Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

That's what makes Barkley legitimately a great game. The humor's not just a gimmicky thing, the game itself is actually really excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
How much would it cost you guys to license the Space Jam song? :ohdear:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A lot of people are talking about licensing the Space Jam song.

It's important to consider that Space Jam had more than one song.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Man, I thought I could go my entire life without ever supporting a Kickstarter. I was wrong.

Goonspeed, Boyardee.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

A lot of people are talking about licensing the Space Jam song.

It's important to consider that Space Jam had more than one song.

More than two songs, even!

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Yaos posted:

I recall reading an article from a developer bitching about poor support for independents on the consoles. While Steam puts every new game on the front page, consoles go out of their way to hide the games. An Android and iOS port would be the best option for a mobile release.

Supposedly it's changing, but yeah I remember that article too.

I highly suggest you do aim for Vita and 3DS port...after you secure a Steam release, IOS, and Android port PLUS whatever else you want. If the interest for the game is that big that you meet all of your other goals and potential revenue sources, and consumers are willing to help fund it for you it'd be stupid not to. Just make sure your priorities are straight.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 2, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Licensing even one of those songs would probably cost all the potential Kickstart income times ten. Seriously that poo poo is incredibly expensive.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
You got my $10, the original was amazing!

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Undead Unicorn posted:

I highly suggest you do aim for Vita and 3DS port...after you secure a Steam release, IOS, and Android port PLUS whatever else you want. If the interest for the game is that big that you meet all of your other goals and potential revenue sources, and consumers are willing to help fund it for you it'd be stupid not to. Just make sure you priorities are straight.

The RoI here is probably going to be really low. Licensing for consoles/handhelds is really expensive, and Barkley wasn't the type of game that your average person would appreciate, and consoles are pretty much the lowest common denominator.

I really think they should stick to PC/Mac (and only mac because they already have a guy for it).

:goonsay:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

notZaar posted:

Licensing even one of those songs would probably cost all the potential Kickstart income times ten. Seriously that poo poo is incredibly expensive.

Really? It would be hilarious if the original theme song to a bad 16 year old movie was super expensive to license.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hey, what do you all think about the idea of a console port, either Vita or 360? Is this something that you'd be interested in? This is an option that's available to us but I'm not sure if it's something people would actually want. It would be done externally and is about five times more expensive to port the game to a console than it is to the Mac, which is why I'm kind of apprehensive and checking to see if this is something people would like.

I'd like to have 360 controller support in some form, but porting it to an actual console is almost definitely not worth it if it would cost you that much.

Plus, XBLIG is kind of a poo poo service in terms of publicizing your game (it would definitely sell there, being one of a handful of diamonds in an ocean of poo poo, just probably not enough to make it worth a port), and I think you need a publisher to get onto the main XBLA marketplace. Plus the pricing models could cause a problem, since I expect that Barkley 2 would sell for at least $10, which is more than people are typically willing to pay on XBLIG even for good games.

As for the Vita, well, no one really owns a loving Vita. On the bright side you would be one of the few good or interesting games on the system.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 2, 2012

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Macavity posted:

and consoles are pretty much the lowest common denominator.

See I'm going to disagree with this, mainly because while the PSP was never a big system or whatever, it's identity was built on quirky, weird jRPGs and RPGs.

Compared to the Mac and PC, yes the return is going to be small especially if they manage to get a Steam release. I'm not disputing this at all. But if the Kickstarter is successful enough that Tales can meet whatever other goals it has in it's funding, I don't see why taking a chance to expand their audience would be a bad thing if they already have those extra funds sitting around.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It was probably a for-hire work for the movie so Warner Brothers probably owns it lock-stock and there's no reason for them to get out of bed unless it's gonna net them hundreds of thousands.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'd absolutely love a Vita port, and I know Corpse Party was a big success and was indie as gently caress as well, buuut yeah realistically it'd probably not be worth it :( . I'm wondering how sales shook out for that Retro City Rampage dude as they did Vita/PC/ I think others release too

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion and say a 360 port to XBLA could be extremely lucrative. Just have it come out a little bit later than the pc and the ballin Metacritic score will ensure Microsoft will actually promote it. The potential audience there is much larger.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If your XBox port option is XBLIG, then definitely not. If you can get on XBLA and get a decent marketing campaign behind it, then it might be worth it, but that stuff is really hit or miss. PSVita, I really wouldn't know anything about the viability of that, and I have a feeling no one else here does, either. But I can't imagine the return on that being too great. Perhaps the best road to take is to go PC only, see how it fares on PC, and if it gets bigger and way more buzz than you imagined, then consider porting it to consoles, using the hype wave to your advantage.

Macavity posted:

and consoles are pretty much the lowest common denominator.

Are you submitting your terrible dwarfnet posts early?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm playing Barkley 1 for the first time and goddamn is this loving amazing. Like, the only JRPG i've ever played in my life (discounting pokemon of course) was Golden Sun 1, and I played that over the course of like 3 years when I'd find my gameboy and play it for about 2 weeks then get bored/lose it again for a few months. I didn't even remember or care about the plot and characters by the time I finished, which I know is the whole point of the genre.

So I'm basically I'm just about a complete newcomer to the JRPG genre, and this is just incredible. I can really feel for and sympathize with Barkley. Like how his hardships and guilt have made him a bitter cynical dick, but at his core he's still a good guy.

Question: Should I be buying upgrades to weapons and armor at stores, or will I consistently find equivalent gear as treasure shortly after passing a store? I'm just at the sewer furry village, for reference, though my question pertains to the whole game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yoya posted:

I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion and say a 360 port to XBLA could be extremely lucrative. Just have it come out a little bit later than the pc and the ballin Metacritic score will ensure Microsoft will actually promote it. The potential audience there is much larger.

Actually most indies who have released on XBLA have said they have made way more money on steam than on the xbox marketplace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Port it to consoles if it's a breakout hit, yeah. Then you can make people buy it like 20 times like Braid.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

DrManiac posted:

bad 16 year old movie

Someone unaware the movie is canon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Steam should be enough; I just don't think the reward would be worth it on a console.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm playing Barkley 1 for the first time and goddamn is this loving amazing. Like, the only JRPG i've ever played in my life (discounting pokemon of course) was Golden Sun 1, and I played that over the course of like 3 years when I'd find my gameboy and play it for about 2 weeks then get bored/lose it again for a few months. I didn't even remember or care about the plot and characters by the time I finished, which I know is the whole point of the genre.

So I'm basically I'm just about a complete newcomer to the JRPG genre, and this is just incredible. I can really feel for and sympathize with Barkley. Like how his hardships and guilt have made him a bitter cynical dick, but at his core he's still a good guy.

Question: Should I be buying upgrades to weapons and armor at stores, or will I consistently find equivalent gear as treasure shortly after passing a store? I'm just at the sewer furry village, for reference, though my question pertains to the whole game.
Go ahead and buy upgrades at the stores. It's going to be a while before you find really great equipable loot in chests and you should be nearing the point where getting Neo-Sheqels is trivial.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Yoya posted:

Most of the people who are interested in the game probably want it on PC anyway. I doubt the 360-only audience would be very interested, since it is neither CoD nor Black Ops. :v:

Also, i have never watched Space Jam, and i really need to do that soon, i think. I need to learn more about the Barkley Lore.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Space Jam is a great movie.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

notZaar posted:

Space Jam is a great movie.

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWgLE7Bl-4

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
60K! :toot:

Time for some unique dilbert animation.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Now THIS is the most poignant, painstakingly woven tapestry of love, loss and vengeance ever to be put from pen to paper.

I know I'll probably be attacked for this (b-ball is for losers, etc. :rolleyes: ), but this is exactly how I felt when Charles Barkley lost his mojo in Space Jam. I honestly didn't know what to do, I was pretty much in a daze.. I would go into b-ball games without any sneakers equipped, I'd forget to dribble while moving around the court, completely neglected my homies. I would just go do free throws for hours at a time... I just didn't see any point to advancing the story, how could there be a story without Barkleys b-ball skills? Well, it took some time, but I got over it (and took my revenge on the Monstars :D [Jordan + Toon Powers ftw]), and the point is, I'm sure you will too. If there's anything I'd take from this, it's that life goes on even after losing a loved one, it's just up to you how long it takes. Goondolences.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Chef, please don't be playing us when you tweet that the in-game theater is going to have live cut scenes...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is the best news. "Bitch I look like Gorfeld. I look like Garf-eel."

I'm looking forward to playing with Jokerman text.

I love that scene. As pointless as the subplot about B-Ball failing without Barkley and the others was, that scene will always be hilarious.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 3, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

Chef, please don't be playing us when you tweet that the in-game theater is going to have live cut scenes...

With some made by DocFuture. It's like all of my wildest dreams made true.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Chef Boyardee, thi's game look's really cool and I've donated ten dollar's to the games kick'starter!

I do think that thi's, and the original, would be perfect game's to put on XBLA. You'd get a lot of player's buying them for the quirk-factor alone. If Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac can get release's then surely your's can too. Thank's! Keep up the great work, guy's!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just to clarify, since I made one of the earlier jokes about the game working on a retro console, in no way should any console version happen in a way that would interfere with the development of the game itself. And you're definitely much better off working with what you know, and unless a port is a question of "save\export" it's probably not worth your while with the extra headaches involved.

For actual raw numbers, Cthulhu Saves the World made less money in a year on the Xbox indie store than they made in a WEEK on Steam. A console release would in no way "make it rain" for you guys the same way a Steam release would.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Note Microsoft has been pushing super-shady poo poo regarding XBLA lately as well - like demanding you release a game on Windows 8 marketplace exclusively if you want an XBLA promotion. That is just a 'gently caress no' there.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That's what makes Barkley 1 such a good game, I think. It's all one massive joke, but the characters are actual characters who take themselves and the world around them super, super seriously. You get this sense of "oh poo poo, what's going to happen next" even as you're laughing your rear end off at the ridiculousness of it all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Just because you don't like their terms doesn't make it "super-shady."

But yeah I can't recommend a console port, don't really see the upside in it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Doesn't the Android have really high piracy rates? I know there is some debate about it, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

Doesn't the Android have really high piracy rates? I know there is some debate about it, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Because PC, now there's a platform where piracy is hard.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CarpenterWalrus posted:

If Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac can get release's then surely your's can too. Thank's! Keep up the great work, guy's!

Super Meat Boy sold better on steam :ssh: and Isaac barely got a publisher and is being remade for consoles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I agree with sticking with PC and Mac and if anything port it to iOS and Android. Consoles are a mess right now in comparison to PC and mobile and not as profitable for indie guys like yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Because PC, now there's a platform where piracy is hard.
That might be, but they're already developing for it. Plus, Steam games still sell well.