Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Radish posted:

I just bought a Vita on Amazon to play this game and have a bunch of old PSP games but my PSP is busted. Is there any kind of discount you get by owning the physical copies if you want to get the digital versions to play on the vita?

Nope. There was a passport system in Japan, but if I recall it was a bad deal there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I tried to apply the skin, but I absolutely could not get it down without some annoying air bubbles that refused to go away.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

There are bubbles all under the opaque part of my skin but they're not too noticeable and at least the screen is clear. I'll take what I can get :shobon:

Dr Pepper posted:

Troy Baker is pretty much the best and the main reason I played Arena dubbed.

Also Labrys.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Alright, I've had this game for a couple days, finally beat Gravity Rush so let's load this up...

...what the...

Inaba has...a sky box? A background? I can see the hills? There's...the backgrounds aren't blurry lumps of color...? What is this...this feeling in my chest...

could it be

joy?

My god, even the dinner table has actual distinct items that look like actual recognizable food and they let you walk around like right away and...what's happened to my Persona 4? Did this game somehow get a budget!?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RentCavalier posted:

Alright, I've had this game for a couple days, finally beat Gravity Rush so let's load this up...

...what the...

Inaba has...a sky box? A background? I can see the hills? There's...the backgrounds aren't blurry lumps of color...? What is this...this feeling in my chest...

could it be

joy?

My god, even the dinner table has actual distinct items that look like actual recognizable food and they let you walk around like right away and...what's happened to my Persona 4? Did this game somehow get a budget!?

Having never played the PS2 original, I now feel that I'm missing out on just how much this game has improved on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Larsson posted:

I tried to apply the skin, but I absolutely could not get it down without some annoying air bubbles that refused to go away.

It took me a couple of tries, but the trick was to line it up on one side first, and then just guide it gently down across the face onto the other side. MOST of the bubbles should smooth out as you do this. I was able to "finger nail" the rest of them out. Perfect fit, though a bit tight over those little buttons and speaker holes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bummer. Oh well thanks guys!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At least y'all got the skins. Local gamestop dude has been pestering his bosses for a week trying to get their shipment in. I've never been so depressed about a purely cosmetic trinket.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Chie's new voice is pretty adorable. I think it's a better fit for the character, though both actresses (actors if people get upset at gender-specific nouns) sem to have taken their own twist on the character--I don't think you can pick either as a "better" performance, it's just that they emphasized different things.

This time around, though, I think the direction for this actress is a bit better. She nails the kind of goofy awkwardness of Chie's character as written. She's a touch more obnoxious, but I think she's supposed to be. It works.

Also, this auto-scrolling text? Fantastic. This may be the first time I actually listen to all of the voicework. I also think the VA work in general is improved--old familiar lines have slightly better delivery, and it's more energetic thus far in general.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The anime got me used to Chie's new VA. I think it suits her better as well.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, I was dreading the change but it does fit really well. She actually sounds like a hyper teenage girl now.

I still have a soft spot for Tracey Rooney's Chie but they made a good choice for the replacement.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I prefer the old voice, mostly because it's something new with this kind of character and I think Erin Fitzgerald's is pretty generic, although it's not bad, I was just expecting a different kind of take on the voice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Schubalts posted:

She asks what 'steak' is short for (beef steak), decides that's dumb because it doesn't have any part of the word 'beef', and says it should be 'fsteak'.

Thanks. I think that's pretty bad, and if they hadn't spotted the opportunity to include the reference they'd have probably rewritten the entire line.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I prefer the old voice, mostly because it's something new with this kind of character and I think Erin Fitzgerald's is pretty generic, although it's not bad, I was just expecting a different kind of take on the voice.

She does a decent job I think. Part of me misses the old voice but it's fine. Certainly have heard a LOT worse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. I think that's pretty bad, and if they hadn't spotted the opportunity to include the reference they'd have probably rewritten the entire line.

It works in the context of the character who said it. Honestly most of the lines in this game would be really stupid if taken out of context.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Isn't the Japanese like she asks why it's "bifuteki" when that reduces emphasis on the "steak" part and suggests "fusuteki" instead? "Fsteak" seems like a pretty direct transliteration of that, almost.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can pry my fsteak fskewers from my cold dead hands. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of fsteak fskewers, P4G has basically made me go insane with hunger. God drat, I want unlimited meat for $30.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of fsteak fskewers, P4G has basically made me go insane with hunger. God drat, I want unlimited meat for $30.

Every time I play Persona 4 I end up making either ramen or a beef bowl. Every. loving. Time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got past the scene with (LATE GAME SPOILERS HOLY poo poo!)Yosuke attempting to murder Nametame. This scene was every bit as infuriating and stupid as I remembered. How the gently caress do you form a group of people to prevent murders and then attempt to do it yourself and then act like the guy who's trying to stop you from doing it is crazy when it was HIS COUSIN that was just killed?

Seriously, gently caress Yosuke.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 28, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh poo poo. So I just defeated Yosuke's Shadow which was pretty neat in and of itself--in Hard mode, it feels like a very careful fight, and I ended up winning with a sliver of health and no MP.

Then afterwards, we got the scene where Chie yells at you after you get out of the TV. I'm sorry, I must reverse my original position. The new voice actress is much, much better. She goes through, like, three emotional quadrants in five seconds. The scene is completely different and completely hilarious. It's like...this is like the game Persona 4 was always meant to be.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Seriously, gently caress Yosuke.

Honestly dude? In that situation, I'd have probably felt much the same way. He's hot-headed and emotional throughout the ENTIRE game, why on Earth would he be, after potentially the game's most traumatic plot develeopment, would he suggest anything else? Hell, I don't know if I didn't kind of feel the same way in that situation.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2012

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
^^^ You may want to put a date warning on that spoiler for any new people, it's a pretty hefty late-game thing. In fact if you ARE a new person don't mouseover that thing until you are in December.

E: That was for Sex_Ferguson.

On a different note, I've been feeding bugs to the fish at the Shiroku Pub for awhile now but after the Meiou Crickets I can't figure out what to give it next. The lady asks for a rare bug, and I have 2-3 more kinds, but apparently none of them work. Is there another place to grab bugs other than the shrine, or do I just have to wait now?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Got past the scene with MASSIVE LATE GAME SPOILERS
It's in spoiler tags, but since there's approximately 58 scenes where you can say "gently caress Yosuke" in this game, I thought I'd give a heads up to those playing for the first time.

e:fb

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, sorry about that. Anyways, I'm finding it weird having only like 5 S. Links completed near the end of the game. It feels a bit weird knowing I've played this game inside and out, but the restrictions with leveling up my social stats kick my rear end in eating up dates.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
New Game + is when you can really crank out Links.

Meiteron posted:

On a different note, I've been feeding bugs to the fish at the Shiroku Pub for awhile now but after the Meiou Crickets I can't figure out what to give it next. The lady asks for a rare bug, and I have 2-3 more kinds, but apparently none of them work. Is there another place to grab bugs other than the shrine, or do I just have to wait now?

What bugs do you have? The shrine is the only place to catch bugs, but Tanaka's program can have bugs and fish for sale.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SUCK MY DICK, REAPER! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Seriously, that fight was hard as poo poo, and it feels super good. Also the item you get for beating him, holy gently caress.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I haven't actually seen the Reaper yet, but, uh....I do sometimes hear rattling chains if I explore a floor too long. It's unnerving.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speedball posted:

I haven't actually seen the Reaper yet, but, uh....I do sometimes hear rattling chains if I explore a floor too long. It's unnerving.

I think the way it works in this game, unlike Persona 3, is that if you stay in a dungeon too long you start hearing that, and then he'll be in one of the treasure boxes if you haven't opened them all yet. You'll be really thoroughly warned about not wanting to open it by your support character, and if you ignore it you have to fight him. The first time I had no idea what it was so I went for it and got killed in a single turn. This time it was right at the end of going through an optional dungeon Floor 1, so I said gently caress it, and then won.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

The Reaper appears after opening a certain amount of chests (21, I think). The chain rattling signifies that the next chest you open will (usually) have the Reaper in it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

TheJoker138 posted:

I think the way it works in this game, unlike Persona 3, is that if you stay in a dungeon too long you start hearing that, and then he'll be in one of the treasure boxes if you haven't opened them all yet. You'll be really thoroughly warned about not wanting to open it by your support character, and if you ignore it you have to fight him. The first time I had no idea what it was so I went for it and got killed in a single turn. This time it was right at the end of going through an optional dungeon Floor 1, so I said gently caress it, and then won.

What level was your party at?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tricky posted:

What level was your party at?

High 60's. And we only got by because I had a ridiculous amount of Homonculi on me.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ah, cool, I might take a shot at him next time. I'm right about 70 with my crew.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Schubalts posted:

What bugs do you have? The shrine is the only place to catch bugs, but Tanaka's program can have bugs and fish for sale.

So far it's gone Ladybug -> Locust -> Cricket, and each time it moves up the fish gives me a Ryugu Stone. I've also got the grasshopper, stag beetle, and genji beetle but apparently none of them work yet. I might be missing one in the middle that shows up later, I guess, still in September.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there any way to bring the +Exp weapons with you to NG+?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can I start a Rescue Request and put my Vita into sleep to stack it up?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Can I start a Rescue Request and put my Vita into sleep to stack it up?

I'm actually doing this right now, so we'll find out soon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh man, I just found out you can alter the variables of difficulty in NG+. You can pick between the standard diffs or create your own custom difficulty and control how much damage you do/recieve, how much money and exp you gain, and how retries are balanced.

Max damage given/taken, let the war of attrition begin. :getin:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OmegaZultan posted:

Oh man, I just found out you can alter the variables of difficulty in NG+. You can pick between the standard diffs or create your own custom difficulty and control how much damage you do/recieve, how much money and exp you gain, and how retries are balanced.

Max damage given/taken, let the war of attrition begin. :getin:

Could you set it so you're just an unstoppable killing machine and not have to even think about dungeons?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what, it's like that DS Kingdom Hearts game that let you manually tweak everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

TheJoker138 posted:

Could you set it so you're just an unstoppable killing machine and not have to even think about dungeons?

yes, but those settings are exactly the same as very easy.

• Locked thread