Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saoshyant posted:

British pounds. That's 561,700 in American dollars, an average of $4,500 (£2800) paid monthly per person assuming the £200,000 salary-only figure presented earlier. What am I saying is that I'd like to work in the UK.

You should stay in the US. Lead programmers there were getting $75k per annum three years ago.

Bieeardo - While Blitz could certainly get a loan, and in fact could probably put up the money themselves right now, why should they? Using Kickstarter means they can find out for sure who is willing to pay before they make most of their outlay, there's zero risk for them beyond the initial investment for concept design unless they overrun and the money is obtained interest-free. That's better business sense than spending £330k of their own money to produce a game that may not make a return on its production costs.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a matter of philosophy and opinion: to me, crowdsourcing is about small projects and small groups creating niche projects, not an opportunity for large companies and people who can afford to fund projects outright, to cover all of their development costs with zero risk. I'm not impressed by Peter Molyneux dabbling in it, I was even less impressed by rumours of large publishers getting involved several months ago, and this leaves me cold too.

That' just my opinion though, and I'm absolutely not the arbiter of what flies and what dies in crowdfunding land.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That crazy Lego Monkey Island mosaic got funded! :toot:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jedit posted:

You should stay in the US. Lead programmers there were getting $75k per annum three years ago.
Man being a coder in the games industry sucks. Brand new college hires at the big tech companies make significantly more than that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cicero posted:

Man being a coder in the games industry sucks. Brand new college hires at the big tech companies make significantly more than that.

Cite, please? I dragged up some more recent numbers that indicate differently:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-lead+programmer/l-los+angeles,+ca

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jedit posted:

There's no cite required. It is well known in the industry that code hotshots can make $80k+ straight out of college, if they're ok with dull work. I forgot the field that pays that well - I think it's something to do with DB backends? Regardless, it isn't super likely, but, if you're good enough to make it into games, you're probably one of those people that could do that outside of games.

(We all know we're taking $30k-ish paycuts by being in games, it's just a given - I always warn young industry hopefuls about that first. Well, that and the likely hours.)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 29, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sui Generis just squeaked over the finish line with 6 hours left. :confuoot:

Hopefully the writing will end up with a bit more polish so it doesn't turn into Sui Generic. I'm sure I am the first person to ever make this particular joke.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

As Shalinor said, this is a well-known phenomenon; there's a large supply of people who want to make games because they love games, versus relatively fewer people who desperately want to make 'boring' enterprise software, so they can pay game developers less. I also have personal experience with this as I work for Amazon.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Sui Generis just squeaked over the finish line with 6 hours left. :confuoot:

Hopefully the writing will end up with a bit more polish so it doesn't turn into Sui Generic. I'm sure I am the first person to ever make this particular joke.

You can't polish something that doesn't exist. Hopefully they will have some kind of game to watch their exciting engine.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Look what just dropped:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld

I'm not sure what to feel about this. Dungeon Keeper 2 is one of my favourite games, but this doesn't inspire me at all. It's like they're confusing the engine and game assets with gameplay. We seem to be seeing that a lot on Kickstarter.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NmareBfly posted:

I'm sure I am the first person to ever make this particular joke.

It's actually the title of one of their updates :ssh: In which they try to reassure people it won't be boring and generic and actually say this:

quote:

We have not given you a story. We have intentionally lured you into thinking of this as a fairly typical fantasy RPG. Guess what? We don't like those either.

:barf:

Still, I'm glad they made it, their engine looks awesome.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Axegrinder posted:

Look what just dropped:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld

I'm not sure what to feel about this. Dungeon Keeper 2 is one of my favourite games, but this doesn't inspire me at all. It's like they're confusing the engine and game assets with gameplay. We seem to be seeing that a lot on Kickstarter.

I'd like to see some gameplay footage. I so want a proper new Dungeon Keeper, I'd been playing the first 2 on GoG and they're still awesome.

It's already got £8,000 in a day so it's got a good start..

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thorvalla has had some decent updates recently, but this new one is so stupid it almost makes me want to remove my pledge. "Get an overpriced gaming mouse for your pledge to an old school RPG" is awkward on so many levels, doubly so when the project has very little likelihood of success.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Thorvalla has had some decent updates recently, but this new one is so stupid it almost makes me want to remove my pledge. "Get an overpriced gaming mouse for your pledge to an old school RPG" is awkward on so many levels, doubly so when the project has very little likelihood of success.

I don't understand your dislike here. It's Kickstarter, which provides a way for people to support something they want to help succeed. Luckily, these guys have an amount of something that they can afford to give as a "pledge prize" to people who can afford it. It's the same reason you buy chocolate bars for your friend's daughter through her school fundraiser for a buck a pop instead of at the supermarket for 2 for a dollar.

I feel like your argument towards this is not related to the particular item. I won't pretend to know the actual cause, but I know I've been frustrated at times with other kickstarters when they don't seem to be updating in informational or developmental ways, but it's really all directed as a way to make money, so why begrudge them the opportunity if someone is willing to pay?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Drifter posted:

I don't understand your dislike here. It's Kickstarter, which provides a way for people to support something they want to help succeed. Luckily, these guys have an amount of something that they can afford to give as a "pledge prize" to people who can afford it. It's the same reason you buy chocolate bars for your friend's daughter through her school fundraiser for a buck a pop instead of at the supermarket for 2 for a dollar.

I feel like your argument towards this is not related to the particular item. I won't pretend to know the actual cause, but I know I've been frustrated at times with other kickstarters when they don't seem to be updating in informational or developmental ways, but it's really all directed as a way to make money, so why begrudge them the opportunity if someone is willing to pay?

Yeah I'm not really sure what the proposed correct action to take is when faced with a bunch of gifted mice, if the correct answer is not 'use those mice to hopefully get more pledges.'

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I guess it just smacks of desperation and doesn't seem to actually do anything to help the project. The money brought in by the mice isn't going to make or break the project and it's not the kind of natural fit that will generate buzz. It probably is my frustration talking though. I wouldn't have had a problem if it was there from the start, or if it was something that came up towards the end to get a final push. But throwing it in there in the middle of a stalled campaign that obviously has much more fundamental problems that need addressing isn't doing anyone any good. Those kinds of limited tier cross-promotions are things that serve to get your current backers to up their pledge, but do nothing to entice new pledges which is what the project needs to do. I know throwing that update out there doesn't take time away from them doing other more substantial things, but it just looks awkward to me as a stand alone update.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Logitech has obviously sponsored them and given them a stack of mice, what would you expect them to do with the mice?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mug posted:

Logitech has obviously sponsored them and given them a stack of mice, what would you expect them to do with the mice?
Bribe gaming publications to publicize the project. :v:
But seriously, I don't know, maybe hold on to it for a day and make it part of a larger update. "Here's some info and, bonus, a special treat thanks to Logitech" looks better than "Update: we got a bunch of mice." Also the chosen tiers look stupid $225 US only, $235 Europe only. Both of them say "Add $20 to ship out of the US". Either make them the same price or at least make the Europe one include the shipping.

Like I admitted, my reaction is probably fueled by frustration. Also, when I said "overpriced" I wasn't referring to the tier price, but to the mice in general and the fact that the game's core audience didn't strike me as the kind to be enticed by gaming mice. But after googling the mouse I see it's a 20 button mouse geared at MMO players so maybe I was wrong there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Like I admitted, my reaction is probably fueled by frustration. Also, when I said "overpriced" I wasn't referring to the tier price, but to the mice in general and the fact that the game's core audience didn't strike me as the kind to be enticed by gaming mice. But after googling the mouse I see it's a 20 button mouse geared at MMO players so maybe I was wrong there.

I don't know, it seems the hard core RPG gamers who are interested in a "no name" ex producer of PS:T or other games older than a teenager and want to play some sort of card combat game would have very little in common with the market that a twenty button, laser guided, 4-digit dpi mouse is geared towards. Haha. Different kinds of hardcore.

Also, I think these nostalgia developer games bother me to a certain degree because for the most part they don't have a relatively modern CV of related completed projects and they are asking for so much money from the fans, without actually putting the legwork into creating an actual business/development presentation. Or perhaps the business presentations I've had to prepare in my line of work are different than putting together a sales pitch for a videogame and so I am unfamiliar with the standards of that, but it doesn't feel fleshed out enough.

I suppose it seems to me that it is relying on a bunch of people going "eh, I can afford to lose ten bucks" rather than trying to have one person go "This is an idea worth a million dollars." I feel that to bank on a million people and their apathy for small discretionary income shouldn't negate the fact that you should be treating the situation as if you had to build enough confidence and reasons to convince one person to fund the entire thing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I eagerly await how people are going to react to this:

http://www.ouya.tv/dev-consoles-are-shipping-on-time/

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.
I wonder if everyone who bought virtual property in Greed Monger realize that the game is being developed by a no-experience "Idea Guy" who advertised his game with stock 3d assets?

As of about an hour ago, this game is officially funded. With $100,000. Over three-times the original goal.

http://u3d.as/content/dexsoft-games/wealthy-medieval-citizen/2Ez
http://u3d.as/content/dexsoft-games/medieval-farmer/2qZ
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/104212-3dFoin-Professional-Dragon-Model/page2
http://u3d.as/content/dexsoft-games/medieval-slum-construction-kit/1CN
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=279850

Stolen from Brash_Endeavours of Wurm Online forums here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69845-greed-monger/

~~Ye moste storied and gilded developmente historium of GREED MONGER~~

quote:

Septermber 9 2012: Jason Appleton discovers Unity game engine, discovers a new mission in life -- he is going to make a really cool RPG game! Although he's never actually done any coding or stuff. But he's done, like, some HTML. Experienced Unity developers try (unsuccessfully) to try to talk him into starting small, and actually learning about how to use the program and starting on smaller more attainable projects first, rather than make a huge RPG his very first project.

September 10, 2012: Unity is just so cool!!!

September 10, 2012: Jason Appleton decides to put together a team of people who understand maybe a bit better than him, how to actually make a game. Gets a little antsy when Unity moderators stall on posting his thread, as they explain "it comes off as the typical 'I'm the ideas guy and need a team to do the actual work for me'. These types of threads are rarely approved these days." But they approve it anyway. He actually posts a lot of these threads, because this is all so exciting....

September 13, 2012: Jason Appleton continues his quest of actually finding someone who can make his game for him in Unity.

October 14, 2012: Despite the advice not to start buying lots of assets for some future game when he doesn't really understand how to program in Unity yet, Jason Appleton starts buying art assets (but has problems importing them into his Unity program). Oh help!

October 14, 2012: Jason Appleton decides he probably better hire someone else to make his Kickstarter demo video for him, as he is still struggling with how to make all this stuff really look like an actual game. He states at that stage he has a potential investor, not a gamer but an old guy "worth millions" and "like a father to me" so he is not the least bit worried about getting his dream funded, he just needs someone who can make his ideas look like ... you know .... an actual project. So he can then sell his ideas to the people who actually have money. And, um, talent.

October 23, 2012: Jason Appleton types up a REAL PRESS RELEASE announcing his new Kickstarter promotion for his new groundbreaking online MMORPG! It will be JUST LIKE Ultima Online! (Except that was of course designed by real game developers). He sidesteps questions from more experienced Unity developers, on whether he's actually found a way to cut down trees (apparently Unity isn't very friendly about stuff like that.)

November 12, 2012: Oh -- it would probably help if he could find an actual World Builder for his open world RPG.... don't worry, he is sure to find someone.

November 13, 2012: Flush with victory from an early KS success (which some notice, attracts an unusual number of backers making $2000 pledges right off the bat, leading some to question whether this is similar to his buying up Facebook likes in bulk only to have them all vanish a week later; ie will all those big pledges really be there at the end or are they promotional gimmicks to look like the project is a solidly backed one?), Jason Appleton announces he is going to be buying up A LOT!!! more premade generic medieval game assets, so anyone he hasn't yet bought from, should start adding them to the asset store, as he now has money to burn...

November 18, 2012: oh but maybe he should suddenly switch his game engine? Does this other one maybe look even better?

Go go Jason Appleton! More about him on his personal website and Who Is Jason Appleton

:suicide:

krazysigmarite fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 30, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Penny Arcade Report actually did an editorial on the guy:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/how-mma-fight-promotion-is-like-mmo-game-production-a-former-fight-promoter

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
That Greed Monger stuff is hilarious. It reminds me of Crimson Sword or whatever it was called.

It will probably be even worse than Mortal Online.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
He should rename his project to Literally Greed Monger.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Sportsfriends stream starting in 15 minutes @ http://www.twitch.tv/Sportsfriends

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wow, the Twilight Zone Kickstarter release was handled really poorly. They didn't send out codes or anything to anyone, they just said "Update the app and you'll have access to rewards!", so people don't even know how they are enabling these, especially because Kickstarter ID is not always the same as Apple ID, and those are not always the same as Farsight ID. I don't have access to my table, and a lot of other people don't seem to.

Also, when the Kickstarter was ran, a PC release of Pinball Arcade was promised before the Twilight Zone table release, so people who pledged for access to the table on the PC are also really pissed.

The update page is here, with all the angry comments: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts/359890?ref=activity

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Quarex posted:

Well I'll be damned, that's pretty neat. I wasn't really expecting anything to come of OUYA anytime soon.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quarex posted:

I didn't realise how tiny those things were.

I kinda like it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
City Conquest, an iOS Tower Defense, which ran a successful Kickstarter campaign has been released.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paultozour/city-conquest-tower-defense-evolved/posts/359732?ref=email&show_token=d6a6e3f8620eb153

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Johnny Law posted:

Sportsfriends stream starting in 15 minutes @ http://www.twitch.tv/Sportsfriends
For anyone that missed it - if you have any friends, any friends at all, it would be worth backing this for the pole vaulting game alone. Hoooolllllly poo poo do I want that on my PS3.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Hoooolllllly poo poo do I want that on my PS3.

They shot themselves in the foot, to be honest.

There should've been more rewards below $60 that are enticing (heck, even a themed thumb-drive would be enough). The 18-player Joust should have been marketed as a club/arcade/university special and should've been for $500, with the 7-player version at $100. All the extra games should have been stretch goals, as opposed to a bundle (with a reward to get a license for the collective at higher levels if left unattained).

I can only imagine how painful it will be for me when Sportsfriends doesn't get funded. I really, really am in love with this entire package (and have grown fond of the additives). Here's to $10,000 a day.

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

Ulgress posted:

They shot themselves in the foot, to be honest.

There should've been more rewards below $60 that are enticing (heck, even a themed thumb-drive would be enough). The 18-player Joust should have been marketed as a club/arcade/university special and should've been for $500, with the 7-player version at $100. All the extra games should have been stretch goals, as opposed to a bundle (with a reward to get a license for the collective at higher levels if left unattained).

I can only imagine how painful it will be for me when Sportsfriends doesn't get funded. I really, really am in love with this entire package (and have grown fond of the additives). Here's to $10,000 a day.

They couldn't have possibly made the Joust awards that cheap. You need a PlayStation Move for every player and those are $40 a piece.

But yeah, if this doesn't get funded I'm gonna get mad.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rhontos posted:

They couldn't have possibly made the Joust awards that cheap. You need a PlayStation Move for every player and those are $40 a piece.

Which is why they shouldn't bundle it at all. Maybe I'm just crazy, though.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Pochoclo posted:

That Greed Monger stuff is hilarious. It reminds me of Crimson Sword or whatever it was called.

It will probably be even worse than Mortal Online.

Crimoline Hats. Never not forget.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So this brand new kickstarter just went up - it's basically aiming to be the Star Trek game that mass effect kind of feels like it was supposed to be, but instead turned into something more like a star trek movie than a tv show, focusing on combat. It promises a lot of story-based stuff and dealing with higher end scifi ideas, as well as the day to day management of your ship and crew, in addition to 'combat with consequences': http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium

It sounds great. I've wanted this kind of game for a while. If something like this works, it would be wonderful.

But at the same time, there's weird poo poo like your spaceship is a giant jet airliner, like L Ron Hubbard's scientology story with Xenu. :psyduck:

(Edit: I read in a little more and the "spaceship" is actually not a spaceship, but simply orbits the stratosphere of earth - that's kind of neat I guess since it narrows the scope of the scifi to the hugeness of planet earth.)

There's a lot to take in, and apparently this ambitious game has been bubbling since 1998, so I'm not sure what to think just yet.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 1, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The Alpha Colony kickstarter is down to 11 hours, and about 86% funded - it's certainly going to be close, either way.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Spacedad posted:

So this brand new kickstarter just went up - it's basically aiming to be the Star Trek game that mass effect kind of feels like it was supposed to be, but instead turned into something more like a star trek movie than a tv show, focusing on combat. It promises a lot of story-based stuff and dealing with higher end scifi ideas, as well as the day to day management of your ship and crew, in addition to 'combat with consequences': http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium

Episodic gaming and they are planning 21 episodes to be released all the way to 2021 for 200,000(I'm sure they expect it to sell so well, it'll pay for the next episodes). I think I'll wait to pledge until they scale down their plan to something sensible for that amount of money, otherwise this sounds like it'll go the way of Sin Episodes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spacedad posted:

It sounds great. I've wanted this kind of game for a while. If something like this works, it would be wonderful.

But at the same time, there's weird poo poo like your spaceship is a giant jet airliner, like L Ron Hubbard's scientology story with Xenu. :psyduck:

(Edit: I read in a little more and the "spaceship" is actually not a spaceship, but simply orbits the stratosphere of earth - that's kind of neat I guess since it narrows the scope of the scifi to the hugeness of planet earth.)

There's a lot to take in, and apparently this ambitious game has been bubbling since 1998, so I'm not sure what to think just yet.

This whole thing sounds great in concept, but in execution it seems like a complete Derek Smart-esque fever dream made by insane people. I'll buy it when it's done, and in the event that it doesn't crash and burn horribly.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

Spacedad posted:

If you had a ship that operates in the stratosphere (and apparently be able to go to the moon, if the Kickstarter is any indication) it still wouldn't look like a jetliner. That's just... odd. Maybe someone on the team just really likes jumbo-jets?

The whole visual style seems a bit off for the project, honestly. I can see the retro-feel they're aiming for, but it just comes off as amateurish. The "most epic sci-fi saga ever attempted" stuff isn't helping matters.

EDIT: A quick check of Wikipedia shows that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I guess jets in the stratosphere make sense. Considering that's where they fly and all. Yep. Not sure what I was thinking. :P

faxmaster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I'm fine with simplistic art, but their style just looks terrible. It's like they took the worst aspects of The Old Republic's art and magnified them.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 1, 2012