transmissions you can get in a hot hatch, and VW reliability is up but is still probably a bit below average. The current gen GTI has been quite reliable to date.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Recycle Bin posted:

I'm told Honda Civics are one of the most stolen cars in Los Angeles, so we want to avoid those if possible.

Honda Civics are one of the most stolen cars in Los Angeles because Honda Civics are one of the most driven cars in Los Angeles. If there is a parking lot with more than 20 cars in it, at least one of those cars will be a Civic.

You should steal it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Proposed Budget: Up to $5K? Can go higher if appropriate
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Flexible (see below)
How will you be using the car? I have a college graduate who doesn't have a job yet. Said graduate is newly licensed to drive, and is thoroughly enjoying freedom. This leaves the normal driver of the 2nd car (me) stranded at home occasionally, which when graduate gets a job will be a real problem.

So. I'm thinking of getting a used car for the kid. The goals are safety, drivability, and hauling household stuff around (as in, you can stuff in moderate-sized Ikea boxes when necessary.) The kid can't drive stick and is currently driving my 2003 Scion XB, which I am not passing on because (A) I love it (B) underpowered for highway driving (C) lousy in side-impact tests. I will obviously consult the kid on details, but what car makes/models would you recommend in that price range? Should I go substantially higher to get a safe, reliable car?

We live in the Bay Area part of California, so used cars don't generally have serious rust problems. The biggest concern is handling slick highways in rain and merging on to highways. There's a lot of stop-and-start driving.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety, cost of ownership/maintenance (including gas mileage), reliability.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Proposed Budget: Up to $5K? Can go higher if appropriate
Body Style: Flexible (see below)
How will you be using the car? I have a college graduate who doesn't have a job yet. Said graduate is newly licensed to drive, and is thoroughly enjoying freedom. This leaves the normal driver of the 2nd car (me) stranded at home occasionally, which when graduate gets a job will be a real problem.

So. I'm thinking of getting a used car for the kid. The goals are safety, drivability, and hauling household stuff around (as in, you can stuff in moderate-sized Ikea boxes when necessary.) The kid can't drive stick and is currently driving my 2003 Scion XB, which I am not passing on because (A) I love it (B) underpowered for highway driving (C) lousy in side-impact tests. I will obviously consult the kid on details, but what car makes/models would you recommend in that price range? Should I go substantially higher to get a safe, reliable car?

We live in the Bay Area part of California, so used cars don't generally have serious rust problems. The biggest concern is handling slick highways in rain and merging on to highways. There's a lot of stop-and-start driving.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety, cost of ownership/maintenance (including gas mileage), reliability.

If a scion xb is underpowered, that is setting a fairly high bar. Not that the scion is fast or quick, but anything $5k or less with side impact airbags (which you nneed for good side crash scores), is not exactly going to be fast.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You could probably get into a 2006-ish Ford Five Hundred with high mileage for around that money, they're a platform mate of the Volvo S80 and an IIHS top pick back in its day, when it actually meant something. Don't get the one with the CVT. Other than the CVT these things didn't really have any huge systemic reliability issues but the build quality isn't great. You can take a chance and buy a cheap, high mileage model for less money up front, if you're prepared to spend a bit of money on maintenance.

Considering that he's a young new driver, there's a good chance that he's going to crash it into something in short order, so a high mileage unit might be a pretty good idea. Look for one with cosmetic flaws/body dings tand try to get the price down.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 22, 2012

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love driving the Scion, but it reminds me a lot of the 1960s VW Camper I learned to drive on: when you're driving uphill against a headwind, you look like a motorized Marcel Marceau. Note that I have the first model year, the one with the 1.3 liter engine that was notoriously underpowered.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Another thing, I don't know how insurance works where you are but it's usually a big expense for a young new driver, and as far as car models go an anonymous full size grandma Ford is probably the best possible car to insure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I hadn't even thought about insurance costs; good point. I also realized I'd forgotten a crucial point: the kid is actually a daughter, and is short (5'3"). A car that's suitable for a smaller driver (seat can be moved close to the pedals, windshield goes down low so you can see over the hood) would be ideal. If we go on up to $7K, does that expand the options?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, a lot. Especially here in the bay area, where prices on used cars are a bit higher than elsewhere.

I think the main thing is, put your kid in a newer rather than older car. Safety standards are raised every few years, so a car from 1990 with a very good rating would get a very poor rating (or fail to qualify at all) by new-cars-today standards.

Unfortunately this means you cannot really compare safety standard ratings across large age gaps.

But I agree with Throatwarbler on the idea of getting a car made in the mid-2000s or better. Something with good visibility, good crumple zones, and (since you want an automatic) a really reliable automatic transmission.

I might be thinking like a Nissan Versa hatchback? Edmunds gives the 2007 model excellent reliability ratings, NHTSA is 4-5 star safety ratings, IIHS is "good" for all three tests, and it was available in a 1.8L automatic. It has dual front and side airbags standard too. Visibility is good out of a hatchback and they're good for your hauling trips.

I found one immediately for $8k with 103k on the clock (so it should be good for at least another 100k to 150k miles). I think that one is in really nice condition so if you look around for a more dinged-up example you should be able to get under your $7k mark.

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008

GrapeSoda posted:

Proposed Budget:
$20,000ish new. $10,000ish used
New or Used:
New or used
Body Style:
Compact hatchback, maybe a sedan/coup if it's a good deal.
How will you be using the car?:
Daily commuter, occasional trip over Snoqualmie Pass to the parents, carrying road bikes and gear (hatchback).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?:
Yes, I want a comfortable ride, sun roof, keyless entry. Navigation or touch screens aren't important.
What aspects are most important to you?:
Comfort, low road/wind noise, reliability, mpg.

Graduated college last year and got my first real job but I'm still driving my college car, a 2004 Kia Rio base (no A/C, manual, no tachometer, no power steering, power nothing, cheap as hell) I picked up for cheap because it was a salvage. I'm getting tired of fighting Seattle traffic with a manual, sputtering up hills, and the overall uncomfortableness of the car. The one plus is that it's incredibly easy to work on it, but I don't have a garage anymore and my apartment prohibits working on cars on the premises.

I'm looking for something comfortable, something to make me enjoy my morning commute. As far as looks, I don't like the bloated look of most modern cars. But it seems the only cars that aren't like at are the BMWs and the like, which I don't think I can afford maintenance wise right now. I know a lot of people recommend the Mazda 3, but I can't get past the stupid smirk on its face the last couple years.

I was looking at getting a used Volvo S40/60/80 from about 2007 or so because I love the look, but I'm worried about the maintenance costs and reliability of them.

The new cars I'm looking at:
Kia Forte 5 door SX
Volkswagen Golf
Ford Focus 5 door Titanium

I know nobody responded but I ended up going for a 2013 Mazda 3i Grand Touring. The test drive was just too much fun compared to the others.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Right, maybe this time I won't be probated.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't know poo poo about cars and I'm gonna try buying new(ish).

I'm buying new(ish) because I don't know poo poo about cars, and the last two cars I've had were used cars I bought from the owners, and they both sucked in their own special ways.

The Mazda MX3 I have right now is currently dying, I try going uphill with it and I smell smoke and can't get over 80km/h, and according to my mechanic the only way to fix that problem would be to replace the engine and transmission, either one of which would cost twice what the car cost me to buy. So I need a new car before this one dies on me, which would likely happen while I'm on the highway going uphill. I thought about looking around the classifieds for another cheap used, only thing is I've got just $600 I can afford to part with, and nobody is selling that low, at least not publicly. That and I'm pretty sure any car I do find at that price isn't gonna last longer than a year if I take really, really good care of it. (which isn't likely, since I don't know poo poo about cars)

So that leaves me looking at new(ish) cars with a dirtcheap downpayment and monthly plan. I hit up a couple of dealerships, namely the Ford, Honda and Kia that are close by, and ask around if they have anything that I could buy with a $600 downpayment and $200 per month plan. They showed me some cars within that range, typical stuff like a Civic, a Fit, a Fiesta. Most of them are 60 months or longer to pay off, which isn't what I wanted, so while looking over Honda's stock I asked if they had wholesale cars, trade-ins, backlot stuff I could look at. Used, yes, but newer than '05 and seen to by a mechanic, and with warranty, so they're basically new.

I found two cars that I think are worth thinking about. One's an '06 Honda Civic (I think he called it a gogo?) that's in pretty good condition, got 220K km on it and was quoted at $4600, so with $600 down and $192 per month it would take 24 months to pay off. I'd have gone with that in an instant... only it's a stick shift, and while I know how to drive stick, I don't know how to drive stick. I test drove it just to make sure, and I could shift gears without stalling, but I dropped into neutral twice and shifted from first to fourth once. It was after 5pm so it was pretty dark out, and I'm not too keen to learn how to drive stick in the dark, which would be pretty much the only times I would drive since I work till 5:30 and later. The other car he showed me was an '08 Ford Malibu. 143K km, automatic so I don't have to learn how to drive it, in great condition, and comes with winter and sumer tires (the Civic just had one set of winters). I don't remember the price he quoted me, but he did say with $600 down and $185 per month it would take 40 months to pay off, which is about $7400. Kinda expensive, almost as much as what they quoted some of the cheaper new cars at.

So... those are my options, a Civic I can afford but can't drive, a Malibu I can drive but can only just afford, and a couple of other dealers who I still need to talk to.

What the hell am I doing?
Should I learn stick and buy the Civic?
Should I try going for the Malibu which I'll be paying off for over three years?
Should I roll the dice and look for another car at the other dealers?
Should I get more info?
Any thoughts?

So, to update, it's a '08 Chevrolet Malibu that I'm currently interested in, not a Ford like I thought it was, and a '06 Honda Civic that I can fall back on if the Malibu turns out to be a rotten deal. I don't think it is, though, as I test drove it yesterday and it was smooth as hell, like, drat it was smooth, steering was tight, brakes worked great at the slightest tap, I felt right at home driving it around. If you told me it was a used car, I wouldn't believe you. I still don't have a history for either vehicle yet, but since Kia didn't have anything in my range and the guy at Ford left me waiting for an hour to say pretty much the same thing, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go for one of these two cars.

I'm getting my credit application going through now, but I haven't signed anything so I can still back out and shop around some more.

So, is $600 down and $185 for 48 months a good deal for an '08 Chevrolet Malibu? (remember it has both summer and winter tires included) Or should I smarten up and pay $600 down and $192 for 24 months on the '06 Honda Civic? (that I don't really know how to drive and don't have the time to learn)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm in Canada, so the prices aren't strictly 1:1 with whatever they charge down south.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 24, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1. Buy something else, anything else, than an 08 Chevy Malibu.
2. Stop shopping the payments - shop the car price and interest rate you can get.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bovril Delight posted:

And why is that, pray tell, noted VW apologist Bovril Delight?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm sure you could find a neglected Mk4 GTI in that price budget that will not only break your wallet, but also your heart and spirit.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bovril Delight posted:

2. Stop shopping the payments - shop the car price and interest rate you can get.

What's wrong with the Malibu? I've been looking around and so far the biggest complaints I've seen were the brakes wearing out too easily and steering shaft problems, otherwise it seems fine. Is there something specific I should be aware of?

And the price was $7800.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I scoffed at Bovril Delight when he questioned the reliability of the new Subaru/Toyota sports car. A VW owner worried about the reliability of a Subaru -Toyota joint venture car? Pretty rich.

Turns out he was right. :negative:

Seriously though he's probably thinking of the pre-2008 generation Malibu which wasn't a great car. The 2008+ model is maybe not top of its segment but still pretty respectable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The biggest concern is handling slick highways in rain and merging on to highways.

For what it's worth - this is far more dependent on tires than anything else.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Budget: 20,000
New or Used: Not sure
Body Style: Not sure, should fit 5 people, no SUVs or other large vehicles
How will I be using the car: Trips for groceries and shopping, errands, some longer trips to the country planned, but usually less than 50 miles per week, no commuting
What aspects are most important to me:
1. Safety
2. MPG
3. Reliability

I am 25 years old and I'm taking my road test in early December. I don't know anything about cars, but it would be good to have one for errands and being able to get out of town for longer trips. I am going to college for prerequisites and then graduate school and should be finished in spring 2016, and afterwards I'd like to move all the way to California sometime in 2016-2018. I do not plan on taking the car with me when I move, but that is some time away. Sell value is somewhat of a concern for me, but not much.

The only gadget I think that I need is GPS, but I will buy an aftermarket one, anyway. I don't really know if I should be looking for anything else, though. I don't know what is a "good" engine vs. a "bad" one, and why I should pay several thousand more for a better one. I don't know what kind of gadgets are good to have, either.

I'm currently leaning towards the Kia Soul. Good safety ratings, within my budget, and decent MPG, though I'd like something better on gas.

I've heard that the new car smell is carcinogenic, and after dealing with cancer in the family and for other reasons, I try to avoid chemicals and unnecessary exposure to carcinogenic or other potentially hazardous toxins. But I'm not sure if I should be too concerned about it and whether I should buy used or new.

Given my rather limited use of the car, should I buy or lease? I do not need to take out a loan to buy the car, so there would be no interest if I buy. And I may be moving in about 3 years, so the sell value of the car, I'm assuming, will be decent in that amount of time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're only doing 50 miles a week, that's 2600 miles a year. Don't give as much of a poo poo about fuel economy - a 1 mpg gain is worth all of sixteen bucks a year to you.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
What high-clearance 4WD vehicle has the best gas mileage? I'd like to get something to get me down dirt, mud, and rocky roads. If I could put a lift kit and offroad tires on a Honda Civic I would, but if that's not possible what is the next best option?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Subaru XV Crosstrek thingamajig is an Impreza with more ground clearance and the CVT gets about 33 highway MPG, which is about as good as it gets for anything with any dirt capability. With the stick it gets 30 highway. The stick AWD system is much better than the Lineartronic CVT's system, so if you are really using the capability on rough stuff (rougher than logging trails) then stick is a much better bet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Jeep Patriot with the low range gears gets 21mpg combined.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bread Zeppelin posted:

What high-clearance 4WD vehicle has the best gas mileage? I'd like to get something to get me down dirt, mud, and rocky roads. If I could put a lift kit and offroad tires on a Honda Civic I would, but if that's not possible what is the next best option?

Are you looking at new or used or both?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

booseek posted:

Given my rather limited use of the car, should I buy or lease? I do not need to take out a loan to buy the car, so there would be no interest if I buy. And I may be moving in about 3 years, so the sell value of the car, I'm assuming, will be decent in that amount of time.

You can get a pretty decent car for $20k and if you're paying in cash, don't fart away money leasing. Buy it so you have equity and a car worth something.

I am not a car expert but from looking around and being tempted by cars in that price range my personal choice if my budget was $20k is a Dodge Dart II, as they're surprisingly inexpensive and have some really cool tech in them while according to the reviews being pretty solid cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

You can get a pretty decent car for $20k and if you're paying in cash, don't fart away money leasing. Buy it so you have equity and a car worth something.

This is pretty silly! Don't listen to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha yeah, if you want to preserve your money the last thing you should do is buy a brand new car outright and ride the steepest part of the depreciation curve down before selling it in four years.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

kimbo305 posted:

Are you looking at new or used or both?

Used or new is fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kyoon. Subaru is really popular around here and few of my friends have them and really like them. It looks like it will have just enough ground clearance to get down the road that I need it to.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Budget: 5,000
Body Style: Wagon or small SUV
How will I be using the car: Moving for a job, hauling my stuff from mom's place in Richmond, VA to Charlotte, NC. Then for grocery runs and short (2-5 miles) drive to work if it's not biking/walking weather. Bonus if it can handle long road trips to upstate NY, as I will have to return to finish up some work for my dissertation and/or defense and to pick up the rest of my junk.
What aspects are most important to me: Automatic, reliability in so far as it needs to not poo poo the bed for a year or two while I continue living like a grad student and save up for a newer car.

I was thinking one of the Subarus, a V70, or an older CR-V. I'm sure there are more out there, though. What else I should be looking at?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jeep Cherokee's fit your criteria if mpg isn't important. Things will break during your ownership but parts are so loving cheap it won't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can someone recommend cars similar in class to the Audi TT? A friend of mine test drove one and said it felt way faster and lighter than his G37 IPL, which I guess can be chalked up to turbos making torque down low vs his screaming V6, as the TT is down almost 140 horsepower on the G37. I really dislike both how the TT looks and its spec sheet, but I've never driven one. Are they actually great cars? What should he cross shop it against?