Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Had my first ever experiences with Scotch Ales this past week. Tried the Brewdog San Diego Scotch Ale, and their other, more run-of-the-mill, Scotch Ale: Dogma. San Diego was pretty drat tasty, easily my favourite Brewdog creation. Dogma was very sweet (to be expected really) but the honey flavour made it a bit too sweet for my tastes unfortunately. It just wasn't as well balanced as the San Diego. Any suggestions on other Scotch Ales to try?

As for English Strong Ales, I'm going to try the Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo with my dinner tomorrow. Anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Gunder posted:

As for English Strong Ales, I'm going to try the Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo with my dinner tomorrow. Anyone tried it?

It's been a month or two, but I remember it being pleasant. It did a nice job of incorporating the booziness of the high ABV and the oak from the wood without either being overbearing. Balanced for sure and a nice drink, but I'm not so sure it's worth the price ($12 for me) of entry. That said, I'm going to keep an eye out for it at my local Total Wine in case any are still laying around. Might've improved since then.

As for Scotch Ales, I'm a huge fan of Dirty Bastard by Founders and Old Chub by Oskar Blues if you can find them. Both good beers from breweries I've yet to be disappointed by. And if you haven't tried any yet, you might like ESBs if you're into Scotch ales for their maltiness and body-- preferably English, as American ESBs tend to overdo the hops.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 26, 2012

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'm not so sure it's worth the price ($12 for me) of entry.

I payed about half that for mine. I live in the UK though, so it's probably cheaper over here. I also got bottles of their Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout. About $4 Each.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Gunder posted:

I payed about half that for mine. I live in the UK though, so it's probably cheaper over here. I also got bottles of their Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout. About $4 Each.

:argh: Lucky bastard. Their usual fare is pretty cheap over here too, but this is the first limited/seasonal I've seen from them so I'll have to wait and see what happens to the price.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I finally tried Left Hand's Milk Stout that I've been ignoring for ages. Turns out I actually really liked it and want more similar to it. What should I be looking for?

Some people like Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout more, I think they are wrong. Lancaster makes a Milk Stout and it's okay. Honestly the only other similar beer I've liked a lot was Sam Adams Cream Stout. Oh and Terrapin makes one as a seasonal, but again it just doesn't compare to Left Hands imo.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Gunder posted:

Had my first ever experiences with Scotch Ales this past week. Tried the Brewdog San Diego Scotch Ale, and their other, more run-of-the-mill, Scotch Ale: Dogma. San Diego was pretty drat tasty, easily my favourite Brewdog creation. Dogma was very sweet (to be expected really) but the honey flavour made it a bit too sweet for my tastes unfortunately. It just wasn't as well balanced as the San Diego. Any suggestions on other Scotch Ales to try?

My favorite scotch is traquair house ale. It's a little pricey but its one of those beers that I always love.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Also out right now is Dark Horse Scotty Karate, if you can get a hold of it. It's a great smoky-ish take on a Scotch ale and has one of the best labels in the biz.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
So apparently Tyler's in Durham is having a Goose Island tap takeover tonight. Is GI finally going to start distributing in NC or is this a super-rare opportunity that won't come by again? Mainly asking because I've already spent my drinking money for the week but if this is the only chance I'll get to try them (aside from when my BCBS shows up from my beer trade buddy) then I will scrape some change together somehow and make it out there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Valencia posted:

So apparently Tyler's in Durham is having a Goose Island tap takeover tonight. Is GI finally going to start distributing in NC or is this a super-rare opportunity that won't come by again? Mainly asking because I've already spent my drinking money for the week but if this is the only chance I'll get to try them (aside from when my BCBS shows up from my beer trade buddy) then I will scrape some change together somehow and make it out there.

I think Goose announced that by the end of the month, they will be distributed in all 50 states, though I saw on their twitter feed that some states (TN) will be keg only for now. So take that for what you will, though I seriously doubt they'll have anything super rare available right now.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

I think Goose announced that by the end of the month, they will be distributed in all 50 states, though I saw on their twitter feed that some states (TN) will be keg only for now. So take that for what you will, though I seriously doubt they'll have anything super rare available right now.

Yeah, it's going to be in NC for good, so not just a one time thing. At first we're getting 312, IPA, Honkers, and Winter Mild, and those are the 4 that will be at Tyler's . I haven't seen any reference to bottles coming in, so NC may be one of the keg only states for now. They are supposed to be expanding their selection in NC after New Years.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

The Bunk posted:

Yeah, it's going to be in NC for good, so not just a one time thing. At first we're getting 312, IPA, Honkers, and Winter Mild, and those are the 4 that will be at Tyler's . I haven't seen any reference to bottles coming in, so NC may be one of the keg only states for now. They are supposed to be expanding their selection in NC after New Years.

Ah, good to know. Tyler's Twitter had pictures of the bottles as well, although that may have just been to show off the labels or something. Regardless, that's exciting news! I've been hoping to try them so I'm glad they're finally expanding over here.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Midorka posted:

Some people like Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout more, I think they are wrong. Lancaster makes a Milk Stout and it's okay. Honestly the only other similar beer I've liked a lot was Sam Adams Cream Stout. Oh and Terrapin makes one as a seasonal, but again it just doesn't compare to Left Hands imo.

Well Left Hand is easy to come by so I guess sticking with it is fine. I really should drink more stouts. Art of Darkness is getting hard to find around here, and it is my other favorite.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If this helps anyone beer pulse just posted about what states are getting the Goose Island BCS beers.
http://beerpulse.com/2012/11/what-states-will-get-goose-island-bourbon-county-cherry-rye-and-coffee-stout/

Yay, my buddy is holding one of each for me!

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Id like to get my hands on that coffee stout. I tried some coffee porter before at a bar but now I cant seem to find any.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChiTownEddie posted:

If this helps anyone beer pulse just posted about what states are getting the Goose Island BCS beers.
http://beerpulse.com/2012/11/what-states-will-get-goose-island-bourbon-county-cherry-rye-and-coffee-stout/

Yay, my buddy is holding one of each for me!

Cool NJ is getting them. I guess I should be ready for a huge price tag.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Cool NJ is getting them. I guess I should be ready for a huge price tag.

If you get the Cherry, you'd be pretty lucky. I don't know if I've ever seen a GI beer with more hype (accompanied by a very small production run, apparently). And the only reason I snagged a coffee was because I happened to be in line for a Black Friday event at a Binny's that had 6 cases (which sold out in about 10 minutes). In comparison, the same Binny's (next to GI, and probably their biggest single store for sales) got one case of Cherry. One.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Oh sweet, WI is actually getting Coffee this year. Hopefully I can snag a bottle.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

If you get the Cherry, you'd be pretty lucky. I don't know if I've ever seen a GI beer with more hype (accompanied by a very small production run, apparently). And the only reason I snagged a coffee was because I happened to be in line for a Black Friday event at a Binny's that had 6 cases (which sold out in about 10 minutes). In comparison, the same Binny's (next to GI, and probably their biggest single store for sales) got one case of Cherry. One.

It's also not worth the hype. Good beer, but not worth the insane trade value it's commanding right now.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

It's also not worth the hype. Good beer, but not worth the insane trade value it's commanding right now.

I love it and would be willing to pay a hefty mark-up for a bottle, but I concur that it seems a little out of hand right now.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

And to think a poster here helped create it! If my local store gets a case I'll be guaranteed a single, but that's if.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Well, Boulevard just posted their Smokestack plan for next year. Bad news= No Bourbon Barrel Quad this year, but it will be back next fall, and no Sour on the horizon.
Good news= More Rye on Rye and Imperial Stout is coming back.

http://www.boulevard.com/upcoming-releases-from-boulevard/

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I drove to 5 different beer stores in my city today and managed to get 10 bottles of BCBS. Two stores sold me a four pack and one store had a two bottle limit. I might go back tomorrow and buy two more :toot:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sublimer posted:

I drove to 5 different beer stores in my city today and managed to get 10 bottles of BCBS. Two stores sold me a four pack and one store had a two bottle limit. I might go back tomorrow and buy two more :toot:

Here in Chicago, I could walk into any number of random stores right now and buy regular BCBS right off the shelf without having to struggle. Even Binny's. I only don't because I've already bought a case.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Managed to find some Great Lakes Christmas Ale after some searching. A town of alcoholic college students makes it difficult to find good beer. I like the taste of it bottled better than on tap, it's less bitter. My friends have told me Great Lakes makes some quality products. Any suggestions on some others I can pick up? Or is everything they make generally pretty good?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Drythe posted:

Managed to find some Great Lakes Christmas Ale after some searching. A town of alcoholic college students makes it difficult to find good beer. I like the taste of it bottled better than on tap, it's less bitter. My friends have told me Great Lakes makes some quality products. Any suggestions on some others I can pick up? Or is everything they make generally pretty good?

Edmund Fitzgerald, Dortmunder Gold, and Elliot Ness are at the top of their respective styles (robust porter, Dortmunder lager, and Vienna lager) and are highly recommended.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

And yet somehow a hole in the wall liquor store in the Chicago suburbs managed to get two cases of Cherry Rye. Weird.

danbanana posted:

I love it and would be willing to pay a hefty mark-up for a bottle, but I concur that it seems a little out of hand right now.

If you're willing to pay $35 for a bottle, I'll give you the name of the place that had two cases on Friday. They might still have some at that price.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Drythe posted:

My girl (who used to live there) says to make sure you go to their brewpub because they usually have a few exclusives there you can't get in stores. From what she made me try while we were there I liked-to-loved pretty much everything.

Fake Edit: just realized you were in Columbus while writing this. Hope the info is still useful.

Real Edit: She also wants you to go to Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted and of course The Brew Kettle in Strongsville (I can attest to this being the coolest place / their beers are awesome).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bolt Cutter update:

Packing all this up I am remembering why I don't like trading all that much, its kind of a lot of work! Please excuse my random box sizes and packing material when you get your box. Also air-, I went a little overboard with the noise distractions.....

Look for a PM tonight with $$ quote.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Bolt Cutter update:

Packing all this up I am remembering why I don't like trading all that much, its kind of a lot of work! Please excuse my random box sizes and packing material when you get your box. Also air-, I went a little overboard with the noise distractions.....

Look for a PM tonight with $$ quote.

drat it, should have gotten in on this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So I am surprising my girlfriend for Christmas/New Year's and taking her to see Wicked in Tampa in January. While we are there, I plan on going to Cigar City and Peg's Cantina (hopefully Rare Dos will still be around). I am super excited, CCB is easily my favorite brewery and I have never been there despite living only a few hours away. Anyone have any other Tampa area suggestions on places for beer or food?

Anyone know what will be available at CCB around January 8th or 9th in terms of the seasonal/rare stuff?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

crazyfish posted:

Edmund Fitzgerald, Dortmunder Gold, and Elliot Ness are at the top of their respective styles (robust porter, Dortmunder lager, and Vienna lager) and are highly recommended.

I think I'm gonna pick up Elliot Ness tomorrow, it sounds pretty good.

fullroundaction posted:

My girl (who used to live there) says to make sure you go to their brewpub because they usually have a few exclusives there you can't get in stores. From what she made me try while we were there I liked-to-loved pretty much everything.

Fake Edit: just realized you were in Columbus while writing this. Hope the info is still useful.

Real Edit: She also wants you to go to Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted and of course The Brew Kettle in Strongsville (I can attest to this being the coolest place / their beers are awesome).

Thanks for that, I'll keep those in mind if I'm around those areas anytime. My home is actually fairly close to Cleveland so I might have a chance soon once I'm on break and see what I can find.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I finally tried FBS on tap tonight. To be honest, i prefer it in bottles, but I don't know if that's me or the brewpub I had it at. I also had their Nitro Coffee Porter, and it was definitely creamy, if not insanely sweet. I asked the bartender what they used to sweeten it, since I couldn't put a finger on it (it was almost a nectar sweetness) and all he said was cocoa nibs. There's something in there that was making it super sweet... I wonder what it was.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

swickles posted:

Anyone have any other Tampa area suggestions on places for beer or food?

Every time we're in Tampa, we try to make it to Tarpon Springs, the Greek sponge-fishing community a bit outside town. If you make it out there, you could do worse for food than Mykonos. It was recommended to us by my wife's at-the-time boss, who was from Greece and knew the owners. We've been faithful customers ever since -- though we get out that way only once every year or two.

This non-beer derail is sponsored by awesome Greek food.

On the beer front, I think I've leveled up in some way in my beer drinking. Even though I have beer in my fridge, I'm feeling inadequate because it's all beer I've had before, i.e. there are no new taste experiences waiting in my beer bottles. I feel the need to fix this.

I'm considering asking for a small fridge for the basement, for Christmas (to put, duh, beer in). My wife doesn't give me too much poo poo about my beer obsession but I'm guessing if I start keeping a whole secondary fridge stocked she might change her tune.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

swickles posted:

So I am surprising my girlfriend for Christmas/New Year's and taking her to see Wicked in Tampa in January. While we are there, I plan on going to Cigar City and Peg's Cantina (hopefully Rare Dos will still be around). I am super excited, CCB is easily my favorite brewery and I have never been there despite living only a few hours away. Anyone have any other Tampa area suggestions on places for beer or food?

Anyone know what will be available at CCB around January 8th or 9th in terms of the seasonal/rare stuff?

If you can make the trip, drive up to Dunedin and check out 7venth Sun and Dunedin brewery. Dunedin is just alright, but 7venth Sun is pretty great. They are about two minutes away from each other.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Shortbus posted:

No Bourbon Barrel Quad this year

I have four bottles of this in the back of my closet and I promised myself I wouldn't open one until I could do a vertical with this year's release. :sigh:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I have four bottles of this in the back of my closet and I promised myself I wouldn't open one until I could do a vertical with this year's release. :sigh:

Open one. I loved it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

danbanana posted:

Open one. I loved it.

I drank one fresh; that's why I grabbed the other four. I can wait, but I don't have to like it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I drank one fresh; that's why I grabbed the other four. I can wait, but I don't have to like it.

I sat on the one I got for about a year. I can't imagine it gets much better, but who knows...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Bart yelled at me to post in this here thread because I said I don't enjoy Christmas beers because they taste like super bitter Christmas trees. My friends would always get happy when they should start buying the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and I just never got it. Would anyone happen to have some suggestions for "Christmas" beers? I generally enjoy "Winter" beers (lagers), it's just a huge amount of hops that I don't like (not a big fan of super overly hopped IPA's either, even though I like floral ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I didn't like fresh BBQ; I thought it was too much bourbon, not enough quad. Wish I had bought one to age though.