Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

PonchAxis posted:

Super Meat Boy sold better on steam :ssh: and Isaac barely got a publisher and is being remade for consoles.

No one isn't saying Steam shouldn't be the first and main distribution method to aim for. No poo poo it's going to sell best on Steam. It's just that a lot of us bieleve thanks to niche titles like Corpse Party, Super Meat Boy, and Retro City Rampage that if they meet whatever other goals they want to meet first, it should be considered an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

epitasis posted:

Just because you don't like their terms doesn't make it "super-shady."

Making you put it on their lovely new OS is super shady.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, what a bunch of fatuous cocksuckers. Unsurprisingly you get this sort of fanboy reaction from the typical hanger-ons of the edutainment bandwagon. Well, let me be the first to register disappointment with what will surely be an epic (and I mean EPIC) fail.

I typed up several thousand word posts before deciding that, as a great man said, brevity is the soul of wit. I've condensed my critiques in to a bulleted point list, which perhaps the low-caliber intellects of this disgusting circle jerk will understand...

• The first Barkley game was a masterpiece. It took the JRPG genre and offered an exegesis on its foibles, merits, and quirks. Here we are presented with a by-the-books game aping the WRPG. An, 'unironic' Deus Ex, if you will. Let me break the news to you, chums, the early 2000s zeitgeist has passed. JC Denton is resting in a shallow grave that Squeinix has pissed upon. Go back to what you're good at!
  • No Facebook integration? Le sigh... allow me to say this plainly. SOCIAL. NETWORKING. IS. THE. FUTURE. If I could (in such a crude medium) convey it through cave drawing I would. Social media is the buffalo, and you are the cave-fellow getting a diarrhea dump taken in its ear. Your game is IRRELEVANT without FACEBOOK INTERGRATION. If you must stoop, then at least stoop to Twitter.
  • Way to jump the hipster shark! Heh, no doubt you're programming with your ironic pork-pie placed squarely on that empty noggin of yours. Barkley (I refeuse to call it Barkley 1, since there is [as far as I'm concerned] one and only Barkley game unless you come to your senses and make a proper sequel)a brilliant melding of satire and reverence. However, here, you're simply appropriating gamer culture to claim it as your own. Peddle your inanity somewhere else, sir. Hell, in my neck of the woods we call this by its real name. Pandering.

Although I'm not confident my words will get through to you, I hope you see at least some of the sense that I'm telling you. Best wishes.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Really looking forward to this. Pledged for my own Cyberdwarf; will look good next to my other dakimakura's.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
On the issue of console ports: http://www.coldbeamgames.com/3/post/2012/11/november-26th-2012.html

I'm ready for some edutainment, which I'm surprised is even a word.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bad business decision aside, the idea of valuable development resources being wasted on a console port for this game appeals to me as a backer about as much as bringing David Gaider on to write for Project: Eternity would have.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Just gave 75 dollars via PayPal. Contributing to very real improvements to our reality.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People really need to separate XBLA and XBLIG when talking about porting to consoles/XBL. They're VERY different services with very different expected sales figures. Beat Hazard was an XBLIG game, and that store is a wasteland. If it was on XBLA, it would have fared much better, I feel. I'm not saying it would have beaten Steam, but at least it wouldn't have been a flat line on the bottom of a graph.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I am a patron of the arts. Gonna brag on this so hard at my next cocktail and canapé soirée. "Why yes, countess, I made a substantial donation to a struggling artiste with a grandiose vision. His medium? Vidcons for true doom-murderheads."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

Doesn't the Android have really high piracy rates? I know there is some debate about it, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Yes, but so does iOS -- the profitability of the ecosystem as a whole has less to do with that than people think, though. It's mostly just that a metric fuckton of Android's market share is not able to be monetized. You basically can't get a new phone today on a major carrier without getting an Android with a data plan; people who years ago would have just walked in and picked up whatever dinky flip phone are now getting lovely Androids. Those people do not give a poo poo about apps or games and they make up a huge part of the Android marketshare. Fucktons of people are still running Gingerbread on some horrible miniscreen phone with bizarre Frankenstein aftermarket UIs tacked on that are technically Androids but you would never think of them as real media devices.

Long story short, I wouldn't count Android out, they're making leaps and bounds with heavy-handed Nexus branding and trying to put the cat back in the bag with standardizing quality, but as it stands today you will not make much money with Android compared to iOS so if doing cross platform is a significant resource investment then you'd better forget about Android upfront and do it when/if you get time and money.

e: And of course as others have rightly said, consider this game's audience -- Steam will obviously be the most profitable starting place and should be top priority. iOS only as resources permit, and Android later or never.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 3, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just 123 dollars to the next stretchgoal. Save import is within reach, and we can all breathe more easily, even without the use of a Chicken Fry.

Still, that's getting us a bit too close to the goal that forces them to wear pants.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

$80,000: Pants are completely banned.

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
Guys, guys, guys. You need to give up on the possibility of them ever licensing Space Jam. That's unreasonable. Insane. Even as a joke it is stale. Same with Sir Charles. He will never have his likeness associated with this game for gaijins

But there is someone else. Something better also connected to the Barkley mythos

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

90,000: All pants of the developers and their families surrendered to 10,000-level donors, in equal amounts.

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

$80,000: Pants are completely banned.

The year is 2053. Pants-wearing is dead.

My name is Chef Boyardee. I am one of the last pants-wearers alive.

In 2041 pants were made illegal and almost all pants-wearers were massacred in what is now known as "the Great Pants Purge". I lived, but I lost my reason for living. My pants were gone.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

what a great guy posted:

The year is 2053. Pants-wearing is dead.

My name is Chef Boyardee. I am one of the last pants-wearers alive.

In 2041 pants were made illegal and almost all pants-wearers were massacred in what is now known as "the Great Pants Purge". I lived, but I lost my reason for living. My pants were gone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MultiWerar posted:

Guys, guys, guys. You need to give up on the possibility of them ever licensing Space Jam. That's unreasonable. Insane. Even as a joke it is stale. Same with Sir Charles. He will never have his likeness associated with this game for gaijins

But there is someone else. Something better also connected to the Barkley mythos

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't know Dan Aykroyd was in this game!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is the first kickstarter I have donated to. I'm glad I could do my little bit to better the world of vidcons.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
We are so close to the Al-Bhed translation. :unsmigghh:

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I am finally going to go and play the original game so I can decipher this thread and the kickstarter to know if I should contribute. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet. I mean, I've played a couple serious RPGs in my life, and I think I could appreciate a little loving satire.

All the talent involved in the original and this sequel has got my hype levels amped. I wish you the best. [Wow][Good] indeed.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Charles Barkley Shut up And Jam Gaiden would have made a great game to go along with Space Jam and expand the Space Jam mythos where we see what happened after the Space Jam and the b-ballers discovered their true powers. What we got was a lovely basketball game. :( Why do Space Jam fans have to be the ones to create a rich tapestry such as this?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I mean, I've played a couple serious RPGs in my life, and I think I could appreciate a little loving satire.

If that's the attitude you have going into B,SUAJ:G, then you may be disappointed.
You see, everything in that game is canon.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

blurry! posted:

Please commission the artist/writer for this comic as a stretch goal of 80,000

Thank you in advance (TIA)

Did anyone else notice that both Jack Nicholson and Bill Cosby are there to support Charles Barkley?

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

If that's the attitude you have going into B,SUAJ:G, then you may be disappointed.
You see, everything in that game is canon.

Yeah I just watched the trailer for the original game. I may have to reevaluate my position. I still want to play it, though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
You know, technically neither Barkley 1 nor Barkley 2 are vidcons, since they're not console videogames. Or has vidcon just expanded to mean videogames in general now. I can get behind that.

Also, what are chups?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Just 123 dollars to the next stretchgoal. Save import is within reach, and we can all breathe more easily, even without the use of a Chicken Fry.

Hate to break it to you, but Chicken Fries are gone. They've been replaced with chicken strips. 2012, the year the Chicken Fry died.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also, what are chups?

Glaucoma medication.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Unguided posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Chicken Fries are gone. They've been replaced with chicken strips. 2012, the year the Chicken Fry died.

Thinking about it, there would be a kind of integrity to chicken strips being a better version of chicken fries. Maybe get some nugget in there, and a dipping sauce system like the condiments in Earthbound... forward my check to Idea Guy Creative Consultancy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thinking about it, there would be a kind of integrity to chicken strips being a better version of chicken fries. Maybe get some nugget in there, and a dipping sauce system like the condiments in Earthbound... forward my check to Idea Guy Creative Consultancy.

X114JAM9 put the tin of cocoa on the chicken fry! It didn't taste too good...

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I just beat the original and I'm already sold on the sequel. That was pretty much one of the greatest games I've ever played, even if it did keep crashing every time the wrong sound played. Though, that tended to mainly occur during highly important plot cutscenes, so based on the sheer B-Ball energies involved I kind of understand. Except it meant I had to watch the final cutscene on youtube so I can't import my save game into the sequel.

What I'm saying is I'm glad the original game was canon - I'd hate to start the sequel in a featureless void due to the lack of any prior continuity for the sequel to start from.

risbolla
Feb 20, 2012
This is literally a very special and exciting time of all our lives and I'm very happy for the chance to be a part of this gaming revolution. I haven't backed anything on KICKstarter before, but who could pass up a chance to KICK this fantastic game into maximum overdrive? Heh-heh!

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I just finished Barkley 1 this morning. Gonna save my Victorian Steampunk Mode run for closer to the Barkley 2 release (and I'll make sure to get the library cards [I only got 3/4 :doh:] and the key in Cuchulainn's Tomb).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sector_corrector posted:

Wow, what a bunch of fatuous cocksuckers. Unsurprisingly you get this sort of fanboy reaction from the typical hanger-ons of the edutainment bandwagon. Well, let me be the first to register disappointment with what will surely be an epic (and I mean EPIC) fail.

*laughs, shakes head* Clearly you never played the first game in its original Japanese: Barukuri Warrior. Instead you, like all the rest in the ignorant masses, played the watered-down English translation, which is idiotic tripe, much like all the other garbage they call vidcons that America produces. If you had experienced the game the way it was meant to be played, in glorious Kanji from the geniuses over at Nippon you wouldn't be such a baka gaijin. :smug:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We officially have an Al Bhed translation.
This is the first step to eliminating Al Bhed oppression. I'm tearing up a li'l.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

We officially have an Al Bhed translation.
This is the first step to eliminating Al Bhed oppression. I'm tearing up a li'l.
One step closer to the ultimate goal of mandatory pants.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
E's bancuhymmo cu kmyt drec kysa femm pa kaddehk yh [Al Bhed] dnyhcmydeuh. Ed'c mega dra Zybyhaca janceuh uv Amjecr un Gmehkuh, yht rahla ec paddan. :japan:

More seriously, Nightmare City is on the horizon. :allears:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

helopticor posted:

E's bancuhymmo cu kmyt drec kysa femm pa kaddehk yh [Al Bhed] dnyhcmydeuh. Ed'c mega dra Zybyhaca janceuh uv Amjecr un Gmehkuh, yht rahla ec paddan. :japan:

More seriously, Nightmare City is on the horizon. :allears:

i like barkley 1. i like fps.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I talked to the guy who would be able to do the XBox/Vita/whatever ports and I doubt they'll be happening, but we will be making the game with controller compatibility. I do know that one of the programmers plugged in a bunch of USB controllers and they all seemed to work okay. It's obviously too early to say controllers are working fine or give any specifics, but it is something we'd like the game to have and will actively work toward.

On the topic of porting, though, we're looking into Linux porting and apparently it's a lot easier to do than console ports. This is something we've received quite a few emails about (more than console ports at least), so I think there's at least some market for it.

Super pumped about Nightmare City by the way. A really big hub city is something we really, really wanted from the very beginning but just didn't think we'd have the time and manpower for. I hope we make this goal so we can saturate the game with even more dumb and repugnant content.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd be thinking about what you're gonna do with ~$100k, because that's probably where you're gonna end up at this rate.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

I'd be thinking about what you're gonna do with ~$100k, because that's probably where you're gonna end up at this rate.

Doesn't even really factor in the final push, which'll get them a sizable sum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chef Boyardee posted:

On the topic of porting, though, we're looking into Linux porting and apparently it's a lot easier to do than console ports. This is something we've received quite a few emails about (more than console ports at least), so I think there's at least some market for it.
Be careful with this. Linux nerds are super whiny outspoken but practically the whole linux ethos is, "Software should be, like, free, maaaan" so the market of paying customers may be smaller than it appears based on feedback, especially when you consider that any gamer who runs linux almost certainly dual boots Windows anyway. Still, it might be a good idea if it's not that hard (especially with Steam being ported to Linux), and maybe it would make potentially porting to Android tablets easier?

On that note, have guys looked at porting to the iPad? iOS seems to be where all the mobile $$$ are.