Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

DoctorWhat posted:

As many have said, Lives persist in Mario games to preserve the iconography of the one-up mushroom and the life-every-100-coins schtick.

They're as much a part of Mario games as thematic worlds, bottomless pits, and floating blocks that contain things. Removing them would be stranger than taking them out just because some folks don't think they're relevant anymore.

Conversely, I wonder how people felt when FPS titles started phasing out medkits for regenerating health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mercury Crusader posted:

They're as much a part of Mario games as thematic worlds, bottomless pits, and floating blocks that contain things. Removing them would be stranger than taking them out just because some folks don't think they're relevant anymore.

Conversely, I wonder how people felt when FPS titles started phasing out medkits for regenerating health.

It stinks. Medkits forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Coins and lives stick around because they still work - coins are still effective as a means of guiding players through a level, and 1ups are still an effective incentive for exploring or successfully negotiating difficult obstacles, even in spite of how unimportant they are functionally.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The current solution of having lives but having so many of them that it doesn't matter seems to me to be kind of like having medkits in an FPS, but putting one behind every single piece of cover and having it respawn after a few seconds. Basically it would be like regenerating health, but dumber.

I guess I should be super clear in case this conversation goes any further that I'm not really invested either way. Modern Mario would make a little more sense to me if they just had no lives and an instant checkpoint respawn similar to Super Meat Boy but I don't think the current system is fundamentally broken or anything.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 7, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The only way I can see people that are decent at platformers care about 1-Ups and all would be if they just made another Mario game like Lost Levels.

I'd play it. :allears:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

1ups are still an effective incentive for exploring or successfully negotiating difficult obstacles, even in spite of how unimportant they are functionally.

This is arguable. If you aren't concerned with lives because you have so damned many of them, why bother exploring for more of them? At least Star Coins in SMB3DL act as a sort of barrier that you must surpass to access more content, until you reach the extra levels, lives are effectively meaningless, especially if they're being passed out like candy or can be easily acquired during the course of regular gameplay. At some point, I'd take a random route in 3D Land and be disappointed by finding a 1-up. I stopped caring about them. I only gave a poo poo about the star coins.

1-ups stopped being meaningful as early as Mario 3, when Nintendo started introducing so many additional ways to get more of them.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The medkit thing is a pretty good comparison to make to the endless stream of 1up in current Mario games. In both cases, developers took something that wasn't ideal and replaced it with something much shittier, in the interest of eliminating anything that remotely resembles a failure condition.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

If you think it's bad in NSMBU, you should play NSMB2. The metagame is to collect 1 million coins and you still get a 1-up every 100. By the end of the first world I had something like 120 lives saved up and that's without any sort of effort at all towards getting coins.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

fivegears4reverse posted:

This is arguable. If you aren't concerned with lives because you have so damned many of them, why bother exploring for more of them?

I dunno, I think that it's just human nature to go for them. Just having it be there is enough of an incentive for plenty of people.

Also, you have to consider that the 1-ups might not be necessary for everyone, but for a kid who's playing his first platformer? They're probably going to die and use continues often.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, a lot of people might not know about Gameloft, but they make pretty neat games for mobile devices and sometimes consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlMpi5_-6I They pulled this off on mobile devices.

On the PS3, they released Modern Combat - Domination, it was a very fun cheap game and it was basically a seven dollar counter-strike for PS3 owners.

I really hope they develop stuff for WiiU, it'd be neat to have a cheap FPS game everyone's on since a lot of people have this hatred of CoD, or just can't shell out sixty bucks for another FPS while people are still online.

EDIT: Mario Lives talk: Yeah they keep the lives system around just because it's tradition. It does nothing anymore since game-overs no longer erase your progress, and I don't want to meet the person who wants it to be that way again.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 7, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

As many have said, Lives persist in Mario games to preserve the iconography of the one-up mushroom and the life-every-100-coins schtick.

From a gameplay standpoint they don't really add anything anymore though. Except on that coin boost mode.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really hope they develop stuff for WiiU, it'd be neat to have a cheap FPS game everyone's on since a lot of people have this hatred of CoD, or just can't shell out sixty bucks for another FPS while people are still online.

I don't like Gameloft too much but I'd probably at least keep something f2p like Blacklight: Retribution on my hard drive if it were ported to Wii U. I still load up that game once in a blue moon and play for a round, and I don't like the type of shooter it is(MW2-esque) much at all typically.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't like Gameloft too much but I'd probably at least keep something f2p like Blacklight: Retribution on my hard drive if it were ported to Wii U. I still load up that game once in a blue moon and play for a round, and I don't like the type of shooter it is(MW2-esque) much at all typically.

I was really hoping to get Ghost Recon Online on the Wu but no one even plays it on the PC for some reason, so, either Ubi is going to make a big push for it to grab more people (highly unlikely) or they're just gonna say "loving waste of money" and let it die.

It'd be awesome if the WiiU had F2P games though. I mean it's perfect for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fivegears4reverse posted:

If you aren't concerned with lives because you have so damned many of them, why bother exploring for more of them?

It's not about looking for 1ups in and of themselves, it's about getting acknowledgement for doing something cool or finding a clever path; the "reward" itself doesn't matter nearly as much as you might think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Nintendo Land! (click)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Gimme a TF2 port with Kid Icarus Controls and/or Metroid Prime 3 controls and let me sync it with my Steam and YESSSSS I WOULD PAY (even tho it's F2P already).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That 1-up jingle is burned deep into my memory and if I didn't hear it on every 100th coin collected it would be like a part of my childhood had died :smith:

Edit: but it'd be okay because it still has 98 lives left

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 7, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

greatn posted:

Why do you think it has so many problems with routers? I have a standard WPA2 protected 802.11n Belkin I bought last year and have had zero problems. I didn't have to put in anything manually, didn't have to change any router settings.

Other people have reported a nightmare though. Is it possible because they have a lot of advanced settings they have been using to block xbla ads or something?

I know for a fact it isn't my network, I use an apple AirPort Extreme as the main router which it connects to fine but downloading sonic racing was a 6 hour ordeal. I figured it might be because I have a few 802.11g devices on 2.5ghz so I setup my spare wap as a 2.5 ghz 802.11n wap with nothing connected and the download didn't speed up a bit.

Connection wise I haven't had an issue but download speed is a goddamn nightmare I never wish to do again.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Gimme a TF2 port with Kid Icarus Controls and/or Metroid Prime 3 controls and let me sync it with my Steam and YESSSSS I WOULD PAY (even tho it's F2P already).

This'd be neat just to play on the pad in bed.

But there'd be no mods, no instant respawn servers, no "premium" servers, it would run smooth as hell, it would...

So yeah let's start emailing Valve. Give me Wii+nunchuck controls and it'll be loving great.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's not about looking for 1ups in and of themselves, it's about getting acknowledgement for doing something cool or finding a clever path; the "reward" itself doesn't matter nearly as much as you might think.

Rayman lets you unlock costumes which is way radder.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bilperkins2 posted:

There's plenty of Mii sties that have QR codes that you can just scan. I got like 50 characters from this site. Marios, Batmans, Robocops, just held my iPad in front of my WiiU tablet and it was super quick.
Oh awesome! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Fergus, you really hate Mario, don't you?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Excuse me what is this

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

I wanna know how complicated it would be to rocket jump with either setup.

Then I wanna master it. :getin:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Excuse me what is this

Something that looks incredibly uncomfortable to use for an extended period of time.

The true question is "remember this?"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Edoraz posted:

Fergus, you really hate Mario, don't you?

I think it's more that he loves Rayman and knows it's gonna get clobbered sales wise by Mario despite being a great game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Excuse me what is this

I see they're bringing back the much beloved PSP nubs!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Captain Tolerable posted:

Something that looks incredibly uncomfortable to use for an extended period of time.

The true question is "remember this?"

:laffo: what the hell is that, it looks like a liferaft.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

AngryCaterpillar posted:

:laffo: what the hell is that, it looks like a liferaft.

Every time I look at the Razer Fiona, I can't help but remember the goldmined thread where Kirk had a complete breakdown over the thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How the hell did I manage to avoid playing Metroid Blast up to this point :psyduck: I was waiting for my Gold Nunchuck to show up. Now I'm kinda questioning my judgment. Game is sick.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
Since this came up last page, I thought this link might be worth reading. It's a pretty good summary of most of the complaints people seem to be throwing at the account system right now. It's not to say it isn't progress, just that the accounts seem almost entirely like just a replacement for friendcodes functionally, and ultimately the DRM is practically the same as the Wii, which is downright ridiculous in this day and age.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I just got my WiiU! NintendoLand is awesome, but besides Mario is anything else any good? Assassin's Creed? Avengers?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fishylungs posted:

I just got my WiiU! NintendoLand is awesome, but besides Mario is anything else any good? Assassin's Creed? Avengers?
Avengers is not out yet, and I believe it's a port of a Kinect game that's desperately trying to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I'd stay away.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fishylungs posted:

ZombiU. It's easy to die, and dying can cause you to lose everything, it's super freekin tense.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This guy got sub 40 seconds on the first course of Donkey Kong Crash Course... the short cuts he uses are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGaH1L7xyzQ

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Lives are still a thing in Mario in the same way that there are blocks that you repeatedly headbutt to get coins instead of a big chunk, or like trying to reach for the highest part on the flag. They're also like the announcer shouting about your killing spree in Unreal Tournament, or about the sweetness of your combo in Killer Instinct, or being able to smack around other players while Rayman loads a level, or loving around with silly ragdolls in Dark Souls, or big head mode in pretty much any mid-nineties Acclaim game. Y'know, pointless poo poo that remind you why videogames are still awesome.
It's hard to make any collectable worthwhile in Mario games because Nintendo tries so hard to reward cleverness while not dicking over people who are lovely at their games, lest they quickly lose interest. Even those three big coins per level that they've come to rely on: They have to hold levels in ransom in order to give them any value and reward good players, which make them very expensive to produce considering the percentage of players that will ever even get to see them. Hence they'd rather put in a low-impact reward that, while more symbolic than anything, is better than just hitting getting a :geno: power-up that does nothing.

PaletteSwappedNinja knows what's up.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

To be fair, lives matter a little more in multiplayer NSMBU, because you're gonna be burning through them faster.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fishylungs posted:

I'd put in for Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. It is actually an extremely good (And extremely hard) arcade racer. There was a bug that kept you from completing certain events, but the newest patch resolved that, so you can go into it without reservation!

And it is only $40!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 7, 2012

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
What's with those coins? Mario never buys anything. And since when is a turtle deadly to the touch?

This whole Mario business doesn't make sense to this gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Gutcruncher posted:

Zombtwo
Zombtoo?

Edit: ZombtU

2ombiU

• Locked thread