Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Right mow.
Hey!
It's your tomorrow.

I can't drive fifty-five (on this lawnmower)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Fucknag posted:

Also, they're a pain in the dick to line up in the best of circumstances. I had to do a rotation on one of my coworkers' Mk IV GTI a while back. He's missing the screws that hold the rotors in place on the hubs, so due to the lag of wheel studs they can spin independently. You have to line them up, then keep them in place while you put the wheel on (again, no small feat with no studs to hang it from) and try to stick a bolt through all 3 holes and thread it in without bumping something out of place.

The trick with that, as I've learnt with both my old VWs, is to wait for the rotor to rust itself onto the hub so it can't rotate, and then fit the wheel. Works like a charm. :eng99:

I didn't realise how much of a bollocks wheel bolts were until I bought my Miata and had a :aaa: moment at how much easier studs are.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was reading the thought process behind lug bolts vs studs. Apparently lug bolts are less likely to come loose while driving like a lug nut with stud can. Lug bolts are self tightening.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Throatwarbler posted:

Some terrible stuff is going to happen to that Taurus'es transmission if he keeps that up.

Driving it? Yeah, that'll kill it. On the other hand, he's almost guaranteed to be on his second or third by now.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Some more photos of the A4 Avant "rat rod" popped up over on Audizine:

quote:

.....the car is from germany, not russia

the engine is from a Trabant

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I was reading the thought process behind lug bolts vs studs. Apparently lug bolts are less likely to come loose while driving like a lug nut with stud can. Lug bolts are self tightening.

The real problem I have with bolts is that it takes longer to change wheels in a race setting and the constant in-out in same setting can wear out hub threads. Hubs are a lot harder to change as opposed to extracting a worn out stud from a threaded hub.

Press-fit stud-hub guys are just hosed but they have at least have studs so the battle is mostly won.

jammyozzy posted:

The trick with that, as I've learnt with both my old VWs, is to wait for the rotor to rust itself onto the hub so it can't rotate, and then fit the wheel. Works like a charm. :eng99:

I didn't realise how much of a bollocks wheel bolts were until I bought my Miata and had a :aaa: moment at how much easier studs are.

The best thing about good bulletnose studs is zipping the nuts on with the cordless after you hang the wheel like a :frogc00l: race pro

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 20, 2012

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

DropShadow posted:

its beautiful because everything is so wrong that as a whole its right.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DropShadow posted:

I think we found the original. If we kill it, will all of the other lovely audi/vw rat rods die too?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DropShadow posted:

This is what vehicles in Fallout 4 will look like more than it's a rat rod.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

I think we found the original. If we kill it, will all of the other lovely audi/vw rat rods die too?

we can only hope.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Uh.. yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
dat bench.

Both of them.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, that's urban legend. I've had un-torqued lug bolts come undone on me. When tightened properly neither will come loose.

The real reason is that it makes the hub assembly cheaper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm seriously considering doing press in studs on my bug just because every one wants 3 bucks per loving lug bolt for 14x1.5 ball seats. Would mean I'd have to buy a 5th alloy for a spare though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

LloydDobler posted:

Nah, that's urban legend. I've had un-torqued lug bolts come undone on me. When tightened properly neither will come loose.

The real reason is that it makes the hub assembly cheaper.

Pretty sure American cars in the 50's had them as well. My opinion is that they torque down easier. My biggest problem with VW/AUDI in general concerning lug bolts is that they have those annoying loving plastic covers on them. When a customer comes in to get them re-torqued after service, it takes for ever to do something that should take literally no more than a min.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Boat posted:

Thinking back on that part of your thread, I think I'd have to stick the washers to either the wheels or hub in the correct orientation with some fun tack or something. What a terrible idea.

I got so frustrated once, I though about having a welder fill the holes, then having a machine shop drill 5 new holes. Then I realized they were a $100 set of wheels and ...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

When a customer comes in to get them re-torqued after service

Wait....what?

You have customer that LISTEN TO YOU?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I got so frustrated once, I though about having a welder fill the holes, then having a machine shop drill 5 new holes. Then I realized they were a $100 set of wheels and ...

sold them to some other poor sucker for $200 and got another set of better $100 wheels?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SS Aztek woo!!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

DropShadow posted:

lol this car owns so hard

I love the steering wheel

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

aventari posted:

lol this car owns so hard

I love the steering wheel

Agreed. The passenger seat is a swing on wooden posts.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Is that stupid pedobear thing poking out of one of the windows too?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think I know the owner of that car, where'd you see it?

I know someone I know has something gay like that. (shocking I know)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tusen Takk posted:

I know someone I know has something gay like that.

Really?

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Tusen Takk posted:

Sterling Heights

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Tusen Takk posted:

Never stop.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yes perhaps he should have written "I'm sure someone I know has something gay like that" but for christ sake...

Goons... :cripes:

Let's go back to doing something less gay like discussing studs and nuts :iamafag:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Beach Bum posted:

Let's go back to doing something less gay like discussing studs and nuts :iamafag:

YEAHHHHHHHH

I've lived in a big city for a little over a year now, and since then, I've actually seen worse (better?) hellafrush fitments than this... but this is definitely a first. Skip to a minute in. Then, skip to 0:54 to get an idea of what riding in this car sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFKvk63Obec

I wonder if having your oil pan scrape away into the night is going to kill the hellaflush fad, like the sparkling brake pads killed rollerblades back in the 90s.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Abe Froman posted:

Sterling Heights

Haha I thought so, I'm over in Shelby.

edit: Excellent use of :10bux:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 21, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Porsche tool kits come with alignment studs that support the wheel like you get the lug bolts in. Too damned easy to nick the pain on the brake calipers, though, I'd much rather have studs.

So, he put a functional luggage rack on a beetle, that's.... oh.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 21, 2012

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

DropShadow posted:

I'm trying to put my finger on whats bugging me about this car. I think as far as the "rat" part of it goes, they did a pretty impressive job. They took a crappy shell and rigged the entire thing with total garbage to get something that moves for almost zero budget.
It bothers me less than the high dollar chromed and gloss "rat rods" that are actually a large budget build with fake rust on the body.

I guess its just that this car obviously isnt a "rod". It would be terrifiying at 10 mph, if it even gets that high. There was no thought to building a functioning car beyond moving under power, it seems from the photos.

The mad camber and the wood interior. :ughh:

Its interesting, would probably be a hit at any custom show, even as a gimmick.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I love that A4, especially when you see it as a troll on the "custom" motor world. It's powered by a two stroke Trabant engine and has wood seats. It's so horrible it's awesome. Not to mention he just used the shell of a burned up A4 to make it, if only all travesties could turn into cool looking rolling junk art.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

grover posted:

Porsche tool kits come with alignment studs that support the wheel like you get the lug bolts in. Too damned easy to nick the pain on the brake calipers, though, I'd much rather have studs.
So, he put a functional luggage rack on a beetle, that's.... oh.

More like: towel rack

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Texas has a cheeseburger plate? Seriously? God dammit :( I guess if you can't shake the stereotype, might as well own it :suicide:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Black88GTA posted:

Texas has a cheeseburger plate? Seriously? God dammit :( I guess if you can't shake the stereotype, might as well own it :suicide:

More like "Oh poo poo we broke as hell and we can't raise any taxes because of politics, please give us money to advertise your buisness!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Someone mentioned people trying to commit insurance fraud by throwing themselves on the hoods of cars. Here's a compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFZVIwW8kY

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

:911:

But I mean, hamburger license plate man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

djdanno13 posted:

I love that A4, especially when you see it as a troll on the "custom" motor world. It's powered by a two stroke Trabant engine and has wood seats. It's so horrible it's awesome. Not to mention he just used the shell of a burned up A4 to make it, if only all travesties could turn into cool looking rolling junk art.

Yeah, it really is just a troll show car project. Seeing as it's from Germany, this thing wouldn't be allowed for a second on any public street (not that normal rat rods ever would be either). If you look at the license plate it has (in the right place, not the giant amount covering or replacing a fender), it's actually an old one from the former GDR. I'm not even sure if the motor can actually power the wheels, but even if it does, it would only ever be used to drive onto or off a trailer.