Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anyone have the 11 inch Air? I'm thinking about a tiny machine for travel and writing and would love to know what people think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Bring a charger. Other than that, I have no complaints. If this thing got 7 hour battery life I don't see how it could get more perfect.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Does anyone have the 11 inch Air? I'm thinking about a tiny machine for travel and writing and would love to know what people think about it.

The only drawbacks are 4-5 hour battery life (which can be short compared to 7-8 hours) and 1366x768 screen.

If you're doing development work or Photoshop you'll miss the extra room but if you're just writing and surfing the web it's perfect, it's hard to beat the size of that thing.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bob Morales posted:

The only drawbacks are 4-5 hour battery life (which can be short compared to 7-8 hours) and 1366x768 screen.

If you're doing development work or Photoshop you'll miss the extra room but if you're just writing and surfing the web it's perfect, it's hard to beat the size of that thing.

Keyboard's kind of cramped.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

printf posted:

Keyboard's kind of cramped.

Same size as every other Mac keyboard except for the thinner function keys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I used one about an hour and couldn't stand the huge resolution. I came really close to buying it because otherwise it's such a cool machine. Ultimately I went with the 13 because of the longer battery life and the SD slot. It's handy to keep my iTunes library on an SD card.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Mu Zeta posted:

It's handy to keep my iTunes library on an SD card.

That's a good idea. Do you play your music from there or just use it as a backup? Is that better/worse/the same as using an SSD for playback?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Suqit posted:

That's a good idea. Do you play your music from there or just use it as a backup? Is that better/worse/the same as using an SSD for playback?

Frees up room on your SSD (can be important if you're on a 128GB or *gasp* 64GB version). But there aren't many 64GB 13" Airs out there.

You can always get one of these as well:

32GB USB Sandisk Cruz for $19.9, fits snug in the USB port and just barely sticks out, doesn't snag on stuff or fall out.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Bob Morales posted:

Frees up room on your SSD (can be important if you're on a 128GB or *gasp* 64GB version). But there aren't many 64GB 13" Airs out there.

32GB USB Sandisk Cruz for $19.9, fits snug in the USB port and just barely sticks out, doesn't snag on stuff or fall out.

Yeah I realize it frees up room. I just wonder if it works as seamlessly as using the SSD. Either way I need a 128 gb sd card so that won't work for me.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I always thought this was a convenient-looking Macbook Air storage solution: http://theniftyminidrive.com

Unfortunately, the 11-inch lacks the SD card slot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Suqit posted:

Yeah I realize it frees up room. I just wonder if it works as seamlessly as using the SSD. Either way I need a 128 gb sd card so that won't work for me.

As far as playback goes it's nearly seamless. You can even play HD movies from iTunes on it. It's only noticeably slow when you're adding new files to the SD. I bought an AmazonBasics 32gig SD card and it works fine.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2012

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Woah, I was checking out this thread because BestBuy has some open box 11" MBA for $700 including sales tax and I was thinking about heading back and snagging one, bad idea?

Is that 4-5 hour battery life under optimal conditions or is it a more realistic 3-4?

Now I'm worried a bit, it was mainly for writing, browsing and playing around with iOS development again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Is that 4-5 hour battery life under optimal conditions or is it a more realistic 3-4?
Depends on what you're doing. I'm usually browsing the internet, doing some light programming, etc. Half brightness gets me almost 5 hours. Very rare to get less than 4 hours though.

If you've got pages with Flash on them and you're pegging the CPU and brightness cranked and your wifi AP is 2 floors up, you'll probably get 2-1/2 hours.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iostream.h posted:

Woah, I was checking out this thread because BestBuy has some open box 11" MBA for $700 including sales tax and I was thinking about heading back and snagging one, bad idea?

Now I'm worried a bit, it was mainly for writing, browsing and playing around with iOS development again.

Here's what Ars Technica says about it

quote:

Apple gives the 11" MacBook Air a five-hour runtime rating, based on light Web use over a WiFi connection, which we found to be pretty spot on during testing. This involved using the Air regularly during a normal work day, with iChat, Colloquy, Tweetie, NetNewsWire, Mail, Safari, Pixelmator, and TextEdit constantly running, as well as a lot of alternating between browsing the Web and writing. Brightness of the LED-backlit display was set to just one notch under half (or seven pips). Under these conditions, the MacBook Air consistently ran slightly more than five hours, for an average of about 5:30.

They also agree with Bob Morales about flash

quote:

Having Flash installed can cut battery runtime considerably—as much as 33 percent in our testing. With a handful of websites loaded in Safari, Flash-based ads kept the CPU running far more than seemed necessary, and the best time I recorded with Flash installed was just 4 hours. After deleting Flash, however, the MacBook Air ran for 6:02—with the exact same set of websites reloaded in Safari, and with static ads replacing the CPU-sucking Flash versions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It'd be a miracle to get an 11" Air to go 5:30 while actually using it. Setting it to play iTunes and show Yahoo.com or something, I can see.

I've had 3 11" Airs (2010 C2D 2GB/64GB, 2011 i5 2GB/64GB, 2011 i5 4GB/128GB) and they were all pretty much the same when it came to battery life. I've only had 1 13" Air (2011 i5 4GB/128GB), and it gets 6-7 hours with similar usage. I pretty much stick to Safari because Firefox likes to idle at 7-8% CPU usage for some reason and I may be sperging but it kills battery life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm looking at the iMac prices and Apple is essentially charging $250 for a 128gig SSD. And it's only available on the $1500 and up models. The cheapest Fusion drive iMac you can buy costs $1750.

Nobody asked for thinner desktops :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bob Morales posted:

I'd double-check on some Mac forums but in the past people have had sleep issues with their SSD in the optical bay, and also issues with the optical drive bay only being SATA 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s

I doubt 3Gb/s vs 6Gb/s would make any practical difference (I was using a SATA 3Gb/s motherboard with an SSD in my desktop and I didn't notice anything when I upgraded), but I guess if there are other issues I'll just err on the side of caution and pull the disk drive and stick that in the optical bay. Thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple researched the miniaturization tech and goddamn it they're going to get the most out of it before the other civilizations catch up.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

And then you lose one of the two ports the Air has. :smithicide:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

gmq posted:

And then you lose one of the two ports the Air has. :smithicide:

That's why I started off with an air then exchanged it for a pro. Got the 13"retina then realized that was dumb and exchanged it for the 15" retina and I'm happy.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

xzzy posted:

Apple researched the miniaturization tech and goddamn it they're going to get the most out of it before the other civilizations catch up.
It's a shame that more of the world looks at design rather than performance. If everyone knew what an SSD could do, and not be desensitized to waiting for a 5400 RPM disk to spin up their applications, we'd have a real uproar at the lack of under-the-hood parts. Apple chooses to make it a pricey upgrade and not an industry standard for non-laptops.

Not trying to say hasn't been Apple's way of life for quite some time now. But I would have been all over the base iMac if it could get a fusion drive, or if it came with one standard. Instead, I put my money into other companies, building my own hackintosh.

Apple basically markets the iMac and Mac Mini as the fastest desktop for the footprint, however they still contain one of the worst performance bottlenecks in computing today.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

cbirdsong posted:

I always thought this was a convenient-looking Macbook Air storage solution: http://theniftyminidrive.com

Unfortunately, the 11-inch lacks the SD card slot.

Nice, but what kind of speed are we talking about? Playing 1080p+ video directly from the card?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm looking at the iMac prices and Apple is essentially charging $250 for a 128gig SSD. And it's only available on the $1500 and up models. The cheapest Fusion drive iMac you can buy costs $1750.

Where are you seeing these?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Haggins posted:

Anyway, I'm wondering if Apple is going to do anything stupid; like make it so you can't upgrade the RAM without ungluing poo poo. I have a feeling the HD will be more of a bear to replace but I just hope the ram is still easy. Anyone know yet?

Edit: Found my answer on the Apple page...

You kidding? A sizable population of the 27" target market would loving riot if they bolted down the RAM. I'm sure Apple would love to do it- but they're savvy enough not to until probably after they launch a Mac Pro successor.

That convenient RAM hatch is so obviously a "power user waiting for the next Mac Pro" concession.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

I'm thinking about upgrading my home Plex server from a 2009 mac mini (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram) to the the new 2012 model with the i7, as the current CPU is a bottleneck for transcoding. I'd like the new machine to have an SSD, but the $300 Apple add-on is pretty steep, especially considering all data is on the NAS. Is it possible to swap out the default drive with 128GB SSD from NewEgg, or do the drives require some sort of Apple proprietary magic to make them work as a boot drive.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You kidding? A sizable population of the 27" target market would loving riot if they bolted down the RAM. I'm sure Apple would love to do it- but they're savvy enough not to until probably after they launch a Mac Pro successor.

That convenient RAM hatch is so obviously a "power user waiting for the next Mac Pro" concession.

I'd say the same about about Macbook Pros but we've lost HD access, RAM access, and CD drives. The iMac seems to be going in this direction as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Haggins posted:

I'd say the same about about Macbook Pros but we've lost HD access, RAM access, and CD drives. The iMac seems to be going in this direction as well.

That's why I said "until the new Mac Pro comes out." If the rumors surrounding it have correctly pegged it at 'early 2013,' then I wouldn't be shocked if this were the last iMac to have accessible RAM.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Actually I'll be a mother fucker, according to Mac Rumors they did do it:

21.5" iMac Has No User-Upgradable RAM; 27" Has Four Accessible RAM Slots

quote:

Consistent with Apple's quest to make its new computers as thin as possible at the expense of expandability, the new 21.5" iMac contains no user-accessible RAM slots. Instead, it can be configured with 8GB or 16GB of RAM direct from the factory. This was first noticed by Cult of Mac.

The 27" model, on the other hand, can be equipped with up to 32GB of RAM, and has four user-accessible RAM slots via an "easy-to-access memory panel" on the rear of the machine.

From one of Apple's iMac marketing pages:
The 21.5-inch iMac comes with 8GB of memory and can be configured online with 16GB. On the 27-inch iMac, 8GB of memory comes standard, and you can upgrade to 16GB or 32GB. Configure and buy your iMac at the Apple Online Store and it will arrive with the memory already installed. Or add more memory to the 27-inch model yourself by popping open the easy-to-access memory panel on the back.
The 21.5" model ships in November, while the 27" model will begin shipping in December.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe you can add RAM, you just have to pop the glass off first.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
So... When I finally get my new iMac... How hard is it to transfer software? I know there's a tool to transfer your existing software setup to a new Mac, I've just never tried it. Anyone have any luck? It's crucial that I move Logic Pro and Adobe CS over otherwise I have to go and get the external disc drive and well gently caress that I don't want to. :colbert:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

lowercasejames posted:

So... When I finally get my new iMac... How hard is it to transfer software? I know there's a tool to transfer your existing software setup to a new Mac, I've just never tried it. Anyone have any luck? It's crucial that I move Logic Pro and Adobe CS over otherwise I have to go and get the external disc drive and well gently caress that I don't want to. :colbert:

You should have no problems using Migration Assistant. I usually use it from a time machine backup on an external drive, but I believe you and just directly connect the machines (via firewire? ethernet?) and do it that way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Haggins posted:

Actually I'll be a mother fucker, according to Mac Rumors they did do it:

21.5" iMac Has No User-Upgradable RAM; 27" Has Four Accessible RAM Slots

How is that different from what you posted from the Apple website? They made it pretty clear: No access on the 21.5" model, RAM hatch on the 27".

Also, it looks like the prices have been leaked:

MacRumors posted:

Following Apple's announcement today that the new iMac models will go on sale this Friday, November 30 with immediate availability of 21.5-inch models and December availability of 27-inch models, Apple reseller Expercom has posted full configuration and pricing information for each of the models. While Apple has detailed the available customization options since last month, the company had not previously listed pricing information for the various options.

- Base 21.5-inch model: Only one internal customization is available on the $1299 base model, with a $200 charge to upgrade RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB. The RAM is not officially user-upgradable, so those interested in 16 GB of RAM may be interested in considering this option.

- High-end 21.5-inch model: In addition to the same RAM upgrade option available on the low-end model, the high-end model starting at $1499 also offers options for a processor bump from 2.9 GHz Core i5 to 3.1 GHz Core i7 ($200) and to upgrade the base 1 TB hard drive to a Fusion Drive ($250) that incorporates solid-state storage for faster performance.

- Base 27-inch model: The $1799 base model includes a 2.9 GHz Core i5 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 660M graphics, with a number of RAM upgrade options ranging up to $600 for 32 GB of Apple-installed RAM, although Expercom offers its own RAM options for considerably lower pricing and users can upgrade the RAM on the 27-inch models at a later date. A number of storage options are also available, with the base 1 TB hard drive upgradeable to 3 TB for $150. Each of those hard drives can also be upgraded to Fusion Drives for an additional $250 premium, and Apple also offers a 768 GB all-flash drive as a $1300 upgrade.

- High-end 27-inch model: The $1999 model bumps the default processor to a 3.2 GHz Core i5 and the graphics to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1 GB of GDDR5, which can be upgraded to a 3.4 GHz Core i7 ($200) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2 GB of GDDR5 ($150). Storage and RAM upgrades are the same as on the base 27-inch model.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe you can add RAM, you just have to pop the glass off first.

Isn't the glass on the new macs way harder to remove than the last gen stuff?

EDIT - I take that back as I haven't actually seen a teardown of the new ones yet, I must have been thinking of the last gen teardown coupled with how the new screen layout is. Either way it looks more challenging than before.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 28, 2012

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm in the market for a new MBA (after reading the glowing reviews and buying advice in this very thread!) and I have a question. Is there any difference between a 2011 and a 2012 Macbook Air? I'm looking at refurbs, obviously.

e: Looks like there's more difference than I expected - 1.7 Ghz processor vs 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics "3000" vs "4000", 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM vs 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM.

The main difference between the two models I'm looking at is the 2011 has 256GB of flash storage (and is an extra 100 bucks) and the 2012 has 128GB.

So I guess my better question is, is the extra 128 GB of flash storage worth 100 bucks and the inferior components I mentioned above?

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 28, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get the 2012. The HD4000 is much better than the older card and USB3 is awesome. I can live with 128gig flash, but I also have an external USB3 2TB drive, a 64gig SD card and a 32gig flash drive.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At least on the 27" iMac you won't have to pay the apple premium for 32Gb of memory, though for the 21" $200 for 16 is less atrocious than in the past. I am absolutely going to order the max spec 27" option and get decent ram aftermarket unless Apple is actually reasonable.
Any reason to get a 3Tb fusion drive, or is that just silly?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

barfoid posted:

ugh. how long did it take to show up? what exactly did you try telling them before you went to the apple store? what did you say when you were there?

It happened a couple months into ownership. It shocked me when I used the "Solid Gray Dark" solid background color and saw my previous windows burned in.

I made a request with the Genius bar regarding image retention. I stated that images were staying on the screen for long periods of time after displaying a window or text for 2-4 minutes.

When I got there, I sat with the laptop open on a couple windows and the dark gray BG. I then showed the genius the burn in with the windows 'etched' into the BG when I minimized everything. He agreed it was a problem and admitted Apple knows about the issue. He ran the test and confirmed it failed. I inquired about the test and he stated that the screen will be replaced if the laptop shows retention for longer than 4-5 minutes.

Some more information: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1422669
Checkerboard tester: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html (the tech said this is the exact same test Apple performs)

To check your panel, run the following in Terminal:
code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 
If the result starts with LP it's an LG, if it starts with LSN it's a Samsung.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My mom is rocking my G4 tower we got in 2002 when I went to college as her daily use computer and I'd really like to get her a Mac mini for Christmas. Unfortunately with finances the way they are I really can't afford a new model, but I figure since her computing needs are very basic (streaming tv on hulu and CBS, webbrowsing, email) I could probably get her an older model and save a bit.

So two questions! One, what should be my cutoff of mini models in terms of this computer not being able to update flash or anything like that, and two, where would be a place to start looking to buy an older machine?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Quidnose posted:

My mom is rocking my G4 tower we got in 2002 when I went to college as her daily use computer and I'd really like to get her a Mac mini for Christmas. Unfortunately with finances the way they are I really can't afford a new model, but I figure since her computing needs are very basic (streaming tv on hulu and CBS, webbrowsing, email) I could probably get her an older model and save a bit.

So two questions! One, what should be my cutoff of mini models in terms of this computer not being able to update flash or anything like that, and two, where would be a place to start looking to buy an older machine?
I have known several people to sell used macs on Craigslist, but this would obviously depend on where you live and if you want to wade through all the crap to find a normal person selling an old machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Any reason not to get a second hand iMac rather than mini? They always seem better value to me.

Anyway in terms of vintage, a good cutoff point is whether they can run the latest OS.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)